Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Projected Best 22's 2021

I've made one change brought in McDonald dropped Hore. They are paying McDonald too much money for him to be stuck in the reserves. They will give him every chance to make the best 22 which will be at CHB.

B: HIBBERD, MAY, LEVER

HB: SALEM, MCDONALD, RIVERS

C : LANGDON, PETRACCA, BAKER

HF: MELKSHAM, JACKSON, FRITSCH

F: PICKETT, B.BROWN, WEIDEMAN

FOLL: GAWN, OLOIVER, VINEY

IC: BRAYSHAW, HARMES, HUNT, TOMLINSON

EMERG: JONES, VANDENBERG, SPARROW, NEAL-BULLEN

CASEY

B: LOCKHART, SMITH, JETTA

HB: CHANDLER, HORE, NEITSCHKE

C: VANDENBERG, JONES, DRAFT PICK

HF: NEAL-BULLEN, PETTY, DRAFT PICK

F: BEDFORD, M.BROWN, SPARGO

FOLL: BRADTKE, SPARROW, JORDON

IC: KOLODJASHNIJ, DRAFT PICK, DRAFT PICK

• Like 1

In the spirit of it being an exercise in anticipation rather than pretending I know any more than anyone else;

B:          Hibberd           May               Rivers

HB:      Tomlinson        Lever            Salem

C:         Langdon          Brayshaw    Harmes

HF:      Melksham      Weideman    Petracca

F:         Fritsch             B.Brown        Pickett

FOLL:   Gawn               Oliver            Viney

INTER:  Jackson

and without speculating too much on kids, the ready-to-go bodies for the rest of the interchange;

Jones, Jetta, VandenBerg, McDonald, Hunt,  Neal-Bullen, Hore,  M Brown

I have mild concerns about getting the better versions of Harmes and Brayshaw.  I worry a bit about that named half-forward line as Petracca will still mostly be midfield, Melksham's form dropped badly, and Weideman's completion as a footballer is still uncertain.

Very happy with out defensive unit, though a truly lock-down fast nugget small defender would be a good option to have.  Very happy with out Followers.  And that full-forward line could be outright unbeatable.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Little Goffy said:

In the spirit of it being an exercise in anticipation rather than pretending I know any more than anyone else;

B:          Hibberd           May               Rivers

HB:      Tomlinson        Lever            Salem

C:         Langdon          Brayshaw    Harmes

HF:      Melksham      Weideman    Petracca

F:         Fritsch             B.Brown        Pickett

FOLL:   Gawn               Oliver            Viney

INTER:  Jackson

and without speculating too much on kids, the ready-to-go bodies for the rest of the interchange;

Jones, Jetta, VandenBerg, McDonald, Hunt,  Neal-Bullen, Hore,  M Brown

I have mild concerns about getting the better versions of Harmes and Brayshaw.  I worry a bit about that named half-forward line as Petracca will still mostly be midfield, Melksham's form dropped badly, and Weideman's completion as a footballer is still uncertain.

Very happy with out defensive unit, though a truly lock-down fast nugget small defender would be a good option to have.  Very happy with out Followers.  And that full-forward line could be outright unbeatable.

Goffy  As I continually post our nuggetty small defender is guess who??? JAY LOCKHART  remember him Goody forgot about Jay (why???) from about around 12.

we have far many other positions needing an AFL standard forward eg don't waste time re our defence.

Jay is a gun snd needs the confidence to develop by consistency around our other guns down back. 

23 hours ago, Cheesy D. Pun said:

We've got to add at least one more small forward. All of the forward lines put up here, still look way out of balance.

I'd like to see Melksham moved to another position (except when a HBF requires a tag) and replaced with a genuine small forward (Bedford or incoming player).

Our forward strategy is to pin the opposition defence in for repeat entries, however, we don't have the right cattle to get that done.

If we had two (or even three) Kozzys, I think it would unlock our whole game plan.

We need players that understand the running patterns (mostly unrewarded) required.

That's why I'm not so sure about dropping a mid in there. It can be done but it would require a pre-season of training and education.

Milks other possie is Emergency unless he improves snd tackles and runs!!!

39 minutes ago, 58er said:

Plays like he did this past season more likely emergency for Casey!!

• Like 1

On 11/13/2020 at 10:33 AM, 58er said:

2021 STARTING  ROUND 1

B    Lockhart May Hibberd

HB  Lever Petty Rivers

C     Langdon  Petracca  Baker

HF   Salem  Jackson  Fritsch 

F      Pickett  B.Brown  Weideman 

Foll   Gawn Oliver Viney

Inter  Brayshaw  Harmes Hunt Tomlinson

Emerg   Melksham  T. McDonald  Jones Sparrow.

