Jump to content

  • Podcast: Grand Final Preview      

  • Podcast: Gary Pert Interview & Grand Final Preview      

Off-season outlook: Pressure will be on Melbourne and Simon Goodwin


M_9
 Share


Recommended Posts

38 minutes ago, FlashInThePan said:

I went to a talk by the Richmond mindfulness coach, Emma Murray a couple of years ago and it was very interesting to hear her talk about their approach to breaking out of negative self talk and mid game slumps. Unless she was BS’ing the conference delegates, it is definitely mindfulness techniques but vastly simplified to help an AFL player remember and be able to execute it on the field. They use focus change (both physical and mental) and re-orientation back to the hear and now. This is classic mindfulness but they really bought into it as a group and worked both in group sessions and 1-1 to train it in and reinforce. Obviously she would have somewhat of a bias about it’s contribution to their success but it sounded like the whole club has  attributed a great deal of their turn around to mindfulness and their ability to arrest mid-game form slumps and negativity.

They have really taken 'mindfulness' on board and trained it into players who have been very accepting of the techniques.  This is a good example of how it worked in the 2020 GF.  why-the-richmond-rooms-were-so-hectic-at-half-time

Apparently she always goes into the rooms at half time and she helps settle players and deal with their doubts.  I'm sure she was a key part of 'flicking the switch' in player's minds at half time to get them to come out to win.  The work she can do at half time is tweaking, tweaking that works because it is based on years of training the fundamental mind techniques so players only need reminders during games.

We need a program that trains player's minds as well as their bodies and skills so players know when and how to 'flick the switch' during games and to get support in those techniques at the breaks.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites


1 hour ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

They have really taken 'mindfulness' on board and trained it into players who have been very accepting of the techniques.  This is a good example of how it worked in the 2020 GF.  why-the-richmond-rooms-were-so-hectic-at-half-time

Apparently she always goes into the rooms at half time and she helps settle players and deal with their doubts.  I'm sure she was a key part of 'flicking the switch' in player's minds at half time to get them to come out to win.  The work she can do at half time is tweaking, tweaking that works because it is based on years of training the fundamental mind techniques so players only need reminders during games.

We need a program that trains player's minds as well as their bodies and skills so players know when and how to 'flick the switch' during games and to get support in those techniques at the breaks.

Yes i have thought this for years

Halftime is so often a reset. 
including what worked and what didn’t

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Half forward flank said:

i know this may be of no interest to others and certainly not saying I was a good footballer, but recently I remembered a game from my youth. I had been dropped for the first time ever and the following week I was selected at fullback after failing playing forward. A lively full forward kicked two on me in the opening minutes. Somehow I  held him kickless for the remainder of the game and reading your post I now realise I just concentrated fully on my man and my positioning, holding and punching the ball every time the ball came down. its something used a lot in basketball as well. Massive concentration on the ball, rather than the player doing fancy moves.

So you think the players should show more initiative during games and be held accountable when they fail to do so.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, drysdale demon said:

So you think the players should show more initiative during games and be held accountable when they fail to do so.

Mmmm. difficult one, some players are better with initiative than others. we have seen Selwood and other great captains show initiative to win games at crucial moments. I think as example, Petracca could be allowed to show initiative to drift towards goals as games are on the line.

Accountable,  we have a core of senior players who have no excuses bar injury or occasional poor form to not perform to a very high standard. Most other things other than a training base seem to be covered. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/5/2021 at 9:00 PM, dworship said:

If you go back several years I've posted previously about a program I was involved in, now more than 20yrs ago (I can hear the young'ns groaning already). I haven't engaged directly with you on the matter but your post prompted me to mention it again. As you have quoted; Coaches don't appear to have an overt influence on performance per say. All this talk about  Game Plan and the programs around "Leading Teams" and "Commando Training" are great for showing what can be done but I've never believed it really takes hold mentally and becomes ingrained "behaviors". What I was taught in the program I did was; if you haven't done the mind training then when you let go of the rudder you will go back to the old habits. Clary was a point in case this year, Burgo had said to him "if you're clear, take three quick steps before releasing the ball". I saw this implemented a few times in games to great effect and then gradually saw Clary revert to habit. The follow up techniques to support this change are not being taught.

Most on here would say; well that's a coaching problem. But you don't know what you don't know. Binman you have done some great reading/research/posting on the subject so I'll challenge you to pursue my comments by looking at Coach Nick Saban of Alabama Crimson Tide football team and the record in the 7 or so years before he arrived. Why has he been so successful since? I'll give you a hint, they invested in a program that is more focused on individual performance (and no it doesn't give up team focus). Yes, the same program I did 20yrs ago is still being taught to the new players in 2020. I'll leave you with a snippet from Saben. 

