• Podcast:     

Eddie McGuire Steps Down Effective Immediately

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Should have been shown the door after the King Kong comment.  He still doesn’t get it

There is a lot more that needs to be done to stamp out entrenched racism The booing of Adam Goodes by a big percentage of fans from most of the other clubs remains a huge low point for football (

Is Eddie taking it on the chins?

Posted Images

28 minutes ago, Ugottobekidding said:

How are NIKES sweatshops going?

How do you think their sales of sneakers in the US would go if the story was that they supported a racist football club in Australia? Especially after their advertising around Colin Kaepernick last year.

Report: Nike's sales jump 31% in wake of Kaepernick ad ...

Anti racism is part of Nike's brand. Collingwood sponsorship is chump change compared to the money they put into their brand.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Axis of Bob said:

How do you think their sales of sneakers in the US would go if the story was that they supported a racist football club in Australia? Especially after their advertising around Colin Kaepernick last year.

Report: Nike's sales jump 31% in wake of Kaepernick ad ...

Anti racism is part of Nike's brand. Collingwood sponsorship is chump change compared to the money they put into their brand.

70 million in the would not give it a thought AB.

1 hour ago, Mazer Rackham said:

Surely there are some in the western suburbs of Sydney, where they have excellent tasty & inexpensive locally made falafels to sweeten the deal.

lol stick that in your falafel and eat it Eddie! 

• Haha 1

You can take the boy out of Broadmeadows but you can't take the Broadmeadows out of the boy - nuff said.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Ugottobekidding said:

He was a better president than the lot we have had since our last premiership.

Couldn't care less. All I know is I don't have to listen to his commentary this year and for that I couldn't be happier. 

• Like 2
7 hours ago, ManDee said:

If you can't understand what the fuss is about if an aboriginal is called a monkey, a chimp or a gorilla the point is you don't get it.  You just don't get it. That's ok but commenting simply reinforces your lack of understanding. Eddie may have thought likening Goodes to King Kong was a compliment (unlikely) but that just shows how out of touch he is. It is an insult, greater than any insult most of us could understand.

Exactly.

It's ok to admit you don't know enough or haven't done enough walking in someone else's shoes but to pretend you do or claim you get it perfectly is what riles people up. Eddie's words of "We are not a racist club, never have been and are far from it". It's just uneducated hogwash and no-one wants to hear it anymore. 

• Like 2

It really is a shame a report into and to address the problem of racism in the football club somehow became all about Eddie. 

I'm sure victims of racism, past, present and future, would like to know what the club intend to do about what the report found and the recommendations it made.

Eddie has hogged the limelight for long enough.

• Like 6

On 2/9/2021 at 4:36 PM, Smokey said:

And he's gone. What a fantastic day for footy. Good riddance 

Good riddance indeed. What goes around, comes around. Finally gets his comeuppance for his own racist comments in 2013.

But like Teflon Trump, got away with sexist comments (Wilson, Rowe) and dishonest dealings (Olympic Park) over the years.

• Like 1

It s a bit of a cop-out to support Eddie now that he has gone.  challenge-the-behaviour-support-the-individual-indigenous-leader-backs-mcguire

It would have been far more courageous if it had come a week ago.  Not necessarily to change the outcome but to put a bit more perspective into the media talk. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

It s a bit of a cop-out to support Eddie now that he has gone.  challenge-the-behaviour-support-the-individual-indigenous-leader-backs-mcguire

It would have been far more courageous if it had come a week ago.  Not necessarily to change the outcome but to put a bit more perspective into the media talk. 

Luci, I would think that based on public knowledge of events past, the vast majority of people would say that Eddie had to go - that the Club would now be better off without him. And the realization of that fact, given the size of his ego, must be such a humiliating, devastating and earth shattering awakening for Eddie, you have got to wonder how this will affect his mental health. I hope he has close friends and family supporting him in this regard.

Given that we have all got what we had hoped for - and we have had our say on the matter - perhaps its now time to be more considerate of his state of mind - there is no honour in kicking a man when he is down. 

• Like 3
11 hours ago, Dame Gaga said:

It really is a shame a report into and to address the problem of racism in the football club somehow became all about Eddie. 

