Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Adam Treloar

Elegt

13 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

Do we really have the cap room though?  It sounds like we're all in for Ben Brown and Isaac Smith and, even if we offload Tom McDonald and Preuss, I don't think it's going to add much to what we can pay players if we get both of those guys in.

If we could actually do it and take on his contract without hamstringing ourselves in signing up other players, then I'd go for it, especially if they are happy to let him go for a second round pick or something along those lines.

Sounded more of a throwaway comment from Mitch Cleary unless he knows something we dont. All the commentary has been around the fact that its going to be hard for us to get Ben Brown in without Tmac out. I dont think there'd be an immediate salary squeeze, however with Oliver, Trac coming out of contract in the next few years you'd hate to have a 28-29 year old Treloar being paid 900k a year and the reason we let one of those 2 go. Its just a massive no unless the club has a good list management strategy around the decision.

• Love 1

15 minutes ago, AaronDaveyChipsAndGravey said:

Its just a massive no unless the club has a good list management strategy around the decision.

And that's the crux of it for me.

If getting Treloar in means that it makes it harder to keep someone like Petracca or Oliver, then I think you say 'thanks but no thanks' and move on.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Wiseblood said:

Do we really have the cap room though?  It sounds like we're all in for Ben Brown and Isaac Smith and, even if we offload Tom McDonald and Preuss, I don't think it's going to add much to what we can pay players if we get both of those guys in.

If we could actually do it and take on his contract without hamstringing ourselves in signing up other players, then I'd go for it, especially if they are happy to let him go for a second round pick or something along those lines.

Don’t worry about the pick, it will be pick 90 if they offload most of his salary. Can’t have it both ways.

Again like some other players, there are other issues. These and cap room all need to be evaluated. 

Personally I would only look at my early suggestion for him,  worse than pick 50 and Pies to pay $400-500 k of his salary for every one of the five years left on his contract. If not, we don’t consider it. Even at $400k for 5 years and with his issues, it could be a problem.

Actually, on reflection it is probably all too hard, pass.

PS. I can see him being traded at the last minute, on a heavily favourable deal to the buyer, or staying at the Pies. 

Edited by Redleg
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wiseblood said:

I think if we moved on someone like Brayshaw we would, which we would have to move on one of our mids to fit him into our midfield anyway. I'm gonna guess Brayshaw would be on about 500-600k and it's reported treloar is on about 800-900k, however if we got Collingwood to pay 100-200k of that, it would only be about a 100-200k difference for a significantly better player. That would still leave us with significant cap space for Clarry next year and then you add in Tmac (700-800k) and Preuss (400k) likely departing I think our salary cap will be absolutely fine.

Can someone who knows the rules better than me help confirm how the salary cap works in a situation like this?

If Collingwood trades Treloar to another club and pays $200,000 per year of the $900,000 per year he is owed (I'm making these numbers up), does the $200,000 count towards Collingwood's salary cap? And does the team that acquires him take a $900,000 or $700,000 hit to its salary cap?

33 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

Can someone who knows the rules better than me help confirm how the salary cap works in a situation like this?

If Collingwood trades Treloar to another club and pays $200,000 per year of the $900,000 per year he is owed (I'm making these numbers up), does the $200,000 count towards Collingwood's salary cap? And does the team that acquires him take a $900,000 or $700,000 hit to its salary cap?

Hi Titus, my understanding is that the former club payments are within their salary cap. In the situation you describe above, Collingwood would have $200k less in their salary cap for their actual playing list. This is not unlike Melbourne reaching an agreement with Kolodjashnij to pay out his contract, but with the added negative of taking up a spot on the roster...if another club took a flier on him we would be paying the gap in what the existing club paid and his contract. 

Similar situation happened when the Dees paid 15% of the Jack Watts contract as part of the deal to get pick 31 back from Port Adelaide. https://nz.news.yahoo.com/dees-defend-paying-watts-play-072601422.html

Edited by BigMacjnr

36 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

If he is on 900K. 

200K counts towards Collingwood salary cap.

Whoever takes him will count for 700K in there salary cap. Not 900K.

Edited by Dee tention

Adam Treloar is the most overrated midfielder in the AFL. Runs around like a headless chook and can't kick to save himself! We don't need annymore mids who are part time butchers by trade!

• Facepalm 1

Notwithstanding the above ^^ assessment, I'd love to get him in a Dees jumper.

The ability to rack up possessions is underrated and this guy does it in spades.  He's also got plenty of toe.  Yes, his kicking has gone off from his earlier years, but he does a lot right, which is why he's nearly always top 5 in the B&F.  And until this year he was a goal-kicking mid.  He usually kicks 12-13 per year.

Obviously if we can't afford him we can't afford him.  And I'm not suggesting we jeopardize recontracting the likes of Oliver, but I reckon he'd be a good fit in our midfield with his outside ability and pace.

I know plenty won't agree.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Hannibal Inc. said:

The ability to rack up possessions is underrated and this guy does it in spades.  He's also got plenty of toe.  Yes, his kicking has gone off from his earlier years, but he does a lot right, which is why he's nearly always top 5 in the B&F.  And until this year he was a goal-kicking mid.  He usually kicks 12-13 per year.

Obviously if we can't afford him we can't afford him.  And I'm not suggesting we jeopardize recontracting the likes of Oliver, but I reckon he'd be a good fit in our midfield with his outside ability and pace.

