• Podcast:     

• Podcast:     

This is probably one for some of us more mature Demons-but what are your memories of players skilled and proficient with drop kicks.? I have wonderful memories of the great Tassie Johnson kicking out from goal and consistently landing them around the centre circle. And the roving Ian Ridley seems to relish the drop kick as well. I have a feeling Trevor Johnson maybe?? Keen to hear others memories. With other clubs, I remember Billy Barrot for Richmond and perhaps Fred Swift at Full back and Geelong CHB named Walker?

Edited by Demons3031
spelling
  • Like 2
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That's funny, I think of people who don't know how to use apostrophes.  

I remember Billy Goggin consistently kicking "stabs" through a target on World  of Sport. ( Probably mid sixties)

Bernie Massey’s drop kicks were also prodigious kicking out as Full Back. 

When I first read the title I wondered what Gil and his AFL mates had done now????

It was a great kick and wonderful part of the game but when you look at some of the old replays and see some of it's great exponents grubbing the ball, you can understand why coaches banned it.

Yes I remember Phil Rhoden kicking out in the Reserves at Glenferrie oval one day...and Don Williams on the half back flank-what a great  attacking footballer. When our lera years started his career was i sunset time - I remember in one game he was switched into the centre from half back. Am I correct in thinking Ronald Dale B as coach was a prime mover  behind the drop punt replacing the drop kick?

• Like 1

Good topic for this time of the year. We could augment it by trying to track the most recent drop kick deployed in a game. I recall Bill Nettlefold gleefully kicking one in what I think was his final game for the Dees in 1982 at the MCG. It was probably in the reserves curtain raiser. 

• Like 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uv5jel79vRQ

Some nice drop kicks  from both sides in the early minutes..and some great ruck work from Polly Farmer. Gotta love Ian Cleland's Clelo's) commentating error between the 3-4 minute mark when he stumbled over his words and claimed Gary Young was "fricked" An understandable error when trying to say "free kicked"  too quickly! LOL :)

4 minutes ago, Hampton 22 said:

Good topic for this time of the year. We could augment it by trying to track the most recent drop kick deployed in a game. I recall Bill Nettlefold gleefully kicking one in what I think was his final game for the Dees in 1982 at the MCG. It was probably in the reserves curtain raiser. 

Good memory there Hampton...wonder what Barassi's reaction would have been if he had done that in the seniors. I reckon RDB was so madly into team discipline and rules he might have dragged him even if he had goaled from full back! :)

Reading both the Norm Smith biography and RDB's biography they both were so maniacal about team rules. Barass used to cop it from Norm for trying to do too much to turn things in a game instead of following directions. I think Norm reportedly told off Neil Crompton for  disobeying rules and following his rover down from the back pocket when he kicked the winning goal in the '64 Grand Final-no doubt Norm also gave him a pat on the back too. :)

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Demons3031 said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uv5jel79vRQ

Some nice drop kicks  from both sides in the early minutes..and some great ruck work from Polly Farmer. Gotta love Ian Cleland's Clelo's) commentating error between the 3-4 minute mark when he stumbled over his words and claimed Gary Young was "fricked" An understandable error when trying to say "free kicked"  too quickly! LOL :)

That footage of the 1963 GF is SO  much better than anything Ive seen from our 64 win. Chalk and cheese. Wish we had something that vaguely resembled that from 64! 

• Like 1

Didn't notice any Timothy but I haven't yet watched the whole quarter. I do remember Billy Goggin in an earlier final that year-several times taking taps from Polly Farmer on the runat full pace and executing superb stab kicks and hitting Doug Wade on the chest in front of goal.  He was brilliant.

As an an aside, I was talking with someone at Christmas about our old street in Ashburton where we would practice leading and stab kicks and take chest marks running full pelt toward our brick fence- fond memories of marking at the same time as throwing out the front foot to step onto the fence and over into Dad's garden!

What adds to the interest in this topic is that in today's game, if a player is tackled and then kicks a drop kick to dispose of the ball, it's considered to be an incorrect disposal because it hits the ground before the boot.

I always remember Barry Davis (Essendon and subsequently North) as a wonderful exponent of the art.

• Like 1

Meggs loves to execute the drop kick and show his kids.   He recalls Paul Goss, Norm Goss’ brother, kicking a drop kick goal from a free or mark about 15m out from goal at the G.  It was really odd at the time as no one did drop kicks in 1976.  Paul only kicked 2 goals in 4 games for the Dees according to Wikipedia and I didn’t see the other goal.

9 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

What adds to the interest in this topic is that in today's game, if a player is tackled and then kicks a drop kick to dispose of the ball, it's considered to be an incorrect disposal because it hits the ground before the boot.

I always remember Barry Davis (Essendon and subsequently North) as a wonderful exponent of the art.

Yes Barry Davis-No 32-I agree La Dee. he had the ability to give himself time and space to execute a drop kick from half back-usually to Essendons Ken Fraser at CHF! :)

2 hours ago, Hardley Benial said:

Phil was/is a left footer as well. That's skill.

Unfortunately he was mostly FB in the Ressies, due to Tassie Bob's dominance in the seniors.

Thats not quiet right HB. Phil was 178cm & played back pocket while Tassie Bob was the full back @ around 190cm.  Phil played 3 senior games & while he was a great kick he wasn't quiet up to it as a senior player rather than Tassie keeping him out of the team.

10 minutes ago, Meggs said:

Meggs loves to execute the drop kick and show his kids.   He recalls Paul Goss, Norm Goss’ brother, kicking a drop kick goal from a free or mark about 15m out from goal at the G.  It was really odd at the time as no one did drop kicks in 1976.  Paul only kicked 2 goals in 4 games for the Dees according to Wikipedia and I didn’t see the other goal.

Keep on keeping up the traditions Meggs! Thats a real memory of the Paul Goss kick. A really good VFA player (Port Melbourne like Norm?) but just didn't quite cement a spot at VFL.

Just now, Cranky Franky said:

Thats not quiet right HB. Phil was 178cm & played back pocket while Tassie Bob was the full back @ around 190cm.  Phil played 3 senior games & while he was a great kick he wasn't quiet up to it as a senior player rather than Tassie keeping him out of the team.

Yes he played Back Pocket (no 41?) but because of his kicking skill he often would kick the ball out from full back after a behind. I was lucky to see him in a few  games as in those days we got to the footy early and watched the Reserves before the firsts - a feast of footy on a Saturday! :)

The best drop kicks consistently  was a centreman who played for Collingwood called Barry Price. He was  very accurate for passing the ball chest height especially to Peter McKenna.

Bob Skilton  as was Max Papley  grandfather  of young Tom Papley were  great exponents  of the drop kick.  However Tassie Johnson was a terrific  long kick when kicking out.   The drop kick was rarely used in the early 70s it faded away.

In the early 6o,s If you didn't have the Ron Barassi footy boots  it was hard on your big toe to drop kick a leather footy as a 10 year old.  Don't l know.

On the muddy grounds the drop kick was hard to manage as you would mostly end up with grubber kicks.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Call Me What You Will said:

Paul Rowlands, from memory was pretty handy, high white ankle guards and all!

Ah Paul Rowlands another one of a long list of players over the years who looked like they could be anything but who sadly fizzled out : David Code, Stephen Bickford, Michael Reynolds, Glen Swan, John Clennett, Darren Cuthbertson.

Memories

What myths and memories are made of.

I remember the longest goal I saw as a youngster, it was a drop kick from the wing, sailing high and going straight through the middle.

1968, a Minyip (Wimmera district) player, all were in awe. 

It was the talk of the town that week.