Jump to content

  • Podcast:     

  • Podcast:     

AFLW: Rd 04 vs Western Bulldogs



Recommended Posts

45 minutes ago, Deemented Are Go! said:

Going to miss Goldrick’s kamikaze zip out of the back half. 
is she injured or dropped? 

Information from the club.

Sinead Goldrick suffered a head knock late in last week’s clash against North Melbourne, and under the AFL’s concussion rules, is automatically ruled out.

She was important for us with her drive from the backline.

 

Edited by kev martin
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good luck today ladies. By the end of the day, I hope to see the following headline: ”Devastating Demons Destroy Disappointing Dogs”

Back down to earth with a bang. We had more than enough opportunities to win. Inaccuracy did for us. It happens. Bitterly disappointing to cough it up like that but we just have to regroup and go

Yes absolutely but I won’t be watching the replay 🙄

Posted Images


Is Magee another Irish woman ? The side is fairly steady but the back line worries me a little. Thankfullly footscrays forwards are not tall. The centre line of Pearce, Paxman, Gay and Hanks I think is close to the best in the comp. Hard to win out there.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Goldrick is a huge blow will be interesting to see if first gamer Magee can replace her like for like.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Darkhorse72 said:

Looks like we broke North last week, pie son control oil them at the moment.

Pie so control oil them at the moment! Oh now I understand. Que?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Darkhorse72 said:

Looks like we broke North last week, pies in control of them at the moment.

North were terrible. Flat as a tack. No goals for the game!

The pies have 4 wins on the board but hard to get a read of their form. I reckon we have their measure. We won’t give their defence such any easy ride like the Roos did this evening.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Better days ahead said:

North were terrible. Flat as a tack. No goals for the game!

The pies have 4 wins on the board but hard to get a read of their form. I reckon we have their measure. We won’t give their defence such any easy ride like the Roos did this evening.

That was Norf’s lowest ever V/AFL/AFLW score in it’s history. 
 

The previous lowest being 1.8 (14) R19 in 2019 (men’s v Geel) 

Link to post
Share on other sites

M

22 minutes ago, Deemented Are Go! said:

That was Norf’s lowest ever V/AFL/AFLW score in it’s history. 
 

The previous lowest being 1.8 (14) R19 in 2019 (men’s v Geel) 

That’s a great stat!

 

The way the %’s are we basically need to win every game from here out to make top 2 let alone top 4. Going to be a tough slog for the W team. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Better days ahead said:

North were terrible. Flat as a tack. No goals for the game!

The pies have 4 wins on the board but hard to get a read of their form. I reckon we have their measure. We won’t give their defence such any easy ride like the Roos did this evening.

Watching their games I really haven't rated them based on their opposition.  But they have won 4/4. roos' seemed to have hit a wall at the moment, terrible footy decisions today. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, kev martin said:

Women needed a "speakeasy".

Not allowed in front bar, required a male to buy the grog when in the lounge in the earlier years.

Restricted bar times created the need for sly grog shops in Australia, (closed after 6pm and on Sunday).

 

Sorry mate, it's not that I mind being corrected, but I like to be corrected correctly. Ladies had the lounge. A speakeasy was far too grungy for a ladies' lounge.

The following, I was lazy and copied it from Wikipedia, is my understanding of the term speakeasy: "A speakeasy, also called a blind pig or blind tiger, is an illicit establishment that sells alcoholic beverages. Such establishments came into prominence in the United States during the Prohibition era (1920–1933, longer in some states)."

Drinkers could ask for the illegal liquor they wanted without needing to speak in code hence the term: Speakeasy. I did some Sunday drinking in a Carlton sly grog shop. No one ever called it a speakeasy. It was always on the sly. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Am beginning to think North aren't as good as many thought.  Track record so far is:

  • Rnd 1: vs Cats.  Win 11.5.71 vs 1.3.9
  • Rnd 2: vs Saints.  Win 5.6.36 vs 1.4.10
  • Rnd 3: vs Mighty Dees: Loss 8.3.51 vs 9.6.60
  • Rnd 4: vs Pies: Loss 0.8.8 vs 4.4.28 

I don't think they are as bad as the score vs Pies suggests (bad kicking) nor as good as the first two wins vs newbie teams.  Are they becoming the 'flat track bullies' of the AFLW?

