Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

MFC Trade Summary

Lucifers Hero

20 hours ago, A F said:

I'm worried about our other wing and our lack of small forwards. I hope we can sort this during the draft.

But it means youth, or ‘players who’ll need a few seasons.’ How are we going to move up the ladder in the mean time? Have Blues, Dogs and Saints plugged their holes better than us? No jokes, please...

41 minutes ago, grazman said:

Only a rumour - but was brought up on fox footy.  Apparently Treloar wanted to spend 3 days a week in QLD during the season.  Don't know whether that was disinformation/misinformation. 

I heard that rumour too.

But if that's true it is a really easy and honest thing for Collingwood to say publicly.

Perhaps it was more like "Treloar asked if that was possible, Collingwood said no, Treloar said ok no worries I'm just asking, Collingwood decided his wife going to Qld was a risk, tried to trade him."

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Grr-owl said:

But it means youth, or ‘players who’ll need a few seasons.’ How are we going to move up the ladder in the mean time? Have Blues, Dogs and Saints plugged their holes better than us? No jokes, please...

Look, we might be okay. I agree with @Pollyanna that Harmes could fit nicely on a wing. And Tomlinson is a reasonable back up winger.

I'm less concerned with the Blues TBH, I think they've got a good spine, but an ordinary midfield and I think they'll fall short of the top 8 next year.

St Kilda are difficult to predict and they could well drop out IMO. People know what they're going to bring now and I don't think it should scare too many.

We should be right up there with the Dogs. I think we've got a slightly better 22, but their midfield is more balanced than ours and better coached. If we can add a plug and play young star like McCrae this year, as well as Brown, I think we should be top 6.

Top 8 will include Richmond, Geelong, Port, Brisbane, Melbourne, Bulldogs, St Kilda and West Coast.

The bottom 10 will come from North, Adelaide, Essendon, Hawthorn, Fremantle, Sydney, GWS, Collingwood, Carlton and Gold Coast.

Edited by A F
  • Like 6

33 minutes ago, A F said:

Look, we might be okay. I agree with @Pollyanna that Harmes could fit nicely on a wing. And Tomlinson is a reasonable back up winger.

I'm less concerned with the Blues TBH, I think they've got a good spine, but an ordinary midfield and I think they'll fall short of the top 8 next year.

St Kilda are difficult to predict and they could well drop out IMO. People know what they're going to bring now and I don't think it should scare too many.

We should be right up there with the Dogs. I think we've got a slightly better 22, but their midfield is more balanced than ours and better coached. If we can add a plug and play our star like McCrae this year, as well as Brown, I think we should be top 6.

Top 8 will include Richmond, Geelong, Port, Brisbane, Melbourne, Bulldogs, St Kilda and West Coast.

The bottom 10 will come from North, Adelaide, Essendon, Hawthorn, Fremantle, Sydney, GWS, Collingwood, Carlton and Gold Coast.

How many clubs play winger/taggers?

I wonder if Harmes run with skills would work on players like Gaff, Hunter, Menegola, Daicos, etc. or if he'd lack the aerobic capacity to keep up? Even for short bursts it could really disrupt opposition game plans, by removing their outside accumulator and "get out" option from their moves. He could then drift forward to the HFF to rest and someone else could man the wing in a more traditional role.

Edited by deanox
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

25 minutes ago, deanox said:

How many clubs play winger/taggers?

I wonder if Harmes run with skills would work on players like Gaff, Hunter, Menegola, Daicos, etc. or if he'd lack the aerobic capacity to keep up? Even for short bursts it could really disrupt opposition game plans, by removing their outside accumulator and "get out" option from their moves. He could then drift forward to the HFF to rest and someone else could man the wing in a more traditional role.

My read on Harmes is he's always had a good tank. You need a good tank to be able to play tagger. And yes, I like the drifting forward idea, but just generally, Harmes playing on a wing frees him up to be able to defend and attack in a more expansive way than playing off half back in some strangely rigid role.

• Like 7

22 hours ago, DemonOX said:

Yes

not offered contract GONE

Yes

Oscar has not " gone" IMO.

There are still a few days Before lists  are finalised.

Lockhart for instance has not been offered a contract also but at least will be a Rookie again, if not on our list. 

Chsndler Neitschke Jordan Bedford (I think) are without contracts also.

