Jump to content

  • Podcast:     

  • Podcast:     

HELP NEEDED: Proud to Give Major Auction Fundraising Items



Recommended Posts

Since the launch of the Melbourne Football Club's Proud to Belong, Proud to Give fundraising program in June, supporters have raised over $500,000 for the Club. These funds are a major contribution towards ensuring the Demons remain an AFL unassisted Club, but there is still a long way to go ...

The next step in the fundraising campaign is that shortly the Club will be launching the Proud to Give Major Auction in the lead up to Christmas, with all funds raised addressing the $5M financial impact created by the COVID-19 pandemic.

The Melbourne Football Club would like members & supporters to donate items, goods or services that they can auction them off for the campaign. For example, a lot of present & past players have donated unique items such as match worn signed jumpers (Garry Lyon for example), experiences and services of their own personal businesses.

If you are able to help and have something unique to donate to the auction, whether that be goods or services. (doesn’t even need to be MFC related), any donation items can be emailed to - [email protected]

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Demonland changed the title to HELP NEEDED: Proud to Give Major Auction Fundraising Items

Now that we have access to Regional Vic I am heading back to the Goulburn Valley this weekend to visit the folks. I have a whole shed of late 80s and 90s Memorabilia that is currently gathering dust and cobwebs. I'll sort through it and hopefully be able to part with some of it for this.

Someone will definitely want my signed Darren Bennett poster. He signed it along his outstretched leg.

I also have a signed Todd Viney headband that I wore my entire junior footy career. Last time I checked the signature was still visible.

On a serious note though I do have some great framed/signed memorabilia that I could donate.

Kudos to the MFC for continuing to raise dollars to keep the Club an unassisted club.

Edited by pewpewpew
  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 11/10/2020 at 10:10 AM, Demonland said:

Since the launch of the Melbourne Football Club's Proud to Belong, Proud to Give fundraising program in June, supporters have raised over $500,000 for the Club. These funds are a major contribution towards ensuring the Demons remain an AFL unassisted Club, but there is still a long way to go ...

The next step in the fundraising campaign is that shortly the Club will be launching the Proud to Give Major Auction in the lead up to Christmas, with all funds raised addressing the $5M financial impact created by the COVID-19 pandemic.

The Melbourne Football Club would like members & supporters to donate items, goods or services that they can auction them off for the campaign. For example, a lot of present & past players have donated unique items such as match worn signed jumpers (Garry Lyon for example), experiences and services of their own personal businesses.

If you are able to help and have something unique to donate to the auction, whether that be goods or services. (doesn’t even need to be MFC related), any donation items can be emailed to - [email protected]

Would the club be interest in framed signed guernseys? I have multiple ones that I've made over the years. The only problem is that none of them have certificates of authentication as I've been the one to collect the signatures and have organised for them to be framed. They are all legit and I have players from the 80s and 90s. They are all just in my garage and they probably deserve to be displayed somewhere.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have an unworn jumper with tags and the autographs of most of the last premiership team which I was able to get when they had their 50 year reunion at the Bentleigh Club.  I think I was able to snaffle a couple of table cards from Barassi's and Hassa's tables.

I bought the jumper in the dark days when Jimmy was ill, we had no FOJ sponsors and wore the 'Reach' label and our BOJ sponsor (some energy company) had gone belly up.  I put # 11 on the back.

My intention is to donate it to the club but am waiting to add the next demons premiership team autographs.  Yes, I know it may be a long wait.  But it will be a special item when it happens.

That little anecdote aside a friend of mine has the small commemorative silk flags in the days when they were given out or sold for finals.  I'll see if she is happy to part with them for the club.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/13/2020 at 10:32 AM, Lefty said:

Would the club be interest in framed signed guernseys? I have multiple ones that I've made over the years. The only problem is that none of them have certificates of authentication as I've been the one to collect the signatures and have organised for them to be framed. They are all legit and I have players from the 80s and 90s. They are all just in my garage and they probably deserve to be displayed somewhere.

You'll have to email the club.

[email protected]

Link to post
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

I have an unworn jumper with tags and the autographs of most of the last premiership team which I was able to get when they had their 50 year reunion at the Bentleigh Club.  I think I was able to snaffle a couple of table cards from Barassi's and Hassa's tables.

I bought the jumper in the dark days when Jimmy was ill, we had no FOJ sponsors and wore the 'Reach' label and our BOJ sponsor (some energy company) had gone belly up.  I put # 11 on the back.

My intention is to donate it to the club but am waiting to add the next demons premiership team autographs.  Yes, I know it may be a long wait.  But it will be a special item when it happens.

That little anecdote aside a friend of mine has the small commemorative silk flags in the days when they were given out or sold for finals.  I'll see if she is happy to part with them for the club.

I'd be interested to hear about other unique items people have stashed away.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I've got a Robbie Flower Patch.    Yes a Flower Patch! Circa '77.

