Jump to content

  • Podcast:     

  • Podcast:     

2021 AFL Supplemental Selection Period.



Recommended Posts

"Under AFL rules clubs are allowed to invite a maximum of six players to train with the squad from January 6 to trial for a spot on the rookie list during the pre-season supplemental selection period which ends on March 9. They need to submit their list to the AFL by December 18.“

Apart from Deakyn Smith and Taj Woewodin (possible f/s 2021) and maybe fingers crossed Wiz junior ... who else anyone got any info?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/17/2020 at 10:51 AM, cantstandyasam said:

"Under AFL rules clubs are allowed to invite a maximum of six players to train with the squad from January 6 to trial for a spot on the rookie list during the pre-season supplemental selection period which ends on March 9. They need to submit their list to the AFL by December 18.“

Apart from Deakyn Smith and Taj Woewodin (possible f/s 2021) and maybe fingers crossed Wiz junior ... who else anyone got any info?

I'm not saying he can't play or won't develop into something but I just wouldn't be getting too excited about the prospect. Sure the idea of a favourite sons son coming to play for us is romantic.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

We have the room for a player or two invitees for the supplemental selection period but the only player named by the club as a possible candidate to start on 6 January next year is our undrafted NGA prospect Deakyn Smith.

This is what it’s about ~ 

AFL 2021: The clubs which have list spots available ahead of the supplemental selection period

Meanwhile, Oscar McDonald is one of three players invited by Carlton as SSP prospects.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, FireInTheBennelly said:

Personally I'd be leaving a slot open for the mid season draft. There'll be more than one good player that slipped through the draft purely due to the circumstances. With half a season under their belt we'll have a better idea on talent.

There’s a chance that we might leave both slots open for the mid season draft. It seems to me that there are likely to be a number of players who missed their Under 18 year and didn’t have sufficient time or exposure to show the improvement that they might otherwise have demonstrated but for the pandemic.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Whispering_Jack said:

We have the room for a player or two invitees for the supplemental selection period but the only player named as a possible candidate to start on 6 January next year is our undrafted NGA prospect Deakyn Smith.

This is what it’s about ~ 

AFL 2021: The clubs which have list spots available ahead of the supplemental selection period

Meanwhile, Oscar McDonald is one of three players invited by Carlton as SSP prospects.

Riveting by the club.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Whispering_Jack said:

The article doesn’t mention whether the club has issued an invitation to anyone else. Is Smith a definite starter as well?

Taylor said Smith and Woewodin will train with the club. Train hard Wiz would love to see you in the red and blue.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Elwood 3184 said:

I’m loathe to do this because of the pressure it puts the kid under but it’s out there and the comparisons will inevitably happen.

 

He’s lived with it all his life and hopefully, has learned to cope with the mostly unreal expectations placed on his shoulders. No doubt the club is well aware of this and will ensure that he’s well mentored over the coming months. I would expect that Nev Jetta would be fantastic in the role. 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Turner said:

no smith i guess

No Taylor definitely said Smith is training with us. He may not be mentioned because he was mentioned earlier or it's because he's going after the rookie B signing.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, WERRIDEE said:

Taylor said Smith and Woewodin will train with the club. Train hard Wiz would love to see you in the red and blue.

I thought Taylor indicated Smith might be invited and that Woewodin was a likely father-son for next year.

There’s a list of invitees on the Herald Sun site:-

E5ED5D0D-48EE-4B68-B4CB-1B1D697737EB.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, WERRIDEE said:

Is there a deadline to get players to train with us?

The deadline for the SSP was supposed to be yesterday so the fact that Smith isn’t on the list provided above would suggest that he’s not going to be training with Melbourne. This doesn’t rule out Casey and he might get his chances in the 2021 midseason draft if he can prove himself.

AFL 2021: The train-on players and clubs which have list spots available

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

Clubs have been allowed to add more players to their training lists ahead of the supplemental draft in March.

The Hawks have added Jackson Callow a highly regarded KPP who surprisingly missed out on being drafted last year.

AFL releases updated summer train-on list, first scratch matches

AFL TRAIN-ON LIST

Adelaide: Nick Murray (Williamstown), Ayce Taylor (Adelaide)

Carlton: Oscar McDonald (Melbourne), Callum Moore (Carlton), Zavier Maher (Murray Bushrangers)

Collingwood: Jack Briskey (Sherwood Magpies)

Essendon: Angus Baker (Canberra), Charlie Byrne (Murray Bushrangers), Alec Waterman (Claremont)

Hawthorn: Will Bravo (Dandenong Stingrays), Jackson Callow (North Launceston/Norwood)

Melbourne: Kobe Farmer (Peel Thunder), Deakyn Smith (Dandenong Stingrays)

North Melbourne: Flynn Appleby (Collingwood), Sam Skinner (Brisbane)

Richmond: Nic Couroupis (West Adelaide), Josh Green (Marist), Rhyan Mansell (Woodville West Torrens), Derek Smith (Richmond)

W est Coast: Will Collins (Swan Districts), Cedric Cox (Brisbane/West Coast WAFL), Nick Martin (Subiaco)

Western Bulldogs: Ewan MacPherson (Northern Knights), Corey Preston (Eastern Ranges), Anthony Scott (Footscray)

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

With a week to go before selections are to be made for 2021 AFL Supplemental Selections, the Demons are facing a dilemma caused by two long term injuries arising during the preseason. The club might have four potential list vacancies as it already held two unfilled list spots held over from the drafts in December 2020 (although it’s not clear to me whether a vacancy caused by a long term injury to a rookie like Aaron Nietschke allows the club to claim a supplemental selection or a mid season draft pick down the track). 

