• Podcast:     

• Podcast:     

Election of Directors MFC

I know Peter and he is a solid person, enthusiastic supporter, who has given significant funds to the club plus assisted with the development of the Dees women’s team by sponsoring players. 
He would be a valuable addition to the Board and finally a new face, not just another mate of the President. 

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ron for what it's worth I worked with Peter many years ago and have met him a few times since at the footy.  He's a quality person, far from disruptive, it's just not his style. I note he's the o

I read that email and my immediate thought was Vote 1 - Peter Lawrence I don't like being told who the incumbents have chosen to represent me in an open election process I think it was a poo

I know Peter. Very strong and keen supporter of our club (men’s and women’s teams), travels for nearly all interstate games; would bring a strong skill set to the board as indicated in his profile. Ve

1 hour ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Nothing.

Extremely poor by the club that he is in a position to be considered. 

If you read the blurb about Brad sent via mail, he is also Managing Director of GMH Fire and Safety. Looks like a small company, but he is MD nonetheless.

• Like 1

bizarrely, got my voting forms today but no email that is referenced above

our board would seem, from the outside looking in, to have done a reasonable job given the circumstances of the year and the inconsistency of the football dept for the last two seasons

Peter Lawrence is extremely passionate to see the Melbourne Football Club successful both on and off the field. He has a been a long time financial contributor to the club and is a Foundation Legend member.   His blood runs red and blue!
Peter has very high credentials in finance and has been the CFO of a major overseas successful communications company.
But more importantly he actually attends nearly every game the club plays both in the AFL and AFLW in Melbourne and interstate. (Some of the present board refuse to go to a AFLW game). Plus you will always see him at the training sessions at Gosch's Paddock.
What the board needs is people like Peter Lawrence who will only have the club's success on and off the field in their mind.
This Peter Lawrence's Linkedin page. https://www.linkedin.com/in/peter-lawrence-96274613b/
Edited by Edgey
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Edgey said:
Peter is extremely passionate to see the Melbourne Football Club successful both on and off the field. He has a been a long time financial contributor to the club and is a Foundation Legend member.   His blood runs red and blue!
Peter has very high credentials in finance and has been the CFO of a major overseas successful communications company.
But more importantly he actually attends nearly every game the club plays both in the AFL and AFLW in Melbourne and interstate. (Some of the present board refuse to go to a AFLW game). Plus you will always see him at the training sessions at Gosch's Paddock.
What the board needs is people like Peter Lawrence who will only have the club's success on and off the field in their mind.

I’d be inclined to say that his credentials are far more important than what games he attends.

• Like 1
On 1/13/2021 at 12:50 PM, Flying Cloud said:

I received mine as well

Peter Lawrence on LinkedIn Peter Lawrence | LinkedIn

That Linkedin website is not the Peter Lawrence running for the MFC Board.

This is Peter Lawrence's LinkedIn page. https://www.linkedin.com/in/peter-lawrence-96274613b/

Edited by Edgey
8 minutes ago, Mach5 said:

I’d be inclined to say that his credentials are far more important than what games he attends.

True. I forgot to add Peter Lawrence's Linkedin page with credentials  https://www.linkedin.com/in/peter-lawrence-96274613b/ 
He is extremely qualified to sit on any board. The fact he is extremely passionate about the MFC is an extra bonus.

• Like 4

Voted.

Included Lawrence because we so rarely have a vote and he looks authentic. I won't say who I omitted because I think they all have something to recommend them and it's not for me to try to influence others. Make up your own minds but I did vote for Brad. Every board needs some footy input and someone who can liaise with the boys.

• Like 1

I know little of David Rennick, but I’d imagine someone with similar experience may be critical to our chances of finally securing a training facility.

And if does not come to fruition soon, heads should roll.

On 1/13/2021 at 5:51 PM, george_on_the_outer said:

Foundation Hero Legend Silver status ( has donated $100k - $149K to the club)

https://www.melbournefc.com.au/support-the-club/foundation-heroes-and-legends

Anyone donating $100,000-$149,000 to the Club deserves to go on the Board. Shame on the incumbents standing two new candidates against him. 🤬

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

When local council elections are held , “The Manor “vote avoids incumbents as far as possible and always prefers new blood.

As an oddity, there was a new candidate in the recent election with the surname of “Death “ ( no kidding). She was elected easily. Everyone I spoke to voted for her on the basis of a quirky name.

Elections are peculiar events

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Bitter but optimistic said:

When local council elections are held , “The Manor “vote avoids incumbents as far as possible and always prefers new blood.

