Jump to content

  • Podcast:     

  • Podcast:     

Eddie McGuire Steps Down Effective Immediately



Recommended Posts

  • Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Should have been shown the door after the King Kong comment.  He still doesn’t get it

There is a lot more that needs to be done to stamp out entrenched racism The booing of Adam Goodes by a big percentage of fans from most of the other clubs remains a huge low point for football (

Is Eddie taking it on the chins?

Posted Images


28 minutes ago, Ugottobekidding said:

How are NIKES sweatshops going?

How do you think their sales of sneakers in the US would go if the story was that they supported a racist football club in Australia? Especially after their advertising around Colin Kaepernick last year.

Report: Nike's sales jump 31% in wake of Kaepernick ad ...

Anti racism is part of Nike's brand. Collingwood sponsorship is chump change compared to the money they put into their brand.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Axis of Bob said:

How do you think their sales of sneakers in the US would go if the story was that they supported a racist football club in Australia? Especially after their advertising around Colin Kaepernick last year.

Report: Nike's sales jump 31% in wake of Kaepernick ad ...

Anti racism is part of Nike's brand. Collingwood sponsorship is chump change compared to the money they put into their brand.

70 million in the would not give it a thought AB.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mazer Rackham said:

Surely there are some in the western suburbs of Sydney, where they have excellent tasty & inexpensive locally made falafels to sweeten the deal.

lol stick that in your falafel and eat it Eddie! 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

You can take the boy out of Broadmeadows but you can't take the Broadmeadows out of the boy - nuff said.

  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ugottobekidding said:

He was a better president than the lot we have had since our last premiership.

Couldn't care less. All I know is I don't have to listen to his commentary this year and for that I couldn't be happier. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ManDee said:

If you can't understand what the fuss is about if an aboriginal is called a monkey, a chimp or a gorilla the point is you don't get it.  You just don't get it. That's ok but commenting simply reinforces your lack of understanding. Eddie may have thought likening Goodes to King Kong was a compliment (unlikely) but that just shows how out of touch he is. It is an insult, greater than any insult most of us could understand.

Exactly.

It's ok to admit you don't know enough or haven't done enough walking in someone else's shoes but to pretend you do or claim you get it perfectly is what riles people up. Eddie's words of "We are not a racist club, never have been and are far from it". It's just uneducated hogwash and no-one wants to hear it anymore. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

It really is a shame a report into and to address the problem of racism in the football club somehow became all about Eddie. 

I'm sure victims of racism, past, present and future, would like to know what the club intend to do about what the report found and the recommendations it made.

Eddie has hogged the limelight for long enough.

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 2/9/2021 at 4:36 PM, Smokey said:

And he's gone. What a fantastic day for footy. Good riddance 

Good riddance indeed. What goes around, comes around. Finally gets his comeuppance for his own racist comments in 2013.

But like Teflon Trump, got away with sexist comments (Wilson, Rowe) and dishonest dealings (Olympic Park) over the years.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It s a bit of a cop-out to support Eddie now that he has gone.  challenge-the-behaviour-support-the-individual-indigenous-leader-backs-mcguire

It would have been far more courageous if it had come a week ago.  Not necessarily to change the outcome but to put a bit more perspective into the media talk. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

It s a bit of a cop-out to support Eddie now that he has gone.  challenge-the-behaviour-support-the-individual-indigenous-leader-backs-mcguire

It would have been far more courageous if it had come a week ago.  Not necessarily to change the outcome but to put a bit more perspective into the media talk. 

Luci, I would think that based on public knowledge of events past, the vast majority of people would say that Eddie had to go - that the Club would now be better off without him. And the realization of that fact, given the size of his ego, must be such a humiliating, devastating and earth shattering awakening for Eddie, you have got to wonder how this will affect his mental health. I hope he has close friends and family supporting him in this regard.

Given that we have all got what we had hoped for - and we have had our say on the matter - perhaps its now time to be more considerate of his state of mind - there is no honour in kicking a man when he is down. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Dame Gaga said:

It really is a shame a report into and to address the problem of racism in the football club somehow became all about Eddie. 

I'm sure victims of racism, past, present and future, would like to know what the club intend to do about what the report found and the recommendations it made.

Eddie has hogged the limelight for long enough.

Fair comment, but I was dissappointed in Jason Mifsuds comments this morning. He is/was part of the AFL machine and noted Buddy and Cyril weren't booed, even though Goodes was, and this somehow demonstrates that Goodes was personally the problem, not his colour.