Based on training and practice match form to date, I think the club will take Majak Daw as a SS but I doubt that more than one of Kobi Farmer, Deakyn Smith and the latest invitee Kye Declase from Werribee would score invites at this stage. Going on a “needs basis” I don’t believe we should take either Farmer or Smith at this point - rather, I would seek to have them play with Casey pending a reappraisal for the mid season draft. Clubs need to leave open the possibility of selecting late bloomers in the Under 18 system, especially in Victoria who had no opportunity to develop in 2020.

There’s also the possibility of picking up a player from another club not given a contract in the supplemental period. I was surprised that Richmond delisted Derek Eggmolesse-Smith in the first place. I would be more surprised if they don’t contract him after his showing for them on Friday.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Whispering_Jack said:

With a week to go before selections are to be made for 2021 AFL Supplemental Selections, the Demons are facing a dilemma caused by two long term injuries arising during the preseason. The club might have four potential list vacancies as it already held two unfilled list spots held over from the drafts in December 2020 (although it’s not clear to me whether a vacancy caused by a long term injury to a rookie like Aaron Nietschke allows the club to claim a supplemental selection or a mid season draft pick down the track). 

Based on training and practice match form to date, I think the club will take Majak Daw as a SS but I doubt that more than one of Kobi Farmer, Deakyn Smith and the latest invitee Kye Declase from Werribee would score invites at this stage. Going on a “needs basis” I don’t believe we should take either Farmer or Smith at this point - rather, I would seek to have them play with Casey pending a reappraisal for the mid season draft. Clubs need to leave open the possibility of selecting late bloomers in the Under 18 system, especially in Victoria who had no opportunity to develop in 2020.

There’s also the possibility of picking up a player from another club not given a contract in the supplemental period. I was surprised that Richmond delisted Derek Eggmolesse-Smith in the first place. I would be more surprised if they don’t contract him after his showing for them on Friday.

Derek Eggmolesse-Smith really is a Melbourne Football Club name.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Freddy Fuschia said:

Notice how shifty Richmond are when they list Derek Eggmolesse-Smith without using his full name. :)

That maybe short naming or editing??

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 58er said:

That maybe short naming or editing??

when zac langdon now of WCE formerly of GWS was first drafted he was Zac Giles-Langdon and Kozzy pickett is actually kropinyeri-pickett its interesting how some players drop half the name and others don't, doesnt really make sense why you would right?

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Turner said:

when zac langdon now of WCE formerly of GWS was first drafted he was Zac Giles-Langdon and Kozzy pickett is actually kropinyeri-pickett its interesting how some players drop half the name and others don't, doesnt really make sense why you would right?

Maybe they're just getting ready for the day when they stick names on the back of jumpers.  Need to be sure the name will fit!  LOL

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure if this has been mentioned (haven't gone back through the entire thread)

From Tim Lamb's comments on the live stream Friday and reading between the lines a bit -  given the NAB league has gone to a 19 year old rule this year - Deakyn Smith will still be eligible for us to take as a NGA in next years draft.  Can anyone confirm this? From what I have read and heard he looks like a good prospect but the urgency to take him in the SSP is not really there unless we wanted him to play this year. We can let him tick over in the NAB league and still have first dibs on him next year. ( The new NGA rules then may come back to bite us)

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Pulp Fritschon said:

Not sure if this has been mentioned (haven't gone back through the entire thread)

From Tim Lamb's comments on the live stream Friday and reading between the lines a bit -  given the NAB league has gone to a 19 year old rule this year - Deakyn Smith will still be eligible for us to take as a NGA in next years draft.  Can anyone confirm this? From what I have read and heard he looks like a good prospect but the urgency to take him in the SSP is not really there unless we wanted him to play this year. We can let him tick over in the NAB league and still have first dibs on him next year. ( The new NGA rules then may come back to bite us)

 

whilst the nab league has gone to 19yo's im not sure if it affects the academies and nga tied-ness of "mature" players? happy to be corrected if anyone has an official source saying otherwise but thats my understanding. is it just is raised to allow exposure to players who didnt get any

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    THE EYE OF THE STORM by Whispering Jack

    When Melbourne monstered Richmond a few weeks back on the MCG thereby registering their sixth win on the trot, the block of games to follow looked highly appealing. After a stirring victory in difficult conditions over the reigning premier, the games to come were against a quartet of low achievers from 2020. North were winless, the Swans were the early high flyers now falling into a slump, Carlton couldn’t take a trick and the Crows had just lost an unloseable game to the Hawks in Launceston. Ev

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    DUCKING A PLUCKING by George On The Outer

