Jump to content

  • Podcast:     

  • Podcast:     

PREGAME: Rd 01 vs Fremantle



Recommended Posts

42 minutes ago, Neil Crompton said:

Following the very poor showing yesterday, I'd like to send TMac, Spargo, Baker, AVB, Harmes, Tomlinson, Jetta, Jones, Jordon, Sparrow and Bedford back to the VFL next weekend to try and earn themselves a spot for Round 1. Chock certainly has his hands full improving the skills of this lot.

However, given that it is likely that all of Viney, BB, Weid, Hibberd and Melksham will be out for Round 1, some of the above will get call ups, but hopefully only based on performance.

My team would be:

Rivers May Lever

Hunt Petty Salem

Langdon Petracca Tomlinson

Pickett MBrown Fritsch

Chandler TMac Jackson

Gawn Brayshaw Oliver

INT: ANB Jones Bowey Harmes.

To me, Petty has to come in, and therefore, until we have a better option (which I don't think will be any time this year) I'd move Tomlinson onto the wing - its what we bought him for and he is the model we based getting Rosman on. 

Given the lack of form of our injury free key forwards, I think we need to entrust Mitch Brown to the CHF role for now, and put TMac back to FF where I think he played his best footy back in 2018. That should also free up Jackson from having the best defenders on him (at least initially).

When it came to picking the interchange players, I found I couldn't find one player that would make the best 22 in virtually any other AFL team. I may have forgotten someone but the lack of depth really concerns me. When we get back our injured players, these guys will struggle to make the bench IMO, unless they dramatically improve their skills and their form. That's a bit harsh on Bowey, who I think will become a player. he certainly has the disposal skills we so desperately need. 

 

I think Tonlinsion on the wing is the right move to start the season...  isnt that why we recruited him, to help us on the wide open spaces of the MCG where we struggle to win games?

We didn't play there last season so we haven't even seen what he can do for us yet.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 680
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Went for a run past Goschs paddock this morning.  Noticed Brown and Weiderman doing some run throughs.  When I came back from the Tan I saw that there were a few other players there too - Smith and so

Excited about the start of the season. Optimistically, I see us around top 6, hopefully make the 4. We matched the Tigers out at Casey.  We couldn't get the ball against the Dogs (Gawn won't

Just secured a ticket on level 2 of the MCC reserve  Can’t bloody wait

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Pickett2Jackson said:

 

I think Tonlinsion on the wing is the right move to start the season...  isnt that why we recruited him, to help us on the wide open spaces of the MCG where we struggle to win games?

We didn't play there last season so we haven't even seen what he can do for us yet.

We have seen Tomlinson on the wing and he didn’t cut it which is why he was tried back, maybe we could try Salem on the wing, not sure who then plays off the back half In his place but I like the idea of Salem transitioning the ball into the fwd line

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

B: Rivers May Lever
HB: Salem Tomlinson Hunt
C: Langdon Petracca Melksham
HF: Jones TMac ANB
F: Jackson Fritsch Pickett
R: Gawn Oliver Harmes
I: Brayshaw, Jordon/Sparrow, Jetta/Bowey, Spargo/Chandler

I'd like to bite the bullet and bring Petty in as soon as possible and that would also free Tomlinson up to pinch hit but we'll probably stick with the current backline set-up particularly against Freo who are short of tall forward options.

We need to see Brayshaw, Pickett, Melksham and maybe Salem get a successful solid hit-out with Casey v Box Hill this weekend.

Viney is confirmed out, Hibberd hasn't got near fitness, I just can't have Baker or AVB in the side.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

when do tickets go on sale.

Edited by praha
Link to post
Share on other sites

Freo now have Lobb, Walters, Banfield and Crowden all confirmed out. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Clintosaurus said:

Freo now have Lobb, Walters, Banfield and Crowden all confirmed out. 

And yet they are still a solid chance to beat us.

  • Facepalm 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Bowey looked alright but surely a bit premature for a round 1 selection??

