Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Farewell Sam Weideman

DeeSpencer

The Weed played his role, but you need some knowledge of the game to come to that conclusion.

Any babbling [censored] could say otherwise after a great victory.

• Facepalm 1
  • Thinking 2
  • Vomit 1

I was at the game, it was a lousy night for big forwards, Weed competed in every forward entry, I think probably the  best 1 disposal game I have seen. And Freo are a snipey team they scragged him at every opportunity,  umpires just turn a blind eye to this every week,.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Clayton spirit said:

I don't think tonight raises any alarm bells. 1 disposal reads poorly, but saw him presenting well and working hard particularly in the 2nd half. That's not to say it wasn't a poor game , I just didn't feel it was significantly worse than last week 

So today he was bad, but not significantly worse than last week..... which means he was bad then as well but worse today.

I have never seen a bar set quite so low.

Lets hope his surname inspires Collingwood to do something stupid like offering us a late second rounder for him, because thats the best we can hope for.

He might be a fantastic person, but he aint a key forwards bootlace.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Vomit 2

From what I saw on TV, woeful.  It's really his lack of effort after the first contest, he just stands around and gawks at any ongoing contest and then eventually puts some half hearted effort.  He doesn't have the competitive desire or mongrel, that you can't teach.

The only exception was his contested mark, I think his first possession of the match. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Demon_spurs said:

I was at the game, it was a lousy night for big forwards, Weed competed in every forward entry, I think probably the  best 1 disposal game I have seen. And Freo are a snipey team they scragged him at every opportunity,  umpires just turn a blind eye to this every week,.

Indeed, the best 60 game, 60 possession career in living memory.  🙄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, faultydet said:

Staggering that people still hold out hope that he will suddenly have a breakout game and establish himself as a regular.

Our match committee would be chomping at the bit to bring almost anyone of Key Position height/size into the team to replace Weid. Just a shame that we may need to either bring an under-developed Van Rooyen, or an underdone TMac into the team on the eve of finals.

Weideman is a totally lost cause.

Agree, watched the game with a mate who has coached at a high level and who has been involved at an AFL club and he was scathing on his game! He cited... lack of intensity, physicality, body positioning and half hearted leads. As he said probably a very nice young fellow but needed some mongrel.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, willmoy said:

And yet people who have been coaching a Premiership Team select him, and us mere mortals deride their judgement.

This is a paradox of the little grey cells 'mes amis'.. 

Because we literally have nothing else in the cupboard. 

Had McDonald not got injured then Weideman barely plays.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, bluey said:

The Weed played his role, but you need some knowledge of the game to come to that conclusion.

Any babbling [censored] could say otherwise after a great victory.

Oh, no, I know footy quite well, much more than yourself.

Even lauded Sam earlier in the year for his efforts in Adelaide in playing his role in the ruck.

He may still have a role to play at this club in the wake of a certain ruckman leaving but when you praise a performance of invisibility and ineffectiveness you lose whatever credibility you have.

Our most impactful tall forward inside the 50 was Fritsch and outside the 50 was Melksham. They get to contests and compete when they get the ball down to ground.

• Like 8
  • Shocked 1

6 hours ago, Darkhorse72 said:

From what I saw on TV, woeful.  It's really his lack of effort after the first contest, he just stands around and gawks at any ongoing contest and then eventually puts some half hearted effort.  He doesn't have the competitive desire or mongrel, that you can't teach.

The only exception was his contested mark, I think his first possession of the match. 

I completely agree, shades of Hogan about it. Very poor second effort. 

8 hours ago, whatwhat say what said:

doesn't compete in the air well enough to play as a key back

I was suggesting we at least look at how he performs behind the ball, not necessarily as a lockdown defender on the opposition gorilla, more as the floating intercept defender. My dim memories of playing footy I remember competing in the air as a forward was much harder than as a defender where you don’t have someone off your left shoulder ready to punch the ball or more often your head. I note both Jeremy Howe and Darcy Moore were obvious forward talents, both struggled and now play in defence as intercept defenders. 

6 minutes ago, Earl Hood said:

I was suggesting we at least look at how he performs behind the ball, not necessarily as a lockdown defender on the opposition gorilla, more as the floating intercept defender. My dim memories of playing footy I remember competing in the air as a forward was much harder than as a defender where you don’t have someone off your left shoulder ready to punch the ball or more often your head. I note both Jeremy Howe and Darcy Moore were obvious forward talents, both struggled and now play in defence as intercept defenders. 