    With seven consecutive wins for 2021 behind it, and not having played well in its previous game,  Melbourne was ripe for the picking (or plucking) by the Sydney Swans. However, in the end, it was the Ducks who found themselves plucked by a Demons side that continues its relentless successful roll for the Season. Or did the Demons narrowly duck a plucking themselves? Sydney brought its usual game style to the M.C.G.  Get in front and then shut down the game, scrap and refuse to mov

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE MERRY, MERRY MONTH OF MAY by The Oracle

    The month of May was a little more than halfway into its second day when the news came. Melbourne was on top of the AFL table for the first time since Round 3, 2005. As usual with the Demons, there was no time for celebration. They had just lost tough nut Jack Viney with yet another soft spot in his foot, Adam Tomlinson’s year was in ruins with what was subsequently confirmed as an ACL and Bayley Fritsch’s careless but unintentional fend off on North’s Tom Powell was about to see him charge

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    BLUNDSTONE BOOTED by George on the Outer

    The tough Aussie Blundstone boot is made for true blue collar workers, and so it was at this aptly named stadium in Hobart, that the Demons were made to work their hardest for their seventh consecutive win of the season. From the outset, North Melbourne put scoreboard pressure on Melbourne with two majors at an early stage in the first quarter. The Demons fought back and temporarily had the lead but the Kangaroos responded to lead by five points at quarter time. This was not what the public

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    UNTROUBLED by KC from Casey

    The Casey Demons were untroubled for the third week in a row as they went on a four quarter romp at Marvel Stadium to record a 107 point win over an undermanned bottom-of-the-ladder North Melbourne VFL. The scoring riot began about ten minutes into the game when Sam Weideman notched the first of four goals that could easily have been six or seven but for some uncharacteristic misses from close in. The Demon forward, spurned so far by the club’s AFL selectors, demonstrated a strong work rate

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    I’LL GIVE THEE A WIND by Whispering Jack

    The football world was reminded this week about the last time Melbourne opened a season with six wins or more in a row. That was in 1965 when Sir Robert Gordon Menzies was Prime Minister of Australia and the country was fighting a war in faraway Vietnam. It was before Jack Viney’s father, Todd, was born — a time when the game was played almost exclusively on Saturdays and when Demon fans used to wake up in the morning mostly safe in the knowledge that there was not even the remotest possibility

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    MAKING HISTORY by KC from Casey

    This was a weekend of history with Anzac Day commemorations throughout the community including the sporting world including the VFL. For the Casey Demons, which originated from the Springvale Football Club founded in 1903, it was a double celebration as Saturday’s game was a celebration of the club’s 750th VFA/VFL match since admission to the competition in 1982. Springvale became the Casey Scorpions in 2005 when the club moved to Casey Fields and since 2017 has been known as the Casey Demo

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THE TWO ELEPHANTS NOT IN THE ROOM by WJ

    After another slow start when they conceded 2.3.15 to nothing in a handball-happy opening 15 minutes, the unflappable Demons delivered a warning sign of major proportions to the rest of the competition with their 34-point win over the reigning premiers in their Anzac Eve contest. And what made things even more ominous is that they did it without two elephants in the room - key forwards Ben Brown and Sam Weideman who have been amassing goals at VFL level while coming back from injuries that

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    A TALE OF TWO HEROES by Whispering Jack

    On Saturday night at the ANZAC Day Eve game between Melbourne and Richmond, we will give recognition to the achievements of two great Demons who made significant contributions to the Melbourne Football Club over substantially different time spans. The first is the late Frank V “Checker” Hughes who was born on 26 February 1894 and began his career as a Richmond player in 1915. Shortly after, Hughes was called on to serve his country when he went to war during WW1. He returned from battle and

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    TURNING POINT by The Oracle

    It wasn’t that long ago when Melbourne held sway in its Anzac Eve matches against Richmond. The early versions of the blockbuster saw the Demons home by 32 points in 2015 and 33 in 2016. When the turning point came it was dramatic and sudden. The Demons might have been on an upward curve in 2017 under new coach Simon Goodwin but so were the Tigers who had finished a disappointing 13th in 2016. When the teams met in Round 5 under lights in front of a crowd of 85,657 — the highest ever betwee

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    STARTING OVER by KC from Casey

    The Casey Demons made a successful return to the playing field with a 51 point away from home victory over the Box Hill Hawks. The visitors were starting over after a hiatus of almost 20 months and fielded a strong team of 14 AFL listed players against an undermanned opponent. And they showed from the first bounce that they were out to make up for lost time with an aggressive opening that saw them off to 21 point lead at the first break with thanks to a dominant midfield and two key forward

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    NUTCRACKER by George on the Outer

    Q: How to crack a tough nut? A: Use a bigger hammer! It took Melbourne until the last quarter to crack the Hawthorn nut. These days, the Hawks under Alastair Clarkson simply don’t have the talent that served them so well in years gone, and they have to rely on not losing rather than trying to win.   The result is that the match became a slog for three quarters, as Hawthorn clogged the game, flooded heavily and simply stopped the Melbourne run.  Even in the first quarter the signs

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

×
×
  • Create New...