2 signed footys from the Daniher era.

And the bits of Terry Wallaces teeth  surgically removed from Rod Grinters arm Circa '88.

Edited by Biffen
  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have an offer of prize 

3 nights for 2 people at Lockwood cottage Beechworth. valued at $720

Off peak Mon-Thursday non school holidays

These conditionsare actually for the best time to see Beechworth, Australia's Tidy Town winner again and one of the most popular destinations in NE Victoria.

The gateway to the high country alpine valleys and wine regions King Valley, Rutherglen and Beechworth itself.

can provide more detail if required.

The cottage can be viewed on Air BnB.

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, dpositive said:

I have an offer of prize 

3 nights for 2 people at Lockwood cottage Beechworth. valued at $720

Off peak Mon-Thursday non school holidays

These conditionsare actually for the best time to see Beechworth, Australia's Tidy Town winner again and one of the most popular destinations in NE Victoria.

The gateway to the high country alpine valleys and wine regions King Valley, Rutherglen and Beechworth itself.

can provide more detail if required.

The cottage can be viewed on Air BnB.

That’s awesome. You should email [email protected]

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hang on. Now the club is talking about a $5 million deficit this year? We were also over $600,000 at one point, so interesting it's being talked of as $500,000 being raised.

I may have misread the email sent by the club earlier in the year, but it was my understanding that we'd be in a position to be an unassisted debt-free club by the end of the year if we raised $1 million. We didn't get there, so I figured we'd be $200-300,000 short. Now it's $5 million?

I know these are exceptional circumstances and it's been a tough year, but going to the supporters every few years is not a sustainable business model. This was Cameron Schwab's problem. 

Have I missed something here?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, A F said:

Hang on. Now the club is talking about a $5 million deficit this year? We were also over $600,000 at one point, so interesting it's being talked of as $500,000 being raised.

I may have misread the email sent by the club earlier in the year, but it was my understanding that we'd be in a position to be an unassisted debt-free club by the end of the year if we raised $1 million. We didn't get there, so I figured we'd be $200-300,000 short. Now it's $5 million?

I know these are exceptional circumstances and it's been a tough year, but going to the supporters every few years is not a sustainable business model. This was Cameron Schwab's problem. 

Have I missed something here?

I've read it as we have been impacted by $5,000,000 this year compared to an ordinary year, not that we are now in debt by $5mil. Just highlighting how significant COVID has affected normal business. This is probably made up of the $3mil reduction in soft cap and the result of loss of income from gameday takings, membership, merchandise etc... My understanding is that we have budgeted for this and we're still on target for being unassisted/debt free with approximately $1mil donated.

The statement that we have raised over $500,000 is still true, why they haven't said $600,000+ could be a number of things and anyone's guess. Perhaps they want to add a perception of urgency so people are more likely to donate further? Perhaps its just a nice round number. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Nascent said:

I've read it as we have been impacted by $5,000,000 this year compared to an ordinary year, not that we are now in debt by $5mil. Just highlighting how significant COVID has affected normal business. This is probably made up of the $3mil reduction in soft cap and the result of loss of income from gameday takings, membership, merchandise etc... My understanding is that we have budgeted for this and we're still on target for being unassisted/debt free with approximately $1mil donated.

The statement that we have raised over $500,000 is still true, why they haven't said $600,000+ could be a number of things and anyone's guess. Perhaps they want to add a perception of urgency so people are more likely to donate further? Perhaps its just a nice round number. 

Fair enough. And yeah, as a fund-raiser myself, I find the bigger the number, the harder it is to raise, so the same urgency should still be there with only $400k to reach.

Anyway, we'll see.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/14/2020 at 2:13 PM, dpositive said:

I have an offer of prize 

3 nights for 2 people at Lockwood cottage Beechworth. valued at $720

Off peak Mon-Thursday non school holidays

These conditionsare actually for the best time to see Beechworth, Australia's Tidy Town winner again and one of the most popular destinations in NE Victoria.

The gateway to the high country alpine valleys and wine regions King Valley, Rutherglen and Beechworth itself.

can provide more detail if required.

The cottage can be viewed on Air BnB.

 

I should say that the "valued at" is the cost foregone when the house is filled..

