Jump to content

  • Podcast: Jason Taylor   

  • Podcast: Jason Taylor   

New Head of Strength & Conditioning



Recommended Posts


12 minutes ago, DemonOX said:

Do this mean Burgo is gone???

I think Burgo is Performance manager, not strength and conditioning. For memory, this role was filled by someone who left earlier in the year (Alex Sakadjian?)

Edited by Mickey
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Mickey said:

I think Burgo is Performance manager, not strength and conditioning. For memory, this role was filled by someone who left earlier in the year (Alex Sakadjian?)

Yes.  But I thought the budgets were cut right back and he’d probably not get replaced. Big win here for the Dees. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Mickey said:

I think Burgo is Performance manager, not strength and conditioning. For memory, this role was filled by someone who left earlier in the year (Alex Sakadjian?)

Phil Merriman was promoted to Freo's main man.

So we needed a second guy, whether that's as part of a Burgo succession plan or not time will tell. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, TeamPlayedFine39 said:

Darren Burgess is such a huge asset to the club - I get Hogan/Scully level stress about him leaving.

Welcome to the MFC Selwyn!

 

As important as he is, give me a good psychologist any day.

it’s all mental with this group.

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

We lost our elite strength and conditioning coach at the end of 2018, Rob Jackson I think it was... who went on to train the AFL umpires. By all reports he was highly respected within the industry and Alex Sakadijan was his apprentice but obviously lacked experience. It's good to see the MFC board has noticed this deficiency and addressed our needs accordingly. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Demon Disciple said:

As important as he is, give me a good psychologist any day.

it’s all mental with this group.

Burgess improved our fitness out of sight this year. We were running over the top of teams in the 4th quarter which is a huge tick and validation of his methods and impact.

You're right though, the lapses in concentration and in-game drop-offs have killed us and its been a recurring theme. I don’t know if its structural, game plan, game-day coaching or what but with characters like Maxy, Viney, Clarry, May it shouldn’t be on-field leadership. Those blokes are mentally tough and should have the wherewithal to rally the troops and reverse momentum.  

In individual sports like golf I know psychology coaching is well established. You would think goal kicking would be an obvious area to apply in an AFL context. I haven’t heard of an example in the AFL where psychology has been mentioned as being successful or helped improve the overall team performance. Do you know of any?

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I read where the Tigers have emphasised the importance of using mindfulness techniques to reduce anxiety, improve focus on the present etc. They also promoted the importance of enjoying the experience with their light hearted joking in the pre-start huddles when opposition teams are doing the opposite, revving themselves up as if they are going into battle. Whatever the Tigers are doing psychologically, it is working a treat. 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Earl Hood said:

I read where the Tigers have emphasised the importance of using mindfulness techniques to reduce anxiety, improve focus on the present etc. They also promoted the importance of enjoying the experience with their light hearted joking in the pre-start huddles when opposition teams are doing the opposite, revving themselves up as if they are going into battle. Whatever the Tigers are doing psychologically, it is working a treat. 

As opposed to mindlessness which has been our default position in the past.

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Better days ahead said:

Burgess improved our fitness out of sight this year. We were running over the top of teams in the 4th quarter which is a huge tick and validation of his methods and impact.

You're right though, the lapses in concentration and in-game drop-offs have killed us and its been a recurring theme. I don’t know if its structural, game plan, game-day coaching or what but with characters like Maxy, Viney, Clarry, May it shouldn’t be on-field leadership. Those blokes are mentally tough and should have the wherewithal to rally the troops and reverse momentum.  

In individual sports like golf I know psychology coaching is well established. You would think goal kicking would be an obvious area to apply in an AFL context. I haven’t heard of an example in the AFL where psychology has been mentioned as being successful or helped improve the overall team performance. Do you know of any?