Hopefully today's game gives more insight on where we sit in the comp.  It is also a classic '8-point game'.  Win and we go two games up on North, Bulldogs, Carlton and maybe Crows, if they lose to Lions today who are playing at home.  I know it is early in the season to talk of '8-point' games but with 5 rounds after today a win gives us a foot on the top four of the ladder.

I've now made myself more nervous about today's game.😬

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

We will miss Goldrick big time.  She saved the bacon a couple of times last week on her own.

Welcome to Lauren "speccie"McGee for her first game.  If she plays as well as what we saw in the All Ireland final, she will fill the gap left by Goldrick.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Am beginning to think North aren't as good as many thought.  Track record so far is:

  • Rnd 1: vs Cats.  Win 11.5.71 vs 1.3.9
  • Rnd 2: vs Saints.  Win 5.6.36 vs 1.4.10
  • Rnd 3: vs Mighty Dees: Loss 8.3.51 vs 9.6.60
  • Rnd 4: vs Pies: Loss 0.8.8 vs 4.4.28 

I don't think they are as bad as the score vs Pies suggests (bad kicking) nor as good as the first two wins vs newbie teams.  Are they becoming the 'flat track bullies' of the AFLW?

Hopefully today's game gives more insight on where we sit in the comp.  It is also a classic '8-point game'.  Win and we go two games up on North, Bulldogs, Carlton and maybe Crows, if they lose to Lions today who are playing at home.  I know it is early in the season to talk of '8-point' games but with 5 rounds after today a win gives us a foot on the top four of the ladder.

I've now made myself more nervous about today's game.😬

Form lines still hard to read but I’m glad North have dropped the 2 games. They’re still a danger team and may well take points from the other contenders.  

It is an 8-pointer today. A 2 game advantage is big in a 9-game home and away season even this early.

One advantage we have as well is we’re the only Victorian team to have played an inter-state game thus far. 1 less trip for us could be a factor later on as teams tire through the season.

Link to post
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Better days ahead said:

Form lines still hard to read but I’m glad North have dropped the 2 games. They’re still a danger team and may well take points from the other contenders.  

It is an 8-pointer today. A 2 game advantage is big in a 9-game home and away season even this early.

One advantage we have as well is we’re the only Victorian team to have played an inter-state game thus far. 1 less trip for us could be a factor later on as teams tire through the season.

Not sure how much of an advantage as not all teams play each other so the fixture depends on how the AFL manipulates it to help the teams they want in the finals.  I've mentioned it before but Carlton is one such team.  Since they lost their first two they have played newbie teams; Saints and Tigers. 

I would expect them to get a lot more of the low teams to help them to finals.  On the other hand we will get Freo, Crows, Lions and GWS making it harder for us to finish up the ladder/top 4.  How many of those 4 games are i/state who knows but we need to win i/state because of 'Home' finals. 

tbh, I'm not worried by the travel.  I'm more worried by the AFL manipulating the fixture to favour teams and to help broadcasters with 'blockbuster' games.

I will be filthy if we or one of the other 'top' teams' miss finals or the top four because a fixture 'fix' gets teams like Carlton in. 

The fixture is already distorted by not all teams playing each other.  This week-to-week fixturing adds to the farce.  Time for the AFL to set out the next five weeks and if covid lockdowns interfere then amend it at the time.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Neil Crompton said:

“Devastating Demons Destroy Disappointing Dogs”

Dee-lightful headline Mr Crompton. 

Go Dees!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Not sure how much of an advantage as not all teams play each other so the fixture depends on how the AFL manipulates it to help the teams they want in the finals.  I've mentioned it before but Carlton is one such team.  Since they lost their first two they have played newbie teams; Saints and Tigers. 

I would expect them to get a lot more of the low teams to help them to finals.  On the other hand we will get Freo, Crows, Lions and GWS making it harder for us to finish up the ladder/top 4.  How many of those 4 games are i/state who knows but we need to win i/state because of 'Home' finals. 

tbh, I'm not worried by the travel.  I'm more worried by the AFL manipulating the fixture to favour teams and to help broadcasters with 'blockbuster' games.

