Jump to content

  • Podcast: Jason Taylor   

  • Podcast: Jason Taylor   


Recommended Posts

B: Jetta, May, Hibberd

HB: Lever, T.Macdonald, Salem

C: Langdon, Brayshaw, Tomlinson

HF: Fritsch, Weideman, Petracca

F: Pickett, B.Brown, Viney

R: Gawn, Oliver, Harmes

I: Jackson, Rivers, Melksham, Spargo

 

Only potential change I would make is Tomlinson out, Salem to a wing, Hunt to a half back flank or if we pick up a classy half back flanker with one of our picks they could potentially step in.

This is how I would set up:

3 tall forwards (Brown, Weideman, Jackson)

3 small forwards (Pickett, Viney, Spargo)

3 medium forwards (Fritsch, Petracca, Melksham)

3 full time inside mids (Oliver, Brayshaw, Harmes)

Petracca to split his time 50/50 between forward and midfield, Viney to split 75/25  forward midfield, Jackson to split 50/50 forward midfield (25% ruck, 25% inside mid)

Harmes to go back tagging the best mid and then getting his own pill, melksham to go back to negating the best defender and then being linkman between midfield and forwards

Jetta and Hibberd to lock down on small forwards, Salem and Rivers to rebound from half back, May Lever and Tmac can form really good defence and rebound

 

Honestly reckon if everyone is utilised in the right position we can definitely contend for top 4 and a flag next year, bring it on.

 

 

Edited by Gawndog98
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

WERRIDEE won't be happy with you cutting his lunch like this.

FWIW, I think Weed's agility and ground play is way under-rated, he can snare a ground ball and he's strong handballer on both sides which is very rare.  I haven't seen anything from Petty to suggest

Posted Images

WERRIDEE'S POST TRADE 22 AND RESERVES TEAM FOR 2021.

B: HIBBERD, MAY, LEVER

HB: RIVERS, TOMLINSON, SALEM

C : LANGDON, PETRACCA, BAKER

HF: MELKSHAM, JACKSON, FRITSCH

F: PICKETT, B.BROWN, WEIDEMAN

FOLL: GAWN, OLIVER, VINEY

IC: BRAYSHAW, HARMES, HUNT, HORE

EMERG: JONES, VANDENBERG, SPARROW, NEAL-BULLEN

 

B: LOCKHART(ROOKIE), SMITH, JETTA

HB: CHANDLER (ROOKIE), PETTY, NEITSCHKE (ROOKIE)

C : VANDENBERG, JONES, DRAFT PICK

HF: NEAL-BULLEN, MCDONALD, DRAFT PICK

F: BEDFORD, M.BROWN (ROOKIE), SPARGO

FOLL: BRADTKE (ROOKIEB), SPARROW, JORDON

IC: KOLODJASHNIJ, DARFT PICK, DRAFT PICK

Link to post
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Gawndog98 said:

B: Jetta, May, Hibberd

HB: Lever, T.Macdonald, Salem

C: Langdon, Brayshaw, Tomlinson

HF: Fritsch, Weideman, Petracca

F: Pickett, B.Brown, Viney

R: Gawn, Oliver, Harmes

I: Jackson, Rivers, Melksham, Spargo

 

Only potential change I would make is Tomlinson out, Salem to a wing, Hunt to a half back flank or if we pick up a classy half back flanker with one of our picks they could potentially step in.

This is how I would set up:

3 tall forwards (Brown, Weideman, Jackson)

3 small forwards (Pickett, Viney, Spargo)

3 medium forwards (Fritsch, Petracca, Melksham)

3 full time inside mids (Oliver, Brayshaw, Harmes)

Petracca to split his time 50/50 between forward and midfield, Viney to split 75/25  forward midfield, Jackson to split 50/50 forward midfield (25% ruck, 25% inside mid)

Harmes to go back tagging the best mid and then getting his own pill, melksham to go back to negating the best defender and then being linkman between midfield and forwards

Jetta and Hibberd to lock down on small forwards, Salem and Rivers to rebound from half back, May Lever and Tmac can form really good defence and rebound

 

Honestly reckon if everyone is utilised in the right position we can definitely contend for top 4 and a flag next year, bring it on.

