Posting Unsubstantiated Rumours on this Website is Strictly Forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Neville Jetta

Lord Nev

1 hour ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Wouldn't be upset if he left. Hopefully Lockhart can take the next step and play all games and Rivers is a quaility small defender.

In so many games he played this year he went off injured, came back on, went off injured again and was highly disruptive to our rotations. 

Played like a veteran near the end.

I would be...

• Like 1

Love love love Nev, but he has slowed considerably and there’s no way Goodie can guarantee him games next year.

In that case I think he has to get a two year deal with the Pies for his family’s sake and to extend his career.

• Sad 1

Please no. Not Collingwood. Those black and white stripes will look terrible on him. I can’t imagine seeing Nev lining up against for queens birthday. It’s just not right. I understand the man has to put food on the table but surely there are other options out there for him.

The player mentor role has been mentioned. I think that’s a great idea. If it came down to a choice between him and Jones for a leadership/mentoring/coaching role I’d pick Nev (and I’ve nothing against Jones). Plus I reckon you can get another year out of him as defensive depth.

Hopefully this is all just trade scuttlebutt. I’d hate seeing Nev in a Collingwood Guernsey.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Love the man and has been an amazing serviceman of our club, but it is clear his time is coming to an end so if it sures up his career than I would shake the man's hand and say all the best. 

Also frees up a rumoured $500k for next year which would be handy!

If he's offered a 2 yr deal or better I'd be surprised if he doesn't take. 

He's been slowing down for 2 years now and I highly doubt he will get many games for us next year. 

He's been a fave of mine for a long time now and I'd be sad to see him go but nobody could begrudge him taking it if it's offered. 

My only concern will be the impact it has on Kosi.

• Like 1

People here saying Nev is cooked need to ask themselves why Nathan Buckley is contacting him personally to go across to the Pies.

I reckon he still must have plenty to offer. We need to be smart about this.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, DeeZee said:

Love love love Nev, but he has slowed considerably and there’s no way Goodie can guarantee him games next year.

In that case I think he has to get a two year deal with the Pies for his family’s sake and to extend his career.

I think the recent moves that Hawthron have made (such as Hodge, Mitchell, Lewis, Birchall, et al), should be seen as a viable option without damaging the reputation of either the player, or his original team.  It's why I'm hoping like hell that Nathan Jones toured the facilities at Metricon while he was in "hub life".  He could get a 2 year deal up there, make the 300 club, contribute in a young team - all of the things he won't or shouldn't be doing if he stays.

As many have suggested, if another team offers Nev a 2 year deal, and there's a strong indication that we won't be anywhere near that, then I'm sure we would wish him all the very best.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, ProperDee said:

People here saying Nev is cooked need to ask themselves why Nathan Buckley is contacting him personally to go across to the Pies.

I reckon he still must have plenty to offer. We need to be smart about this.

Might just looking for a cheap experienced player - the Pies will lose a few older guys this year. And if he doesn’t work out they can retire him and pay him outside any cap to work in their community department. 

Could have little to do with on field stuff and all about stealing a good person. 

• Like 3

I love Nev.  He has gotten everything out of himself as a player and bleeds red and blue.  I'd be heartbroken to see him running around in a C'wood jumper.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Sad 1

I'd be in the 'sad / whatever's best for Nev / concern for effect on remaining players' camp.

Over on their board, I expected to find universal "What thu?!" but they seem not totally against it, though pretty luke warm! Themes seem to be his fit for an all-or-nothing go at 2021, and like-for-like replacement. Also mention of playing forward.

And getting a good person (?DeeSpencer) in an area where they have been battling to prove they're alright?...

1 hour ago, poita said:

Neville's been on our list 12 years. He has played more than 16 games in a year 3 times, and more than 9 games in a year 6 times, for an average of 12 games a year. Realistically we would be lucky to get half a dozen games out of him next year.

He absolutely squeezed everything out of his ability in 2016 - 2018 when he was close to the best small defender in the competition, but that was a long time ago now. He is slow, lacking in confidence, and his teammates don't trust him with the ball.

Neville is a great person and a great leader, but the only way he should be at the club next year is in an off field role. If Collingwood want to give him a multiple year deal, good luck to him and them.

This club needs to collectively put on its big boy pants and start making some tough decisions around players who won't contribute next year (see also Kolodjashnij and Nietschke).

So well said.. Thankyou -  I think you summed Nev Jetta up for all of us...

Realistically Nev needs to transition into a coaching role over the next 2 years. Body looks basically shot. Playing coach in The 2s with the occasional call up as needed should be his role with a view to full time coaching/player welfare after.

love for that to be with us.

Perhaps he also needs to see inside another club (ie like the hawks shipping off hodge/Lewis and Sammy to get that precoaching experience outside of glenferrie oval) to make the most of his playing career 

I love Nev and a part of me wants him to be a one club player that goes on to fill mentoring/coaching roles at the Dees, but he's cooked and if we can get something for him that contributes to another move we're trying to make, that'd be a great outcome.

Really liked Jetta as a player. I do find this whole collingwood situation to be almost unbelievable. They have a good defence and Jetta is 31 years old and yes he is past it. Doesn't make sense.

If Jetts was injured or not 100% this year, I would keep him.

very surpirsed the pies would offer 2 years. he is so important to the culture and leadership of the club, I would hate to lose him

• Like 2

As do most, I love Neville and the thought of him playing for any other club is a bit off-putting.

But he's no longer in our best 22 and given he'll be 31 before Round 1 next year, it's hard to justify giving him anything more than one year. If Collingwood offers him two or more years, and he's looking for that extra job security, how can we blame him?

I'd love it if he chose to stay with us in an off field role as I think he's one of the very few leaders we've had at this club since 2006, but I don't think we should be offering him any more than one year in a playing role no matter what Collingwood or any other club say/do.

I love Nevs guts, but he has more than earned the right to get the best deal for himself and his family at the end of a great career.

Will it be sad to see him go?... Of course.

Will he still love the club?... Yeah i am sure he will

Will the whole Club wish him the best if he does leave?... Im absolutely certain they will.

Go for it Nev. There will always be a place for you at MFC when your playing career is over.

• Like 3

Didn't someone mention in another thread that Nev was lined up for an off-field role when his playing days were over.  I can't recall who it was but he made mention that Nev was so much loved by the whole playing group and if he was 'retired' or contract 'paid out' it would be culturally very damaging to the players.

If that report was correct what does it say if he goes to Collingwood in a similar role we propose or a Burgoyne (Hawks) type set-up. 

If we had plans to transition him to an off-field role when OOC in a year we can do it now.  We did it with Garland and we did it more recently with Guy Walker.  Or at least formalise an agreement to do it at end of next year.

Nev has so much to offer, so much life, football and community experience we can't let that go to another club to leverage.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 5