I know we’re running thin but he’s no where near physically ready and wasn’t even selected in the A team game against the Tigers 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

My Round 1 team

RIVERS MAY LEVER

HUNT TOMLIMSON SALAM

LANGDON PATRACCA ANB 

JONES JACKSON PICKETT

FRITSCH TMAC CHANDLER 

GAWN OLIVER HARMES 

I: BRAYSHAW VANDENBERG BOWY JETTA

Only pick players 100% fit and I'd pick experienced players over young ones in the early rounds try to get off to a good start and build momentum.

Also wouldn't mind swapping ANB and Salam see how they go and T Mac and Tomlinson we might find a bit of flexibility to the team.

JONES JETTA VANDENBERG get games because Viney BB Wied and Melky injuries.

Thoughts thanks?

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Neil Crompton said:

Following the very poor showing yesterday, I'd like to send TMac, Spargo, Baker, AVB, Harmes, Tomlinson, Jetta, Jones, Jordon, Sparrow and Bedford back to the VFL next weekend to try and earn themselves a spot for Round 1. Chock certainly has his hands full improving the skills of this lot.

However, given that it is likely that all of Viney, BB, Weid, Hibberd and Melksham will be out for Round 1, some of the above will get call ups, but hopefully only based on performance.

My team would be:

Rivers May Lever

Hunt Petty Salem

Langdon Petracca Tomlinson

Pickett MBrown Fritsch

Chandler TMac Jackson

Gawn Brayshaw Oliver

INT: ANB Jones Bowey Harmes.

To me, Petty has to come in, and therefore, until we have a better option (which I don't think will be any time this year) I'd move Tomlinson onto the wing - its what we bought him for and he is the model we based getting Rosman on. 

Given the lack of form of our injury free key forwards, I think we need to entrust Mitch Brown to the CHF role for now, and put TMac back to FF where I think he played his best footy back in 2018. That should also free up Jackson from having the best defenders on him (at least initially).

When it came to picking the interchange players, I found I couldn't find one player that would make the best 22 in virtually any other AFL team. I may have forgotten someone but the lack of depth really concerns me. When we get back our injured players, these guys will struggle to make the bench IMO, unless they dramatically improve their skills and their form. That's a bit harsh on Bowey, who I think will become a player. he certainly has the disposal skills we so desperately need. 

Sorry NC but I think that's a bit harsh on Harmes. From what I saw he was expected to be our number one mid for the day and also expected to try and shutdown Bont/Macrae. Some will try and say that the number one should have been Trac but he doesn't have a shutdown side and had little real influence in the midfield hence his move forward in the last, successfully to some extent. I also think the call on Baker is premature. Many think he should be as good on his wing as Langdon is on his. What I see is development in Baker under a fair bit of pressure. The opposition know his is the weak side wing and are trying to exploit that. Conversely, we are trying to use the Langdon wing because Langdon is more effective. What this amounts to however is a discrepancy that I'm sure the coaches understand. We need a better player than Langdon to take Bakers wing. Is that player Tomlinson? Clearly not. I would prefer Baker continued to develop in the position and was impressed with his performance in the game against Richmond when he continually kept his width and didn't get sucked up into the contest. I think it's important to acknowledge that the Dogs play a great brand of Football that suits the Marvel dimensions. We get to play them twice during the regular season and it will be interesting to see how they play the wider wings of the MCG. I think we will give Baker plenty of opportunity to cement his wing with games at the MCG and therefore think he's a lock for round one.

Frankly, I think talk of any of the first year players being tried on a wing in the early rounds is ludicrous and as for Salem I believe he is better positioned to hit up the likes of Baker and Langdon or targets further afield as appropriate.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Rednblueriseing said:

My Round 1 team

RIVERS MAY LEVER

HUNT TOMLIMSON SALAM

LANGDON PATRACCA ANB 

JONES JACKSON PICKETT

FRITSCH TMAC CHANDLER 

GAWN OLIVER HARMES 

I: BRAYSHAW VANDENBERG BOWY JETTA

Only pick players 100% fit and I'd pick experienced players over young ones in the early rounds try to get off to a good start and build momentum.

Also wouldn't mind swapping ANB and Salam see how they go and T Mac and Tomlinson we might find a bit of flexibility to the team.

