• Podcast:     

• Podcast:     

WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - MAJAK DAW

Hooray,

Great news,  I was surprised that North would dump half its team let alone Majak.

I thought straight away he was a player that would have an impact.

Luckily it is with us.  The only concern I have is that they don't play him, just like Harley Bennell who was given very little chance at all.

• Like 1
  • Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some of the commentary on here is genuinely unbelievable. You'd think we'd used pick 1 in the draft on Daw. He's training with the club to see if he's capable of taking a spot on our list th

Spoke to him today. Humble as always, seems pumped to get stuck in.   🔴🔵

We should all be proud of the Club's announcement and receive the AFL's community award in 2021. Anything that keeps him away from Lulie Street it to be highly commended. On an equally serious no

Posted Images

12 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

How did he look physically mate? Doing a pre season for North Heidelberg is stark different to AFL. 

Makes you wonder how much catching he needs to do in terms of AFL fitness.

Looking fine Dazz. I mean, physically the man is a specimen as we know. Body is sound & good to go. 

But yes, fitness to AFL standard will be the key here mate. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I believe Majak will get his chance to play if needed if he makes the list. He is not in our best 22 however is an insurance to Max and able to play at both ends of the ground. A big strong unit that can be of value.

• Like 4

majak is a jack of all trades, master of none, but i actually don't see him as the 'ruck relief for max' option that same on here do - surely that's the role for luke jackson

i think he's best suited behind the ball, as a defender, but he can obviously pinch hit up forward too if needs be

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pollyanna said:

Like who?

no idea, I'm not a talent scout and I dont watch the lower leagues much.

but it seems logical there would be some decent ruck talent in the country that is not on an AFL list

1 hour ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

A question about the process...does a player have to be training with us to be eligible for selection? Or could we select anyone we like, such as a player training with another club or someone not even training with an AFL club at all?  

A very good question LDC my layman's answer is I think a player who is uncontacted can go anywhere as long as he and the club are in agreement and the club has a spot. So Saw could train with and then GCS could s ay to him come and join us we will pay you more and you have a better chance of regular gamed. But I am not certain that is the law. 

3 minutes ago, DubDee said:

no idea, I'm not a talent scout and I dont watch the lower leagues much.

but it seems logical there would be some decent ruck talent in the country that is not on an AFL list

How about - the club's talent scouts who watch the lower leagues have decided that Majak Daw is the best all round solution? It seems logical that they would have looked into it.

Edited by Pollyanna
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Shocked 1

2 minutes ago, Pollyanna said:

How about - the club's talent scouts who watch the lower leagues have decided that Majak Daw is the best all round solution?

yeah, I'm aware that's what has happened. I am just voicing my opinion that I think it's a bad call. or should we not never question potential recruiting decisions on this forum? 

Lots of anguish at him auditioning for a rookie spot.

I'm on the fence but it's not the worst move, not best 22 but covers some insurance in certain positions. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
29 minutes ago, DubDee said:

yeah, I'm aware that's what has happened. I am just voicing my opinion that I think it's a bad call. or should we not never question potential recruiting decisions on this forum? 

No, go right ahead. I thought you just might have some idea of a better alternative and that's how you decided it's a "bad call". 

Have a listen to the Alan Richardson SEN interview, he said they looked at many options and decided Majak is the most suitable one for our needs.

• Like 6

If you listen to the Alan Richardson segment on SEN (other thread), selecting Majak was really based on timing. They looked closely at a number of options including Paddy McCartin and younger players, but ruled them out based on a potential need for an early season callup to the ones. Paddy McCartin was discussed at some length, was seen as the player with highest talent against others named; but needed 4 weeks training non-contact, 4 weeks training with contact and then a couple of games before he would be viewed as available for selection - so was not considered further based on timing. Richo suggested a number of clubs would be looking at how he fared in the Sydney 2's.

• Like 3

Majak had a good season as a key/intercept defender before he jumped off the bridge. And he provides some decent ruck support. I doubt he will ever get back to his best football, but he could play a role for us. It seems like a smart decision in light of Ben Brown and Weideman's injuries.

• Like 3
55 minutes ago, whatwhatsaywhat said:

majak is a jack of all trades, master of none, but i actually don't see him as the 'ruck relief for max' option that same on here do - surely that's the role for luke jackson

i think he's best suited behind the ball, as a defender, but he can obviously pinch hit up forward too if needs be

I agree with what you've said here but I think we saw glimpses of LJ being able to hold the forward line together last year.

If we're short on good key forwards, we need LJ to be able to settle there for the first month or so. I think having him rotate through the ruck will be the go when Ben Brown returns.

Not sure we need an extra defender - only as insurance.

Edited by Cheesy D. Pun
  • Like 1

Daw played four games last year in a club that was fractured and, after a reasonably good start, was losing regularly. By the time, Daw got his chance to play they were pretty much down and out, struggling to perform and with a coach who had lost focus. Not the best of circumstances to attempt a comeback from a debilitating injury that he incurred in fairly turbulent circumstances. Still, it wasn’t a complete train wreck. He filled in as a backup ruck man/forward and managed a goal and a reasonable number of hit outs and possessions in the first three of those games. His last game for North was up on the Gold Coast when the team was destroying by the Suns. He got 9 possessions in a game that was a disaster for both him and the club. His cards with the Kangaroos were marked.

Sure, his career might be over but who knows? In a different environment and given opportunities, he might thrive. What do we have to lose by offering a one year contract?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dwayne-pipe just embarrassing himself on SEN, saying it’s worrying that Melbourne’s bringing in Majak, after bringing in Mitch Brown and Ben Brown over the summer, and why not play Luke Jackson and Weideman.

Face palm....

• Like 2
  • Haha 5
  • Facepalm 3

21 minutes ago, In Harmes Way said:

If you listen to the Alan Richardson segment on SEN (other thread), selecting Majak was really based on timing. They looked closely at a number of options including Paddy McCartin and younger players, but ruled them out based on a potential need for an early season callup to the ones. Paddy McCartin was discussed at some length, was seen as the player with highest talent against others named; but needed 4 weeks training non-contact, 4 weeks training with contact and then a couple of games before he would be viewed as available for selection - so was not considered further based on timing. Richo suggested a number of clubs would be looking at how he fared in the Sydney 2's.

It was a brilliant explanation by Richo, and it made a lot of sense.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Tim said:

Dwayne-pipe just embarrassing himself on SEN, saying it’s worrying that Melbourne’s bringing in Majak, after bringing in Mitch Brown and Ben Brown over the summer, and why not play Luke Jackson and Weideman.

Face palm....

Is that the same Dwayne Russell that basically said a few months ago that Luke Jackson won't make it as a player?

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
34 minutes ago, Pollyanna said:

No, go right ahead. I thought you just might have some idea of a better alternative and that's how you decided it's a "bad call". 

Have a listen to the Alan Richardson SEN interview, he said they looked at many options and decided Majak is the most suitable one for our needs.

no worries, I'll quit my job and start working as a talent scout on no money

Us thinking of the first 6 weeks of the season could be short sighted.  We have guys like M Brown that are ready to go, to fill in if needed.   a younger longer term prospect would be more worthwhile imo. i find it hard to believe there would be no prospects anywhere

40 minutes ago, Tim said:

Face palm....

When does Job-keeper roll off?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

• Demonland changed the title to WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - MAJAK DAW
  • Whispering_Jack featured this topic