One or two others may be out of the list also.0

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Turner said:

probably and hopefully a good sign to those in charge that you're not going to progress too far up the ladder whilst u have players not a single other club is interested in on ur list, less so tmac obviously due to his coin but there'll be suitors for him this time next year

Why next year if not this year suitors for Tommy ?

only if he has a reasonable or good year.

In fact if he kicks 30 plus goals or plays a Pedo role or goes back into defence if he gets fitter he could very well be a wanted player.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, D4Life said:

Cats got Brown for free, but when Demons were going to get him, I wasn’t overly enthusiastic! Would have much preferred Philips or Polec, both significantly younger and not on the slide! My only disappointment with draft is would have really liked Philips. 

BBrown for pick 30ish vs Cameron 3 firsts is a huge get for Demons. I think BB will be worth 10-15% on our percentage that translates to 3 more wins. I also think Weideman will be a better CHF than FF so am really looking forward to seeing our forward line fire in 2020! If one of Pickett, Spargo, Bedford, ANB, Melksham really lift in 2021 and Fritsch kicks straighter we will have a great forward line!

BB - FF 

Picket FP

Fritsch HF

Weid CHF

Spargo & Viney FP

Melksham & Petracca HF

Hunt either FP or HF

Jackson a bonus

We have a heap of talent, Ollie could do a little in forward line, TMac, plus more as backups!

Trac, Oliver, Brayshaw 23-24 a year older

Backline solid, Aside from a Lockhart make someone else a lockdown small.

only spot I feel we are soft is wing, Baker? 
I look at 2021 & 2022 optimistically, we have huge upside!

Go Dees!

Why isn't LockhartOk? He was just not played by Goody near end of 2020 and that wasted an opportunity for him to get games into him. 

Jets is really at end sadly and Jay is the best small Forward  minder On the list.

Agree  with nearly all of rest Though.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Hannibal Inc. said:

By comparison: ?

20201112_201044.jpg

Honestly we could care less about Collingwood and their draft trading, but this looks like a terrible result for them.

On 11/12/2020 at 8:37 PM, Vineytime said:

Mahoney said Oscar hasn’t been offered a contract for next season on Trade Radio this afternoon. 

What about Bedford and Jordon and the rookies?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, rjay said:

I think the one thing we miss here is that the Tommy Mac contract screwed us.

If we had of moved Tommy on I would have given us a higher rating.

It may still come back to haunt us with contracts to be signed and inability to bring players into the club.

The immediate impact is it most probably kept us out of the Treloar trade.

We can't afford to be paying around 700k for depth.

So whilst we can sit on the high horse and laugh at C/Wood they have fixed their cap issue, they moved on who they wanted to move on. The way they did it may come back and bite them and it should but in the end we still have a player we needed to move on.

Of course you can't create a market if it's not there and no one was interested in Tommy so we did the best with the hand we held...

Mate, by R 3 Tom McD will be playing CHF and Weideman  will be playing FF at Casey !

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 3

On 11/12/2020 at 8:05 PM, Lucifer's Hero said:

Players Traded Out:  Hannan, Preuss

Players Traded In:  Brown

Draft picks:

2020:  '@ Start:  23, 47, 62, 63, 89

'@ End:   18, 19, 28, 50, 89

2021:  '@ Start:  1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th

'@ End:  2nd (Tied to Brisbane), 3rd (Tied to WBD), 4th (Tied to North).  I wouldn't be surprised to see the WBD slide and North to not improve much so these two picks might be an upgrade on what would have been our 'natural' 2021 picks.

Overall Position:

• Covered a tall fwd need.
  • Improved list by trading two 'depth' players
  • Dramatically improved 2020 draft position. 
  • Only gave up 2021 1st rnd pick.  Upgraded later 2021 picks

I would rate that A++.

Its good to be on the plus side of the ledger on individual trades and pick swaps.  Shows that having a reputation for getting deals done pays off. 

Getting in early for Lions pick 18 and 19 stops other teams doing same altho GWS have a fistful of 1st round picks:  10, 13, 15, 20.  And Ess have:  6, 7, 8.  So plenty of scope for more deals to be done.

I'm guessing we will take only 1 or 2 picks to the draft so more pick swaps to come.  Would be surprised if we don't use pick #89 to upgrade Lockhart to the seniors list.  Wouldn't mind swapping picks 28 and 50 for more future picks.  Collingwood's 2021 1st perhaps?

