Posting Unsubstantiated Rumours on this Website is Strictly Forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Farewell Sam Weideman

DeeSpencer

Is there any other Club that a smart player who plays for us should consider.?

I mean one could go through the list and give an argument against just  about all of them

• Like 1

3 hours ago, layzie said:

Yeah really no point trading Weid. Back him in for his last contract year I guess. 

That assumes hé wants to stay.

Edited by old dee
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, layzie said:

If he wants to go then lets get the feelers out, get some trade happening and good luck to him!

No he's ruck depth now and he'll play if Max or Brodie miss.  He's a must keep IMO.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 9/29/2022 at 10:17 AM, Travy14 said:

He isn't a ruckman,  it's not a craft you learn in 1 year.  

Jeremy Finlayson seemed to develop his understanding of the craft and impacting around the ground in 2022

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, Pennant St Dee said:

Jeremy Finlayson seemed to develop his understanding of the craft and impacting around the ground in 2022

Impact around the ground isn't rucking,  finlayson and port also didn't make finals

• Like 1

Just now, layzie said:

These are my exact thoughts, I was talking about the hypothetical situation of him wanting to leave. 

Even if he wants to leave. He's in contract. If he's desperate to go, he can go at the end of next year. I don't think he is. I think he'll play AFL games for us next year and if luck falls against us with Max or Brodie, maybe plenty.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, old55 said:

Even if he wants to leave. He's in contract. If he's desperate to go, he can go at the end of next year. I don't think he is. I think he'll play AFL games for us next year and if luck falls against us with Max or Brodie, maybe plenty.

Well I don't think he wants to leave anyway so until then I agree he's a required player. But if he put his hand up and said he wanted to leave for more opportunity I don't think it would be right to keep him here against his will. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Travy14 said:

Impact around the ground isn't rucking,  finlayson and port also didn't make finals

Natanui gets first hands on the footy and gets totally stretched costing his team with opposition continuously transitioning through his opponent in general play

Witts, good ruckman AA 40 man squad, didn’t play finals

TDK had a really good development year as a ruckman, didn’t play finals

Ports run of wins came off the back of changing things around at CBDs and around the ground 

Rowan Marshall very hand ruckman, didn’t play finals

Todd Goldstein in the top half dozen rucks in the comp, didn’t play finals

There’s more to being a ruckman than just winning the tap, fair to say the Cats reinvented their ruck roles this season and took the flag

Edited by Pennant St Dee
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Pennant St Dee said:

Natanui gets first hands on the footy and gets totally stretched costing his team with opposition continuously transitioning through his opponent in general play

Witts, good ruckman AA 40 man squad, didn’t play finals

TDK had a really good development year as a ruckman, didn’t play finals

Ports run of wins came off the back of changing things around at CBDs and around the ground 

Rowan Marshall very hand ruckman, didn’t play finals

Todd Goldstein in the top half dozen rucks in the comp, didn’t play finals

There’s more to being a ruckman than just winning the tap, fair to say the Cats reinvented their ruck roles this season and took the flag

Hickey, Oscar Mac, Gawn the rucks in the top 4,  Sean Darcy, Nank and Tim Eng below them.

Coll and Geel the only ones with Genuine top level rucks

Port lost 4 of the last 6 which shows how sustainable that model is.

No problem with Weid as a back up,  but he isn't close to being ready for that role. 

• Like 1

if we want good cheap ruck depth i hope we're considering rookie-ing or SPP/DFA-ing Brayden crossley, i indend on calling up the exchange boys and asking their opinions on his prospects of re-entering the comp and how he'd be allowed to do it as a previously delisted player although time ago. he looked seriously promising coming through as a youngster at the suns

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Turner said:

if we want good cheap ruck depth i hope we're considering rookie-ing or SPP/DFA-ing Brayden crossley, i indend on calling up the exchange boys and asking their opinions on his prospects of re-entering the comp and how he'd be allowed to do it as a previously delisted player although time ago. he looked seriously promising coming through as a youngster at the suns

Crossley looks about 120kgs in the VFL. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Turner said:

Maybe if he runs from Southport to Melbourne 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Turner said:

Bigger than Merv Hughes - no chance.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mo64 said:

He might help with our salary cap. Looks like the type of bloke who'd accept a slab and a carton of ciggies as match payment.

I heard he doesn’t drink or smoke - so that might change your payment method. He also has a thyroid issue causing the weight issue he is carrying. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 9/29/2022 at 12:17 PM, Travy14 said:

He has not got the athleticism of either of those guys,  and would have to go with a Jackson, TDK, English ect.  He won't be able to keep up and compete.  

He isn't a ruckman,  it's not a craft you learn in 1 year.  

I agree he is not particularly athletic, but i reckon his rick craft is actually pretty good. 

He's done quite bit of ruck at Casey, and not just this season. In 2019 he did a quite bit of back up ruck work, and IIRC was the number one ruck in a few games (i think because of injury to the main ruck).

I remember writing on demonland a few times during that season that i thought Weed's ruck work was quite impressive.

One of things i find interesting about Weed in the ruck is he uses his body and strength better than he does as a forward, and is pushed off the ball less.

My feeling is he often gets pushed off the ball in marking contests because he slightly misreads the flight of the ball and ends up in the wrong spot, or is nudged off line by a defender who has read the flight better.

Reading the flight of the ball is obviously not quite the same issue in the ruck.  And at around the ground ball ups and throw in he can plant his feet and wrestle.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Neil Crompton said:

I heard he doesn’t drink or smoke - so that might change your payment method. He also has a thyroid issue causing the weight issue he is carrying. 

To Luci, DeeZone and mo64: I’m sorry guys, but I need to apologise to you. Its been a really slow day, and as I thought Crossley was being perhaps unfairly stereotyped, I made the above info up just for a bit of fun. For all I know he might drink like a fish, smoke like a chimney and eat pizza for breakfast lunch and dinner. Or again, he just might have thyroid issues.

Edited by Neil Crompton
  • Haha 3
  • Facepalm 2