 

 

Please tell Goodwin mate

you wont get any argument on here

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, whatwhatsaywhat said:

i can't see viney being used forward

he's a mid

IMO one of Oliver/Brayshaw/Harmes/Viney/Petracca will have to spend the majority of their time in another position which Brayshaw and Harmes have tried and failed at. I think Viney has some really good attributes of a small forward, he's a relentless tackler and wins a lot of 1v1s, I think he'd be great at the feet of our tails. I just think out of our mids apart from Petracca he'd have the best potential to play well in a second position, would still get some midfield time, sort of like Kane Lambert. Apart from Kozzy I think Viney would be a better small forward than any other small forwards on our list, highly doubt it happens though knowing Goody, it's just what I reckon would be best for the team. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Gawndog98 said:

IMO one of Oliver/Brayshaw/Harmes/Viney/Petracca will have to spend the majority of their time in another position which Brayshaw and Harmes have tried and failed at. I think Viney has some really good attributes of a small forward, he's a relentless tackler and wins a lot of 1v1s, I think he'd be great at the feet of our tails. I just think out of our mids apart from Petracca he'd have the best potential to play well in a second position, would still get some midfield time, sort of like Kane Lambert. Apart from Kozzy I think Viney would be a better small forward than any other small forwards on our list, highly doubt it happens though knowing Goody, it's just what I reckon would be best for the team. 

harmes is the man i reckon

prior to becoming a mid tagger midway thru 2018 he was primarily deployed as a forward / wing - i expect him to return to that role after the failed attempt to play him as a half-back distributor

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Gawndog98 said:

IMO one of Oliver/Brayshaw/Harmes/Viney/Petracca will have to spend the majority of their time in another position which Brayshaw and Harmes have tried and failed at. I think Viney has some really good attributes of a small forward, he's a relentless tackler and wins a lot of 1v1s, I think he'd be great at the feet of our tails. I just think out of our mids apart from Petracca he'd have the best potential to play well in a second position, would still get some midfield time, sort of like Kane Lambert. Apart from Kozzy I think Viney would be a better small forward than any other small forwards on our list, highly doubt it happens though knowing Goody, it's just what I reckon would be best for the team. 

Agree re Viney  Gawndog

Watched his 2020 highlights

He was far more competent than I though as you say tackled like crazy and won a lot of non centre contests just by being stronger and more determined 

Looking forward to his 2021 will be brilliant

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, whatwhatsaywhat said:

harmes is the man i reckon

prior to becoming a mid tagger midway thru 2018 he was primarily deployed as a forward / wing - i expect him to return to that role after the failed attempt to play him as a half-back distributor

I was never a fan of Harmes as a forward, I just think Viney should be at least tried forward. When we were at our best Harmes was also one of our most important players as a negating mid, didn't do the flashy stuff but I thought his influence on games was enormous. Viney also has great influence as a mid I just think for our midfield balance and potential usefulness in a second position Viney is the man to play forward. I still maintain belief that our best midfield set up is Oliver, Brayshaw, and Harmes which provides the best balance of inside grunt (Oliver), outside nous (Brayshaw), and defence (Harmes), with then Petracca, Viney, and Jackson rotating through there.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Gawndog98 said:

IMO one of Oliver/Brayshaw/Harmes/Viney/Petracca will have to spend the majority of their time in another position which Brayshaw and Harmes have tried and failed at. I think Viney has some really good attributes of a small forward, he's a relentless tackler and wins a lot of 1v1s, I think he'd be great at the feet of our tails. I just think out of our mids apart from Petracca he'd have the best potential to play well in a second position, would still get some midfield time, sort of like Kane Lambert. Apart from Kozzy I think Viney would be a better small forward than any other small forwards on our list, highly doubt it happens though knowing Goody, it's just what I reckon would be best for the team. 