I’ve also been in the camp of trialling him as a back, out of sheer desperation. 

The risk for me is that he is such a poor judge of the footy. He constantly runs under the fall of the ball. Good judging of where the footy will land and associated positioning is one of a good backs most important attributes in my opinion. 

Edited by MoeSyzlak
  • Like 1
  • Thinking 1

As poor as Weid is in the air, and you could make excuses last night given the conditions, his complete lack of effort once the marking contest was over was staggering. It was almost like he was disinterested. To make a 2nd effort was an afterthought.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Earl Hood said:

We have Turner, Joel Smith and Tomlinson at Casey. Why bother experimenting with Weid as a backman to the detriment of others?

Weid isn't a forward talent, so any comparisons to Howe and Moore are not relevant.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, mo64 said:

We have Turner, Joel Smith and Tomlinson at Casey. Why bother experimenting with Weid as a backman to the detriment of others?

Weid isn't a forward talent, so any comparisons to Howe and Moore are not relevant.

Your last sentence doesn’t make much sense. All 3 players were regarded as elite forward talent when drafted. All 3 struggled at AFL level as forwards, 2 have since found their niche as defenders, the other is still struggling badly as a forward, is 25 years old with a year left on his contract. I’m looking at options to salvage something from a first round draft investment.  

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

9 hours ago, Demon_spurs said:

Glad someone said it.

He was held/pushed in every single contest that I saw (Gawn was held a significant amount as well). Some people need to seriously get some perspective. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

6 minutes ago, Ham said:

Glad someone said it.

He was held/pushed in every single contest that I saw (Gawn was held a significant amount as well). Some people need to seriously get some perspective. 

That happens to all forwards, it's part of the game, you learn to combat it with experience and effort. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 minute ago, Darkhorse72 said:

That happens to all forwards, it's part of the game, you learn to combat it with experience and effort. 

It get's called for other forwards and for those that it doesn't, they disappear in games as well. 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

8 hours ago, Darkhorse72 said:

This. On TV he looked appallingly lazy. I don’t care if he can’t take a contested mark. I’ve given up on that being him.
But it’s a non negotiable to compete. Weid did not compete. Laid 2 tackles but otherwise just stood and watched as his teammates tried fighting for the footy. 
This is the stuff that really disappoints me, because effort and intent can’t be taught. If he isn’t doing that stuff when he’s trying to cement a spot in the side, he never will. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Ham said:

It get's called for other forwards and for those that it doesn't, they disappear in games as well. 

You are firmly in the .0001 camp! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Ham said:

Glad someone said it.

That was how I see it too, and I haven't been able to get to games this year so far. There was a bit going on behind the play, as always, and I do wonder what other coaches think about Sam's role. If he starts winding up his impact more heavily, with that on ball unit, my my..

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Earl Hood said:

Your last sentence doesn’t make much sense. All 3 players were regarded as elite forward talent when drafted. All 3 struggled at AFL level as forwards, 2 have since found their niche as defenders, the other is still struggling badly as a forward, is 25 years old with a year left on his contract. I’m looking at options to salvage something from a first round draft investment.  

Howe and Moore showed talent as forwards, in particular with their contested marking. Weid's one and only talent is marking on a lead. Don't see how his skillset translates to being a backman.

Weid's draft position is irrelevant. We'll get what he's currently worth, however I don't see any other club being interested. I'm sure we shopped him around last year to get draft capital for Cerra. There were no takers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Ham said:

It's AFL football. In the post-match on Fox, they had Weitering miked up during a game. He was playing on Toby Greene and they were belting the sh#t out of each with open hand jabs to the upper body. Nothing reportable, just hard footy that happens every game. 

If Weid can't hack it after 7 years in the system, it's time to pull the plug.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Because we literally have nothing else in the cupboard. 

Had McDonald not got injured then Weideman barely plays.

Yep, and it's pretty clear Goody isn't a fan of Weid and even with our probable lack of key forward depth end of this year he might still be gone.

Just staggered some still haven't adjusted their expectations about him and still get so upset when he doesn't play a good game.

Edited by Lord Nev