Jump to content

  • Podcast: Grand Final 2021      

  • Podcast: Grand Final      

2021 Injury List


Lord Nev
 Share


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Mental Demons said:

While I agree That T Mac will be a FA next year and will probably go somewhere else. There is no cap saving in this but we might be able to get some pick compensation of some sort if we can trade him. I suspect that is is unlikely that we will be able to pay Jackson what he will be offered elsewhere. Have a read of the article that I posted and put yourself in the position of list management. 

 

I have - and I found a lazy $500k for him behind my couch. ?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Better days ahead said:

He's contracted and going nowhere.

If the Weid can't nail down a spot and wants to leave then so be it. I'm a fan of the Weid and want him to stay but the reality is Dogga has shown more in 15 odd games than the Weid has in 5 seasons. 

He has a different skill set to Weid. I suspect we are more in need of what Weid offers. Jackson has value and we could get good picks/players for him. We have done well at the draft in recent times and this is better value for money.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


23 minutes ago, kev martin said:

Who is Liam, and why can't players go home? State borders aren't closed.

(Jurrah?) and why?

Yes, Liam Jurrah and I was joking. Luke Jackson broke his finger for a couple of weeks and now people are going crazy that he will leave the club, or we have to unload Weideman for some reason, contrary to all available evidence and logic. Text-book MFCSS. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Mental Demons said:

This move has been long anticipated. Despite all the logic, and being howled down on here before, I think it is very unlikely that Jackson will be in red and Blue next year. Weid has to come in or there is a danger of losing him too. Even Max has said that it is a luxury having Luke. A luxury is not a necessity. Jackson has been good but is superfluous to need.

The upside to this for Jackson and the team is that he is now valuable and the team has somebody to trade something good for. The lure of a move back to WA has always been there for the young player. Not being second to Max is also an attraction. I doubt there is a place for Jackson in our best 22, come finals time. If there is, who would be dropped for him? He is not more productive than our forwards. It is great having depth but it is hard to keep rising stars to be bit players for ever.

Perhaps if this team won a GF and Jackson was a part of that, he might want to stay. Short of that, I think it will be hard to keep him and he might have more value to the Demons as a trade. The only thing that may change this situation is if Tom Macdonald or Weideman leaves the club at years end. We have a short list now with long term injuries and there will be a new draft mid season and at seasons end. We are probably paying some players too much going forward. In this group would be Viney, Tomlinson, Tom Mac, Melksham, Jetta, Hibberd, Brayshaw. It is unlikely we will keep everyone.

With the long term signing of Petracca, these issues will start to be a problem. Value for money vs length of contract will start to be an problem. There is a good analysis of this problem.  https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-13/demons-christian-petracca-is-he-worth-seven-year-contract/100133302 

That's just Mental!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, dino rover said:

We aren't the only team with Premiership potential but we seem to be in the window right now and that will a powerful motivator for players to stay. The signing of Trac and other core elite players makes it a hard team to leave. Going to Gold Coast at least might not be so attractive in the context.

I think the Suns list management has been excellent in the last couple of years. It would not surprise me at all if they are where we are now in a couple of seasons.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Better days ahead said:

He's contracted and going nowhere.

If the Weid can't nail down a spot and wants to leave then so be it. I'm a fan of the Weid and want him to stay but the reality is Dogga has shown more in 15 odd games than the Weid has in 5 seasons. 

We’re all excited by Jacksons potential, but it’s simply untrue to say he’s already showed more than Weid. Weid has already had 3 goal, 20+ disposal game in a final where he was near BOG. Sure he’s been inconsistent with form and fitness, but he’s also averaged 2+ goals as number 1 tall target, and showed he was capable as a second ruck.

We all get excited when young guns start their careers, but let’s not make stuff up and say they’re already better than more proven players with better output.

