Jump to content

  • Podcast:     

  • Podcast:     

James Frawley Retires... And Starts Playing Again



Recommended Posts

I find this notion some people have that AFL players are some kind of property or in a state of vassalage to the emotions of the collective 'punters' really unpleasant.

It smells of the kind of pressure people put on their spouses to never leave or complain, or on their children to be obedient to the point of choosing the career their parents approve of. 

Just really unwholesome.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Meh. Jumped ship to chase success in our lowest point. Good riddance 

Thanks for nothing Chip

He got the cheap Flag he wanted. I remember the day he "gave up" whilst playing under Roosy..


13 hours ago, Little Goffy said:

I find this notion some people have that AFL players are some kind of property or in a state of vassalage to the emotions of the collective 'punters' really unpleasant.

It smells of the kind of pressure people put on their spouses to never leave or complain, or on their children to be obedient to the point of choosing the career their parents approve of. 

Just really unwholesome.

Under Contract they are the property of the Club.. That's a fact... 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 11/27/2020 at 9:49 PM, demonstone said:

You must really dislike May, Lever, Hibberd and Langdon, then.  It works both ways, you realise.

Agree but in this instance I am talking about a guy who "retired" and then signs with St Kilda. Read what he said on the St Kilda Web site to their members.. He is two faced and its all about the money not the BS he said to their members.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Little Goffy said:

I find this notion some people have that AFL players are some kind of property or in a state of vassalage to the emotions of the collective 'punters' really unpleasant.

It smells of the kind of pressure people put on their spouses to never leave or complain, or on their children to be obedient to the point of choosing the career their parents approve of. 

Just really unwholesome.

Facts are they are the property of the footy Club when under contract. That is a given.. 

Edited by Ohio USA - David
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Little Goffy said:

I find this notion some people have that AFL players are some kind of property or in a state of vassalage to the emotions of the collective 'punters' really unpleasant.

It smells of the kind of pressure people put on their spouses to never leave or complain, or on their children to be obedient to the point of choosing the career their parents approve of. 

Just really unwholesome.

AFL is a dichotomy. On the one hand, for supporters, it's all about loyalty. It is impossible for a true supporter of any club to switch alliegances. On the other hand, for the clubs themselves and their players, it's a business. And that's OK. Supporters just have to appreciate that "club loyalty" is the domain of the supporters, not those who work in the industry. As supporters, all we should expect is that when the player is playing for us, he (or she in the AFLW) is loyal and gives his/her all. 

Edited by La Dee-vina Comedia
  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Half forward flank said:

frankly I think you are taking the pi.. Football Clubs do not give out contracts for the life of a players career. Players and Club typically commit for three years. That is the extent of each parties loyalty to each other. I think you are confused with amateur, social footy or underage stuff played with your mates. AFL mateship is mostly BS. 

Read what I wrote please. I never said that players are committed for life at a Club. In fact they are only committed to the Club 100% while under Contract and Contracts do not typically run for three years as you say. Some and many are year by year and some are even longer @ four or five years.

Facts matter 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ohio USA - David said:

Read what I wrote please. I never said that players are committed for life at a Club. In fact they are only committed to the Club 100% while under Contract and Contracts do not typically run for three years as you say. Some and many are year by year and some are even longer @ four or five years.

Facts matter 

lets assume it is four or even five years for a contract, regarless of the fact that is not AFL average. Do you agree a player is not the property of the Club when the contract finishes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/29/2020 at 8:14 AM, Ohio USA - David said:

Frawley on the other hand left Melbourne at the end of his contract and chose to retire from Hawthorn

 

2 hours ago, Ohio USA - David said:

I never said that players are committed for life at a Club. In fact they are only committed to the Club 100% while under Contract

The other day you were banging on about "loyalty to the club", yet here you are saying that a player is only committed to a club 100% while they are under contract.  As Frawley was not, as you stated, under contract at Melbourne, and had retired from Hawthorn (ergo, not under contract), he is free to do whatever he pleases without any consideration of club loyalty. 

I doubt very much that Frawley approached St Kilda, offering his services.  It is far more likely that St Kilda offered him a contract based on the fact that he was a defender who still, in their opinion, had something to offer... plus they probably saw some good marketing value in the Frawley connection to the club.  Frawley would have given it his consideration before accepting and was probably encouraged to say the things he did to St Kilda supporters, again, as a marketing exercise (after all, if contracted, he is the club's property, is he not?).

I certainly hope that you were/are a volunteer worker and that you never changed jobs, as taking a position for money is, in your opinion, BS!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, hardtack said:

 

The other day you were banging on about "loyalty to the club", yet here you are saying that a player is only committed to a club 100% while they are under contract.  As Frawley was not, as you stated, under contract at Melbourne, and had retired from Hawthorn (ergo, not under contract), he is free to do whatever he pleases without any consideration of club loyalty. 