 

Thanks Dworship, interesting stuff (the post and the clip).

My takeaways are:

  • It reinforces the importance of coaching, however as you suggest more in terms of the importance of coaching as it relates to the development of players, particularly personal development 
  • Nick Saban does not explicitly make this point but implies that the development of players is a team effort, with the involvement of range of coaches and key staff
  • Nick Saban emphasizes that helping players develop than elite mindset is critical - they need to have 'champion' mindset
  • The top of the pyramid (the team goal) is not winning a championship - it is everyone being the best they can be, a champion team 9and a team of champions?) and a winning mindset (eg dominating their opponents).
  • The implication being winning will take care of itself with these other things in place
  • Saban doesn't mention himself as one of the key parts of the winning 'pyramid' or things about tactics, game style, technique etc etc (he might have them as elements, he just didn't mention them)
  • Your post and the Saban clip reinforce the good points that Deespencer made about success being a function of any number of detail, samll and lareg - eg admin, governance, resourcing, facilities, development, etc etc

And finally, perhaps it is is confirmation bias, but it also reinforces that the key element of success is the players.

As Suban notes ,it is the exception, not the norm that some people want to be the very best they can be and strive for excellence.

Of course development is critical but the base he is working from is players who want to be the best. Good development program gives players the best chance of realising that goal - but no amount of development will make up for a lack of personal drive. Which is why elite sports put so much emphasis in the drafting process on character.

And the other related point is development and indeed tools such as mindfulness area all about preparing the players for optimal performance on game day. Development as investment.

But once the whistle blows it is pretty much all down to the players to ensure their performance reflects that investment and they perform at their optimal level.

Edited by binman
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Half forward flank said:

Mmmm. difficult one, some players are better with initiative than others. we have seen Selwood and other great captains show initiative to win games at crucial moments. I think as example, Petracca could be allowed to show initiative to drift towards goals as games are on the line.

Accountable,  we have a core of senior players who have no excuses bar injury or occasional poor form to not perform to a very high standard. Most other things other than a training base seem to be covered. 

HFF When  a Player reaches a standard ( elite) as Trac has displayed last season  Coaches encourage Them to use their initiative and it just comes naturally with the champions and A graders of the game. "Allowed" is not the mantra but expected of these stars. When we get a dozen of our players able  to do this in the team environment and instinct rather than stilted and rehearsed moves we will be a team of speed and skill and the middle tier will be dragged along on this ride like the lesser lights at the Tigers are now. 
Each player knows his role within the team but all are given leeway And expected to create play for the teams benefit.

We will play like Hawks did and be on the move looking for opportunitues to kick goals or get out of trouble down back or breakaway on the wing with 3 bounces!

Snd it will happen on the run at some speed and precision. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

As many have posted - the coach has to train and select the "right" players, but once the game starts it's mostly up to the selected players to deliver the result. 

I think we've lacked on-field in game leadership over the years.  Jones and Viney seem to be introverts and focus on their own game rather than directing the traffic - sure they may think they "lead by example" but it's not enough.

I think the sometimes maligned Jordan Lewis probably gave us a lot in this area - I note we were 12-7 in 2017 and 16-8 in 2018 when he played.  I think his contribution may have been undervalued in those years - including by me - because he wasn't the player he once was and didn't always go.

Now I think the backline is well placed with May and Lever.

I think Max is a respected and very capable leader at providing team social cohesion but I'm not confident about his ability to be the general in the midfield and direct traffic.  Petracca and Oliver are tremendous players but are they going to co-ordinate the action?  I think probably Brayshaw is the man most likely in this area to have the required qualities - hopefully with full length games he can return to his best position as part of the midfield rotation and be in a position to direct.

I think part of the FD love for AVB are his leadership attributes but can he command a best 22 spot on output?

Melksham was the leader of a very inexperienced forward line in 2020 (as evidenced by his role as stand-in team captain) and that's possibly why he retained his position despite some very ordinary form.  For all his playing limitations ANB is possibly the man most likely to have the personality and intelligence lead in this area, but again can he command a best 22 spot on output?  Maybe Ben Brown can bring a major contribution down there. 

Until these on field leaders emerge and direct I think we will continue to struggle with consistency.

  • Like 13
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Agree pollyana. As I think bing181 noted the dees have lacked strong on field leadership for a long time.

I think we are heading in the right direction in tgis regard but I fully concede that could be wishful thinking.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, binman said:

Thanks Dworship, interesting stuff (the post and the clip).

