Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

2020 Player Reviews: #46 Austin Bradtke

Demonland

2020 Player Reviews: #46 Austin Bradtke

Category B rookie with a junior basketball background who was limited to local scratch matches early and then hub games. Based on that, there’s little to go on for an assessment of his progress. However, in light of Braydon Preuss’ imminent departure, it’s likely that he will remain on the list for further development in 2021.

Date of Birth: 27 May 2000

Height: 204cm

Weight: 91kg

Games MFC 2020: 0

Career Total: 0

Goals MFC 2020: 0

Career Total: 0

• Like 1

He's been around a few years now - is there any indication that he is capable of becoming an AFL player?

I doubt that we are doing him any favours keeping him at the club if we can't guarantee him significant time as number one ruckman at Casey next year. He would be better developing in an environment where he can get the game time he needs.

IIRC, there were indications (from Demonland track- watchers and Casey-watchers) that he was progressing quite well in the second half of 2019, but there's no way of knowing what (if any) progress he has made this year.  A 'bean-pole' Category B Rookie who will obviously take time to develop, but only Club insiders would know if he's worth persevering with.

• Like 1

Did a few nice things against North in that scratch match at Arden St. That was up against Xerri who played a few games as a back up for North this year and is physical and not the worst.

Who knows what he did after that. Not a name that got any publicity for scratch match performances. 

45 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Did a few nice things against North in that scratch match at Arden St. That was up against Xerri who played a few games as a back up for North this year and is physical and not the worst.

Who knows what he did after that. Not a name that got any publicity for scratch match performances. 

I have seen him a few times for Casey obviously not this year. Does not have it from what I have seen. I have seen nothing to suggest he will make a reasonable VFL ruckman.

31 minutes ago, old dee said:

I have seen him a few times for Casey obviously not this year. Does not have it from what I have seen. I have seen nothing to suggest he will make a reasonable VFL ruckman.

You saw his first few games of senior footy after 1 preseason having not played the game for years. How far off the standard he was doesn’t really matter, it’s the rate of improvement that does. I hope the club can provide some years in review stuff once they finalise the list. Clearly it won’t be negative on players we end up keeping but some vision and reflections would be appreciated. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

You saw his first few games of senior footy after 1 preseason having not played the game for years. How far off the standard he was doesn’t really matter, it’s the rate of improvement that does. I hope the club can provide some years in review stuff once they finalise the list. Clearly it won’t be negative on players we end up keeping but some vision and reflections would be appreciated. 

His first year was 2018, last year was his second. I gave  my opinion based on 2019 season. Are we not allowed to give an opinion now if it is negative?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

I saw him in the pre season and he has all the athletic ability to succeed. But is very raw and needs gym work and footy IQ. Needs games so 2020 meant he has been stuck in his development.  Another Cat B rookie year hopefully in 21

Will there big such a thing?

i wish we'd just get rucks from other clubs/vfl/wafl.. it seems as though the club are against this? it seems more likely than a cat b rookie. surely we can find some flashy winger/FF with no tank whatsoever to fill that spot next time?

I've watched him play about 4-5 times and have posted each time. In the first couple of games I watched (spread over the first year) he got utterly rag-dolled and I expected that given his size, weight and absence from the game in his teenage years. I was looking for positives in his game and they were that he is by far the best kick of all the rucks at the time - probably akin to Tim English for kicking. The other thing was he appeared very clean below his knees for a giant stick insect and his dish offs were pretty slick.  In one game he was pushed off the ball so easily it was almost comical. He then received instructions to jump over the other ruckman, which he did comfortably and evened up the score with whoever it was. He also never gave up - important!

I confess, I'm still none the wiser on the ruck craft until he can get more size on him and experience (NB Max was a very ordinary ruckman until he worked out how to use his height to advantage and took the game a bit more seriously), but Bradtke looked much improved earlier this year and I'm hopeful that if the club can afford to hold onto him, while he develops, he could be a very decent player. Again, the closest I can think of as a comparison is Tim English. Luke Jackson might change this formula though. He has already leapt ahead given his many assets, but I could see a Jackson / Bradtke combo being formidable when Max retires. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, old dee said:

definitely has a long way to go from the few times I have watched him.

was only a relieving ruck at Casey in 2019 given they played Buxton when Preuss was not playing.

You have to wonder what benefit he got from the hub in terms of development

1 hour ago, old dee said:

His first year was 2018, last year was his second. I gave  my opinion based on 2019 season. Are we not allowed to give an opinion now if it is negative?

He signed on in mid 2018 but wasn't allowed to start official training in November like any other draft pick from that year. Hence what you were seeing was his first games of senior footy and some of his first games in over 3 years. I said the club wouldn't be negative if he stayed on the list. You can be as negative as you like, just be aware of what you were watching.

With Bradtke not eligible to be signed until the end of a three-year registration process, it means the earliest he can officially join the Demons’ list is November,

“It’s been two and a half years, so he can’t do anything now until the end of this junior football season,” Mark said.

“We’re allowed to go have a kick down at the park that’s all he can do, he’s still playing basketball, working out and lifting weights, but he’s not playing footy.

cat b will definitely be staying around, possibly shrunk from 2 spots to 1 tho, too successful with the irish guys, cox, keath, blic off the top of my head and also is outside the TPP so doesn't get affected by that, surprised he hasnt signed on yet but i guess they'll wait and do a big group announcement in the next wave and just slide him in as it's not the most exciting news. considering the year it was there's no reason to scratch him off and replace him in the B spot as theres been no alternatives to scout out

15 hours ago, Rocky said:

i wish we'd just get rucks from other clubs/vfl/wafl.. it seems as though the club are against this? it seems more likely than a cat b rookie. surely we can find some flashy winger/FF with no tank whatsoever to fill that spot next time?

We have a phenomenal track record of developing Ruckmen, why would we want to change that and pick up another team's failure... ala, Preuss.