I doubt very much that Frawley approached St Kilda, offering his services.  It is far more likely that St Kilda offered him a contract based on the fact that he was a defender who still, in their opinion, had something to offer... plus they probably saw some good marketing value in the Frawley connection to the club.  Frawley would have given it his consideration before accepting and was probably encouraged to say the things he did to St Kilda supporters, again, as a marketing exercise (after all, if contracted, he is the club's property, is he not?).

I certainly hope that you were/are a volunteer worker and that you never changed jobs, as taking a position for money is, in your opinion, BS!

Are you insane ? Personally your comments above are a rambling piece of nothing and it amazes me that people like you comment in the way you do. My advice is read what I said and do not misrepresent me because I just state facts about a guy who presumably retired. They are my views and I will stick by them. 

  • Facepalm 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ohio USA - David said:

Are you insane ? Personally your comments above are a rambling piece of nothing and it amazes me that people like you comment in the way you do. My advice is read what I said and do not misrepresent me because I just state facts about a guy who presumably retired. They are my views and I will stick by them. 

Sorry David but it’s been a long time since I’ve seen such wrong-headed comments.

Nothing wrong with fighting your corner but your comments and the position you’ve adopted is frankly ridiculous. Players are property! Getting paid is some sort of immoral crime! Plus getting abusive doesn’t strengthen your argument. And you keep telling us to read what you’ve written. We have and there’s no hidden meaning or ambiguity there. 

My advice is let this lie because your credibility as a poster is taking a real beating on this one. The best Generals know there are times when it is best to retreat.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Better days ahead said:

Sorry David but it’s been a long time since I’ve seen such wrong-headed comments.

Nothing wrong with fighting your corner but your comments and the position you’ve adopted is frankly ridiculous. Players are property! Getting paid is some sort of immoral crime! Plus getting abusive doesn’t strengthen your argument. And you keep telling us to read what you’ve written. We have and there’s no hidden meaning or ambiguity there. 

My advice is let this lie because your credibility as a poster is taking a real beating on this one. The best Generals know there are times when it is best to retreat.

My advice is to appreciate that every one has a right to state what they believe so I suggest you leave it at that and stop trying to lecture people around your line of thinking. 

  • Facepalm 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, whatwhatsaywhat said:

actually, no

they are a contracted employee

Contracted employees are in fact "owned" by the Club ... and so the employee carries out everything included in the Contract for the Employer - The Club... end of conversation.

You are entitled to your opinion but allow me to have mine and stop lecturing me your views...

  • Facepalm 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Ohio USA - David said:

Are you insane ? Personally your comments above are a rambling piece of nothing and it amazes me that people like you comment in the way you do. My advice is read what I said and do not misrepresent me because I just state facts about a guy who presumably retired. They are my views and I will stick by them. 

I read, and even quoted, what you said... other than my throw away line regarding your own employment/income, I’d love you to quote anything I said that actually did misrepresent you.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Ohio USA - David said:

Contracted employees are in fact "owned" by the Club ... and so the employee carries out everything included in the Contract for the Employer - The Club... end of conversation.

You are entitled to your opinion but allow me to have mine and stop lecturing me your views...

who was lecturing?

yr entitled to yr opinion, and the rest of us are allowed to disagree with it

the players are not OWNED...this isn't georgia in the 1700s

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, whatwhatsaywhat said:

who was lecturing?

yr entitled to yr opinion, and the rest of us are allowed to disagree with it

the players are not OWNED...this isn't georgia in the 1700s

Oh grow up. You know what I mean..  To spell it out in baby English... A Contracted player is a player whose 100% loyalty is to the Club ... As his 100% loyalty is to the Club therefore the Club own the terms of the contract for that player for the term of the contract 

  • Facepalm 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

A contract is an agreement between 2(or more) parties - one party does not "own" the other. Once that contract period ends, each party is free to do whatever they please. Frawley has left 2 clubs now after finishing contracts. He has done nothing wrong - nor should he be criticized for making the very same career choices that all of us do. To argue differently is just utterly ridiculous and simply portrays a disgruntled fan who cannot distinguish the difference between career advancement (for the player) and blind team loyalty (from the supporter).

Frawley left the MFC 6 years ago - get over it!

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Neil Crompton said:

A contract is an agreement between 2(or more) parties - one party does not "own" the other. Once that contract period ends, each party is free to do whatever they please. Frawley has left 2 clubs now after finishing contracts. He has done nothing wrong - nor should he be criticized for making the very same career choices that all of us do. To argue differently is just utterly ridiculous and simply portrays a disgruntled fan who cannot distinguish the difference between career advancement (for the player) and blind team loyalty (from the supporter).

Frawley left the MFC 6 years ago - get over it!