We often get couples from NSWmeeting someone from Melbourne

 

While offered to 2 can probably negotiate for a family of demons.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    HOT PIES FREEZE DEES by George on the Outer

    In the Annual Big Freeze game in support of Neale Daniher's fight against MND, it was Collingwood who froze the ambitions of the Demons, and it now challenges them to thaw out their prospects in the second half of the season. Even though Melbourne opened the scoring account, it was quickly countered by Collingwood, as the Demons appeared flat. And even though they held a minor lead at the first break, it was only through a couple of fortunate efforts, but nothing more.  All around

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    FROZEN by Whispering Jack

    Melbourne supporters are an unusual lot. Their lived experiences over years of witnessing their team’s humiliation at the hands of the competition’s bullies have left them suspended in a Bizarro World beset by a cognitive distortion know as 'mental filtering'. This is a phenomenon that occurs when people focus exclusively and blindly on long held belief systems. They refuse to accept that conditions have changed so when the evidence is present before their very own eyes, their minds are frozen.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews 4

    CHANGES: 2021 MID SEASON by The Oracle 

    Since the end of the 2020 free agency, trade and draft period, AFL clubs have had two further bites of the cherry to top up their lists — the supplemental selection period (SSP) and the 2021 mid-season rookie draft (MSD). The main idea behind both was to enable the fulfillment of immediate needs as a result of injuries or unexpected retirements but this year, we have seen the added dimension of straight out recruitment for the future rather than for now. As a consequence, a number of ready

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    LION TAMERS by George On The Outer

    In an enthralling game between two top four sides, it was the Demons who tamed the Lions, and propelled themselves into the position of premiership favourite even though the season is barely past the halfway mark. This is because Melbourne keeps on beating those teams around them who might provide a challenge. Not only that, it keeps winning with emphatic displays of resilience and toughness that have not been seen in a Demons side for many, many years. Challenged in the first half of

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    DUELING BANJOS by Whispering Jack

    In the classic Australian poem, A B “Banjo” Paterson sought the answer by letter to a question concerning the whereabouts of a drover named “Clancy”. The response from Clancy’s shearing mate was written with a thumb-nail dipped in tar: “Clancy’s gone to Queensland droving, and we don’t know where he are.” Most of us would have felt a little bit that way earlier in the week wondering about the possible whereabouts of the Melbourne team for this week’s encounter against Brisbane. Were th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    DOGGED DEEFENCE by George on the Outer

    “No-one let the Dogs out” was the Demons response for the (former) top side.  The Melbourne defence, capably lead by Steven May and Jake Lever simply suffocated any hopes that the Western Bulldogs might have had about leading the competition at the mid-way point. Instead, it is the Demons who now sit at the top of the ladder, again a game clear, while their supporters are starting to believe that this side is the real deal.  Pity is that those same supporters couldn’t watch their team demol

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    LOOK AWAY DEMON FANS by The Oracle

    Last week I predicted a comfortable Melbourne victory for its game against Adelaide. “Something in the order of 61 points”, I opined. Well, after the game, I checked the wording of my preview very carefully from all angles and I have now concluded that I have to issue an apology to Demon fans. I got it wrong. I’m not bitter and twisted about my error in failing to predict the coaching errors, defensive mistakes, lack of forward pressure and, of course, the complete failure of those officiat

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    CALM BEFORE THE CALM by KC from Casey

    The Casey Demons overcame a sluggish first half to run over the Sydney Swans in the second to record an emphatic 40 point victory, maintaining their undefeated record and retaining top spot on the VFL ladder. The game originally listed as part of the Round 4 fixture but delayed due to a Covid19 scare in Sydney and the scrappy way in which the teams approached the contest suggested that the players were still in delay mode. This applied in particular to most of the 12 AFL listed Casey player

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    NOTHING TO CROW ABOUT by George On The Outer

    Melbourne’s nine game winning streak  came to an end in Adelaide with a one point loss to the Crows. Losing to a team that had only won three games for the season, having lost five in a row was certainly nothing to crow about.  All around the ground players collectively put in their poorest performance for the year.  The loss of Christian Salem before the match was critical, as his replacement Nev Jetta is a mere shadow the player he once was. The mind is still willing, but the body no

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    CRYING OVER SPILT MILK by The Oracle

    It had to happen sooner or later. Melbourne has been riding high through the season to date and, with the exception of a small bunch of nuff nuffs who are never satisfied with anything, the club has attracted more positive vibes from the community in these nine weeks than it did in the past decade. So it came as no surprise to see some low grade stirring of the sort which only the media could come up with at a time like this. The on line site Zero Hanger came up with an article that opined,

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    CATNIPPED by KC from Casey

    After winning big away from home across the first three rounds of the new look VFL competition, the Casey Demons were forced to dig deep against Geelong VFL at Casey Fields on Saturday. The traditional AFL based teams were evenly matched, fielding ten listed players apiece and this was reflected in the evenness of the game and the final margin which saw the home side leading by a solitary point on the final siren. Casey suffered an early blow when Jake Bowey came off with what ap

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    BLUES IN THE RED by George On The Outer

    While the Demons’ undefeated run continues unabated now at 9-0 their emphatic 26 point victory pushed the Blues to their sixth loss for the season and deeper into the red for the year. While Melbourne opened proceedings with an early goal, the Blues responded with the next two to grab an early lead.  However, as has happened in so many games this year, the Demons fought back to lead by just over a goal come the first break. This narrow lead was part of a streak either side of quarter t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

×
×
  • Create New...