No I agree with everything you've said. I'm in the same boat. I think him coming into our midfield mix just adds a whole new dynamic into that group. His break away speed and ability to hit the scoreboards is something our midfield lacks bar Petracca. 

There's certainly been some noise that maybe why we cooled on Smith this week was potentially we have turned our focus on someone else in terms of salary? Could this be Treloar? I sure hope so.

Edited by dazzledavey36
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

No I agree with everything you've said. I'm in the same boat. I think him coming into our midfield mix just adds a whole new dynamic into that mix. His break away speed and ability to hit the scoreboards is something pur midfield lacks bar Petracca. 

There's certainly been some noise that maybe why we cooled on Smith this week was potentially we have turned our focus on someone else in terms of salary? Could this be Treloar? I sure hope so.

I think, as others have said they only way it works is if we move Brayshaw on. I'm not advocating it, but just mussing how this could all work. We trade Brayshaw and one of our 3rds this year to Freo for their 1st this year (pick 10) and 2nd next year. We then trade TMac, pick 23 (2020) our 2 2nds (Freo's and ours) to Collingwood for Treloar, Phillips and their 1st round pick next year. Collingwood have no need for their 1st round pick next year as they have another Dacios coming through who could be in the first 1-3 selections, but the 2 future 2nds could help them pay for this. Collingwood would then have to pay $200k of Treloar's contract.

So for MFC - In: Treloar, Phillips and pick 10 (2020) Out: Brayshaw, TMac, pick 23 & 47 (2020) and future 2nd

Freo: In: Brayshaw and pick 47 and Col (2021) 1st Out: Pick 10 and future 2nd

Col: In: TMac,  pick 23 (2020) and 2 future 2nds Out: Treloar, Phillips and 2021 1st.

Not saying I want this, just thinking out loud. 

Edited by Red and Blue realist

Besides the fact this could be a possibility trade wise...his salary will be astronomical come the next 2 years. We'll end up like Collingwood with Trac and Oliver commanding roughly the same amount as each other all the next year or so. Even if we managed to offload Brayshaw I still think this would be a poor move. Why would we add another midfielder who cant kick and has shown last 2-3 years that he isnt durable? I'd rather we turn our attention to a couple needs basis role players like Tom Phillips then sink ridiculous amounts of money into an injury prone midfielder at the expense of a promising and solid one like Brayshaw.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hannibal Inc. said:

Without a doubt if we could fit him into the cap without putting at risk contract extensions for Oliver, Trac etc, then I doubt anyone here would be unhappy to add Treloar to the side. He is definitely a very capable player. 

But if it's a choice between spending the cap money on Treloar or Brown, I'd rather Brown, simply because he fills a far more urgent need. 

• Like 3

Reports that Buckley told Treloar last week that senior players didn't want him in the team.  Brutal. 

But if true I wouldn't be rushing in to recruiting him.  Especially when adding the pressure of his family being i/state, scars from being turfed out from the club he loves.   Not to mention poor kicking skills and hamstring history.

Matt Rendell's description of him was that he takes more care in getting the ball than disposing of it.  That says a selfish player to me.   We need a team oriented midfield going fwd. 

I will be disappointed if we get him.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero

12 minutes ago, Engorged Onion said:

mmm, cat amongst the pigeon's.

almost sounds like we pulled away from Smith, and Phillips for something else.

I would go and at least have a chat to him and see where him and his hammies are at

I said this in another thread but he is what we need in the middle and his kicking can always be improved 

would welcome us going after him

although the priority is sorting out the other winger and I see why we might not go so hard for him 

2 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Reports that Buckley told Treloar last week that senior players didn't want him in the team.  Brutal. 

But if true I wouldn't be rushing in to recruiting him.  Especially when adding the pressure of his family being i/state, scars from being turfed out from the club he loves.   Not to mention poor kicking skills.

Matt Rendell's description of him was that he takes more care in getting the ball than disposing of it.  That says a selfish player to me. 

We need a team oriented midfield going fwd.  I will be disappointed if we get him.

how could you be disappointed if we get him? 

You wouldn't like to see Oliver, Tracc and Treloar in the middle? 

Or are you simply referring to paying overs for him? 

10 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

But if true I wouldn't be rushing in to recruiting him.  Especially when adding the pressure of his family being i/state, scars from being turfed out from the club he loves.   Not to mention poor kicking skills and hamstring history.

Matt Rendell's description of him was that he takes more care in getting the ball than disposing of it.  That says a selfish player to me.   We need a team oriented midfield going fwd. 

I will be disappointed if we get him.

Does sound like buyer beware.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MF-C said:

how could you be disappointed if we get him? 

You wouldn't like to see Oliver, Tracc and Treloar in the middle? 

Or are you simply referring to paying overs for him?

Not referring to price or trade.

It seems to me he has a host of issues (that I noted) on and off the field.  Sometimes it is worth being circumspect with shiny new things.  This looks one of those times.

Caveat Emptor

1 minute ago, Moonshadow said:

Senior players want him out?

Sidebottom, DeGoey?

Not sure I'd listen to senior Filth players opinions

This.

It sounds like maybe Treloar has rubbed up some players the wrong way because he was the one to tell them to pull their heads in.

If true then that's not on Treloar at all.

• Like 3