As an oddity, there was a new candidate in the recent election with the surname of “Death “ ( no kidding). She was elected easily. Everyone I spoke to voted for her on the basis of a quirky name.

Elections are peculiar events

Reckon that might have been De'ath which is pronounced Dee - Ath. Sounds very different but does look...err...striking in print as in Mr De'ath.

49 minutes ago, pitmaster said:

Reckon that might have been De'ath which is pronounced Dee - Ath. Sounds very different but does look...err...striking in print as in Mr De'ath.

I believe you are correct in regards to pronunciation pit , however the spelling on electoral material was Death - no apostrophe.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Bitter but optimistic said:

I believe you are correct in regards to pronunciation pit , however the spelling on electoral material was Death - no apostrophe.

one knew someone who named his kids Evan and Elle

and no, sadly wasn't a dees supporter

• Haha 2
19 hours ago, CBDees said:

Anyone donating $100,000-$149,000 to the Club deserves to go on the Board. Shame on the incumbents standing two new candidates against him. 🤬

This is rubbish -   good Board governance should mean that you should never be able to buy your way onto any Board.

However, I do find it very interesting the Board effectively telling members how to vote -  I think they have forgotten the Board are beholden to the Members not the other way round!   If Peter stirs the pot and challenges group thinking then I'd be inclined to vote for him -  unfortunately don't know him.

I do personally know John Trotter.   Good bloke and dedicated but has held on too long -   he's retired and needs this position way more than the MFC need him -  he should have moved on at the end of his last term and brought in fresh commercial / financial thinking.  There's a few too many Directors still owing the AFL for their Board position -  including Glen B -  this is not good as we'll never prosper when not being able to flex some muscle to the AFL exec and commission from time to time.

Finally -   don't believe the club spin about debt and being one of only 6 unassisted clubs.  The only reason for this is that we are the only club in the AFL without standalone facilities -  not something to be proud of.  The 5 other unassited clubs have their own world class facilities to go with it -  so we should stop putting ourselves in the same camp....  it's spin and untimatlely the number one KPI for the Board should be on-field results and these have not been up to standard.

Edited by Canplay
  • Like 7
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, Canplay said:

Finally -   don't believe the club spin about debt and being one of only 6 unassisted clubs.  The only reason for this is that we are the only club in the AFL without standalone facilities -  not something to be proud of.

Very good point.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Canplay said:

Finally -   don't believe the club spin about debt and being one of only 6 unassisted clubs.  The only reason for this is that we are the only club in the AFL without standalone facilities -  not something to be proud of.  The 5 other unassited clubs have their own world class facilities to go with it -  so we should stop putting ourselves in the same camp....  it's spin and untimatlely the number one KPI for the Board should be on-field results and these have not been up to standard.

The question I have for the board is now that they sold out of gaming and venues how much of that money will they spend on facilities and how much of a financial return will those facilities make?

It's all well and good building facilities to get up up with the big clubs - although overrated in terms of the impact of winning - but we have to be careful to see that it makes money, especially given we're unlikely to own the land that it's built on.

A social club for a few beers after the game and a cafe will barely cover the costs of operating themselves. They might be able to sub let the gym or medical rooms, but overall I think they need to be looking for ways to make money.

We might be better off going smaller and leaner on the facilities, only the minimum required to house the admin and run elite footy teams and investing the money in other ways.

• Like 1

As I said earlier, this is really odd -  members appoint board members, they are not appointed by the chairman or existing board members.   Glen has shown himself to be acutely sensitive to criticism - I wonder if “stability” is cover for I don’t want anyone to question or challenge our cozy little board that likes to play in the footy industry in its spare time.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1
15 minutes ago, Canplay said:

As I said earlier, this is really odd -  members appoint board members, they are not appointed by the chairman or existing board members.   Glen has shown himself to be acutely sensitive to criticism - I wonder if “stability” is cover for I don’t want anyone to question or challenge our cozy little board that likes to play in the footy industry in its spare time.  

Sounds like it, doesn’t it? Bit weird, telling members in an email that the Board don’t support his nomination. Surely, it’s the best person for the position, unless there’s something Trump-like that’s wrong with him and that’s what’s being alluded to by Bartlett?

edited to add: Not really a fair fight is it?

Edited by 3183 Dee
  • Like 1

Usually in these situations the incumbent board can drum up enough votes from its own networks to ensure their chosen one is elected. From their perspective the favoured nominee has been vetted and will provide a good fit with the existing members.

The board can also rely on most members not bothering to vote either because they don't care or they feel they don't know enough to distinguish one candidate from another, so the board's networking gets the job done. Odds are that is what will happen here regardless of my vote (see above).

• Like 1