Jump to content

  • Podcast: Grand Final Preview      

  • Podcast: Gary Pert Interview & Grand Final Preview      

Simon's pass mark for 2021?...


picket fence
 Share


Recommended Posts


Should be looking to making the eight there are no excuses. It is a must........ From there  would  be at least knocking on the door for a Preliminary final. 

A win in the final series might save Goodwin his position. Might is the word !  however funnier things have happened.

Goody has no choice a must for making the finals otherwise it is a fail for him ,  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/26/2020 at 9:21 AM, Dr.D said:

There is no pass mark for Goodwin. He's already failed. Last season was the season he needed to get us in the top 8, and probably top 4 but we played some awful footy. must go asap

Those Cairns games!!!!  In the second one he threw Oscar at one point up forward from memory.  He'd lost me long before those games did Goody but those losses...

Pass mark for Goodwin for me is a red hot crack at the flag this year.  Be amongst the top 6, beat the top sides, control games...

Or a pass mark would be a year where there is no 'punching a fist through a wall frustration', 'no uncontainable profanity laced explosions in front of my beautiful young kids' and no 'waking up the next day and remembering we lost the night before and having that feeling of here we pharkking go again!'  

I just want to enjoy supporting them.  I want to be pharking proud of them for goodness sakes.

Another pass mark would be coaching viney to dispense with his pathetic ineffective fend off...

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, pinkshark said:

Those Cairns games!!!!  In the second one he threw Oscar at one point up forward from memory.  He'd lost me long before those games did Goody but those losses...

Pass mark for Goodwin for me is a red hot crack at the flag this year.  Be amongst the top 6, beat the top sides, control games...

Or a pass mark would be a year where there is no 'punching a fist through a wall frustration', 'no uncontainable profanity laced explosions in front of my beautiful young kids' and no 'waking up the next day and remembering we lost the night before and having that feeling of here we pharkking go again!'  

I just want to enjoy supporting them.  I want to be pharking proud of them for goodness sakes.

Another pass mark would be coaching viney to dispense with his pathetic ineffective fend off...

 

Haha yep pass mark for me would be no games where I text my dad to ask him " why the $#&@ did you make me barrack for this goddamn club!!!"

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/10/2020 at 8:23 AM, Brownie said:

It would be playing finals just like it was in 2020........

We got done badly by injuries in 2019 and copped an pandemic in 2020.

If we didn't have to play in hurricanes 2 weeks in a row this year we would have walked into the finals. You don't train of set a game plan around that.

 

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Wrecker45 said:

If we didn't have to play in hurricanes 2 weeks in a row this year we would have walked into the finals. You don't train of set a game plan around that

Yeah but sydney and Freo had to contend with the same conditions. They adapted better. 

And if i remember correctly Sydney played the wind so much more intelligently than we did. They flooded the defense against the breeze making it difficult for us to take marks whereas as with the wind they were making pin point I50 entries setting up easy set shots. Measured approach v chaos. Brains v stupidity.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/26/2020 at 1:56 PM, Jaded said:

Making finals is the bare minimum, and no injury list or pandemic is going to forgive yet another bottom 8 finish.

But really if we don't make and win at least one final, then 2021 makes us no closer to a flag than we were 4 years ago under Goodwin. 

I think even the most ardent Goodwin supporter would have to agree with the reality of your first paragraph.

I would argue that defining how close a team is to a premiership is a mug's game. Geelong finished 10th in 2006, Richmond finished 13th in 2016. Small yet significant adjustments in personel, mindset and game plan can change a clubs fortunes very quickly.

Firing a coach that is loved by the players comes with at least as much risk as potential reward. You have to be prepared to say we are rebuilding or at the very least, we are going to have to move some good players.

Edited by Cheesy D. Pun
Punctuation
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Better days ahead said:

Yeah but sydney and Freo had to contend with the same conditions. They adapted better. 

And if i remember correctly Sydney played the wind so much more intelligently than we did. They flooded the defense against the breeze making it difficult for us to take marks whereas as with the wind they were making pin point I50 entries setting up easy set shots. Measured approach v chaos. Brains v stupidity.

Yep they definitely handled the conditions better - for me it is a combination of gameplan strategy/tactics and mental application of players. They talk of ruthlessness well to me that means no let ups during games or during the season. Of course we will lose games but lapses (whether they be 10 minutes, a quarter a half or a whole game) are unacceptable. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

No excuse with regards to the Sydney loss in Cairns.

We lost to a pathetic side who were 4-9 at the time and had kicked 2 goals for an entire game just two weeks earlier. You can blame the wind, the pandemic, O Mac being sent to the goal square etc...but we just had to find a way to get the 4 points that day. Absolutely no way would a good side like Richmond, Geelong, Brisbane, Port or West Coast had dropped that game.

The Freo loss was slightly more forgivable as they were in good form at the time and are far from a bottom side. And we played with more endeavor that night.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/11/2020 at 11:36 AM, Better days ahead said:

Yeah but sydney and Freo had to contend with the same conditions. They adapted better. 

And if i remember correctly Sydney played the wind so much more intelligently than we did. They flooded the defense against the breeze making it difficult for us to take marks whereas as with the wind they were making pin point I50 entries setting up easy set shots. Measured approach v chaos. Brains v stupidity.

When you base your game plan around, stoppages, winning contested footy , bombing in long to the forwards it doesn't work when you get taken away from usual footy grounds when there is a hurricane going.

It also doesn't help picking Pruess to play in those conditions either 

 

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...