I will be filthy if we or one of the other 'top' teams' miss finals or the top four because a fixture 'fix' gets teams like Carlton in. 

The fixture is already distorted by not all teams playing each other.  This week-to-week fixturing adds to the farce.  Time for the AFL to set out the next five weeks and if covid lockdowns interfere then amend it at the time.

Valid points LH. The mysteriousness of the draw and Covid uncertainly could all work against us yet.

The conference system was a joke last year and Carlton fluked their way to the final. It won't happen again this year because they are very average imv. Prespakis and Harris is all they've got. They made Richmond look decent yesterday!

I wouldn’t discount the travel factor though. We were very sluggish out of the gate v gold coast and tired badly in the last quarter. A better team would have run over the top of us. Granted we travelled up and back same day which other teams probably won't do. 

Anyways I have to get myself organised and head to Footscray.

Go Dees!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, RigidMiddleDigit said:

Sorry mate, it's not that I mind being corrected, but I like to be corrected correctly. Ladies had the lounge. A speakeasy was far too grungy for a ladies' lounge.

The following, I was lazy and copied it from Wikipedia, is my understanding of the term speakeasy: "A speakeasy, also called a blind pig or blind tiger, is an illicit establishment that sells alcoholic beverages. Such establishments came into prominence in the United States during the Prohibition era (1920–1933, longer in some states)."

Drinkers could ask for the illegal liquor they wanted without needing to speak in code hence the term: Speakeasy. I did some Sunday drinking in a Carlton sly grog shop. No one ever called it a speakeasy. It was always on the sly. 

I didn't realise that you were talking about the origin of the word and not its meaning. 

You also indicated that Australian liquor laws were reasonable and we didn't need the sly grog places. So I pointed out the inequalities (prohibition) for women, given this forum is about the women's team.

"Too grungy" for women. Should be their choice, though males patronise and take that decision away from them.

Here is a Wikipedia cut and paste about women and the need for male supervision in the lounge area.

The main bar of the typical Australian pub, usually the largest, was the so-called "Public Bar". However, this title was an ironic misnomer, as until the early to mid-1970s (1969 in Queensland), only men were permitted to drink in Public Bars: most pubs included a "Ladies' Lounge" furnished with chairs and tables where women and men could drink together, but women were usually not admitted to the Lounge Bar unless accompanied by a man, and were usually not permitted to buy their own drinks.

Sorry about derailing the thread.

Go Dees.

Edited by kev martin
Link to post
Share on other sites

That was rather selfish (by Zanka, I think?) trying to kick a goal form outside 50!  Didn't even look for a team mate.  Low percentage play.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone else feel like we never actually gain from the wind?  Strange quirk; possibly a tactical coaching oversight?

Wonder if Zanker's "ambitious" long shot on goal was a product of a general instruction to try to use the wind?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    UNDER MY SKIN by The Oracle

    The story goes that there’s a certain player from Geelong who has been seen in Moorabool Street crooning the old Sinatra classic, “I’ve got you under my skin.” His name is O’Connor and he’s been tasked to achieve one thing on Sunday by his coach, Chris Scott: to get under the skin of a Demon midfielder on Sunday and thereby tag him out of the big contest at the G. The idea behind the tactic is to not only blunt one of the team’s most destructive weapons but to distract them all from producing th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    CAPITAL PUNISHMENT by George on the Outer

    A 34-point win in the nation’s capital has seen the Demons kill the Giants hopes early in the 2021 season. It wasn’t only the scoreboard, but a succession of injuries to major players for GWS that has put paid to their aspirations. The winning result wasn’t just due to the opposition losing players, but also to the relentless pressure from this 2021 Melbourne side that put them in the winners circle. In past years, a 16 point deficit at the first change combined with a rampant Toby Greene w

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    POWER AND THE PASSION by Whispering Jack

    The Demons ran out for their Qualifying Final match against the Fremantle Dockers at Casey Fields as the sounds of Midnight Oils’ “Power and the Passion cascaded over the mainly friendly pro-Melbourne crowd. It was a far cry from the season opener at Carrara in late January where few of their fans were in attendance in high 20’s heat and humidity and silence greeted every score from the slow-starting Demons. They ran away from the lowly Suns, won comfortably in the end and followed that with ano

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    BREAK OUT by Whispering Jack