Others  Van den Berg   Hore   Neal-Bullen Spargo J.Smith  M.Brown Jetta Jordon 

I really like your Team selection. Just wonder if you would consider a position on the Match Committee ?

2 hours ago, 58er said:

Tend to agree but he does have a tendency to be able to completely nullify a player when he gets that role so he must be doing some running.

That said, I agree there's probably not another position for him.

Well... here’s my best guess at what I think the best possible R1 lineup is.

This is taking into account a full and promising pre-season obv and where I think the club is hoping the development is personnel wise. Always a bolted form blue for R1 teams so I’m keeping that in mind also..

B: LEVER MAY HARMES

HB: RIVERS TOMLINSON SALEM

C: JORDON OLIVER LANGDON 

HF: HUNT WEIDEMAN FRITSCH

F: PICKETT B.BROWN JACKSON

R: GAWN VINEY PETRACCA

I: MELKSHAM, SPARROW, MCDONALD, BRAYSHAW

E: HIBBERD, SPARGO, BAKER, HORE

NEXT: VB, NIB, JETTA, JONES, PETTY

I found this excruciating... so tough!

Notes:

TMAC will be in the side, mark it down. He will be used in a variety of roles and it will downed largely on the opposition but Wing, Ruck, Floating BK/FWD—Versatility is his friend & boy already he’s lost a min of 6-8kgs & is moving like I haven’t seen in years. backup ruck is no joke of a role and that wing spot is open & OOZE has already indicated that a number of new players will be introduced to the midfield mix. Jordon’s ball use & decision-making skills for me give him a big shot at it and he’s my bolter. Might seem a stretch to call him a ‘bolter’ but when spots are THIS competitive & he’s in the team on a wing that indeed would be a bolt.. Baker I still can’t blv I couldn’t get him in somewhere, all depends on Melksham and his cond & continuity but fully fit and firing he’s too classy to leave out. But Baker is def also in that wing mix with many others inc Jackson (yep), Hunt would be but too same/same with Langdon we need at least one pinpoint disposal i50 hit Brown lead-up threat on a wing so Hunt will be either a permanent back or fwd for mine but either way he IS in, has to be. Harmes, Salem and Fritsch also in that wing mix, Sparrow is a bloody jet, so tough and composed he really could be a star as early as next year and is a lock for mine, prob takes Harmes spot in that mid rotation, but I think we will double down on Harmes down back it just makes sense for our depthchart but I think he will be more lockdown than run and link like they sort of tried to awful effect this year.

Tomlinson was so strong in DEF late but he has TMAC/HORE/PETTY clocking at heels and coaches fav Smith. Petty I’m hoping May get that gig long-term but boy I love him fwd but BB in means that’s gonna be too much of a logjam for him to get in so he may stay versatile. I nearly swapped Hore for Tomlinson but as I said he was so solid and Hore now has zero recent form to guide but again they LOVE him had his decision/disposal so again he’s right in mix that’s for sure.

Spargo again I thought MUST be in, his ceiling we all saw and reads the ball so well and is crafty by foot (over 12-27m only) so I was horrified to leave him out but Pickett does so much def and only needs 7 touches to turn a game so he has to get nod, and there just isn’t another spot for little Spargs at present.

Edited by Nudge

On 11/4/2020 at 1:26 PM, AaronDaveyChipsAndGravey said:

I know it's very early in the piece with trade and draft period yet to conclude, however it'd be interesting to see what people think is the best mix for our 22 given who may be coming in/going out for next years season? Could be a best possible scenario or what you think may happen this trade period with likely inclusions. 

FB: Hibberd May Lever

HB: Salem Tomlinson Rivers

C: Langdon Oliver Baker/Phillips

HF: Fritsch Weideman Brayshaw

FF: Pickett Brown Hunt 

FOL: Gawn Viney Trac

INT: Jackson Lockhart Spargo Harmes

Next few: Melksham, Smith, Sparrow, AVB

It doesnt look too likely that there'll be too many more inclusions past Ben Brown this trade period, however would still love to have Phillips on the wing. My only other thought is if Tmac stays, I'd like to see him have one last crack at CHB and see if Tomlinson can crack that wing role, if not I still think that we're relying too much on someone like Baker to perform out on that wing at this stage in his career. I know Melksham seems to be immune from the axe at selection, but I really dont think he has too much to offer that Fritsch already does. 