Ricmond utilised a psychologist with great results.  Many of their players credit it with making a huge difference. 3 Premierships in quick time.  I been saying we need psychologist at club for at least 10 years. I don't believe we will win a Premiership until we work out how to get the best out of our players more consistently. Most of them seem to not be able to work it out themselves.  We seem to play more like bunch of individuals than a team imo.  A psychologist could solve a lot of our issues. We have the ability just weak mindset over the journey.  It needs to be a collective, team effort, much more often!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, NeveroddoreveN said:

Ricmond utilised a psychologist with great results.  Many of their players credit it with making a huge difference. 3 Premierships in quick time.  I been saying we need psychologist at club for at least 10 years. I don't believe we will win a Premiership until we work out how to get the best out of our players more consistently. Most of them seem to not be able to work it out themselves.  We seem to play more like bunch of individuals than a team imo.  A psychologist could solve a lot of our issues. We have the ability just weak mindset over the journey.  It needs to be a collective, team effort, much more often!

I'm pretty sure we've had a psychologist at the club for the last ten years and more. Some players use them, others don't. I would like to think they have input into improving the mindset/resolve of the group, but it's not leaping out at me. The woman at Richmond was/is something like a mindfulness coach or whatever they're called.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, NeveroddoreveN said:

Ricmond utilised a psychologist with great results.  Many of their players credit it with making a huge difference. 3 Premierships in quick time.  I been saying we need psychologist at club for at least 10 years. I don't believe we will win a Premiership until we work out how to get the best out of our players more consistently. Most of them seem to not be able to work it out themselves.  We seem to play more like bunch of individuals than a team imo.  A psychologist could solve a lot of our issues. We have the ability just weak mindset over the journey.  It needs to be a collective, team effort, much more often!

Not sure how psychology works collectively but I reckon coaching, game plan, buy-in and having a decent list of players were just as important factors in Tiges success.

I’d be interested to know whether the doggies used a psychologist in 2016?

I understand from an individual perspective how it has a big role in helping better execution. Fritsch should have a psychologist working with him this off-season for instance. Plus it was interesting to hear BB talk about the visualisation techniques he employs as part of this goal kicking routine.

But collectively I don’t know. If you take the doggies game this year where we dropped off badly in the 3rd quarter, was it due to lack of pressure from our forwards allowing the doggies to rebound unimpeded, was it lack of response from Goodwin to Beveridge’s switches allowing their midfield to get on top, was it poor effort and intensity to man-up and chase down (maybe this is where the psychologist can play a role).

An interesting topic and one I can’t profess to be any kind of an expert in but I would be interested to know what techniques a psychologist would employ for our group.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Better days ahead said:

Not sure how psychology works collectively but I reckon coaching, game plan, buy-in and having a decent list of players were just as important factors in Tiges success.

I’d be interested to know whether the doggies used a psychologist in 2016?

I understand from an individual perspective how it has a big role in helping better execution. Fritsch should have a psychologist working with him this off-season for instance. Plus it was interesting to hear BB talk about the visualisation techniques he employs as part of this goal kicking routine.

But collectively I don’t know. If you take the doggies game this year where we dropped off badly in the 3rd quarter, was it due to lack of pressure from our forwards allowing the doggies to rebound unimpeded, was it lack of response from Goodwin to Beveridge’s switches allowing their midfield to get on top, was it poor effort and intensity to man-up and chase down (maybe this is where the psychologist can play a role).

An interesting topic and one I can’t profess to be any kind of an expert in but I would be interested to know what techniques a psychologist would employ for our group.

Aside from techniques working on the individuals schemas, and the notion of 'experiential avoidance' (i can explain more if you are interested) - I would hope that overall the psych and coaches are working on ways of creating a safe psychological space (a la @Earl Hood reference earlier about Richmond) for players to take risks and make errors., which actually creates competence under stress and a greater ability to execute difficult actions, time and time and time again, so that then they don't become difficult (eg: grand finals) 

Too much of the time supporters see players laughing and interpret it as 'they don't care'... 

It's about stress reduction to get back more quickly to focus on task.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Better days ahead said:

Not sure how psychology works collectively but I reckon coaching, game plan, buy-in and having a decent list of players were just as important factors in Tiges success.

I’d be interested to know whether the doggies used a psychologist in 2016?

I understand from an individual perspective how it has a big role in helping better execution. Fritsch should have a psychologist working with him this off-season for instance. Plus it was interesting to hear BB talk about the visualisation techniques he employs as part of this goal kicking routine.