    Despite the chaotic events occurring in Canberra over the past few weeks, one thing is for certain. This weekend’s game at Manuka Oval in the nation’s capital between the GWS Giants and Melbourne will decide which of Scott Morrison or Leon Cameron is the most under the pump at this point in time.  This time twelve months ago, the Giants were coming off a season in which they had played off in a grand final. They opened up their 2020 campaign with a resounding 32-point victory in round 1 aga

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    MARVELOUS PRESSURE by George on the Outer

    Is this a new form of Melbourne which has suddenly emerged in 2021?  In the past, whenever the pressure was applied, the team would falter early and as a consequence, it would more often than not, be forced to confront its own self-inflicted failure. But perhaps not so this year. The match at Marvel Stadium against the Saints provided an insight into how creating pressure, actually relieves it on the club, players and coach. Right from the start, Melbourne was there to make a stat

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    STUCK IN THE MIDDLE by The Oracle

    Throughout the off season, St Kilda was touted as an improver and a possible challenger for a top four position mainly off the back of another good trade and draft period at the end of last year. Then in Round 1, the undermanned Saints made a shaky start and almost succumbed to the Giants but they managed to come home from a wet and woolly Sydney with the four points intact. For Round 2, they have a couple of handy players returning so they come into the the game at Marvel Stadium choc

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    A SCRAPPY, SLOPPY SUCCESS by George on the Outer

    After what seemed like an eternity without Footy in Melbourne, the Demons and their fans produced a scrappy, sloppy yet successful return to the MCG. Yet is was against an interstate team from the furthest reaches of the country, but the 21K fans who made it through the gates, was way below expectations for numbers.  Sure it can’t have helped with all the difficulty that Ticketek imposed just to get a ticket, and since you just couldn’t walk up, perhaps the number wasn’t that surprising.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    UNFINISHED BUSINESS by Whispering Jack

    The Melbourne Football Club has unfinished business with Fremantle after that unexpected loss in their previous clash at Cazaly’s Stadium in Cairns cost it a place in last year’s finals campaign.   Back then, the tired Demons spluttered listlessly through the humid conditions in tropical far North Queensland playing in and losing two games in the space of four days and against two lowly clubs. The end result was much more than an embarrassment for the club given what was at stake at th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    PRACTICE PUMMELLING by George on the Outer

    Was this a practice for what lay ahead for the Demons in 2021 or was it an outcome to expect because it was used as a true practice game? Those of us on the outside will never know, but a 39 point loss to the Western Bulldogs was a pummelling in anyone’s language. We can draw some consolation from the players that Melbourne put on the field, with Toby Bedford, Jake Bowey, Kade Chandler, James Jordon and Tom Sparrow each getting a guernsey whereas they probably would not normally be in the f

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    A WALK IN THE PAST by Whispering Jack

    On Monday night, the Melbourne Football Club handed out four life memberships. Two of those awards went to men who are long gone. Charles ‘Chubby’ Forrester and James ‘Jas’ Byrne played for the club in the 1870s, even before the Victorian Football Association was formed. The other two are current skipper Max Gawn and swingman Tom McDonald, who almost left the club at the end of the pandemic-affected 2020 season. Some fans might have raised their eyebrows and wondered whether the emphasis on hist

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SOUNDS OF SILENCE by Whispering Jack

    This was my first game for points involving the Demons in more than a year and a half and the long march to Carrara turned out to be worthwhile. The game was won in a single withering quarter that was dominated by Melbourne on the back of an outstanding display from Karen Paxman. The four-time All Australian picked up 13 touches for the stanza to set up a five goal to nothing second term after a lacklustre start in which the cleaner, sharper Gold Coast notched up the first two goals of the game

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    BRIDESMAIDS AGAIN by Whispering Jack

    Historians of the future will have little difficulty in finding words to define the year 2020. “Covid-19”, “pandemic” and “plague” come readily to mind. The Covid-19 pandemic dominated the year in every aspect of life and it certainly didn’t spare AFL football or the Melbourne Football Club. In the circumstances however, it didn’t treat it as badly as the Spanish Flu epidemic which raged a century earlier from February 1918, through 1919 and into 1920 when it finally petered out in April of

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features


×
×
  • Create New...