JONES JETTA VANDENBERG get games because Viney BB Wied and Melky injuries.

Thoughts thanks?

 

Good line up.

I like ANB on wing. I suspect Goody will persist with Baker a bit longer.

Probably only one of Jetta / Bowey.

Can’t see Tomlinson moving out of defence now. So TMac is fwd or wing or bust. I like him on the wing personally.

For all the talk of good depth, we’re looking far from solid with only a few out.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Clintosaurus said:

Freo now have Lobb, Walters, Banfield and Crowden all confirmed out. 

& weve seen this story before...

  • Like 4
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Neil Crompton said:

Following the very poor showing yesterday, I'd like to send TMac, Spargo, Baker, AVB, Harmes, Tomlinson, Jetta, Jones, Jordon, Sparrow and Bedford back to the VFL next weekend to try and earn themselves a spot for Round 1. Chock certainly has his hands full improving the skills of this lot.

However, given that it is likely that all of Viney, BB, Weid, Hibberd and Melksham will be out for Round 1, some of the above will get call ups, but hopefully only based on performance.

My team would be:

Rivers May Lever

Hunt Petty Salem

Langdon Petracca Tomlinson

Pickett MBrown Fritsch

Chandler TMac Jackson

Gawn Brayshaw Oliver

INT: ANB Jones Bowey Harmes.

To me, Petty has to come in, and therefore, until we have a better option (which I don't think will be any time this year) I'd move Tomlinson onto the wing - its what we bought him for and he is the model we based getting Rosman on. 

Given the lack of form of our injury free key forwards, I think we need to entrust Mitch Brown to the CHF role for now, and put TMac back to FF where I think he played his best footy back in 2018. That should also free up Jackson from having the best defenders on him (at least initially).

When it came to picking the interchange players, I found I couldn't find one player that would make the best 22 in virtually any other AFL team. I may have forgotten someone but the lack of depth really concerns me. When we get back our injured players, these guys will struggle to make the bench IMO, unless they dramatically improve their skills and their form. That's a bit harsh on Bowey, who I think will become a player. he certainly has the disposal skills we so desperately need. 

My selection (above) as well. It seems balanced and agree with your discussion points. Petty surely must get a moment to step into the bigtime - he has talent and with an adjusting team mentality, he could be an answer; what's more, there is an option for him if he does not play well: the bench brigade having one stock backman, TMac moving back, Vanders stepping up. With our 'outs', it is going to be a big 'un and one that with which we will struggle anyway. Brown could be serviceable, as well - he gets to positions well and can take that mark. He does kick accurately. From what I have observed as a team member, Brown is sadly seldom 'seen' by out obsessed 'long-bombers' and anyway, it is time for shorter hit-ups into and across the forward line.

Jones will be valuable for short-term ball aggression from the bench, and must keep the eyes down. His experience and ball nouse were well displayed against the Tigers no matter who they utilised to negate him. He does what Oliver should be doing - running to space before delivery using teammates as stepping stones in the chain.

'Carna Dees!

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Deemented Are Go! said:

Next Tuesday (16th) 

MCC the 15th

Link to post
Share on other sites

My team for Round 1 assuming they are fit:

B:      Bowey              May                  Lever

HB:   Salem               Petty                Rivers

C :     Tomlinson       Oliver               Langdon

HF:    Harmes           Jackson          Neal-Bullen

F:       Fritsch             McDonald        Pickett

R:       Gawn               Petracca          Brayshaw

Int:    Sparrow           Hunt                  Chandler

Jones

Emg:  Jordon            Jetta                Spargo        Baker   

Key thoughts: 

Petty - this guy has earned a spot through solid performances and I feel he is a big part of our future backline at 197cm and fairly mobile for a tall. Tomlinson can rotate through the wing and half back and even chuck him forward if we need another marking option.

Bowey - I like the way he played and we must have elite kicking in our back half. I',m not expecting him to set the world on fire and yes he may let a goal through here or there, but he has shown enough and I don't think he will get much benefit playing at Casey. Can also go through the wings as required. Jetta is past it and should only be played if needed to cover injuries in the back half.