This is a disgrace from Mifsud given his own heritage and the widely-accepted veiws that Goodes' probelm was that he spoke out on indigenoius matters, and if there's anything racists hate its an indigenous person having an opinion and god forbid expressing it - as Goodes did courageously on many occasions, and rightly so.

Buddy and Cyril were quiet on this issue thus not attracting the vitroil.

Mifsud owes Goods and apology. The headline notes he is an indigenous "leader" . - really?   

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m no fan of Eddie. He should have handed over the reins a long time ago. He has run his mouth off way too often and made some indefensible comments over the years.  And he has to be one of the worst commentators to endure. Hopefully he gives that away for good as well.

The only time I want to see Eddie is for the ritual camera shot of him when Collingwood lose. I’ll miss that. I do hope the TV companies maintain that custom.

All that said, pretty sure we wouldn’t be fumbling around trying to get our home base project off the ground if Eddie was in charge.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Demon17 said:

Fair comment, but I was dissappointed in Jason Mifsuds comments this morning. He is/was part of the AFL machine and noted Buddy and Cyril weren't booed, even though Goodes was, and this somehow demonstrates that Goodes was personally the problem, not his colour.

This is a disgrace from Mifsud given his own heritage and the widely-accepted veiws that Goodes' probelm was that he spoke out on indigenoius matters, and if there's anything racists hate its an indigenous person having an opinion and god forbid expressing it - as Goodes did courageously on many occasions, and rightly so.

Buddy and Cyril were quiet on this issue thus not attracting the vitroil.

Mifsud owes Goods and apology. The headline notes he is an indigenous "leader" . - really?   

This is the nub of the Goodes issue.  My view is that (unfortunately) Goodes was booed because of the way the young girl was treated by AFL security at the game & by the AFL's clumsy efforts after the incident.

Others insist Goodes was booed because of his comments on Indigenous matters but how are you going to prove one way or another short of interviewing all the people booing at the game.

  • Facepalm 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/9/2021 at 4:16 PM, Sir Why You Little said:

Should have been shown the door after the King Kong comment. 
He still doesn’t get it

Agreed; public comments need to be utilised with caution. Eddie has presented our own 'Donald J. Trump' clone over many years of self-serving comment, acquired but unfounded credibility, insult, attention and media focus (for what may come next). His history at The Filth has good points and less than noble points - regardless, the footballing public benefitted from his endeavours.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Cranky Franky said:

This is the nub of the Goodes issue.  My view is that (unfortunately) Goodes was booed because of the way the young girl was treated by AFL security at the game & by the AFL's clumsy efforts after the incident.

Others insist Goodes was booed because of his comments on Indigenous matters but how are you going to prove one way or another short of interviewing all the people booing at the game.

Disagree. The 'nub of the Goodes issue' is that he didn't 'know his place' and in Australia's particular racist environment if you're a 'minority' and dare to stand up to racism, be proud of your heritage and/or challenge people's internalized or casual racism then you will be hounded until you're back in the little box where we like you.

  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lord Nev said:

Disagree. The 'nub of the Goodes issue' is that he didn't 'know his place' and in Australia's particular racist environment if you're a 'minority' and dare to stand up to racism, be proud of your heritage and/or challenge people's internalized or casual racism then you will be hounded until you're back in the little box where we like you.

Well said Nev

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Lord Nev said:

Disagree. The 'nub of the Goodes issue' is that he didn't 'know his place' and in Australia's particular racist environment if you're a 'minority' and dare to stand up to racism, be proud of your heritage and/or challenge people's internalized or casual racism then you will be hounded until you're back in the little box where we like you.

I know that suits the popular narrative but I and many others don't agree.

How would you prove it ?

I can't recall any other Indigenous players being systematically booed. Michael Long & Nicki Winmarin both made a stand & were not booed

In fact Eddie Betts & Mick O'Louglin would be 2 of the most well liked players of their era.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Cranky Franky said:

I know that suits the popular narrative but I and many others don't agree.

How would you prove it ?

I can't recall any other Indigenous players being systematically booed. Michael Long & Nicki Winmarin both made a stand & were not booed

In fact Eddie Betts & Mick O'Louglin would be 2 of the most well liked players of their era.

Both Long and Winmar were booed, but as it was just part of the orchestral arrangement of foul abuse they copped it didn't stand out so much.

I guess it counts as progress that the more explicit material is no longer accepted and booing was the remaining option.

I wonder if Aboriginal people would be content to see 25 years of change amount to reaching the point where the King Kong idiocy is the club president's contribution from the tip of the social iceberg, compared to the predecessor;

"As long as they conduct themselves like white people, well, off the field, everyone will admire and respect them … As long as they conduct themselves like human beings, they will be all right. That’s the key."