That said, we’ve looked better at centre bounces with Dogga in there as ruck. His ground ball follow up gives us more drive than when Gawn is rucking the bounces. We should be aiming to get Dogga back in ASAP once he’s healthy again.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There's been at least 3 proposed replacements for Jackson: Weid, Daw or a mid.  The final suggestion didn't have much traction but it was my preferred because of Jackson's ground ball and tackling influence being harder to replace that his aerial contribution within the remaining 21.  I think just as they went for Petty and Hibberd when May was unavailable meaning Jetta got dropped, and then Petty and Harmes for Tomlinson and Baker.  I think they may go for another balanced pair of changes and I can see the merit in  Weid and Sparrow/Jones/Chandler for Jackson and Melksham.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Mental Demons said:

This move has been long anticipated. Despite all the logic, and being howled down on here before, I think it is very unlikely that Jackson will be in red and Blue next year. Weid has to come in or there is a danger of losing him too. Even Max has said that it is a luxury having Luke. A luxury is not a necessity. Jackson has been good but is superfluous to need.

The upside to this for Jackson and the team is that he is now valuable and the team has somebody to trade something good for. The lure of a move back to WA has always been there for the young player. Not being second to Max is also an attraction. I doubt there is a place for Jackson in our best 22, come finals time. If there is, who would be dropped for him? He is not more productive than our forwards. It is great having depth but it is hard to keep rising stars to be bit players for ever.

Perhaps if this team won a GF and Jackson was a part of that, he might want to stay. Short of that, I think it will be hard to keep him and he might have more value to the Demons as a trade. The only thing that may change this situation is if Tom Macdonald or Weideman leaves the club at years end. We have a short list now with long term injuries and there will be a new draft mid season and at seasons end. We are probably paying some players too much going forward. In this group would be Viney, Tomlinson, Tom Mac, Melksham, Jetta, Hibberd, Brayshaw. It is unlikely we will keep everyone.

With the long term signing of Petracca, these issues will start to be a problem. Value for money vs length of contract will start to be an problem. There is a good analysis of this problem.  https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-13/demons-christian-petracca-is-he-worth-seven-year-contract/100133302 

I have a gut feel Jackson won't be with us long term but certainly will be in the short-medium term.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, Skuit said:

Yes, Liam Jurrah and I was joking. Luke Jackson broke his finger for a couple of weeks and now people are going crazy that he will leave the club, or we have to unload Weideman for some reason, contrary to all available evidence and logic. Text-book MFCSS. 

There is a chance both Jackson, Pickett and Rivers could return to their home state if not managed well. This concern was well before his finger injury. I saw in a video from the club, loyalty written on Picketts arm, hope that is the same their thoughts for all of them, on the MFC. Yet, big bucks could be knocking on the door.

Edited by kev martin
  • Facepalm 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Mental Demons said:

He has a different skill set to Weid. I suspect we are more in need of what Weid offers. Jackson has value and we could get good picks/players for him. We have done well at the draft in recent times and this is better value for money.

Jackson is the most exciting prospect at MFC since well ... Oliver.  He's an absolutely unique gun that we need to do everything we can to retain.  He's 12 year dynasty material.  It's too easy to forget he's only 19yo.

Edited by Pollyanna
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

LJ is a salary cap manager's nightmare.

He projects the three worries:

  • Go home factor
  • A club prepared to pay overs to get him (Eagles)
  • Hitting very good form about one year in advance of anticipation

Hopefully the desire to play in a successful team is a counterbalance.

His contract will also come up for renewal at a time (next year) when there is little certainty in future salary cap levels.

Frankly a one year extension to end 2023 could be considered a win

PS IMO Weid has nothing to do with Jackson... two very different players.

One of Weid or TMac will go at season's end simply for salary cap reasons.

Edited by Diamond_Jim
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, kev martin said:

There is a chance both Jackson and Pickett could return to their home state if not managed well. This concern was well before his finger injury. I saw in a video from the club, loyalty written on Picketts arm, hope that is both their thoughts on the MFC. Yet, big bucks could be knocking on the door for both of them.

I left my home-town at the earliest possible opportunity, at about 17 (admittedly, it was Adelaide) and never went back. Is there any other elite sport in the world where fans fret over the origin of their players and some supposed go-home factor? Does it even really exist in the AFL, outside of an excuse to chase dollars? Jackson was on an elite basketball path - that means not even being in Australia. And it's not even clear where Kozzie's home is. They both seem entirely committed to the club for now and into the future, and I trust the club and our 'local' players to make them feel entirely at home chasing a flag together.  