Neal-Bullen - he has earned his spot with strong showings in the pre-season and is another option to run through the wings with his huge tank.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Action Jackson said:

My team for Round 1 assuming they are fit:

B:      Bowey              May                  Lever

HB:   Salem               Petty                Rivers

C :     Tomlinson       Oliver               Langdon

HF:    Harmes           Jackson          Neal-Bullen

F:       Fritsch             McDonald        Pickett

R:       Gawn               Petracca          Brayshaw

Int:    Sparrow           Hunt                  Chandler

Jones

Emg:  Jordon            Jetta                Spargo        Baker   

Key thoughts: 

Petty - this guy has earned a spot through solid performances and I feel he is a big part of our future backline at 197cm and fairly mobile for a tall. Tomlinson can rotate through the wing and half back and even chuck him forward if we need another marking option.

Bowey - I like the way he played and we must have elite kicking in our back half. I',m not expecting him to set the world on fire and yes he may let a goal through here or there, but he has shown enough and I don't think he will get much benefit playing at Casey. Can also go through the wings as required. Jetta is past it and should only be played if needed to cover injuries in the back half.

Neal-Bullen - he has earned his spot with strong showings in the pre-season and is another option to run through the wings with his huge tank.

Like it.  Probably only change I would make is to bring in Baker onto the bench instead of Chandler.  Just adds more flexibility.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

On the weekend they were saying he'll be touch and go for round 1.

Their fill in ruck Meeks looked pretty good.

Let's hope Max doesn't get beaten by a 1st gamer!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Action Jackson said:

My team for Round 1 assuming they are fit:

B:      Bowey              May                  Lever

HB:   Salem               Petty                Rivers

C :     Tomlinson       Oliver               Langdon

HF:    Harmes           Jackson          Neal-Bullen

F:       Fritsch             McDonald        Pickett

R:       Gawn               Petracca          Brayshaw

Int:    Sparrow           Hunt                  Chandler

Jones

Emg:  Jordon            Jetta                Spargo        Baker   

Key thoughts: 

Petty - this guy has earned a spot through solid performances and I feel he is a big part of our future backline at 197cm and fairly mobile for a tall. Tomlinson can rotate through the wing and half back and even chuck him forward if we need another marking option.

Bowey - I like the way he played and we must have elite kicking in our back half. I',m not expecting him to set the world on fire and yes he may let a goal through here or there, but he has shown enough and I don't think he will get much benefit playing at Casey. Can also go through the wings as required. Jetta is past it and should only be played if needed to cover injuries in the back half.

Neal-Bullen - he has earned his spot with strong showings in the pre-season and is another option to run through the wings with his huge tank.

Happy with that, not convinced ANB but worth a shot

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Demonland changed the title to PREGAME: Rd 01 vs Fremantle
  • Demonland locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    HOT PIES FREEZE DEES by George on the Outer

    In the Annual Big Freeze game in support of Neale Daniher's fight against MND, it was Collingwood who froze the ambitions of the Demons, and it now challenges them to thaw out their prospects in the second half of the season. Even though Melbourne opened the scoring account, it was quickly countered by Collingwood, as the Demons appeared flat. And even though they held a minor lead at the first break, it was only through a couple of fortunate efforts, but nothing more.  All around

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    FROZEN by Whispering Jack

    Melbourne supporters are an unusual lot. Their lived experiences over years of witnessing their team’s humiliation at the hands of the competition’s bullies have left them suspended in a Bizarro World beset by a cognitive distortion know as 'mental filtering'. This is a phenomenon that occurs when people focus exclusively and blindly on long held belief systems. They refuse to accept that conditions have changed so when the evidence is present before their very own eyes, their minds are frozen.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews 4

    CHANGES: 2021 MID SEASON by The Oracle 

    Since the end of the 2020 free agency, trade and draft period, AFL clubs have had two further bites of the cherry to top up their lists — the supplemental selection period (SSP) and the 2021 mid-season rookie draft (MSD). The main idea behind both was to enable the fulfillment of immediate needs as a result of injuries or unexpected retirements but this year, we have seen the added dimension of straight out recruitment for the future rather than for now. As a consequence, a number of ready