(Collingwood president Allan Mcalister responds to criticism of Collingwood fans abusing Nicky Winmar.)

  • Like 3
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Little Goffy said:

Both Long and Winmar were booed, but as it was just part of the orchestral arrangement of foul abuse they copped it didn't stand out so much.

I guess it counts as progress that the more explicit material is no longer accepted and booing was the remaining option.

I wonder if Aboriginal people would be content to see 25 years of change amount to reaching the point where the King Kong idiocy is the club president's contribution from the tip of the social iceberg, compared to the predecessor;

"As long as they conduct themselves like white people, well, off the field, everyone will admire and respect them … As long as they conduct themselves like human beings, they will be all right. That’s the key."

(Collingwood president Allan Mcalister responds to criticism of Collingwood fans abusing Nicky Winmar.)

It is incredible that [censored] Mcalister made those comments in 1993. Not 1953. 1993.

It sounds like a quote from Wake in Fright for god's sake. 

I had forgotten that Eddie succeeded Mcalister as President. As you say some progression that represents. Not. 

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/apr/17/black-and-proud-remembering-the-day-nicky-winmar-changed-footy-forever

Edited by binman
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Cranky Franky said:

I know that suits the popular narrative but I and many others don't agree.

How would you prove it ?

I can't recall any other Indigenous players being systematically booed. Michael Long & Nicki Winmarin both made a stand & were not booed

In fact Eddie Betts & Mick O'Louglin would be 2 of the most well liked players of their era.

Couldn't care less if you agree or this whole idea of "narrative" you keep pushing, that's simply what it is and is why the 'others didn't get booed' logic doesn't stack up. You've just further made my point for me by bringing up Betts & O'Loughlin.

Long and Goodes' scenarios are not really similar.

You may want to look into the response Long got at first though, including death threats mailed to him. Doesn't seem you're really THAT up on the story mate. Plus there's the fact he was combating onfield racism and was strongly supported by the AFL. Wasn't exactly the same with Goodes hey?

Winmar had a poignant moment after being racially abused for a whole day in horrendous ways. Not at all similar to Goodes who was booed more intensely after winning Australian Of The Year and having numerous public appearances totally misrepresented by the media.

Let's not forget that Eddie said Goodes would have been treated better if he had 'given some warning' before doing his goal celebration; an Indigenous dance taught to him by Indigenous kids, after he (an Indigenous man) had just kicked an Indigenous ball through for a goal while wearing an Indigenous jumper in Indigenous round...

Stop making excuses for others and clearly yourself.

 

  • Like 9
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Neil Crompton said:

Luci, I would think that based on public knowledge of events past, the vast majority of people would say that Eddie had to go - that the Club would now be better off without him. And the realization of that fact, given the size of his ego, must be such a humiliating, devastating and earth shattering awakening for Eddie, you have got to wonder how this will affect his mental health. I hope he has close friends and family supporting him in this regard.

Given that we have all got what we had hoped for - and we have had our say on the matter - perhaps its now time to be more considerate of his state of mind - there is no honour in kicking a man when he is down. 

I agree it was the right outcome.  He should have gone long ago for everyone's sake.   Yet, I think it is poor, even cowardly that people are supporting him now that the dastardly deed is done.  Had they spoken up earlier a bit of dignity may have been injected into his final downfall.  As it is he had to suffer a humiliating end. 

For all his shortcomings he has contributed much to many in all walks of life and I would have liked him to go out with some dignity and respect.  You raise a good point about his and his family's mental health.  After all he is only human. 

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    UNDER MY SKIN by The Oracle

    The story goes that there’s a certain player from Geelong who has been seen in Moorabool Street crooning the old Sinatra classic, “I’ve got you under my skin.” His name is O’Connor and he’s been tasked to achieve one thing on Sunday by his coach, Chris Scott: to get under the skin of a Demon midfielder on Sunday and thereby tag him out of the big contest at the G. The idea behind the tactic is to not only blunt one of the team’s most destructive weapons but to distract them all from producing th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    CAPITAL PUNISHMENT by George on the Outer

    A 34-point win in the nation’s capital has seen the Demons kill the Giants hopes early in the 2021 season. It wasn’t only the scoreboard, but a succession of injuries to major players for GWS that has put paid to their aspirations. The winning result wasn’t just due to the opposition losing players, but also to the relentless pressure from this 2021 Melbourne side that put them in the winners circle. In past years, a 16 point deficit at the first change combined with a rampant Toby Greene w

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    POWER AND THE PASSION by Whispering Jack