  • Like 15
  • Love 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Skuit said:

I left my home-town at the earliest possible opportunity, at about 17 (admittedly, it was Adelaide) and never went back. Is there any other elite sport in the world where fans fret over the origin of their players and some supposed go-home factor? Does it even really exist in the AFL, outside of an excuse to chase dollars? Jackson was on an elite basketball path - that means not even being in Australia. And it's not even clear where Kozzie's home is. They both seem entirely committed to the club for now and into the future, and I trust the club and our 'local' players to make them feel entirely at home chasing a flag together.  

Really good question. Just keeping it close to home, does it happen in NRL, for example?   

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

Really good question. Just keeping it close to home, does it happen in NRL, for example?   

I wonder what Cam Smith, Cooper Cronk and Billy Slater would have to say about this matter.

Or Andrew Gaff

Or Matthew Pavlich

Or Patrick Dangerfield

Or Adam Goodes

Or Buddy Franklin

Or Lachie Neale

Point is that there is plenty of evidence that the go home factor is irrelevant, if the culture is what you desire and you have great relationships.

Edited by Engorged Onion
  • Like 8
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Mental Demons said:

With the long term signing of Petracca, these issues will start to be a problem. Value for money vs length of contract will start to be an problem. There is a good analysis of this problem.  https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-13/demons-christian-petracca-is-he-worth-seven-year-contract/100133302 

I had a different take on that article.  I took it as a huge endorsement of giving Petracca a long-term contract (without knowing what monies he is on, nor do I particularly care).  In terms of 'value' the graphs showed he is in the elite category so for mine whatever money he is on is good value.

I'm not worried about Petracca's contract starting problems.  Our President last week outlined the governance process the Club and the Board go through for contracts over a certain length.  She didn't say what it was but I would guess > 3 years.

I trust that our players we want to keep will be well rewarded.  Will they get as much as other clubs will offer, probably not.  But if we are in premiership contention for the next 3-5 years and a player chooses to leave for more $, then such is life.

Jackson has one of his best WA mates at the club:  Rivers.  Lots of reasons for Jackson to stay.  If he gets homesick well that is a different matter.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

Really good question. Just keeping it close to home, does it happen in NRL, for example?   

I don't know to be honest. Maybe elite sport in Australia is different to global sports? We've been busy trying to build a mature team - I would contend that maturity includes not wanting to go 'home' and play around with high-school friends. Anyone who does desire such - see Hogan perhaps - isn't the right fit to begin with. Let them walk. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Lord Travis said:

We all get excited when young guns start their careers, but let’s not make stuff up and say they’re already better than more proven players with better output.

What do you mean make it up? Blind Freddy could tell you Dogga is a generational talent with a unique skill set. Do you think I’m making it up if I say Kozzie has shown more than the Weid as well.

The Weid has been plenty inconsistent. At best he is a No.2 KPF. Don’t get me wrong, I like the Weid and think we’re better if we can integrate him into the team but if he’s so good why is Dogga and TMac keeping him out of the team.

I have doubts about the Weid. I have no doubts about Dogga.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mental Demons said:

I have mentioned a few.  I suspect that the FD have been wanting to get Weid in for a while. This injury allows that to happen. The reality is Jackson will be getting offers, that is the main one. We could not move a couple of players last year. You can only trade something that someone is willing to pay for. There are not many on our list that fall into that category. 

You don’t think LJ is in our best 22..??

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Out of interest, does anybody have any information or intel about Dogga wanting to go home. Is there substance to it or just our MFCSS fears getting the better of us?

I think the go home factor is overblown. Not many players actually move back to WA. Hogan did but it was on our terms. Kelly wanted to go back but his home sickness wasn't enough to convince him to join Freo. He waited until the Eagles made their move.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Skuit said:

I don't know to be honest. Maybe elite sport in Australia is different to global sports? We've been busy trying to build a mature team - I would contend that maturity includes not wanting to go 'home' and play around with high-school friends. Anyone who does desire such - see Hogan perhaps - isn't the right fit to begin with. Let them walk. 

Some movement from and to clubs is about the culture, player management and success. 