If Spargo gets anywhere near our best 21 we will not have improved 1iota

1 hour ago, picket fence said:

If Spargo gets anywhere near our best 22 we will not have improved 1iota

That should read best 22

Edited by picket fence
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, picket fence said:

If Spargo gets anywhere near our best 21 we will not have improved 1iota

You may be proved right. But we won't know until he's been tried over the next two seasons as a more mature player. Cut the kid some slack. He's been given a short term contract so let's see what happens. Not sure where your vitriol comes from.

• Like 2

Lockhart May️ Lever

Hibberd Tomlinson Salem

Langdon️ Viney️  Rivers

Harmes  Weideman Melksham 

Fritsch BenBrown Pickett

Gawn️ Petracca️ Oliver

Jackson️ Brayshaw Sparrow  ANB

emerg. Vandenburg  Tmcd  Hunt

depth. Jones Jetta  Spargo Hore Petty MitchBrown  Baker JoelSmith 

development. Jordan Bedford Nietschke Bradtke & plus 2020 drafteesx4  (Chandler???) 

retired KK. 

While I agree what we saw of Petty in 2019 was promising I have to wonder what makes so many on D-land gush about him being best 22 next year. For me he’s going to have a tough battle to get games. Whether it’s defence or forward he’s at least one player behind making the team. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Pates said:

While I agree what we saw of Petty in 2019 was promising I have to wonder what makes so many on D-land gush about him being best 22 next year. For me he’s going to have a tough battle to get games. Whether it’s defence or forward he’s at least one player behind making the team. 

Petty yes is no shoe in The best 22 but he is playing off Weid and Tommy Mac as CHF or FPocket and in defence maybe vs Tommy again  and Tomlinson at CHB.

So when you look at it this way it's a matter who is in best form etc. and who adapts to our new plans that are hopefully planned for the Forward  line especially.

If Tommy  Mac recovers His best form then the 3 forwards Weid  Tommy and Jacko will fight it out also with one of the ruck assistant role to be decided prob Jacko for development and skills he has.

Defence with either Petty or Mac at CHB would be enhanced over Tomlinson who is solid but wouldn't have the same impact as either of the other two.

Good practice matches and training Ahead for all  competing For spots.

Bring it on !!!!

• Like 1

Just now, 58er said:

Petty yes is no shoe in The best 22 but he is playing off Weid and Tommy Mac as CHF or FPocket and in defence maybe vs Tommy again  and Tomlinson at CHB.

So when you look at it this way it's a matter who is in best form etc. and who adapts to our new plans that are hopefully planned for the Forward  line especially.

If Tommy  Mac recovers His best form then the 3 forwards Weid  Tommy and Jacko will fight it out also with one of the ruck assistant role to be decided prob Jacko for development and skills he has.

Defence with either Petty or Mac at CHB would be enhanced over Tomlinson who is solid but wouldn't have the same impact as either of the other two.

Good practice matches and training Ahead for all  competing For spots.

Bring it on !!!

I'm backing in TMac to turn it all around this preseason and reclaim CHB.  
Lever to thrive when freed-up as a genuine third tall.
Rivers to develop into a pacey wingman/outside mid.
Lockhart to build his tank and confidence and lockdown the small defender position.
Harmes to return to the HFF and take Petracca's old role, with the occasional run in the middle.
Weideman, being released by a stay-at-home Brown, to play further up the ground.
Sparrow to cement his spot in the 22 at the expense of Jones, who we may only see when injuries hit (which they 100% will)
Brayshaw to play primarily as an inside mid.
With further interchange restrictions, Tomlinson to shine as one of our premier runners.  He might not be lauded as a star, but he can stay on the field all day and play in any position on the ground.
A fit Petracca, Oliver, Viney, Brayshaw, Harmes and Sparrow - all six rotating through the center square to cause headaches for opposition coches.

LOCKHART.              MAY.                   LEVER.
SALEM.               MCDONALD.        HIBBERD.  
LANGDON             OLIVER.        TOMLINSON. 
HARMES.            WEIDEMAN.    MELKSHAM. 
PICKETT.                BROWN.              FRITSCH. 
GAWN.                 PETRACCA.       BRAYSHAW.  

VINEY.    SPARROW.     RIVERS.      JACKSON.  

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Demon3 said:

Interesting little line from afl.com.au

Melbourne has re-signed a number of players it is yet to make public including Mitch BrownJay LockhartKade Chandler and James Jordon

so we have zero uncontracted players now

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Kent said:

so we have zero uncontracted players now

wrong, bedford and still no official word on bradtke but we can assume he will fulfil the 3rd year of cat b rookie status especially with our ruck depth

13 minutes ago, Turner said:

wrong, bedford and still no official word on bradtke but we can assume he will fulfil the 3rd year of cat b rookie status especially with our ruck depth

Thanks mate for the update