On paper it looks like a great trade period.  My only reservation is that we've sacrificed next year's first round pick for more picks in the most compromised draft in history.  How much are those end of first round picks really going to be worth this year? 

2 hours ago, RalphiusMaximus said:

On paper it looks like a great trade period.  My only reservation is that we've sacrificed next year's first round pick for more picks in the most compromised draft in history.  How much are those end of first round picks really going to be worth this year? 

It is a reasonable concern, but I think because there are fair arguments both ways, and we don't know the decision process, we need to trust that they weighed the risks and got it right.

Getting two top 20 players in this year could be better than getting a single top 20 player next year (e.g. finish fourth and we'd have effectively traded pick 15 for 18 and 19).

Getting two top 18 and 19 instead of just one pick "doubles" our chances of finding a player who makes it.

Is the draft lower quality? Reportedly. But does that mean there are less players or that the players aren't as good. I feel like the later could be true for the top 5-6, but otherwise it is just a matter of depth, so more chances is better.

Is getting players now instead of next year better than getting one next year because it gives us the extra year of development to these players and our list?

Can we trade back into the 1st round next year, just like we did this year? Using a 2022 draft picks, any players that decide to leave or we decide to move on?

Does reducing list sizes in future years mean that we plan on taking less picks in 2022 and 2023, thus meaning next year we are willing to package our 2021 2nd and 3rd to upgrade to an early 2nd. Then package our 2022 2nd with the 2021 2nd to move into the mid first and have a top 15 pick again when we only plan on using 2 picks?

Etc.

Edit: re trust they got it right: they don't always. Sometimes we acknowledge that. But in this case it is pretty balanced so claiming it was a bad decision is based on emotion.

Edited by deanox
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Billy said:

What happened with Jetta?

Appears that Collingwood's interest faded or they didn't have time to organise a deal what with their club falling apart and all. 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Sydee said:

Really ? I think Geelong have done really well 

They are in the mix for a real tilt at a flag and barring Richmond would most likely have won one this year

They have quality all over the ground and have now topped up with a former leading goal kicker in Cameron, a quality wingman in Smith and a quality midfielder in Higgins. Two of these 3 haven't won a flag and would be desperate to do so before their time is up

Add these to a list that is also very hungry for a flag, and a significant home ground advantage they will be top 4 again next year IMO

Yes they have an aging list, yes they may hit a wall in 3 years time but are they closer to a flag in 2021 or 2022 than us - well I'd say they are

Hopefully I'm wrong and they stink it up and we surprise everyone and start to work as a cohesive team and play consistent footy

Smith and Higgins will not be the great pick ups everyone thinks they are, Higgins missed a few games with injury, at 34 his body won't get stronger, Smith is 32, once players get past that 32, they can fall very quickly, they rate Smith a good user of the ball, not in 2020 he was not, his turn over average went up, his disposal efficiency dropped by 8% on his career average, they are right on the cliff, they might reach the summit of Everett or die 10 metre short.

Edited by don't make me angry

57 minutes ago, don't make me angry said:

Smith and Higgins will not be the great pick ups everyone thinks they are, Higgins missed a few games with injury, at 34 his body won't get stronger, Smith is 32, once players get past that 32, they can fall very quickly, they rate Smith a good user of the ball, not in 2020 he was not, his turn over average went up, his disposal efficiency dropped by 8% on his career average, they are right on the cliff, they might reach the summit of Everett or die 10 metre short.

In my view the Cats are deluded. They have a dads army list who this year granted made the GF but in shortened games, in a shortened season, predominantly played on the moderately sized grounds. The standard season will wear and tear on them significantly.  I would not be surprised if they dont just fail to contend but drop out of the eight. They are a few soft tissue injuries away from disaster with limited quality depth. 

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, big_red_fire_engine said:

In my view the Cats are deluded. They have a dads army list who this year granted made the GF but in shortened games, in a shortened season, predominantly played on the moderately sized grounds. The standard season will wear and tear on them significantly.  I would not be surprised if they dont just fail to contend but drop out of the eight. They are a few soft tissue injuries away from disaster with limited quality depth. 