Good point on Viney.  It would greatly improve defensve forward pressure with him in the vicinity.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Seniors

FB: Lever May Hibberd

HB: Salem Petty Rivers

C: Langdon Viney Baker

HF: Fritsch Weideman Harmes

FF: Pickett BBrown Jackson

R: Gawn Oliver Petracca

IC: Brayshaw Hore Spargo Melksham

E: Sparrow MBrown Tomlinson Lockhart

 

2s

FB: Lockhart Smith Jetta

HB: Nietschke TMcDonald Chandler

C: Tomlinson vandenberg Jordon

HF: Neal-Bullen MBrown Hunt

FF: Bedford xxxx xxxx

R: Bradtke Jones Sparrow

IC: xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

FB: Hibberd May Hore
HB: Rivers Lever Salem
Int: Lockhart/Tomlinson

C: Langdon Petracca Jackson
R: Gawn  Oliver Viney
Int: Harmes, Sparrow

HF: Spargo Petty Hunt
FF: Pickett Brown Fritsch
Int: ANB/draft picks 

Got to give Jackson a chance at the Blicavs wing/ruck role, with the occasional rest forward. 
 

Brown and Weid won’t work, especially with Fritsch. Petty is a better support man. 

Sparrow offers more versatility than Gus. Heavy midfield rotations and vital.

The 6th and 7th defenders (Hore, Lockhart, Tomlinson) and especially the 6/7th forwards (Hunt, ANB) might all need upgrading. A draft pick in to that forward/mid rotation is a must 

  • Facepalm 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Weed will thrive with Brown taking the number one focus .

I love the idea of Jackson on a wing, could be a revelation.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

FB: Hibberd May Hore
HB: Rivers Lever Salem
Int: Lockhart/Tomlinson

C: Langdon Petracca Jackson
R: Gawn  Oliver Viney
Int: Harmes, Sparrow

HF: Spargo Petty Hunt
FF: Pickett Brown Fritsch
Int: ANB/draft picks 

Got to give Jackson a chance at the Blicavs wing/ruck role, with the occasional rest forward. 
 

Brown and Weid won’t work, especially with Fritsch. Petty is a better support man. 

Sparrow offers more versatility than Gus. Heavy midfield rotations and vital.

The 6th and 7th defenders (Hore, Lockhart, Tomlinson) and especially the 6/7th forwards (Hunt, ANB) might all need upgrading. A draft pick in to that forward/mid rotation is a must 

I like Petty but can you please explain how he can work with Brown more effectively than Weed?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Pollyanna said:

I like Petty but can you please explain how he can work with Brown more effectively than Weed?

He’s sharper at ground level with better agility. He’ll find more of the ball on the lead or in general play and be better defensively. Teams only need 1 go to tall target. Particularly with Gawn, Jackson, Fritsch and Petracca in the side we don’t need Weid’s big clunk marking or contesting. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

All line-ups seem to have a common 18-20 with just some tinkering in the last few spots, including mine:

FB: Rivers May Lever
HB: Salem Petty Hibberd
I: Smith

I like Petty better than the alternatives because he can play genuine KPD and free May and Lever up.  I'm not sold on Smith and could have Hore or Lockhart there, but if Smith can make it he's the most flexible.

C: Langdon Petracca Tomlinson
R: Gawn Oliver Viney
I: Brayshaw Harmes Melksham

I've gone back to Tomlinson on the wing, maybe Harmes, but that still wouldn't change my 22 because I think Tomlinson is ordinary but versatile.  I'm rotating midfielders through the forward line so 3 on the bench.  Melksham will raise eyebrows but he's clearly the next best player on our list by a long way.

HF: Fritsch Weideman Spargo
FF: Jackson B.Brown Pickett

I'm rotating midfielders through the forward line so I only need 6 forwards.  Spargo is there to provide some forward pressure with Pickett and Jackson.  I think his gradient is up.  Everyone knows @A F and I would play Viney as a pressure forward but it's not going to happen.

 

Edited by Pollyanna
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DeeSpencer said:

He’s sharper at ground level with better agility. He’ll find more of the ball on the lead or in general play and be better defensively. Teams only need 1 go to tall target. Particularly with Gawn, Jackson, Fritsch and Petracca in the side we don’t need Weid’s big clunk marking or contesting. 