Hoping we are ticking most of the boxes in those areas and are becoming a destination club.

If I look at GWS and the Suns, so many of their players have moved

Home sickness may not be a major problem for the mature, but those clubs from the players origin state feel they have more capacity to lure the player back. There is a good chance the interstate stars will be hunted.

Edited by kev martin
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Mental Demons said:

With the long term signing of Petracca, these issues will start to be a problem. Value for money vs length of contract will start to be an problem. There is a good analysis of this problem.  https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-13/demons-christian-petracca-is-he-worth-seven-year-contract/100133302 

Thanks for sharing the link. A good read. I'm concerned you have comprehension problems though if your take-away was that Petracca's signing would lead to long-term issues. Exact opposite to the jist of the article you're providing as evidence. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Better days ahead said:

Out of interest, does anybody have any information or intel about Dogga wanting to go home. Is there substance to it or just our MFCSS fears getting the better of us?

I think the go home factor is overblown. Not many players actually move back to WA. Hogan did but it was on our terms. Kelly wanted to go back but his home sickness wasn't enough to convince him to join Freo. He waited until the Eagles made their move.

it's only one factor but it's real for WA. The sun and surf are very real.

As a hypothetical... end 2022 Eagles offer 5 years at $750k plus bonuses plus a job plus endorsement opportunitities. (All up a base of $1M)

Hard to match

Play in front of a capacity crowd every second week. Regular finals appearances etc etc

Let's hope Eagles fall into a hole in the next eighteen months... after all Kennedy, Natanui and Darling are getting on.

In the meantime let's enjoy a very good talent and you can rest assured we'll get one or two first round picks for him.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Reality is - despite being the crappest team in history for a good part - we haven't had an unwanted go home beside maybe Scott Thompson in the past fifteen years. In addition, since Goodwin has been at the club, we haven't lost a single player we really wanted to keep and have brought in almost all of those we've publicly targeted. Club is well run and we have a good culture. Just signed up Trac to seven years, along with deals for Max, Viney, Oliver and Salem. No one of interest will be leaving of their own accord.  

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Skuit said:

Reality is - despite being the crappest team in history for a good part - we haven't had an unwanted go home beside maybe Scott Thompson in the past fifteen years. In addition, since Goodwin has been at the club, we haven't lost a single player we really wanted to keep and have brought in almost all of those we've publicly targeted. Club is well run and we have a good culture. Just signed up Trac to seven years, along with deals for Max, Viney, Oliver and Salem. No one of interest will be leaving of their own accord.  

Scott Thompson going home was more than 15 years ago, Daniher was coach.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

There are only two clubs in WA. They can’t take back every talent who has moved East and will have to pay big if they do. The reality is most will stay East. We may lose a required homesick player but so could 16 other clubs. There are limited opportunities.

Edited by John Crow Batty
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Demonland changed the title to Salem's Injury

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    OUR GRAND OLD FLAG by George On The Outer

    When an AFL Grand Final approaches, supporters look for omens to help them foresee how their team will fare in the contest.   Melbourne supporters were, until just before Saturday’s opening bounce, the best in the business at looking for positives to give them hope and direction - a natural feeling after 57 years in the wilderness. So when the Bulldogs’ streamers kept slipping from the handle of the Premiership Cup as Glen Jackovich delivered it to Optus Stadium, they wondered whether it

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE ICING ON THE QUAKE by Whispering Jack

    It’s not Christmas yet but if the Melbourne wins its last game of the 2021 season, then many of its fans will be celebrating early. There already are some parts of our town where the pending festivity is preordained. Houses are decked out with red and blue banners and streamers, some of which appeared as early as last Saturday week, on the morning after the Demons’ magnificent 83-point crushing of Geelong in their preliminary final at Optus Stadium. While it’s great to see the numbers of lo

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    CAT SKINNING by George On The Outer

    When they defeated the Geelong Cats in the 2021 AFL Preliminary Final on Friday night in Perth, Melbourne proved that there is more than one way to skin those cats.  They did it in the ruck and in the middle, they did it in the forward line, they did it in defence and around the ground, but importantly, each and every player a Demon guernsey spent his night at Optus Stadium skinning an opponent. Following the after-the-siren win against Geelong in Round 23, there was an expectation of