    The Demons ran out for their Qualifying Final match against the Fremantle Dockers at Casey Fields as the sounds of Midnight Oils’ “Power and the Passion cascaded over the mainly friendly pro-Melbourne crowd. It was a far cry from the season opener at Carrara in late January where few of their fans were in attendance in high 20’s heat and humidity and silence greeted every score from the slow-starting Demons. They ran away from the lowly Suns, won comfortably in the end and followed that with ano

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    BREAK OUT by Whispering Jack

    Despite the chaotic events occurring in Canberra over the past few weeks, one thing is for certain. This weekend’s game at Manuka Oval in the nation’s capital between the GWS Giants and Melbourne will decide which of Scott Morrison or Leon Cameron is the most under the pump at this point in time.  This time twelve months ago, the Giants were coming off a season in which they had played off in a grand final. They opened up their 2020 campaign with a resounding 32-point victory in round 1 aga

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    MARVELOUS PRESSURE by George on the Outer

    Is this a new form of Melbourne which has suddenly emerged in 2021?  In the past, whenever the pressure was applied, the team would falter early and as a consequence, it would more often than not, be forced to confront its own self-inflicted failure. But perhaps not so this year. The match at Marvel Stadium against the Saints provided an insight into how creating pressure, actually relieves it on the club, players and coach. Right from the start, Melbourne was there to make a stat

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    STUCK IN THE MIDDLE by The Oracle

    Throughout the off season, St Kilda was touted as an improver and a possible challenger for a top four position mainly off the back of another good trade and draft period at the end of last year. Then in Round 1, the undermanned Saints made a shaky start and almost succumbed to the Giants but they managed to come home from a wet and woolly Sydney with the four points intact. For Round 2, they have a couple of handy players returning so they come into the the game at Marvel Stadium choc

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    A SCRAPPY, SLOPPY SUCCESS by George on the Outer

    After what seemed like an eternity without Footy in Melbourne, the Demons and their fans produced a scrappy, sloppy yet successful return to the MCG. Yet is was against an interstate team from the furthest reaches of the country, but the 21K fans who made it through the gates, was way below expectations for numbers.  Sure it can’t have helped with all the difficulty that Ticketek imposed just to get a ticket, and since you just couldn’t walk up, perhaps the number wasn’t that surprising.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    UNFINISHED BUSINESS by Whispering Jack

    The Melbourne Football Club has unfinished business with Fremantle after that unexpected loss in their previous clash at Cazaly’s Stadium in Cairns cost it a place in last year’s finals campaign.   Back then, the tired Demons spluttered listlessly through the humid conditions in tropical far North Queensland playing in and losing two games in the space of four days and against two lowly clubs. The end result was much more than an embarrassment for the club given what was at stake at th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    PRACTICE PUMMELLING by George on the Outer

    Was this a practice for what lay ahead for the Demons in 2021 or was it an outcome to expect because it was used as a true practice game? Those of us on the outside will never know, but a 39 point loss to the Western Bulldogs was a pummelling in anyone’s language. We can draw some consolation from the players that Melbourne put on the field, with Toby Bedford, Jake Bowey, Kade Chandler, James Jordon and Tom Sparrow each getting a guernsey whereas they probably would not normally be in the f

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    A WALK IN THE PAST by Whispering Jack

    On Monday night, the Melbourne Football Club handed out four life memberships. Two of those awards went to men who are long gone. Charles ‘Chubby’ Forrester and James ‘Jas’ Byrne played for the club in the 1870s, even before the Victorian Football Association was formed. The other two are current skipper Max Gawn and swingman Tom McDonald, who almost left the club at the end of the pandemic-affected 2020 season. Some fans might have raised their eyebrows and wondered whether the emphasis on hist

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SOUNDS OF SILENCE by Whispering Jack

    This was my first game for points involving the Demons in more than a year and a half and the long march to Carrara turned out to be worthwhile. The game was won in a single withering quarter that was dominated by Melbourne on the back of an outstanding display from Karen Paxman. The four-time All Australian picked up 13 touches for the stanza to set up a five goal to nothing second term after a lacklustre start in which the cleaner, sharper Gold Coast notched up the first two goals of the game

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    BRIDESMAIDS AGAIN by Whispering Jack

    Historians of the future will have little difficulty in finding words to define the year 2020. “Covid-19”, “pandemic” and “plague” come readily to mind. The Covid-19 pandemic dominated the year in every aspect of life and it certainly didn’t spare AFL football or the Melbourne Football Club. In the circumstances however, it didn’t treat it as badly as the Spanish Flu epidemic which raged a century earlier from February 1918, through 1919 and into 1920 when it finally petered out in April of

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features


×
×
  • Create New...