Assuming David is a paid up member, perhaps he feels that he also "owns" a share in the players?  I can understand then why he might feel so disgruntled, as the cost of that membership equates to roughly one less cup of coffee per week!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    FROZEN by Whispering Jack

    Melbourne supporters are an unusual lot. Their lived experiences over years of witnessing their team’s humiliation at the hands of the competition’s bullies have left them suspended in a Bizarro World beset by a cognitive distortion know as 'mental filtering'. This is a phenomenon that occurs when people focus exclusively and blindly on long held belief systems. They refuse to accept that conditions have changed so when the evidence is present before their very own eyes, their minds are frozen.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews 4

    CHANGES: 2021 MID SEASON by The Oracle 

    Since the end of the 2020 free agency, trade and draft period, AFL clubs have had two further bites of the cherry to top up their lists — the supplemental selection period (SSP) and the 2021 mid-season rookie draft (MSD). The main idea behind both was to enable the fulfillment of immediate needs as a result of injuries or unexpected retirements but this year, we have seen the added dimension of straight out recruitment for the future rather than for now. As a consequence, a number of ready

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    LION TAMERS by George On The Outer

    In an enthralling game between two top four sides, it was the Demons who tamed the Lions, and propelled themselves into the position of premiership favourite even though the season is barely past the halfway mark. This is because Melbourne keeps on beating those teams around them who might provide a challenge. Not only that, it keeps winning with emphatic displays of resilience and toughness that have not been seen in a Demons side for many, many years. Challenged in the first half of

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    DUELING BANJOS by Whispering Jack

    In the classic Australian poem, A B “Banjo” Paterson sought the answer by letter to a question concerning the whereabouts of a drover named “Clancy”. The response from Clancy’s shearing mate was written with a thumb-nail dipped in tar: “Clancy’s gone to Queensland droving, and we don’t know where he are.” Most of us would have felt a little bit that way earlier in the week wondering about the possible whereabouts of the Melbourne team for this week’s encounter against Brisbane. Were th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    DOGGED DEEFENCE by George on the Outer

    “No-one let the Dogs out” was the Demons response for the (former) top side.  The Melbourne defence, capably lead by Steven May and Jake Lever simply suffocated any hopes that the Western Bulldogs might have had about leading the competition at the mid-way point. Instead, it is the Demons who now sit at the top of the ladder, again a game clear, while their supporters are starting to believe that this side is the real deal.  Pity is that those same supporters couldn’t watch their team demol

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    LOOK AWAY DEMON FANS by The Oracle

    Last week I predicted a comfortable Melbourne victory for its game against Adelaide. “Something in the order of 61 points”, I opined. Well, after the game, I checked the wording of my preview very carefully from all angles and I have now concluded that I have to issue an apology to Demon fans. I got it wrong. I’m not bitter and twisted about my error in failing to predict the coaching errors, defensive mistakes, lack of forward pressure and, of course, the complete failure of those officiat

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    CALM BEFORE THE CALM by KC from Casey

    The Casey Demons overcame a sluggish first half to run over the Sydney Swans in the second to record an emphatic 40 point victory, maintaining their undefeated record and retaining top spot on the VFL ladder. The game originally listed as part of the Round 4 fixture but delayed due to a Covid19 scare in Sydney and the scrappy way in which the teams approached the contest suggested that the players were still in delay mode. This applied in particular to most of the 12 AFL listed Casey player

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    NOTHING TO CROW ABOUT by George On The Outer

    Melbourne’s nine game winning streak  came to an end in Adelaide with a one point loss to the Crows. Losing to a team that had only won three games for the season, having lost five in a row was certainly nothing to crow about.  All around the ground players collectively put in their poorest performance for the year.  The loss of Christian Salem before the match was critical, as his replacement Nev Jetta is a mere shadow the player he once was. The mind is still willing, but the body no

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    CRYING OVER SPILT MILK by The Oracle

    It had to happen sooner or later. Melbourne has been riding high through the season to date and, with the exception of a small bunch of nuff nuffs who are never satisfied with anything, the club has attracted more positive vibes from the community in these nine weeks than it did in the past decade. So it came as no surprise to see some low grade stirring of the sort which only the media could come up with at a time like this. The on line site Zero Hanger came up with an article that opined,

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    CATNIPPED by KC from Casey

    After winning big away from home across the first three rounds of the new look VFL competition, the Casey Demons were forced to dig deep against Geelong VFL at Casey Fields on Saturday. The traditional AFL based teams were evenly matched, fielding ten listed players apiece and this was reflected in the evenness of the game and the final margin which saw the home side leading by a solitary point on the final siren. Casey suffered an early blow when Jake Bowey came off with what ap

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    BLUES IN THE RED by George On The Outer

    While the Demons’ undefeated run continues unabated now at 9-0 their emphatic 26 point victory pushed the Blues to their sixth loss for the season and deeper into the red for the year. While Melbourne opened proceedings with an early goal, the Blues responded with the next two to grab an early lead.  However, as has happened in so many games this year, the Demons fought back to lead by just over a goal come the first break. This narrow lead was part of a streak either side of quarter t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE EYE OF THE STORM by Whispering Jack

    When Melbourne monstered Richmond a few weeks back on the MCG thereby registering their sixth win on the trot, the block of games to follow looked highly appealing. After a stirring victory in difficult conditions over the reigning premier, the games to come were against a quartet of low achievers from 2020. North were winless, the Swans were the early high flyers now falling into a slump, Carlton couldn’t take a trick and the Crows had just lost an unloseable game to the Hawks in Launceston. Ev

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews


×
×
  • Create New...