I'm sure victims of racism, past, present and future, would like to know what the club intend to do about what the report found and the recommendations it made.

Eddie has hogged the limelight for long enough.

Fair comment, but I was dissappointed in Jason Mifsuds comments this morning. He is/was part of the AFL machine and noted Buddy and Cyril weren't booed, even though Goodes was, and this somehow demonstrates that Goodes was personally the problem, not his colour.

This is a disgrace from Mifsud given his own heritage and the widely-accepted veiws that Goodes' probelm was that he spoke out on indigenoius matters, and if there's anything racists hate its an indigenous person having an opinion and god forbid expressing it - as Goodes did courageously on many occasions, and rightly so.

Buddy and Cyril were quiet on this issue thus not attracting the vitroil.

Mifsud owes Goods and apology. The headline notes he is an indigenous "leader" . - really?   

• Like 6

I’m no fan of Eddie. He should have handed over the reins a long time ago. He has run his mouth off way too often and made some indefensible comments over the years.  And he has to be one of the worst commentators to endure. Hopefully he gives that away for good as well.

The only time I want to see Eddie is for the ritual camera shot of him when Collingwood lose. I’ll miss that. I do hope the TV companies maintain that custom.

All that said, pretty sure we wouldn’t be fumbling around trying to get our home base project off the ground if Eddie was in charge.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Demon17 said:

Fair comment, but I was dissappointed in Jason Mifsuds comments this morning. He is/was part of the AFL machine and noted Buddy and Cyril weren't booed, even though Goodes was, and this somehow demonstrates that Goodes was personally the problem, not his colour.

This is a disgrace from Mifsud given his own heritage and the widely-accepted veiws that Goodes' probelm was that he spoke out on indigenoius matters, and if there's anything racists hate its an indigenous person having an opinion and god forbid expressing it - as Goodes did courageously on many occasions, and rightly so.

Buddy and Cyril were quiet on this issue thus not attracting the vitroil.

Mifsud owes Goods and apology. The headline notes he is an indigenous "leader" . - really?   

This is the nub of the Goodes issue.  My view is that (unfortunately) Goodes was booed because of the way the young girl was treated by AFL security at the game & by the AFL's clumsy efforts after the incident.

Others insist Goodes was booed because of his comments on Indigenous matters but how are you going to prove one way or another short of interviewing all the people booing at the game.

• Facepalm 1
On 2/9/2021 at 4:16 PM, Sir Why You Little said:

Should have been shown the door after the King Kong comment. 
He still doesn’t get it

Agreed; public comments need to be utilised with caution. Eddie has presented our own 'Donald J. Trump' clone over many years of self-serving comment, acquired but unfounded credibility, insult, attention and media focus (for what may come next). His history at The Filth has good points and less than noble points - regardless, the footballing public benefitted from his endeavours.

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, Cranky Franky said:

This is the nub of the Goodes issue.  My view is that (unfortunately) Goodes was booed because of the way the young girl was treated by AFL security at the game & by the AFL's clumsy efforts after the incident.

Others insist Goodes was booed because of his comments on Indigenous matters but how are you going to prove one way or another short of interviewing all the people booing at the game.

Disagree. The 'nub of the Goodes issue' is that he didn't 'know his place' and in Australia's particular racist environment if you're a 'minority' and dare to stand up to racism, be proud of your heritage and/or challenge people's internalized or casual racism then you will be hounded until you're back in the little box where we like you.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Lord Nev said:

Disagree. The 'nub of the Goodes issue' is that he didn't 'know his place' and in Australia's particular racist environment if you're a 'minority' and dare to stand up to racism, be proud of your heritage and/or challenge people's internalized or casual racism then you will be hounded until you're back in the little box where we like you.

Well said Nev

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Lord Nev said:

I know that suits the popular narrative but I and many others don't agree.

How would you prove it ?

I can't recall any other Indigenous players being systematically booed. Michael Long & Nicki Winmarin both made a stand & were not booed

In fact Eddie Betts & Mick O'Louglin would be 2 of the most well liked players of their era.