Geelong have gone so far out on a limb I don’t know whether they are mad or genius. There must be a crop of young falcons down there flying under the radar to explain the strategy. Otherwise its inexplicable and reckless in the extreme to mortgage your future to such an extent. There is no getting around the laws of physics.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Better days ahead said:

Geelong have gone so far out on a limb I don’t know whether they are mad or genius. There must be a crop of young falcons down there flying under the radar to explain the strategy. Otherwise its inexplicable and reckless in the extreme to mortgage your future to such an extent. There is no getting around the laws of physics.

In my opinion they are willing to do whatever it takes to get Danger a flag that they are willing to throw away their next 5-8 years to attempt it. They will be heavily reliant on FA to remain competitive if it does not play out. 

1 hour ago, big_red_fire_engine said:

I think they are a 70% to make  the 8, but run out of steam in the finals, Cameron will hate playing there in 2022 and beyond, they got rid of young players to replace them with Smith and Higgins, it was the same when Ablett came back, no better then a average footballer, the only great game he played was the final against Brisbane who had no one on him.

• Like 1

Adelaide’s List Manager:
“We expected a much better outcome with Crouch. Frankly, we were hoping for pick 2. At one point we heard Collingwood were very keen on him. It turns out that they were turned off by his one drug strike. They have a policy only to consider players who have 2 or more. The Atkins compensation was a bit of a surprise though, especially since we forgot he was on our list.”

Brisbane’s List Manager:
“We felt it was important to bring Joe Daniher into the club in order to take the scrutiny off Hipwood’s shoddy goalkicking. Some suggested that Joey’s relationship with our club doctor sealed the deal, but he had a stronger connection within our club. Joey and Mitch Robinson have become great mates through their tattooist, Stevie Wonder. Our next priority was to secure Nakia Cockatoo in order to give Daniher some companionship during prolonged rehab stints.”

Carlton’s List Manager:
“We have a lot of straight-line runners in our club, but up until we secured Adam Saad the only other player that could run in a diagonal and zig-zag fashion was Charlie Curnow when trying to do a drunken runner from the police. There was a rumour that Saad wasn’t content playing a lockdown role. This is plainly false. He has however expressed a desire not to wear Navy Blue, to do half the expected training loads, to skip all post-game meetings and wants an assurance that if we go back to the “Can you smell what we’re cooking” motto, that it’s Halal certified. We brought in Zac Williams to support Patrick Cripps, but on his pay packet, he can probably support at least seven 3rd world countries.”

Collingwood’s List Manager:
“We clearly won the trade. After years of being selfish, we decided it was important to give back to the other clubs. A rising star, a gun midfielder and young wingman was the least we could do. I can also proudly announce that I am requesting a 9 year 1 million a year extension on my own contract after killing this trade period.”

Essendon’s List Manager:
“We thought Joey was going to stay. In fact, it wasn’t an easy decision for him. For a long time there he was sitting on the fence. Literally. We tried everything to keep Saad. We even made a hopeful bid for Houli’s services and reserved the club’s spongy surface for prayer times. At the end of the day he decided he wanted to go to a professional club so he chose one that features Mitch McGovern. Orazio was clear about wanting to tear up his existing contract which was no surprise as he is very good at tearing things. Caldwell, we were keen to get after he passed a medical and Wright we were keen to get after he passed a measurement. Hind is a great story. We were very keen to reunite him with his roots - the VFL. Many will assume we are shattered to be missing out on Josh Dunkley, but the truth is we are more upset about not netting Mitch Hinge! Marty Gleeson has triggered a clause to extend his contract by agreeing to eat a meal sometime.”

Fremantle’s List Manager:
“We thought we had a shot at prising Jordan Clark, because he is about 15 years too young for the Cats target age demographic. We just had to let Hogan go. Some may think that we traded him out because he broke COVID protocols to sneak into a female’s house. To be honest we were more disappointed that he wasn’t getting any. That’s not what we are about…”

Geelong’s List Manager:
“We saw it as our duty to acquire Higgins and Isaac Smith, less so for their football ability and more so out of concern for their wellbeing, as they are both in the high-risk age demographic for COVID. We couldn’t risk them being sent to a nursing home. We thought there was no way we would get Cameron to come. Our first meeting didn’t seem fruitful until someone said the word “fishing” and he signed right away. We were hopeful in getting Cameron for free but at the end of the day GWS did to us what Gary Rohan did to our staffer. Next year we will look to further target our niche age demographic by adding Joe Biden to our Category B list."