My takeaways are:

  • It reinforces the importance of coaching, however as you suggest more in terms of the importance of coaching as it relates to the development of players, particularly personal development 
  • Nick Saban does not explicitly make this point but implies that the development of players is a team effort, with the involvement of range of coaches and key staff
  • Nick Saban emphasizes that helping players develop than elite mindset is critical - they need to have 'champion' mindset
  • The top of the pyramid (the team goal) is not winning a championship - it is everyone being the best they can be, a champion team 9and a team of champions?) and a winning mindset (eg dominating their opponents).
  • The implication being winning will take care of itself with these other things in place
  • Saban doesn't mention himself as one of the key parts of the winning 'pyramid' or things about tactics, game style, technique etc etc (he might have them as elements, he just didn't mention them)
  • Your post and the Saban clip reinforce the good points that Deespencer made about success being a function of any number of detail, samll and lareg - eg admin, governance, resourcing, facilities, development, etc etc

And finally, perhaps it is is confirmation bias, but it also reinforces that the key element of success is the players.

As Suban notes ,it is the exception, not the norm that some people want to be the very best they can be and strive for excellence.

Of course development is critical but the base he is working from is players who want to be the best. Good development program gives players the best chance of realising that goal - but no amount of development will make up for a lack of personal drive. Which is why elite sports put so much emphasis in the drafting process on character.

And the other related point is development and indeed tools such as mindfulness area all about preparing the players for optimal performance on game day. Development as investment.

But once the whistle blows it is pretty much all down to the players to ensure their performance reflects that investment and they perform at their optimal level.

Thanks Binman, I haven't looked but it would be interesting find a clip of Saban talking about the program today. The "Tide" certainly turned their results around quickly and have continued to be one of the most dominant teams in the highly competative College Football scene. This has meant they can attract highend talent every year and the system and results become self perpetuating. The football department program generates profits for the University of between $20million and $30million a year. As I've been writing this Bama have finished as the Champions for the seventh time in 13 years. We should be so lucky. There is some talk about Saban retiring but I think the team will have continued success becuase of the program.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, dworship said:

Thanks Binman, I haven't looked but it would be interesting find a clip of Saban talking about the program today. The "Tide" certainly turned their results around quickly and have continued to be one of the most dominant teams in the highly competative College Football scene. This has meant they can attract highend talent every year and the system and results become self perpetuating. The football department program generates profits for the University of between $20million and $30million a year. As I've been writing this Bama have finished as the Champions for the seventh time in 13 years. We should be so lucky. There is some talk about Saban retiring but I think the team will have continued success becuase of the program.

I wonder why Saban didn't reach the same heights as an NFL coach?

Quote

 

“Well, the day I landed in Miami and went to the first press conference,” Saban said Thursday evening, according to AL.com. “I started to realize the difference between the NFL then and what the NFL was like before when I was in it with Bill Belichick from 1991-94 in Cleveland, before we had free agency, before the media had infiltrated sorta everything that was happening. I guess right then.”

That wasn’t a big enough warning sign to leave South Beach right away, however. There was another outlier that drove him to leave South Beach: the inability to control his own destiny. When Drew Brees failed his physical with Miami, he ended up in New Orleans and the Dolphins signed Daunte Culpepper. (Hint: that didn’t work.)

He stayed for two seasons before infamously departing for Alabama.

“When that happened, I said I can’t control my destiny here,” Saban said. “I can’t control my destiny here. There’s too many things that, no matter how hard I work or no matter what I do, I can control my destiny better in college by working hard and making good choices and decisions and creating a good program for players.

 

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/alabama-football/heres-why-nick-saban-knew-he-wasnt-a-fit-for-the-nfl/

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    THE ICING ON THE QUAKE by Whispering Jack

    It’s not Christmas yet but if the Melbourne wins its last game of the 2021 season, then many of its fans will be celebrating early. There already are some parts of our town where the pending festivity is preordained. Houses are decked out with red and blue banners and streamers, some of which appeared as early as last Saturday week, on the morning after the Demons’ magnificent 83-point crushing of Geelong in their preliminary final at Optus Stadium. While it’s great to see the numbers of lo

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    CAT SKINNING by George On The Outer

    When they defeated the Geelong Cats in the 2021 AFL Preliminary Final on Friday night in Perth, Melbourne proved that there is more than one way to skin those cats.  They did it in the ruck and in the middle, they did it in the forward line, they did it in defence and around the ground, but importantly, each and every player a Demon guernsey spent his night at Optus Stadium skinning an opponent. Following the after-the-siren win against Geelong in Round 23, there was an expectation of

