• Podcast:     

• Podcast:     

Bartlett: Dees a Top 4 List

4 minutes ago, Grr-owl said:

Check out the Game Plans and Tactics thread. Seems we are onto something....

Its a great thread and excellent chats.  Good theories and good opinions.

But I need to see Goodwin's system succeed on the footy field, week after week with everyone on the same page.  Can't wait for the start of the 2021 season.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 1
  • Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Awesome.  People whine about Richmond overtaking us, but the half media this week has been about Gale's bold road-map for success. The MFC makes similar calls and everyone starts whining again. 

It's not just Melbourne that rates our list. The industry rates our list. And we're not getting enough bang for our buck. That needs to change next year or Goodwin will be gone.

Hi everyone, As you might have heard on Fox Sports, we interviewed Glen Bartlett for this week's episode of the Deeluded podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/deeluded-the-melbourne-demo

1 minute ago, DeeSpencer said:

If - as the quote implies - his judgment on the list is from speaking to outsiders that concerns me. Especially if it’s President to President level and he’s talking to others who see Gawn, Oliver, Petracca and don’t really know football. 

Pert’s time at Collingwood started successfully but the longer it went the worst the Pies footy department became.

Bucks was appointed too early. They burnt through a number of administrators including losing Balmey. They took Derek Hine away from recruiting in to a list management role he wasn’t good at. They stuffed their salary cap recruiting a number of big name flops - Wells, Greenwood, Mayne.

I have little confidence he knows more about footy than the people he’s reviewing. If we wanted it done properly we should’ve got Dunstall in for an independent review. 

You obviously know everything DS 

Do you work inside the Club?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jnrmac said:

Buckinnoidea.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

You obviously know everything DS 

Do you work inside the Club?

No I don't. But if I wanted to get an opinion on the strength of a list the last people I'd ask is the various club President's. The second last group of people I'd ask is the CEO's. 

The admins job is to drive the culture and provide resources. If they are making decisions for the people who should be making them that won't help. Especially at this time of year when short term decisions can hamper a club where as bold decisions - Richmond trading Deledio, Port trading Polec and Wingard - don't have to mean a club is going backwards at all.

9 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

No I don't. But if I wanted to get an opinion on the strength of a list the last people I'd ask is the various club President's. The second last group of people I'd ask is the CEO's. 

The admins job is to drive the culture and provide resources. If they are making decisions for the people who should be making them that won't help. Especially at this time of year when short term decisions can hamper a club where as bold decisions - Richmond trading Deledio, Port trading Polec and Wingard - don't have to mean a club is going backwards at all.

But you have no idea who Bartlett has been talking too, all he has done is put his own reputation on the line. At no stage did he infer that he was making the decisions. But new Blood will be bought in. I don’t think we can ask for more in October 

1 hour ago, Sir Why You Little said:

But you have no idea who Bartlett has been talking too, all he has done is put his own reputation on the line. At no stage did he infer that he was making the decisions. But new Blood will be bought in. I don’t think we can ask for more in October 

I actually think it is nice to hear from the president even if I don't agree with him. I don't like silent president types. As you say what he has done is put himself in a similar position to Goodwin. But perhaps he is using the Whitlam approach. Crash through or crash.

Edited by old dee
14 minutes ago, old dee said:

I actually think it is nice to hear from the president even if I don't agree with him. I don't like silent president types. As you say what he has done is put himself in a similar position to Goodwin. But perhaps he is using the Whitlam approach. Crash through or crash.

He is definitely siding with Goodwin, i don’t mind that at all. The Club must do better onfield next year. I know it is said each Summer, but for 2021 it is set in stone. 
Same goes for the Training Base. It must become a reality (i think it will) but there is no alternative, we need results next year, and i think Glen knows it. 

i agree. We need a Vocal President now, but just talking won’t cut it. 
Year 1 of the 4 year plan has passed

• Like 2
20 hours ago, Kiran said:

Hi everyone,

As you might have heard on Fox Sports, we interviewed Glen Bartlett for this week's episode of the Deeluded podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/deeluded-the-melbourne-demons-podcast/id1219118375

We both were very cynical about the direction of the club, but came away super impressed with Bartlett. The club's finances have dramatically improved, and he didn't strike us as someone who would tolerate another season of mediocrity (especially if we have a "top 4 list"). But we've all been disappointed before!