Gold Coast’s List Manager:
“The Adam Treloar thing was just media hype. There was no way we were ever going to get him. It’s not like we had anything to offer him besides his partner, young child, a massive contract and a top 5 pick. Oleg Markov will be a favourite of the coach because Markov comes from a pole vaulting family and Stewart Dew likes peeing on poles.”

GWS’s List Manager:
“Many will be horrified that we let Hately walk to the PSD. What’s so wrong with walking? Shane Mumford does it every game. Both Braydon Preuss and Jesse Hogan bring a lot of experience when it comes to failure which will help our less star-studded list cope with the realities of where we are headed."

Hawthorn’s List Manager:
“Kyle Hartigan should live up to the expectations set by Michael Hartley for the coveted most superfluous player award. We were happy to get Phillips for a bargain and believe if he maintains his running credentials he can continue to run away from the contest for many years to come."

Melbourne’s List Manager:
“Ben Brown has plenty of experience playing for an underperforming team so he should fit right in. After missing out on Isaac Smith and having our last 4,000 wingmen all fail on us we are really confident Ben Brown will play the wing role to perfection.”

North Melbourne’s List Manager:
“We realised that Jaiden Stephenson was gettable after he placed a bet on himself to end up at the Kangaroos. We were so lucky to get him as we are frankly a rubbish football team. He came to us due to a heavily back-ended contract whilst Atu Bosenavulagi came to us with a heavily back-ended surname.”

Port Adelaide’s List Manager:
“Fantasia was a bit shy to come back to us. Less so because he stuffed us last year and more because he was afraid our theme song “Never Tear Us Apart’ disqualified him on account of his dodgy calf and quads. We are stoked to have Aliir Aliir as he is 2 in 1”.

Richmond’s List Manager:
“We had to let Higgins go due to his inferior defensive skills whilst Oleg Markov had to go due to his inferior moustache growing skills.”

St. Kilda’s List Manager:
“Crouch is a great get for us. Initially, we engaged with Adelaide in a strategy that would see them get pick 2 but the AFL put a line through that (Crouch subsequently snorted the line). Crouch is looking forward to meeting the players and has already swapped contacts with Jake Carlisle. After looking at our data postseason we were keen to get Shaun McKernan to help us improve in the key frees against element of our gameplan.”

Sydney’s List Manager:
“We were looking for a player that had experience in at least 3 other clubs and then narrowed the search to Tom Hickey. Hickey excels at being traded out and it is our plan to use him in that capacity sooner rather than later. We have already committed to helping him get his memoir “Pass the Parcel” published in the coming months”

West Coast’s List Manager:
“Witherden was a bargain. All we had to do was give away late picks and contend with a lazy ball watcher for the next 2 years. It was an offer we couldn’t refuse. ”

Western Bulldogs’ List Manager:
“We are thrilled to bring in Stef Martin as insurance if Josh Dunkley gets injured. Treloar fits a need for us. He is great in busy traffic which is vital as Lachie Hunter isn’t even good with parked cars. We considered Jack Higgins briefly but decided not to go there. We thought it wasn’t worth getting a player in who tells a joke after half time when we already have Josh Bruce, who is a joke all the time.”

• Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Haha 7

Not a fan of the trade period - bores me to tears. So much bull-dust, PR and spin from clubs, players, managers etc...; is far too protracted, and uses players like bras at a Myers bargain basement red light special sale. Glad to tap in now to see the results without having to endure all the faffing.

Mahoney - I reckon this bloke excels during trade week. Silently, calmly goes about getting the job done without big statements or headline grabbing gaffs. We have pick 18 and 19! 

Glad TMac is staying. He will surprise a few this year and I reckon he remains best 22. A great swingman perhaps starting on the bench.

Brown, Weideman and Jackson rotating through forward 50, with Fritsch causing headaches, and Picket/Spargo crumbing. This is going to be very difficult for opposition defences to cover. 

I hope OMac gets a rookie gig. He has flaws but he is good enough to remain on our list.

Every year, a player emerges who surprises us. I hope it is Baker on the wing. He didn't excel in 2020, but showed glimpses of pace and grunt. Watch this space.

• Like 4