Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Farewell Sam Weideman

DeeSpencer

It’s very possibly too late for this but I think Sam would really benefit from a stint in the backline. I really feel that it’s one of the things that makes Tommy so good as a forward, he understands the defenders mindset from having played there. I also think he’s never been given a single job, he’s always been pitching into different areas. 

As I’ve said, that time might’ve come and gone, but he just looks unsure of himself. Definitely doesn’t have the look of a guy that feels like he belongs in the 22 of the ladder leaders. 

• Love 2

24 minutes ago, Pates said:

Didn’t see much at all tonight, but I did see him compete to bring the ball to ground against one of the games best defenders. Maybe that was his role, I’m not sure, unfortunately when he finally did take a good reactionary forward contested mark it was touched and then took the late one but shanked the kick. 

Lucky for him Ben Brown has no VFL to get some form. 

This might just keep him in next week.

11 minutes ago, Pates said:

It’s very possibly too late for this but I think Sam would really benefit from a stint in the backline. I really feel that it’s one of the things that makes Tommy so good as a forward, he understands the defenders mindset from having played there. I also think he’s never been given a single job, he’s always been pitching into different areas. 

As I’ve said, that time might’ve come and gone, but he just looks unsure of himself. Definitely doesn’t have the look of a guy that feels like he belongs in the 22 of the ladder leaders. 

there's no way we'll mess with our structure

he looks bereft of confidence - not too dissimilar to the way plugger mac looked last year

it's going to be interesting to see what his options are at the end of the year

2 hours ago, Pates said:

couldn't agree more. I think he'd make a great defender. Good athleticism, attacks the ball in the air, long arms. I'd love to see him played there and I've said it for years.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Deestroy All said:

Yeah play him in defence, sick of seeing Lever, May and Petty clunk marks. I need dropped marks in defence back in my life.

That's one of the reason's why I think the time has passed. I feel like there have been opportunities in the past to do it, and Tomlinson getting hurt could have been one such moment, but I think with May, and Lever so settled back there and Petty is working his way into it nicely, this switch up isn't going to happen. Should (gulp) there be an injury to either of them I would look to Sam as the forward that's moved backward.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Deestroy All said:

Yeah play him in defence, sick of seeing Lever, May and Petty clunk marks. I need dropped marks in defence back in my life.

doesn't need to take marks mate, just spoil mate. Petty gave away 4 bad free kicks tonight so I wouldn't say we have depth in this position. It's not a coincidence we picked up defenders in the midseason draft. 

3 minutes ago, Dr.D said:

doesn't need to take marks mate, just spoil mate. Petty gave away 4 bad free kicks tonight so I wouldn't say we have depth in this position. It's not a coincidence we picked up defenders in the midseason draft. 

Best defence in the league, mate. Don’t need an out of form forward thrown down there just to see if there’s a spot for him. 

I understand the thinking behind it. But this is not the season for it. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

I haven’t read the posts on this thread but don’t need to. They will be Weeds no good, he’s had his chance, , drop him, he doesn’t do forward 50 pressure etc etc. My simple contribution is: keep playing him. He is a KP forward. They take years to mature.  He did enough today - flying for the ball (which he always does full tilt), providing  a contest, a few handballs out, good running into space - to earn his keep. Repeat keep playing him. One day  the marks he is getting to will stick. And then will see the potential bloom. For God’s sake we do not want to see him doing that anywhere but at our club.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, London Demon said:

I haven’t read the posts on this thread but don’t need to. They will be Weeds no good, he’s had his chance, , drop him, he doesn’t do forward 50 pressure etc etc. My simple contribution is: keep playing him. He is a KP forward. They take years to mature.  He did enough today - flying for the ball (which he always does full tilt), providing  a contest, a few handballs out, good running into space - to earn his keep. Repeat keep playing him. One day  the marks he is getting to will stick. And then will see the potential bloom. For God’s sake we do not want to see him doing that anywhere but at our club.

I couldn’t give a rats about this part, I just want him taking marks and kicking goals.

Unfortunately for Weideman, there is a 50 goal a season key forward waiting in the wings for us.

• Like 10

52 minutes ago, Clint Bizkit said:

I couldn’t give a rats about this part, I just want him taking marks and kicking goals.

Unfortunately for Weideman, there is a 50 goal a season key forward waiting in the wings for us.

Firstly, I’m not convinced he is a 50-goal a season player anymore...

Secondly, I think they’re going a ‘sum of the parts’ forward line strategy and they believe Weideman has a better chance of bringing the ball to ground. They got Brown because they thought he’d fix our forward line connection but it seems to have fixed itself without him (for the time being).