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    LION TAMERS by George On The Outer

    In an enthralling game between two top four sides, it was the Demons who tamed the Lions, and propelled themselves into the position of premiership favourite even though the season is barely past the halfway mark. This is because Melbourne keeps on beating those teams around them who might provide a challenge. Not only that, it keeps winning with emphatic displays of resilience and toughness that have not been seen in a Demons side for many, many years. Challenged in the first half of

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    DUELING BANJOS by Whispering Jack

    In the classic Australian poem, A B “Banjo” Paterson sought the answer by letter to a question concerning the whereabouts of a drover named “Clancy”. The response from Clancy’s shearing mate was written with a thumb-nail dipped in tar: “Clancy’s gone to Queensland droving, and we don’t know where he are.” Most of us would have felt a little bit that way earlier in the week wondering about the possible whereabouts of the Melbourne team for this week’s encounter against Brisbane. Were th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    DOGGED DEEFENCE by George on the Outer

    “No-one let the Dogs out” was the Demons response for the (former) top side.  The Melbourne defence, capably lead by Steven May and Jake Lever simply suffocated any hopes that the Western Bulldogs might have had about leading the competition at the mid-way point. Instead, it is the Demons who now sit at the top of the ladder, again a game clear, while their supporters are starting to believe that this side is the real deal.  Pity is that those same supporters couldn’t watch their team demol

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    LOOK AWAY DEMON FANS by The Oracle

    Last week I predicted a comfortable Melbourne victory for its game against Adelaide. “Something in the order of 61 points”, I opined. Well, after the game, I checked the wording of my preview very carefully from all angles and I have now concluded that I have to issue an apology to Demon fans. I got it wrong. I’m not bitter and twisted about my error in failing to predict the coaching errors, defensive mistakes, lack of forward pressure and, of course, the complete failure of those officiat

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    CALM BEFORE THE CALM by KC from Casey

    The Casey Demons overcame a sluggish first half to run over the Sydney Swans in the second to record an emphatic 40 point victory, maintaining their undefeated record and retaining top spot on the VFL ladder. The game originally listed as part of the Round 4 fixture but delayed due to a Covid19 scare in Sydney and the scrappy way in which the teams approached the contest suggested that the players were still in delay mode. This applied in particular to most of the 12 AFL listed Casey player

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    NOTHING TO CROW ABOUT by George On The Outer

    Melbourne’s nine game winning streak  came to an end in Adelaide with a one point loss to the Crows. Losing to a team that had only won three games for the season, having lost five in a row was certainly nothing to crow about.  All around the ground players collectively put in their poorest performance for the year.  The loss of Christian Salem before the match was critical, as his replacement Nev Jetta is a mere shadow the player he once was. The mind is still willing, but the body no

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    CRYING OVER SPILT MILK by The Oracle

    It had to happen sooner or later. Melbourne has been riding high through the season to date and, with the exception of a small bunch of nuff nuffs who are never satisfied with anything, the club has attracted more positive vibes from the community in these nine weeks than it did in the past decade. So it came as no surprise to see some low grade stirring of the sort which only the media could come up with at a time like this. The on line site Zero Hanger came up with an article that opined,

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    CATNIPPED by KC from Casey

    After winning big away from home across the first three rounds of the new look VFL competition, the Casey Demons were forced to dig deep against Geelong VFL at Casey Fields on Saturday. The traditional AFL based teams were evenly matched, fielding ten listed players apiece and this was reflected in the evenness of the game and the final margin which saw the home side leading by a solitary point on the final siren. Casey suffered an early blow when Jake Bowey came off with what ap

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    BLUES IN THE RED by George On The Outer

    While the Demons’ undefeated run continues unabated now at 9-0 their emphatic 26 point victory pushed the Blues to their sixth loss for the season and deeper into the red for the year. While Melbourne opened proceedings with an early goal, the Blues responded with the next two to grab an early lead.  However, as has happened in so many games this year, the Demons fought back to lead by just over a goal come the first break. This narrow lead was part of a streak either side of quarter t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports


×
×
  • Create New...