FWIW, I think Weed's agility and ground play is way under-rated, he can snare a ground ball and he's strong handballer on both sides which is very rare.  I haven't seen anything from Petty to suggest he is better,

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Pollyanna said:

FWIW, I think Weed's agility and ground play is way under-rated, he can snare a ground ball and he's strong handballer on both sides which is very rare.  I haven't seen anything from Petty to suggest he is better,

Weid's my favourite handballer on the list, has great timing and technique on both sides. Just doesn't get enough of the ball and is terrible defensively. I suspect we'll start with Brown and Weid together, I just don't think it will work. I'd love for Weid to genuinely grab hold of his spot and not let it go.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Pollyanna said:

All line-ups seem to have a common 18-20 with just some tinkering in the last few spots, including mine:

FB: Rivers May Lever
HB: Salem Petty Hibberd
I: Smith

I like Petty better than the alternatives because he can play genuine KPD and free May and Lever up.  I'm not sold on Smith and could have Hore or Lockhart there, but if Smith can make it he's the most flexible.

C: Langdon Petracca Tomlinson
R: Gawn Oliver Viney
I: Brayshaw Harmes Melksham

I've gone back to Tomlinson on the wing, maybe Harmes, but that still wouldn't change my 22 because I think Tomlinson is ordinary but versatile.  I'm rotating midfielders through the forward line so 3 on the bench.  Melksham will raise eyebrows but he's clearly the next best player on our list by a long way.

HF: Fritsch Weideman Spargo
FF: Jackson B.Brown Pickett

I'm rotating midfielders through the forward line so I only need 6 forwards.  Spargo is there to provide some forward pressure with Pickett and Jackson.  I think his gradient is up.  Everyone knows @A F and I would play Viney as a pressure forward but it's not going to happen.

 

I'd have Melksham in place of Smith and whilst I like Spargo, I worry about that forwardline without another tackler in there, but I guess there's always going to be a Harmes and/or a Petracca rotating through there too. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Patches O’houlihan said:

Hibberd    May    Lever 

Salem  Tommlinson  Rivers 

Harmes  Brayshaw  Langdon 

Petracca   Weideman   Fritsch 

Pickett   Brown  Jackson 

Gawn   Viney   Oliver 

I/C: Melksham, Lochart, Baker, Jetta

Love the starting team, mate. I'd have Melksham and Lockhart in there, but question Baker and Jetta. I really like Harmes on a wing there. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    BRIDESMAIDS AGAIN by Whispering Jack

    BRIDESMAIDS AGAIN by Whispering Jack Historians of the future will have little difficulty in finding words to define the year 2020. “Covid-19”, “pandemic” and “plague” come readily to mind. The Covid-19 pandemic dominated the year in every aspect of life and it certainly didn’t spare AFL football or the Melbourne Football Club. In the circumstances however, it didn’t treat it as badly as the Spanish Flu epidemic which raged a century earlier from February 1918, through 1919 and into 19

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    THE TASMANIAN TIGER by Whispering Jack

    I first saw Ben Brown on a cold Tuesday night in May, 2013 playing for the Werribee Tigers against Queanbeyan in a televised Foxtel Cup game before a sparse crowd at Etihad Stadium. His teammate and former Demon Jordan Gysberts was the star of the side’s 85-point belting of the hapless ACT club but the then 20 year old, 200cm Brown was also a stand out.  Earlier that year, the athletic big man had left his native Tasmania in an effort to make the grade after being overlooked in three drafts

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    THE TRADING CHRONICLES 2020 by The Oracle

    Part One: The Cure It could be coincidental but since the AFL Free Agency and Trade Period began, the State of Victoria has recorded eight consecutive days of no new active cases and no deaths from Covid19. It might be a little early to announce that a cure for this dreaded virus has been discovered but one thing can be said with some certainty after following the ins and outs of the free agency and trading process — mankind is still a long way off finding a cure for boredom. That stat

