Jump to content

  • Podcast:     

  • Podcast:     

Farewell Braydon Preuss



Recommended Posts

37 minutes ago, Axis of Bob said:

The difference here from many of the other ruck trades is that Preuss has 2 years of contract remaining. This means that we have full control, unlike say Nankervis or similar. We have leverage here because it's not like we are desperate to get rid of him and he's contracted. We could easily have him on the list for another year and do it next year. We hold the whip hand and it wouldn't surprise me if we got a pretty decent deal for him.

He play 2 games in the ruck this year. One where he was very competitive with Grundy and the other where he smashed English. He's an AFL quality ruck who we have in contract. A team that needs a first ruck would need to tempt us into trading him.

This is the crux of it.  Incumbent on buyers to satisfy us, and that will determine the value. He's potentially of greater value to GWS or Sydney than a late first or 2nd round pick. Sydney in particular have some academy kids rated in the 10-20 range, so probably happy to flip 22 for Preuss & our lower picks. We could probably then do some thing with picks 22& 23 if another deal came up.

GWS on the other hand have a very average draft hand after working to get Green in, whilst ensuring they retained a higher pick (Ash). Their currency in trade for Preuss will likely be a player (don't know if we'd play the futures game with them, but they are probably looking at a ladder drop pretty soon). Sounds like Perryman has resigned, so realistically looking at one of Caldwell, O'Halloran or Hately as players that might fall out this year.  

We lose nothing by keeping him (Preuss hasn't agitated for a move), will only move on if it's a win for us I'd imagine.

Edited by ChaserJ
  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The age debate for Maxy reminds me of this classic Premier League interaction on twitter.       

He has tried it for 7 games since he's come to the club. We are 1 win and 6 losses in those games. When he was the sole ruck we were 2 wins and 1 loss. The year before he played 6 games with Gold

I love trade time. I imagine Mahoney walking in to the Telstra Dome, calling a bunch of the over managers into a room together and announcing: "A bit of a long one but bear with me here ever

Posted Images

Yep it's in the interests of all parties to get a deal done.

Preuss wants to play AFL and we can't guarantee that, whereas GWS has only Matt Flynn and Kieren Biggs now that Jacobs and Mummy have retired or are about to retire in Mummy's case. 

I said on my Gawn to Gone topic that Preuss is a third rounder, but obviously if the other side of the bridge got involved, and I imagine Sydney would, then it's possible he could be a second rounder or a good fringe prospect. Harry Himmelberg would be a huge get and I believe he's out of contract. We'd surely have to offer them a third rounder in return though. But maybe not if the Swans also went hard for him. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Axis of Bob said:

The difference here from many of the other ruck trades is that Preuss has 2 years of contract remaining. This means that we have full control, unlike say Nankervis or similar. We have leverage here because it's not like we are desperate to get rid of him and he's contracted. We could easily have him on the list for another year and do it next year. We hold the whip hand and it wouldn't surprise me if we got a pretty decent deal for him.

He play 2 games in the ruck this year. One where he was very competitive with Grundy and the other where he smashed English. He's an AFL quality ruck who we have in contract. A team that needs a first ruck would need to tempt us into trading him.

Yes, i still think Preuss will develop into an AFL first ruck at a club like GWS or Sydney. He has room to improve and IMO is underrated by us supporters. And he's learnt at MFC under the best there is!

Is he a gun ruck? Probably not, but he has shown ability with us and at Norf.

Is he worth a 2nd rounder? To a club with limited rucks, yes.

Still has 2 years with us. Hope we play hard and get what is good for us.

I'd like us to package up a few picks or player + pick/s and get back into front half of 2020 1st round

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Surely Sydney or GWS have a player we need. Preuss could be traded off with a few picks each way to get the job done. 

Realistically what would be a trade that would suits? 

Would love a Taranto, Cameron and Haynes for Preuss but not going to happen. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ChaserJ said:

This is the crux of it.  Incumbent on buyers to satisfy us, and that will determine the value. He's potentially of greater value to GWS or Sydney than a late first or 2nd round pick. Sydney in particular have some academy kids rated in the 10-20 range, so probably happy to flip 22 for Preuss & our lower picks. We could probably then do some thing with picks 22& 23 if another deal came up.

GWS on the other hand have a very average draft hand after working to get Green in, whilst ensuring they retained a higher pick (Ash). Their currency in trade for Preuss will likely be a player (don't know if we'd play the futures game with them, but they are probably looking at a ladder drop pretty soon). Sounds like Perryman has resigned, so realistically looking at one of Caldwell, O'Halloran or Hately as players that might fall out this year.  