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE POINTY END by The Oracle

    The AFL’s two oldest clubs, Melbourne and Geelong, face off on Friday evening in a sudden death Preliminary Final. It’s a game that promises plenty in terms of fascination and intrigue as a result of the rivalry that’s been building between the teams over recent encounters that have been tight struggles which have gone to the wire with two of them decided by after-the-siren goals. The added touch of mystery attached to this week’s meeting comes by virtue of the fact that it’s going to take

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE VFL YEAR THAT NEVER WAS by KC from Casey

    The rising case numbers and the continuing lockdowns in Victoria and NSW spelled doom for the 2021 VFL season which went through a slow, painful demise before its recent official cancellation. After weeks of indecision, the AFL decided to pull the plug on the season with the 10-0 Bulldogs recognised as minor premier, but without a premiership cup and without awarding the J.J. Liston Medal for the best and fairest VFL player. It was somewhat fortuitous for the integrity of the competition t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    TAMING THE LIONS by George On The Outer

    With nine finals debutants in the side, the Melbourne Football Club had a daunting assignment ahead of it in the First Qualifying Final — to overcome the competition’s highest scoring side, the Brisbane Lions. In the end, the Demons accomplished the task by putting the bite on their opponents on their way to taming the Lions and recording a 33 point win that propelled them into one the two Preliminary Finals of 2021.   It was one of those debutants, Luke Jackson, who put the bite in more

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    RETURN TO NEVERLAND by Whispering Jack

    The greatest Demon A HIGHWAY OF DEMONS by Whispering Jack CHAPTER SIXTEEN - RETURN TO NEVERLAND  I have a six year old grandson who recently took up the family tradition of following the Demons. He had his first taste of the game a few years ago when he went to the “G” with his parents to watch the 107-point massacre of Carlton and he went to another game in the following season which was also a W for the Dees. But his appetite for the club has grown exponentially this year and wh

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 13

    METAMORPHOSIS by Whispering Jack

    I’ve always believed that when the home and away matches come to an end, the football season takes on a completely different shape and character. During the regular season, each team’s goals progress as the weeks pass and if you’re good enough to survive and make the grade, the situation changes. The comparison can be made with the life cycle of a butterfly going through stages from egg to larva to caterpillar, cocoon and in the end to a bright and colourful creature that emerges from darkness i

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    STEALING THE CATS’ CREAM by George On The Outer

    They were leading by 44 points well into the third quarter of a game to decide the minor premier, having kicked nine unanswered goals. The Cats were about to lap up their bowl of cream, dreaming of next week but the Demons led by Max Gawn had other ideas. In a stunning finish, they stole the game from under them to claim the plaudits as best team and top of ladder position. In a remarkable game, it all came down to Max having to kick the winning goal after the final siren, something which s

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SKIN THE CATS by Whispering Jack

    The task ahead for the Demons as they wend their way down the Princes Freeway to Geelong on Saturday night will be to skin the Cats. For them to come away with the points from this game would mark an historic occasion for the club as it will finish on top of the ladder for the first time since its last premiership year, 1964. And it was in that year, that a trip to Corio Bay to meet the reigning premiers in Round 12, was one of the catalysts for Melbourne’s surge to the flag. It was a top o

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    REACH FOR THE STARS by George on the Outer

    It was a game of great significance for the Melbourne Football Club. A win would see them keep top spot on the ladder with one round remaining. To achieve top place in the Round for Reach when we are all inspired to “Be Like Jim” and reach for the stars was a great way of honouring one of our heroes. All the better given that it was done by way of an emphatic 41 point win against Adelaide! It is worth remembering that, but for the umpiring mistake in the previous encounter with the Crows, t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    TICKETS PLEASE by The Oracle

    A lot of water has passed under Princes Bridge in the five years since Melbourne last met Adelaide on the MCG. The Crows were riding high at the time while the Demons were mid-table and scrambling for a win to stay in the race for the finals. The 30,000 fans who had tickets to the game were thoroughly entertained by a close, high scoring affair that ended in tears for fans of the home team. Not even an eight-goal second term could help them.   Times have changed.    In the fi

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    ELECTRIFYING by George On The Outer

    What more can they throw at the Demons of 2021? Covid restrictions, hubs, aircraft circling between airports before landing for games and now a match stopped for 30 minutes to give a flagging opponent its second wind? To date, none of those distractions has swayed the team from their winning objectives. The game against West Coast in Perth can be marked on their report card as another positive outcome after yet another test. There was much at stake for both sides.  Melbourne had t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...