Posting Unsubstantiated Rumours on this Website is Strictly Forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Nathan Jones Locked in for 2021

Demonland

I’ll go.  
His heart is red and blue. His courage and loyalty is unrivaled.  

Is he in decline? Yes

Is he restricted? Yes

Is he still able to compete and play a role ? Yes. 

Can he be a mentor for the younger blokes about professionalism and what it takes? Absolutely 

I feel he will also be in much lower $ probably as low as about $250k. 

He may or may not to 300 games but he is depth, he is cover and he is able to make a meaningful contribution if required. 

If you go back to the Crows and Collingwood games this year, you will see what he can still brings. 

• Like 10
  • Love 6

• Whispering_Jack changed the title to Nathan Jones Locked in for 2021

1 minute ago, george_on_the_outer said:

Yes....this is what Club culture is all about.  He will get games if he is good enough, if not we haven't shoved a leader out the door like we did with Junior.

Was just writing this when you posted...in total agreement 'george'...

Some decisions are made for cultural reasons.

We can remember the discontent caused by the decision to flick Junior out of the club...

I'm happy for Jones to stay on...he may not play a lot of senior footy if any but he will be a valuable contributor.

• Like 12
  • Love 1

Fantastic news. Even if he doesn't play all that much, this is the kind of thing that builds culture. Look at North after they dumped their veterans, look at Collingwood with the Treloar situation at the moment. And you don't need to go that far back to see what happened to our club after we continuously delisted and moved on our most loyal players from the 2000's.

Bringing in Yze and Green, keeping Jones around. It seems as though we've learned at least a little from the past.

• Like 14
  • Love 2

Im happy. This is the type of decision that builds clubs internally. My guess is he's well loved and is an important source of social glue in the trying times of Covid as well as being a great guide and teacher to the younger players. No one expects more than a handful of games from him but I think what he brings is worth the invest. I hope he gets to 300, it would lift the whole club.

• Like 5

James McDonald was captain in 2010 and had played 16 of 22 games. 

It's not culture to extend Jones because of McDonald. Every decision is different, especially one made 10 years apart.

The same thing applies to the 300 games. If the games are gifted the milestone loses its significance. 

I've been against Jones playing on for 2 years now but funnily enough I'm starting to change my mind.

I'm actually ok with this because I think Jones made a couple of important changes to his game this year. 

1. He seemed to embrace defensive efforts far stronger than he has in the past
2. He embraced a coaching/mentoring role more and got involved in that at the end of the season.

Leadership and coaching are our best ways to improve this offseason. Experienced players are required to get the messages across and set the tone. If Jones has that in him he'll be a far greater asset than the list spot.

• Like 6

The last thing we want to show our younger players is how we turf out champions of the football club as they age, I'm sure he will play just a couple of games adds a bit of depth. Remember what happened last time we got rid of our aging champs.

McDonald
Bruce
Yze
White

and more got dumped before their time was up and it killed the culture we had grown throughout the Reverend era.

Edited by DemonSam
  • Like 2

I don't understand why a lot of people are knocking this decision. Look at Travis Boak for example, he's a veteran who didn't have a great 2019 and a lot of people were saying he was done.

He got himself into form with a solid pre season and he tallied incredibly well in the brownlow this year. I'm not saying that Jones is of the same calibre that Boak is, but if the hunger is still there i'm sure Jonesy will give the off season a red hot crack to try and get back to some decent form.

I think he understands that games are not given so i'm sure he'll put in work to reach his 300 games.

• Like 3

The thing is, Nathan Jones is going to offer 10x as much off the field as our 40th bloke will overall. and that's even if he doesn't play a game. and with a reduced soft cap, guys like this are going to be like gold as essentially development coaches. 

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, Marcus94 said:

I don't understand why a lot of people are knocking this decision. Look at Travis Boak for example, he's a veteran who didn't have a great 2019 and a lot of people were saying he was done.

He got himself into form with a solid pre season and he tallied incredibly well in the brownlow this year. I'm not saying that Jones is of the same calibre that Boak is, but if the hunger is still there i'm sure Jonesy will give the off season a red hot crack to try and get back to some decent form.

I think he understands that games are not given so i'm sure he'll put in work to reach his 300 games.

Boak had a poor 2018 played as a forward and then went back in to the midfield in 2019/2020. It's unlikely Jones is going back in to the middle.

Jones is a year older so next year for him will be the equivalent of 2022 for Boak if you're comparing apples with apples.