5 minutes ago, Cranky Franky said:

How would you prove it ?

I can't recall any other Indigenous players being systematically booed. Michael Long & Nicki Winmarin both made a stand & were not booed

In fact Eddie Betts & Mick O'Louglin would be 2 of the most well liked players of their era.

Both Long and Winmar were booed, but as it was just part of the orchestral arrangement of foul abuse they copped it didn't stand out so much.

I guess it counts as progress that the more explicit material is no longer accepted and booing was the remaining option.

I wonder if Aboriginal people would be content to see 25 years of change amount to reaching the point where the King Kong idiocy is the club president's contribution from the tip of the social iceberg, compared to the predecessor;

"As long as they conduct themselves like white people, well, off the field, everyone will admire and respect them … As long as they conduct themselves like human beings, they will be all right. That’s the key."

(Collingwood president Allan Mcalister responds to criticism of Collingwood fans abusing Nicky Winmar.)

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
10 minutes ago, Little Goffy said:

Both Long and Winmar were booed, but as it was just part of the orchestral arrangement of foul abuse they copped it didn't stand out so much.

I guess it counts as progress that the more explicit material is no longer accepted and booing was the remaining option.

I wonder if Aboriginal people would be content to see 25 years of change amount to reaching the point where the King Kong idiocy is the club president's contribution from the tip of the social iceberg, compared to the predecessor;

"As long as they conduct themselves like white people, well, off the field, everyone will admire and respect them … As long as they conduct themselves like human beings, they will be all right. That’s the key."

(Collingwood president Allan Mcalister responds to criticism of Collingwood fans abusing Nicky Winmar.)

It is incredible that [censored] Mcalister made those comments in 1993. Not 1953. 1993.

It sounds like a quote from Wake in Fright for god's sake. 

I had forgotten that Eddie succeeded Mcalister as President. As you say some progression that represents. Not. 

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/apr/17/black-and-proud-remembering-the-day-nicky-winmar-changed-footy-forever

Edited by binman
  • Like 2
10 minutes ago, Cranky Franky said:

How would you prove it ?

Couldn't care less if you agree or this whole idea of "narrative" you keep pushing, that's simply what it is and is why the 'others didn't get booed' logic doesn't stack up. You've just further made my point for me by bringing up Betts & O'Loughlin.

Long and Goodes' scenarios are not really similar.

You may want to look into the response Long got at first though, including death threats mailed to him. Doesn't seem you're really THAT up on the story mate. Plus there's the fact he was combating onfield racism and was strongly supported by the AFL. Wasn't exactly the same with Goodes hey?

Winmar had a poignant moment after being racially abused for a whole day in horrendous ways. Not at all similar to Goodes who was booed more intensely after winning Australian Of The Year and having numerous public appearances totally misrepresented by the media.

Let's not forget that Eddie said Goodes would have been treated better if he had 'given some warning' before doing his goal celebration; an Indigenous dance taught to him by Indigenous kids, after he (an Indigenous man) had just kicked an Indigenous ball through for a goal while wearing an Indigenous jumper in Indigenous round...

Stop making excuses for others and clearly yourself.

• Like 9
5 hours ago, Neil Crompton said:

Luci, I would think that based on public knowledge of events past, the vast majority of people would say that Eddie had to go - that the Club would now be better off without him. And the realization of that fact, given the size of his ego, must be such a humiliating, devastating and earth shattering awakening for Eddie, you have got to wonder how this will affect his mental health. I hope he has close friends and family supporting him in this regard.

Given that we have all got what we had hoped for - and we have had our say on the matter - perhaps its now time to be more considerate of his state of mind - there is no honour in kicking a man when he is down. 

I agree it was the right outcome.  He should have gone long ago for everyone's sake.   Yet, I think it is poor, even cowardly that people are supporting him now that the dastardly deed is done.  Had they spoken up earlier a bit of dignity may have been injected into his final downfall.  As it is he had to suffer a humiliating end. 

For all his shortcomings he has contributed much to many in all walks of life and I would have liked him to go out with some dignity and respect.  You raise a good point about his and his family's mental health.  After all he is only human. 

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 1