But collectively I don’t know. If you take the doggies game this year where we dropped off badly in the 3rd quarter, was it due to lack of pressure from our forwards allowing the doggies to rebound unimpeded, was it lack of response from Goodwin to Beveridge’s switches allowing their midfield to get on top, was it poor effort and intensity to man-up and chase down (maybe this is where the psychologist can play a role).

An interesting topic and one I can’t profess to be any kind of an expert in but I would be interested to know what techniques a psychologist would employ for our group.

How mindfulness gives Richmond the edge (afr.com)

Really interesting what Richmond feels it has done for them.  Why would you not try to get every possible edge in a highly competitive game!?  So many posters here seem to think our problems are "up top" not due to our lack of quality.  Goodwin is oldschool and probably would not see the benefits.  I would love to see us all on the same page, busting their absolute guts over course of a full season with Premiership being the goal.  They would all love to win one of course, but would they do anything for it? 

*Great post btw...The overall impression i get when watching Melbourne is we play scared and not many seem to be having fun.  Richmond is the complete opposite, laughs/jokes/ busting guts for each other. The sooner we get minfulness involved the sooner we get out of our rut of being perennial underachievers. A game plan would help too of course!

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, DemonOX said:

Well it seems we are getting all good people around Goodwin to support him. 
 

Now it’s up to Goodwin to step up and perform. 

NO MORE EXCUSES. 

He’s had plenty of time to prove his mettle and be found wanting. He ran out of excuses after 2019, as everyone had to deal with pretty much the same problems this year. He may prove me wrong, but I strongly believe that with Goodwin at the helm, we won’t be going anywhere meaningful and he has overstayed his welcome (thank you MFC board 🤬).

This group has continually shown throughout Goodwin’s tenure that they are prone to serious lapses in concentration within games, and he still hasn’t been able to correct this in their heads or in the coaches box.

No one can expect any team to go at 100% each game, every game, but concentration and effort as a team 100% of the time surely must be a simple non-negotiable.

Edited by Demon Disciple
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Engorged Onion said:

I would hope that overall the psych and coaches are working on ways of creating a safe psychological space (a la @Earl Hood reference earlier about Richmond) for players to take risks and make errors., which actually creates competence under stress and a greater ability to execute difficult actions, time and time and time again, so that then they don't become difficult (eg: grand finals) 

 

1 hour ago, Demon Disciple said:

This group has continually shown throughout Goodwin’s tenure that they are prone to serious lapses in concentration within games, and he still hasn’t been able to correct this in their heads or in the coaches box.

Goodwin needs a safe place too. He's part of the group. My observation is that the stubbornness and inflexibility we perceive is the outer manifestation of an inability/unwillingness to admit errors, make corrections and move on because he feels unsafe to do so. 

Time to bend, Simon, and grow....

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    BRIDESMAIDS AGAIN by Whispering Jack

    BRIDESMAIDS AGAIN by Whispering Jack Historians of the future will have little difficulty in finding words to define the year 2020. “Covid-19”, “pandemic” and “plague” come readily to mind. The Covid-19 pandemic dominated the year in every aspect of life and it certainly didn’t spare AFL football or the Melbourne Football Club. In the circumstances however, it didn’t treat it as badly as the Spanish Flu epidemic which raged a century earlier from February 1918, through 1919 and into 19

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    THE TASMANIAN TIGER by Whispering Jack

    I first saw Ben Brown on a cold Tuesday night in May, 2013 playing for the Werribee Tigers against Queanbeyan in a televised Foxtel Cup game before a sparse crowd at Etihad Stadium. His teammate and former Demon Jordan Gysberts was the star of the side’s 85-point belting of the hapless ACT club but the then 20 year old, 200cm Brown was also a stand out.  Earlier that year, the athletic big man had left his native Tasmania in an effort to make the grade after being overlooked in three drafts

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    THE TRADING CHRONICLES 2020 by The Oracle

    Part One: The Cure It could be coincidental but since the AFL Free Agency and Trade Period began, the State of Victoria has recorded eight consecutive days of no new active cases and no deaths from Covid19. It might be a little early to announce that a cure for this dreaded virus has been discovered but one thing can be said with some certainty after following the ins and outs of the free agency and trading process — mankind is still a long way off finding a cure for boredom. That stat

