Jump to content

  • Podcast:     

  • Podcast:     


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So first of all Corey Wagner wasn't traded in. He was taken in the rookie draft I'm pretty sure after his B&F season at Casey the year after being delisted by North. Balic cost us Pick 66 whi

Mahoney interview: Ben Brown:  Started trade conversation with North and deal will get done in next 10 days.  Had some discussions around picks/players.  It won't be a first round pick. 

Posted Images

13 hours ago, rjay said:

Actually it's not where I stand 'Bob'...it's where the competition sees him now.

Why I keep going over it now is that some seem to think he has trade value when he has next to none.

There isn't a queue of clubs wanting his services.

 

Tommy has been a great servant and a credit to himself to carve out the career he has but his time may be up.

Well we really don't know if there are any suitors and "not being worth a cracker" is not where the competition sees him. 

His contract in relation to what he provides is what is out of kilter.  Are you suggesting that if he was a delisted FA he'd not find a home somewhere?

We all know his history and his poor output is a disappointment but your tone seemed a bit disrespectful to a someone who, in your own words "has been a great servant and a credit to himself".  And while you think it's necessary to correct those who think he has value I think it's important to stand up for someone who has served us well.

Edited by Baghdad Bob
  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Redleg said:

What did he say?

Briefly,  started off describing us as Swiss cheese. Lots of holes. Often contradicted his concerns eg not much in way of very young players but loves Kozzy, Jackson and Rivers. Also said our on-ballers are pretty young. Feels we need more run from half back and said he thought Salem would be a better player than he is. Thinks we need more depth in key position back - too reliant on May but did concede Lever was better this year. Said we need to get a back up ruck to replace Pruess. Thinks Brown is a very good get. Earlier he said we should seriously consider Magpies fire sale players especially Treloar as well as Phillips. Thinks Adam would be perfect for us.

  • Thanks 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Marcus94 said:

what did you think of the summary @DemonWheels


I don’t know too much about Rendell but it sounded like he was trying to ‘go hard’ at the holes in our list to begin with (maybe because he knows Jason Taylor pretty well, which was briefly discussed) – but as he spoke through his points it was clear our list is a lot more positive than the headline he gave.

He also doesn’t really seem to know our list well at all (“Is Hibberd still on their list”, an example). 
He rambles a bit and there was no real structure to what he was saying. Here is what I caught:

List headline or theme:
‘Swiss Cheese’ – ‘Got some holes in it’

– Overall a bit light on with kids
– Jackson will be a star
– Rivers and Pickett will be stars
– May had a super year
– But with pushing out the McDonalds if May goes down we’ll be in trouble
– Need Another key back
– Desperate need: key forward – Ben Brown is coming so that should be filled
– Salem: Needs more of the ball and needs to run more. Is a good player but isn’t as good as he probably should be
– Hole: Lacking half backs (Rendell didn’t seem to think Rivers was a half back or maybe he got confused here)
– Petracca been great
– Need another player who can ‘burst’ away just like Petracca
– Touched on Treloar and Rendell believes he is a perfect match for Melbourne
– Silvagni rebutted that: Treloar doesn’t run both ways in the midfield (and won’t help Melbourne’s midfield who are similar)

Positives
– Nearly made the eight with the holes / weaknesses mentioned
– Natural improvement will come
– Should be so much more improvement to come
– Core group are still young, a lot of football ahead for them

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DemonWheels said:

 

Positives
– Nearly made the eight with the holes / weaknesses mentioned
– Natural improvement will come
– Should be so much more improvement to come
 

 

 

Yes, and based on this we should be aiming for top 4.

Going from 9th to just making it into the 8 will not be good enough.

Link to post
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Whispering_Jack said:

Stunning trade done by the Demons - 
The Brisbane Lions trade Round 3 (43) and its Future Round 4 2021 Selection to Melbourne for its Round 3 (53) and a Future Round 3 2021 Selection.

Brilliant (if only I could work out what it means. 😀

Clearly this is the start of another deal.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Whispering_Jack said:

Stunning trade done by the Demons ~ 

The Brisbane Lions trade Round 3 (43) and its Future Round 4 2021 Selection to Melbourne for its Round 3 (53) and a Future Round 3 2021 Selection.

Brilliant (if only I could work out what it means. 😀

003D7D00-49F4-49E4-8C48-1EBC9369F2C3.jpeg

you beaut!  ;-)

guess we need 43 (rather than 53) for a trade?