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE POINTY END by The Oracle

    The AFL’s two oldest clubs, Melbourne and Geelong, face off on Friday evening in a sudden death Preliminary Final. It’s a game that promises plenty in terms of fascination and intrigue as a result of the rivalry that’s been building between the teams over recent encounters that have been tight struggles which have gone to the wire with two of them decided by after-the-siren goals. The added touch of mystery attached to this week’s meeting comes by virtue of the fact that it’s going to take

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE VFL YEAR THAT NEVER WAS by KC from Casey

    The rising case numbers and the continuing lockdowns in Victoria and NSW spelled doom for the 2021 VFL season which went through a slow, painful demise before its recent official cancellation. After weeks of indecision, the AFL decided to pull the plug on the season with the 10-0 Bulldogs recognised as minor premier, but without a premiership cup and without awarding the J.J. Liston Medal for the best and fairest VFL player. It was somewhat fortuitous for the integrity of the competition t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    TAMING THE LIONS by George On The Outer

    With nine finals debutants in the side, the Melbourne Football Club had a daunting assignment ahead of it in the First Qualifying Final — to overcome the competition’s highest scoring side, the Brisbane Lions. In the end, the Demons accomplished the task by putting the bite on their opponents on their way to taming the Lions and recording a 33 point win that propelled them into one the two Preliminary Finals of 2021.   It was one of those debutants, Luke Jackson, who put the bite in more

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    RETURN TO NEVERLAND by Whispering Jack

    The greatest Demon A HIGHWAY OF DEMONS by Whispering Jack CHAPTER SIXTEEN - RETURN TO NEVERLAND  I have a six year old grandson who recently took up the family tradition of following the Demons. He had his first taste of the game a few years ago when he went to the “G” with his parents to watch the 107-point massacre of Carlton and he went to another game in the following season which was also a W for the Dees. But his appetite for the club has grown exponentially this year and wh

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 13

    METAMORPHOSIS by Whispering Jack

    I’ve always believed that when the home and away matches come to an end, the football season takes on a completely different shape and character. During the regular season, each team’s goals progress as the weeks pass and if you’re good enough to survive and make the grade, the situation changes. The comparison can be made with the life cycle of a butterfly going through stages from egg to larva to caterpillar, cocoon and in the end to a bright and colourful creature that emerges from darkness i

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    STEALING THE CATS’ CREAM by George On The Outer

    They were leading by 44 points well into the third quarter of a game to decide the minor premier, having kicked nine unanswered goals. The Cats were about to lap up their bowl of cream, dreaming of next week but the Demons led by Max Gawn had other ideas. In a stunning finish, they stole the game from under them to claim the plaudits as best team and top of ladder position. In a remarkable game, it all came down to Max having to kick the winning goal after the final siren, something which s

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SKIN THE CATS by Whispering Jack

    The task ahead for the Demons as they wend their way down the Princes Freeway to Geelong on Saturday night will be to skin the Cats. For them to come away with the points from this game would mark an historic occasion for the club as it will finish on top of the ladder for the first time since its last premiership year, 1964. And it was in that year, that a trip to Corio Bay to meet the reigning premiers in Round 12, was one of the catalysts for Melbourne’s surge to the flag. It was a top o

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    REACH FOR THE STARS by George on the Outer

    It was a game of great significance for the Melbourne Football Club. A win would see them keep top spot on the ladder with one round remaining. To achieve top place in the Round for Reach when we are all inspired to “Be Like Jim” and reach for the stars was a great way of honouring one of our heroes. All the better given that it was done by way of an emphatic 41 point win against Adelaide! It is worth remembering that, but for the umpiring mistake in the previous encounter with the Crows, t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    TICKETS PLEASE by The Oracle

    A lot of water has passed under Princes Bridge in the five years since Melbourne last met Adelaide on the MCG. The Crows were riding high at the time while the Demons were mid-table and scrambling for a win to stay in the race for the finals. The 30,000 fans who had tickets to the game were thoroughly entertained by a close, high scoring affair that ended in tears for fans of the home team. Not even an eight-goal second term could help them.   Times have changed.    In the fi

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...