• Podcast:     

• Podcast:     

TRAINING: Monday 18th January 2021

49 minutes ago, Dannyz said:

Melksham played 5 or 6 bad games in a year where our delivery of the footy in to the forwards was horrible and he had to uproot his young family to live on the road for 4 months, next thing he's the whipping boy of the entire list 😂

Don't be so fickle. Back our people, especially our leaders to bounce back. He's a class act. 

5 or 6 bad games or 18 months?

He didn't do much in 2019 either

Edited by BW511
  • Like 1
  • Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I got down to Casey today. It was good to be back watching the boys live. I waltzed into the ground and moved around at will, until Benny Gibson came over and told me I was welcome to stay, but that I

I arrived down at Casey (God's Country) around 9.15am and stayed until 11.30am.  The players began with forward 50 entries, they were about 60 out and delivering it to leads near the goal square

My first visit to Casey since the Saints preseason game maybe three years ago. The place has changed enormously, all for the good. Match simulation was well underway when I arrived at 10.30 (Note to s

32 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

He's defensive efforts were poor all year as was his appetite for the contest. That he captained the club for a game was frankly insulting to members, players, the jumper etc.

Maybe, but what if it was thought by the coach(es) that by giving him the role it would draw out his best again?  Given how surprising it seemed at the time, I reckon this may well have been the plan.  Would have been a masterstroke if it had worked.  And risked being seen an insult to members, players  if not.  Sitting on the outside it is hard to make strong statements.

We have tried different methods with many players and given most of them enough rope. This year I want only those that look most professional in that position/role in training and lead up games playing there. For me Melksham actually starts behind the 8 Ball as he has already been given 2 years to shine. He hasnt shone. The thought that we are still in the mind set of trying out the players we already know in the same possies while we hear that some coaching tweaks are being used, makes me very frustrated. I read about MarkC and he was a great Demons supporter who just didnt live long enough to taste success. 

The time is now for me. If we taper off this build at the end of 2021 I really will be reassessing my continued membership. Edit: Ive never said that EVER before.

Edited by Damo
  • Facepalm 1
10 hours ago, Caligula's cohort said:

Hello dworship, I could tell he was a demonlander tragic like myself. I'm pictured here with the red cap by jeff's elbow. Hopefully i'll get to know some of you die hard supporters like myself in the future. 

You look like dicky knee from hey hey its saturday Calidula. Ha ha.

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Hopefully he can do the famous number 48 and Kyle Dunkley (and whoever wore it before) justice....

Among those who wore number 48 in their first senior game are Stephen Newport, Luke Beveridge,  Darren Cuthbertson, Brent Grgic,  Matthew Bishop, Liam Jurrah, Jack Fitzpatrick and Corey Maynard.  

Quite a bit of talent there and they all later switched to lower numbers except Fitzy, who holds the record for the highest number of games played in that number, having totalled 22 games as a Demon wearing the #48.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, demonstone said:

Among those who wore number 48 in their first senior game are Stephen Newport, Luke Beveridge,  Darren Cuthbertson, Brent Grgic,  Matthew Bishop, Liam Jurrah, Jack Fitzpatrick and Corey Maynard.  

Quite a bit of talent there and they all later switched to lower numbers except Fitzy, who holds the record for the highest number of games played in that number, having totalled 22 games as a Demon wearing the #48.

Thank you sir. There are certainly some names there held in high esteem and Demon royalty. Bishop, Grgic...the names rattle off the tongue!

• Haha 1

I was surprised that we traded Bishop after just two seasons to Port Adelaide, where he played in their premiership.

I thought he was a good to very good player after coming off the rookie list and he went on to play 150 games.

We got pick 42 in the trade and used it on Michael Clark (son of Denis) who only played the one game.

As for Grgic ... he only played three good games in his career and two of those were against us!

• Like 1
8 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

He's defensive efforts were poor all year as was his appetite for the contest. That he captained the club for a game was frankly insulting to members, players, the jumper etc.

He does have talent, especially his ability to hit up a target inside 50, but if he can't do the basics then he's not a leader.

Actually it's his lack of discipline that most disappoints. The number of times I've seen him give away 50's is inexcusable and he is never pulled from the ground and put on the phone to the coach, also inexcusable.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, dworship said:

Actually it's his lack of discipline that most disappoints. The number of times I've seen him give away 50's is inexcusable and he is never pulled from the ground and put on the phone to the coach, also inexcusable.

It's not the mid 90s anymore - they don't need to waste an interchange rotation just so the coach can give someone a spray over the phone.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Seraph said:

It's not the mid 90s anymore - they don't need to waste an interchange rotation just so the coach can give someone a spray over the phone.

If you want to set standards and have good leadership then it's absolutely worth it. If you're worried about losing a rotation at the time then he should have been dropped the following week as a message. Anything but don't let it pass and if you think the only message that could be given on the phone is a spray then you probably don't know much about how to get the best out of people.

The biggest problem I see with Melksham is he sets a bad example and there doesn't appear to be any consequence or attempt to modify the behavior.  I can't remember which game he gave away the 2 penalties in but I do remember a number of players slumping the shoulders and their faces telling the story of what it meant to them. It's not just the penalties, it's the deflationary effect on the team and is often a momentum and motivation killer.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.