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Whispering_Jack said:

Stunning trade done by the Demons ~ 

The Brisbane Lions trade Round 3 (43) and its Future Round 4 2021 Selection to Melbourne for its Round 3 (53) and a Future Round 3 2021 Selection.

Brilliant (if only I could work out what it means. 😀

 

We have gone up 10 spots this year and down 20+ spots next year...

I'm guessing they want #43 to finish off the Hannan, Preuss or Brown deal.   I hope we don't give 43 to Ess for Phillips.  They are making crazy demands on clubs while not willing to give anything themselves.  One way traffic.

 

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/2/2020 at 7:34 PM, Whispering_Jack said:

Daily summary ~

Matt Rendell says the Bombers need to pay up for Josh Dunkley. “When you're chasing a bloke that has two years left on their contract, then cough up. Don't stuff around! Cough up"

"Ben Brown has chosen Melbourne. The Dees have met with him, done a medical, and he will request the trade" - Sam Edmund

Jesse Hogan has officially requested a trade to the Giants. The Dockers will clear him.

Geelong a little surprised the Giants matched the Jeremy Cameron offer.

The Treloar saga continues. Nathan Buckley responded to Sam Edmund's report that the coach informed Adam Treloar senior players don't want him to return to the club.

St Kilda say they won't be trading their first-round pick in any potential trade for Brad Crouch.

So arrogant.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

And, as day 3 of the trade period comes slowly to an end, here’s my summary of the activity:-

* the only deal reported for the day involved the Demons.

Melbourne has exchanged its third round pick (currently 53) and a future third round pick, for draft selection 43 (third round) and a future fourth. 

The rest was commentary and that is all folks. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DemonWheels said:

 


I don’t know too much about Rendell but it sounded like he was trying to ‘go hard’ at the holes in our list to begin with (maybe because he knows Jason Taylor pretty well, which was briefly discussed) – but as he spoke through his points it was clear our list is a lot more positive than the headline he gave.

He also doesn’t really seem to know our list well at all (“Is Hibberd still on their list”, an example). 
He rambles a bit and there was no real structure to what he was saying. Here is what I caught:

List headline or theme:
‘Swiss Cheese’ – ‘Got some holes in it’

– Overall a bit light on with kids
– Jackson will be a star
– Rivers and Pickett will be stars
– May had a super year
– But with pushing out the McDonalds if May goes down we’ll be in trouble
– Need Another key back
– Desperate need: key forward – Ben Brown is coming so that should be filled
– Salem: Needs more of the ball and needs to run more. Is a good player but isn’t as good as he probably should be
– Hole: Lacking half backs (Rendell didn’t seem to think Rivers was a half back or maybe he got confused here)
– Petracca been great
– Need another player who can ‘burst’ away just like Petracca
– Touched on Treloar and Rendell believes he is a perfect match for Melbourne
– Silvagni rebutted that: Treloar doesn’t run both ways in the midfield (and won’t help Melbourne’s midfield who are similar)

Positives
– Nearly made the eight with the holes / weaknesses mentioned
– Natural improvement will come
– Should be so much more improvement to come
– Core group are still young, a lot of football ahead for them

 

Another example of people commenting and making money in this industry with nothing other than common knowlege to report.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Whispering_Jack said:

I understand that the Lions are planning to only use two picks at the draft. Their third selection overall would be a rookie upgrade. Hence they don’t need pick 43 and will use 53 for that purpose. No brainer from their POV and a win for both clubs.

53 probably enough to get cockatoo up there rather than 43 i suppose

Link to post
Share on other sites

i really wish rendell went harder because he was right when he called us swiss cheese

we have a gap as a small defender (jury still out on all of nev, lockhart, hore)

rebounding defender (hibbo in final years, agree salo underwhelms and who's next in?)

wing (BAKER IS NOT THE ANSWER TOM PHILLIPS MIGHT BE)

half forward (i refuse to watch another twelve months of hunt, ANB, melky & vanders try to underperform each other, get narkle)

small forward (bedford and spargo need opportunity but arent best 22 locks stronger competition doesn't hurt)

i really struggle to see how we're being ruthless this year when the only players who are leaving are preuss (contracted requested trade) and hannan (offered 2yrs anyway) bog standard, bang average, middle of the road trade period in the wors and its gonna result in proven players wanting out next year to ur essendons, freo, carlton who are rising and are actively searching for potential upgrades and improvements and not settling for what we've got

Link to post
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Baghdad Bob said:

Well we really don't know if there are any suitors and "not being worth a cracker" is not where the competition sees him. 