Let us know what you think! 

Kiran

Good get guys! Some good questioning, look out Deemonland podcast crew!

He speaks well and to be fair the message for members looks positive, besides the lack of winning a flag. He’s crystal clear, and assume the Footy Dept is the same in getting to the summit.

I found it interesting he mentioned “standards” quite a lot when responding to a question about Goodwin. Do you think the coaching staff let standard slip this season?

• Like 1
5 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

If - as the quote implies - his judgment on the list is from speaking to outsiders that concerns me. Especially if it’s President to President level and he’s talking to others who see Gawn, Oliver, Petracca and don’t really know football. 

Pert’s time at Collingwood started successfully but the longer it went the worst the Pies footy department became.

Bucks was appointed too early. They burnt through a number of administrators including losing Balmey. They took Derek Hine away from recruiting in to a list management role he wasn’t good at. They stuffed their salary cap recruiting a number of big name flops - Wells, Greenwood, Mayne.

I have little confidence he knows more about footy than the people he’s reviewing. If we wanted it done properly we should’ve got Dunstall in for an independent review. 

Did you listen to the interview on the podcast?

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Cards13 said:

Did you listen to the interview on the podcast?

Yes. There was one sneaky little mention of some independent advice in the review. But largely they have a strategic plan for the list build around character and 'strategic' list decisions. Which includes having positional back ups.

All sounds wonderful but who knows what the strategy is? The club produced an overall strategic plan and it wasn't worth the paper it was written on.

Surely Mahoney and Goodwin set the football strategy. So any comments on the strength of the list has to come from them. And it can't be just based on numbers lining up on paper. 

Otherwise I love Glen's passion and I think he's the right man for the job. Very glad he owned his comments after the Port loss. The progress on the home base sounds promising. There's a lot to like in many aspects. I only question the quality of the advice he's getting on the direction of the list and where it's coming from. 

• Like 1

I like the high expectations he’s driving, it puts pressure on Goody and really that was already there as it has been widely said it’s finals or bust next year. Our current list I don’t rate as top 4, I think it’s potentially top 6 and I think we underperformed. 

But there are things we’re lacking, part of it is player type, part is attitude, and another part is a game plan that doesn’t seem to work. 

2021 is a big year for the club (stating the bleeding obvious). 

16 hours ago, A F said:

Yeah, Buckernara has no idea. He came out last year with some nonsense too. The year before that he was championing our list and called Viney an A grader. The guy is a fraud and should stick to analysing Frankston's list.

Too many at Melbourne overrate this list. And we're great at drinking our own bathwater.

I actually think our list is OK but not great. A good enough list to play finals regularly.

Those like you that shoot down external opinion with base ad hominen attacks have to explain why - if we have such a great list - we have only made finals once in 13 years?

Oh and stick up for Goodwin at the same time.

You can't have it both ways.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, jnrmac said:

Too many at Melbourne overrate this list. And we're great at drinking our own bathwater.

I actually think our list is OK but not great. A good enough list to play finals regularly.

Those like you that shoot down external opinion with base ad hominen attacks have to explain why - if we have such a great list - we have only made finals once in 13 years?

Thats right Junior!

Its either one or the other

Good list bad coach or poor list good coach

Ohh dont tell me Average list average coach Either way we are going nowhere  near finals at the moment

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

I'll take the industry sentiment over a negative Demonland poster and some washed up fella that couldn't get a job after Hawthorn, so now works at Frankston.

But you can take him on his word, I won't be. 