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 1

    CHANGES 2020 by The Oracle

    Part One: A very strange year Things might have been somewhat hairy when the 1919 football season opened up in the wake of the ending of a world war and in the middle of a pandemic that took millions of lives but it’s difficult to imagine a more unusual football season than the one that ended a week or so ago. For starters, the footy is supposed to finish on that one day in September on the MCG in mild spring weather; not deep into October at the Gabba amid warnings of tropical storms and h

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 1

    DEMONLAND 2020 A TO Z by George on the Outer

    A- Alice Springs. Happy hunting ground.     B- Backline. Finally found the non-leaking version.   C- Cairns & Covid. How a season was ruined.    D- Demonland. Mental Health facility run by the inmates.   E- The grade you get when you don’t make F- F- Finals. What are they? G- Goals. Lack of them. Need a forward who can kick them….lots! H- Hub. Where players got to live with people you can’t stand. I- Injuries. Miracle cure provided by Dr. Burgess.  

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    WASH, RINSE, SPIN, REPEAT! by George On The Outer

    Although the Demons got over the line in their must win final round game against the hapless Bombers, they ensured it was Groundhog Day for their supporters who well remember what happened three years ago (although, this time they at least enjoyed the success of victory). Melbourne had its customary start dominating play and having plenty of chances in front of goal, only to find itself down on the scoreboard at the first change. Inaccurate kicking, particularly from set shots would have pu

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE LUCK OF THE DRAW by Whispering Jack

    The long awaited clash between Melbourne and Essendon is almost upon us. Thirty-seven rounds of AFL football have passed by since the two clubs met on a balmy early April night last year in a game that produced a high scoring shootout at the MCG with the Bombers prevailing by 18 points. It was their only meeting for 2019 and happened at a time when the pandemic was something on the far distant horizon. Several months later when the 2019 season ended, the AFL issued the first of its fixtures

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THERE’S STILL A HEARTBEAT by George on the Outer

    When bottom side Adelaide scrapped together a win over the Giants last week, a tiny glimmer of hope opened up for the Demons’ finals chances. The patient was in intensive care but not quite finished — there was a faint pulse, a heart beating ever so slightly but was it enough when two more wins and other results were needed to fall their way? The first step was the resuscitation of a team that had lost its last two matches against sides then sitting fifteenth and sixteenth on the ladder. On

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports 1

    THE FINAL HUMILIATION by The Oracle

    On Sunday, the Melbourne Football Club that won three consecutive games by in excess of 50 points last month returns to the Gabba, the scene of the last of those victories which was a 56 point drubbing of Collingwood. The Demons got off to a good start and won every quarter with a ruthless and powerful brand of football. They kicked 16 goals that day, their accuracy in front of goal a tribute to the skills the put on display throughout the afternoon and evening. In the four matches playe

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    GIVEN THE OLD HEAVE HO’ by George on the Outer

    Fremantle gave Melbourne the old heave ho’ from playing finals in 2020, in conditions that the Demons yet again failed to handle.   With the whole season on the line and the need to win to stay in contention for finals, what the fans saw was much the same as they have been witnessing so many times before — a complete debacle and capitulation against a side that sat 15th on the ladder before the game.     Promises made after the loss to the 16th placed Sydney Swans were rendered h

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    GETTING THE HEAVE HO by Bananabender

    The ute barely made it up to Cairns in time for us to check into the motel, fling a cane toad out the bathroom. and head over to Cazaly’s Stadium where we took up our position on the wing. There, we saw a completely different Melbourne to the one we watched on the screen only a few nights earlier from Alice Springs. This lot wore similar colours and Maxy dominated the ruck but the similarities ended there - the Demons were simply dreadful against the Swans. They started sluggishly, were spe

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    A CLANGER IN CAIRNS by George on the Outer

    Having fought back into finals contention, the Demons had it all before them when facing a lowly Sydney in Cairns.  But in typical Melbourne fashion, they threw away the opportunity to cement their spot in the eight with a clanger of a game.  Right from the start, there was little to enthuse from the Melbourne players, who appeared to think that they only had to turn up, enjoy the North Queensland sun, and take away the four points.  Compared with the furious ground wide pressure of the

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports


×
×
  • Create New...