His contract in relation to what he provides is what is out of kilter.  Are you suggesting that if he was a delisted FA he'd not find a home somewhere?

We all know his history and his poor output is a disappointment but your tone seemed a bit disrespectful to a someone who, in your own words "has been a great servant and a credit to himself".  And while you think it's necessary to correct those who think he has value I think it's important to stand up for someone who has served us well.

Fair call 'Bob'...it is, and definitely not the right thing to say.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

It was a weird list analysis. He wasn't completely wrong, but as others have said, he contradicted himself as well.

Said we're good for inside mids and small forwards (noting we should continue to play Spargo), and that we're addressing our needs for tall forward and back up ruck.

So the main areas he reckons we lacked were tall backs, running backs and another wing. 

Personally I don't agree re tall backs given we have May, Lever, Tomlinson and Petty plus Smith & Hore who could play as the number 3 or 2 at a pinch tall back.

Running backs I agree is an issue with both Hibberd and Jetta on last legs, jury still out on Lockhart and that only leaving Salem & Rivers. I heard someone mention we may be into Marley Williams and I think that would be a good short term solution for 2 or 3 years while we build that area.

And as for the other wing, I'm hoping we're eyeing the Bulldogs Pick 14 so we can land MacRae or Cook for that spot.

That could be enough to turn the swiss cheese into a nice bree and what we need for premiership 13!

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, MadAsHell said:

It was a weird list analysis. He wasn't completely wrong, but as others have said, he contradicted himself as well.

Said we're good for inside mids and small forwards (noting we should continue to play Spargo), and that we're addressing our needs for tall forward and back up ruck.

So the main areas he reckons we lacked were tall backs, running backs and another wing. 

Personally I don't agree re tall backs given we have May, Lever, Tomlinson and Petty plus Smith & Hore who could play as the number 3 or 2 at a pinch tall back.

Running backs I agree is an issue with both Hibberd and Jetta on last legs, jury still out on Lockhart and that only leaving Salem & Rivers. I heard someone mention we may be into Marley Williams and I think that would be a good short term solution for 2 or 3 years while we build that area.

And as for the other wing, I'm hoping we're eyeing the Bulldogs Pick 14 so we can land MacRae or Cook for that spot.

That could be enough to turn the swiss cheese into a nice bree and what we need for premiership 13!

Agree with your comments, with a few minor differences 

Small Lockdown defender is the real hole, reliant on a Lockhart making it, who is next in line.

Running backs Salem, Rivers & Hibberd is okay.

Wing a Phillips or Polec would fill the hole, relying on Baker because he kicked two good goals against GWS seems a major risk.

One more small pressure type forward, I do like Higgins from Tiggers!

With confusion over cap and list size, Demons likely hamstrung unless one of Macs traded out. Maybe OMac plus 43 for Polec Less some salary may work!

If Brown does happen as seems likely will be one of the best trades of the draft for impact on team performance!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Crazy these are the so called experts we are supposed to tune in to listen to, yet he says something like “is Hibberd still on their list”. I understand they need to cover 18 teams, but the average Demonland poster could give a better summary.

  • Like 8
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    CANCEL CULTURE by Whispering Jack

    I’m not one who likes mixing politics with sport but it should be noted there have been some unusual trends in the world of sport lately. In the US, Major League Baseball announced that it’s moving the 2021 All-Star Game and the 2021 MLB Draft out of Georgia, in response to the state’s new voting law. Over here, there’s a move to force Carlton to change its club song because the original song on which it was based (written in the late 1800s) has “racist connotations”. The Blues maintain the curr

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    MOGGIES MASTERED by George on the Outer

    They say that herding cats is an impossible task but not for the Melbourne Demons who through relentless pressure, scored a commanding 25 point victory in Round 4 over Geelong at the MCG. The team that missed the AFL finals only once in the past dozen years were shown up by the new Demons of 2021 who have recorded their first 4-0 opening to the season in 21 years! Melbourne knew what was coming, and it was Geelong who were shown up for their inability to adapt to the 2021 style of foot

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    UNDER MY SKIN by The Oracle