I can't see how we can be a top 4 team (and therefore a premiership threat) when we don't even have one forward who can be relied upon to play his position in a proper & disciplined fashion week to week

Logic says that we're a team that might make the 8 based on being able to beat most of the other teams that aren't in contention (North,  Crows,  Bombers etc)

And apart from a few fleeting moments we haven't had a functioning forward line since the Daniher days

At a guess I reckon that most of the players who were dropped for poor form this season came out of the forward line

The other real factor is that it's harder than it ever was to be a good forward these days because of all the flooding & zones. 

We've got a long way to go and our first priority in the next 2 or 3 off seasons is to build a proper forward line. 

Big bodied and hard at it midfielders who can win their own ball may well be the forwards of the future

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Macca said:

I can't see how we can be a top 4 team (and therefore a premiership threat) when we don't even have one forward who can be relied upon to play his position in a proper & disciplined fashion week to week

Logic says that we're a team that might make the 8 based on being able to beat most of the other teams that aren't in contention (North,  Crows,  Bombers etc)

And apart from a few fleeting moments we haven't had a functioning forward line since the Daniher days

At a guess I reckon that most of the players who were dropped for poor form this season came out of the forward line

The other real factor is that it's harder than it ever was to be a good forward these days because of all the flooding & zones. 

We've got a long way to go and our first priority in the next 2 or 3 off seasons is to build a proper forward line. 

Big bodied and hard at it midfielders who can win their own ball may well be the forwards of the future

I have been saying that about our forward for the last 12 months Macca. 

1 hour ago, old dee said:

I have been saying that about our forward for the last 12 months Macca. 

The forward line and the functionality of it remains a major issue old dee

Ben Brown would help but not in the long term.  Jackson needs time as does Pickett.  All the others go missing or can't kick straight.  As for defensive pressure in the forward line - D-

In the meantime we could revisit Petracca playing a role much like Dustin Martin plays.  The team needs his skills up forward.

Viney as a defensive forward has real merit - see ball,  get ball,  kick it through the big sticks.

Harmes,  Brayshaw & Oliver as predominant midfielders.  Petracca & Viney with the occasional spells on the ball to get them into the game

We have to do something as even the teams below us know how to restrict our scoring

We scored 4 goals against Freo & 6 goals against the Swans.  Damning numbers when the season was on the line

For the last 2 years our midfielders haven't had anyone to kick it to ... that has to change if we're going to challenge

until we regularly beat the top teams, we aint even close.. no chance of us doing a dogs or tigers. see how we go with the trade period top ups in a few weeks.. that could push us up into calculations, but at present, nup.

With soft cap reductions, I don't think we have the football department clout to attract the players we need, so need to rely on improvement within.

Who is coming because of Goodwin and Mahoney?  Cant think of any player who has had material improvement over the last 3 years other than Petracca, with credit going to Burgess & Pendlebury.

With medical team reductions, we will need to rely on naturopathy to get Brett Brown, Petty and others match fit and can't afford players who are suspect to breakdown.

On 10/27/2020 at 8:42 AM, Kent said:

Thats right Junior!

Its either one or the other

Good list bad coach or poor list good coach

Ohh dont tell me Average list average coach Either way we are going nowhere  near finals at the moment

Why can’t it be both average? Performances suggest it is just that.

If the President thinks we are a top 4 list then I really worry about his Footy IQ. 

Luckily he is not running the footy department but then again he greenlit Goody's extension and is backing him.

Failure in 2021 will be devastating to the club in a variety of ways. We'll lose players and you can forget about being a destination club. From a business perspective sponsorship in a difficult climate will be hard to attract. 

On 10/27/2020 at 7:58 PM, fredblackham said:

With soft cap reductions, I don't think we have the football department clout to attract the players we need, so need to rely on improvement within.

Who is coming because of Goodwin and Mahoney?  Cant think of any player who has had material improvement over the last 3 years other than Petracca, with credit going to Burgess & Pendlebury.

With medical team reductions, we will need to rely on naturopathy to get Brett Brown, Petty and others match fit and can't afford players who are suspect to breakdown.

Out of curiosity what role did Pendlebury play in Petracca's breakout?

5 hours ago, old dee said:

Why can’t it be both average? Performances suggest it is just that.

Could be as you suggest OLD but means we are going nowhere