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 1

    CHANGES 2020 by The Oracle

    Part One: A very strange year Things might have been somewhat hairy when the 1919 football season opened up in the wake of the ending of a world war and in the middle of a pandemic that took millions of lives but it’s difficult to imagine a more unusual football season than the one that ended a week or so ago. For starters, the footy is supposed to finish on that one day in September on the MCG in mild spring weather; not deep into October at the Gabba amid warnings of tropical storms and h

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 1

    DEMONLAND 2020 A TO Z by George on the Outer

    A- Alice Springs. Happy hunting ground.     B- Backline. Finally found the non-leaking version.   C- Cairns & Covid. How a season was ruined.    D- Demonland. Mental Health facility run by the inmates.   E- The grade you get when you don’t make F- F- Finals. What are they? G- Goals. Lack of them. Need a forward who can kick them….lots! H- Hub. Where players got to live with people you can’t stand. I- Injuries. Miracle cure provided by Dr. Burgess.  

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    WASH, RINSE, SPIN, REPEAT! by George On The Outer

    Although the Demons got over the line in their must win final round game against the hapless Bombers, they ensured it was Groundhog Day for their supporters who well remember what happened three years ago (although, this time they at least enjoyed the success of victory). Melbourne had its customary start dominating play and having plenty of chances in front of goal, only to find itself down on the scoreboard at the first change. Inaccurate kicking, particularly from set shots would have pu

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE LUCK OF THE DRAW by Whispering Jack

    The long awaited clash between Melbourne and Essendon is almost upon us. Thirty-seven rounds of AFL football have passed by since the two clubs met on a balmy early April night last year in a game that produced a high scoring shootout at the MCG with the Bombers prevailing by 18 points. It was their only meeting for 2019 and happened at a time when the pandemic was something on the far distant horizon. Several months later when the 2019 season ended, the AFL issued the first of its fixtures

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THERE’S STILL A HEARTBEAT by George on the Outer

    When bottom side Adelaide scrapped together a win over the Giants last week, a tiny glimmer of hope opened up for the Demons’ finals chances. The patient was in intensive care but not quite finished — there was a faint pulse, a heart beating ever so slightly but was it enough when two more wins and other results were needed to fall their way? The first step was the resuscitation of a team that had lost its last two matches against sides then sitting fifteenth and sixteenth on the ladder. On

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports 1

    THE FINAL HUMILIATION by The Oracle

    On Sunday, the Melbourne Football Club that won three consecutive games by in excess of 50 points last month returns to the Gabba, the scene of the last of those victories which was a 56 point drubbing of Collingwood. The Demons got off to a good start and won every quarter with a ruthless and powerful brand of football. They kicked 16 goals that day, their accuracy in front of goal a tribute to the skills the put on display throughout the afternoon and evening. In the four matches playe

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    GIVEN THE OLD HEAVE HO’ by George on the Outer

    Fremantle gave Melbourne the old heave ho’ from playing finals in 2020, in conditions that the Demons yet again failed to handle.   With the whole season on the line and the need to win to stay in contention for finals, what the fans saw was much the same as they have been witnessing so many times before — a complete debacle and capitulation against a side that sat 15th on the ladder before the game.     Promises made after the loss to the 16th placed Sydney Swans were rendered h

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    GETTING THE HEAVE HO by Bananabender

    The ute barely made it up to Cairns in time for us to check into the motel, fling a cane toad out the bathroom. and head over to Cazaly’s Stadium where we took up our position on the wing. There, we saw a completely different Melbourne to the one we watched on the screen only a few nights earlier from Alice Springs. This lot wore similar colours and Maxy dominated the ruck but the similarities ended there - the Demons were simply dreadful against the Swans. They started sluggishly, were spe

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    A CLANGER IN CAIRNS by George on the Outer

    Having fought back into finals contention, the Demons had it all before them when facing a lowly Sydney in Cairns.  But in typical Melbourne fashion, they threw away the opportunity to cement their spot in the eight with a clanger of a game.  Right from the start, there was little to enthuse from the Melbourne players, who appeared to think that they only had to turn up, enjoy the North Queensland sun, and take away the four points.  Compared with the furious ground wide pressure of the

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

×
×
  • Create New...