    The story goes that there’s a certain player from Geelong who has been seen in Moorabool Street crooning the old Sinatra classic, “I’ve got you under my skin.” His name is O’Connor and he’s been tasked to achieve one thing on Sunday by his coach, Chris Scott: to get under the skin of a Demon midfielder on Sunday and thereby tag him out of the big contest at the G. The idea behind the tactic is to not only blunt one of the team’s most destructive weapons but to distract them all from producing th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    MAX IN SPACE

    Demon skipper Max Gawn is one big unit at 208cm and lately he’s been standing even taller. We already know that he’s unstoppable in the air when going for a mark but with three consecutive victories to open the season, you might say that he has his head in the clouds.  And that is literally true thanks to a fan at Demonland.com who recently arranged for our big ruckman to go even further than the clouds but way beyond to the edge of space and into the stratosphere. And this photograph of Ma

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 25

    CAPITAL PUNISHMENT by George on the Outer

    A 34-point win in the nation’s capital has seen the Demons kill the Giants hopes early in the 2021 season. It wasn’t only the scoreboard, but a succession of injuries to major players for GWS that has put paid to their aspirations. The winning result wasn’t just due to the opposition losing players, but also to the relentless pressure from this 2021 Melbourne side that put them in the winners circle. In past years, a 16 point deficit at the first change combined with a rampant Toby Greene w

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    POWER AND THE PASSION by Whispering Jack

    The Demons ran out for their Qualifying Final match against the Fremantle Dockers at Casey Fields as the sounds of Midnight Oils’ “Power and the Passion cascaded over the mainly friendly pro-Melbourne crowd. It was a far cry from the season opener at Carrara in late January where few of their fans were in attendance in high 20’s heat and humidity and silence greeted every score from the slow-starting Demons. They ran away from the lowly Suns, won comfortably in the end and followed that with ano

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    BREAK OUT by Whispering Jack

    Despite the chaotic events occurring in Canberra over the past few weeks, one thing is for certain. This weekend’s game at Manuka Oval in the nation’s capital between the GWS Giants and Melbourne will decide which of Scott Morrison or Leon Cameron is the most under the pump at this point in time.  This time twelve months ago, the Giants were coming off a season in which they had played off in a grand final. They opened up their 2020 campaign with a resounding 32-point victory in round 1 aga

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    MARVELOUS PRESSURE by George on the Outer

    Is this a new form of Melbourne which has suddenly emerged in 2021?  In the past, whenever the pressure was applied, the team would falter early and as a consequence, it would more often than not, be forced to confront its own self-inflicted failure. But perhaps not so this year. The match at Marvel Stadium against the Saints provided an insight into how creating pressure, actually relieves it on the club, players and coach. Right from the start, Melbourne was there to make a stat

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    STUCK IN THE MIDDLE by The Oracle

    Throughout the off season, St Kilda was touted as an improver and a possible challenger for a top four position mainly off the back of another good trade and draft period at the end of last year. Then in Round 1, the undermanned Saints made a shaky start and almost succumbed to the Giants but they managed to come home from a wet and woolly Sydney with the four points intact. For Round 2, they have a couple of handy players returning so they come into the the game at Marvel Stadium choc

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    A SCRAPPY, SLOPPY SUCCESS by George on the Outer

    After what seemed like an eternity without Footy in Melbourne, the Demons and their fans produced a scrappy, sloppy yet successful return to the MCG. Yet is was against an interstate team from the furthest reaches of the country, but the 21K fans who made it through the gates, was way below expectations for numbers.  Sure it can’t have helped with all the difficulty that Ticketek imposed just to get a ticket, and since you just couldn’t walk up, perhaps the number wasn’t that surprising.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    UNFINISHED BUSINESS by Whispering Jack

    The Melbourne Football Club has unfinished business with Fremantle after that unexpected loss in their previous clash at Cazaly’s Stadium in Cairns cost it a place in last year’s finals campaign.   Back then, the tired Demons spluttered listlessly through the humid conditions in tropical far North Queensland playing in and losing two games in the space of four days and against two lowly clubs. The end result was much more than an embarrassment for the club given what was at stake at th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    PRACTICE PUMMELLING by George on the Outer

    Was this a practice for what lay ahead for the Demons in 2021 or was it an outcome to expect because it was used as a true practice game? Those of us on the outside will never know, but a 39 point loss to the Western Bulldogs was a pummelling in anyone’s language. We can draw some consolation from the players that Melbourne put on the field, with Toby Bedford, Jake Bowey, Kade Chandler, James Jordon and Tom Sparrow each getting a guernsey whereas they probably would not normally be in the f

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports


×
×
  • Create New...