He doesn’t attack the footy as the ball approaches. It’s a confidence thing but if you don’t break out of the funk it can become habit - and you never run at the footy to the leap and Mark at your highest point with momentum through your body ie. the best way to get separation and absorb contact and take the grab.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Demon Disciple said:

Sams saving grace is that there is no vfl being played atm. 

Needs to be dropped regardless! BEN BROWN needs to come for a serious tilt at the premiership. Even Mitch Brown offers more at present!

• Like 4
  • Love 1

His second half was much better. He created several contests that set up goals for others, including Kozzie. His kicking has not been good but I think he needs a grab closer to goal to build some confidence. Apart from not hitting the scoreboard, he contributed. Take a look at the pic in The Age of Kozzie celebrating. Weid is in the background clenching his fist: he knew he'd done his job.

• Like 1

Stating the obvious, but he drops too many marks, and missed gettable shots for goal.

I remember that Hawkins was similar in his first few seasons. A real whipping boy. But he turned it round after a few seasons. I was hopeful that Sam could do the same thing, but it just hasn't happened.

Cameron Mooney likened Sam to Hawkins and Nathan Ablett, i.e. has has been doing his job. 

• Like 3

Anyway he is part of a forward set up which is kicking winning scores. You don’t change winning teams unless there is a very good reason. There ain’t here. 

I think the forward line is functioning very well with Sam in it.  To kick 15 goals v Brisbane is a very good effort.  Would have loved for him to kick a couple but I would be worried about bringing B Brown in and that effecting a forward line that is working.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, London Demon said:

Agree.

Our forward entries were haphazard last night and he was contesting against several defenders, including one of the best Defenders in the game.

Did you notice whose hands the Pickett goal off the front of the pack came from, it actually looked a set play?

He is our only young key forward atm and has proved himself in a final and he just needs his confidence back and he will be fine.

I recall the get rid of Tom Mac, Hunt, Spargo , Petty and  Jordon ( who hadn’t played a game) calls and where are they playing now?

I was one who wanted ANB gone and I was wrong. Yes he still makes mistakes but he has been a good contributor to our success.

Put your hands up if you wanted Goody gone?

We have one of the best talent finders ever in Taylor, who as my son mentioned last night, has most of his previous 3 years selections currently in the side.

Together with guys like Choco, who know football talent, we are in good hands with our playing list. I trust them immensely and am wrapt they are with us.

Too many on here judge too quickly and frankly, wrongly.

Edited by Redleg
  • Like 3

To be fair the ball just didn’t spend much time in our forward half in the first two quarters - when it did it was either bombed in or not kicked to advantage 

I watched him closely last night and he is frustrating because it’s clear there is ability - he can jump and get his hands to the ball but just struggles to hang on 

His kicking usually is reliable but last night he looked as if he was putting himself under pressure as though he knows it’s critical for him to score goals to retain his spot 

I really feel he would be a much better player if he tried to use his agility to lead into space where possible and others kick in front of him 

He’s not Hawkins, he’s not going to be a contested mark beast he needs to learn how to maximise his strengths and the rest of the team need to help him get there

Ive never been convinced Sam has the real hunger but he does have ability 

When I compare him to Trent Rivers it’s obvious one is a natural footballer 

I hope Sam and the coaching group can work it out and get him firing because it’s one area of this team that’s a bit off - I was thinking last night how good this team would be with Hipwood running around in our forward 50 

• Like 1

We have to persevere with Sam.

He does some good things at different times but hasn’t quite put it all together. The double-grabbing is the worry for me. If he can make 2-3 more marks a game stick then his confidence will rise and he will kick on

Chocco gave him a huge rap over the pre-season comparing him to Tredrea. The coaching team have faith him so I think we should as well.

I have a vision of him kicking a bag against the pies. Wouldn’t it be something to see a Weideman putting them to the sword. An added bonus would be having Eddie commentating while he does it.

• Like 2

TMac turns 29 in September. Ben Brown turns 29 in November. Mitch Brown will be 31 in August. Add to that Max is 30 at the end of this year.

Other than Sam we don't have any KPFs coming through. At nearly 24, he is about to hit his best years. And even if his best is not super star, we are going to need key forwarded on the list over the next 3 years.

I think that unless we get massive offered massive overs for his value, and have a plan for accelerated development of other forward depth, it is pretty critical we keep Sam for the next few years. At worst as depth during what should be a successful period, and best because he will be needed to step up as others drop off.

• Like 10