We lose nothing by keeping him (Preuss hasn't agitated for a move), will only move on if it's a win for us I'd imagine.

The deal with Sydney has merit. Pick 22 and 23 is a good hand and could be packaged up for an established player.

Link to post
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Demons3031 said:

FWIW   My preference would be to keep Preuss and use him as first ruck.

Gawn has a lot to offer in both attack and defence - depending on how the game is going. He has saved us with his marking interceptions on many occasions and is so hard for the Opposition to match up on in the forward line ....and he can take on ruck duties in the forward line as Weeds and T Mac do now. I feel we leave ourselves very exposed if Gawn gets injured seriously.

But its not just the insurance  factor - I  feel we need to instill more fear and frustration into Oppositions and make them sweat more.   As  others have suggested, Gawn's great ruck work is often not capitalised on so  it wouldn't necessarily be a great loss in that department ...though we  could always swing him back there during a game if we felt it needed that. 

   I feel we don't really create that fear in Opposition' where they panic - have seen it only rare occasions such as Geelong in the 2018 final.

Gawn as a weapon in defence and attack might make us more unpredictable too and create confusion in Opposition decision making. I think that partly explains why every now and  then I go back and replay those last half goals in that 2018 final! :)

This mas merit too!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/24/2020 at 1:58 PM, DeeSpencer said:

We’ve bloated our salary cap with deals like Tomlinson, so if we can get out of Preuss’ cash and use the pick and cash on a best 22 player I think we should.

Jackson is the number 2. 
 

If Bradtke isn’t the number 3 then we should look through the state leagues and other clubs back ups for a cheap number 3.

You dont know that its just pure speculation. Who knows how much space we have.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Grimes Times said:

You dont know that its just pure speculation. Who knows how much space we have.

I don't know if we have $1 or $1Million spare. It doesn't really matter. Either way we've got a lot of top line expensive players - Gawn, Oliver, Petracca, Lever, May, Langdon, Brayshaw, McDonald and hopefully Viney. We paid up for Tomlinson -free agents are never cheap and it was reported at the time that we paid up to get Preuss.

This years re-signings might not break the bank but next year we have to factor in new contracts for Oliver, Gawn, Salem, Weideman and extensions for the 3 draftees in particular Rivers and Jackson.

Any opportunity to get cash off the books that isn't delivering a strong return is worth exploring.

Link to post
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, stinga said:

If we just want a back up for max, geelong have got a few -some of whom will probably be delisted.  Then we get a good player for Preuss from GWS.  Win/Win

 

Geelong are another club on the hunt for a ruckman (escaped my mind earlier). Will be interesting to see what North do with Goldstein, he's potentially the best ruck that could change clubs.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DeeSpencer said:

I don't know if we have $1 or $1Million spare. It doesn't really matter. Either way we've got a lot of top line expensive players - Gawn, Oliver, Petracca, Lever, May, Langdon, Brayshaw, McDonald and hopefully Viney. We paid up for Tomlinson -free agents are never cheap and it was reported at the time that we paid up to get Preuss.

This years re-signings might not break the bank but next year we have to factor in new contracts for Oliver, Gawn, Salem, Weideman and extensions for the 3 draftees in particular Rivers and Jackson.

Any opportunity to get cash off the books that isn't delivering a strong return is worth exploring.

It's certainly complicated.

That's ten players who between them would receive between $6-7M before you add in the additional players mentioned in your second paragraph.. The present salary cap before the expected reductions is $12.45M.

Under the deal struck with the AFLPA in 2017 the salary cap was to rise each year until it hit $13.5 M in 2022. This will now not happen and any back-ended deals are subject to review.

Most in the AFL thought that post 2022 there would be another 10-20% rise in the salary cap but the golden goose (aka media rights) is unlikely to lay any more eggs of that size.

Whichever way you look at it we are tight against the cap. Offloading TMac and Viney would of course change things dramatically.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Rigatoni Rigoni said:

This may be one of the best examples of fellow supporters overrating our fringe players 😂

I did throw in our third round pick.  Gws it is about salary cap space, getting a need in a ruckman draft picks aren't that important as they always have academy players all they need is points to cover

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, drdrake said:

I did throw in our third round pick.  Gws it is about salary cap space, getting a need in a ruckman draft picks aren't that important as they always have academy players all they need is points to cover

To be honest with you, i'd be surprised if GWS would even take Preuss with the 3rd or 4th round pick, let alone adding HH one of their up and coming forwards to the trade

Edited by Rigatoni Rigoni
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ChaserJ said:

Geelong are another club on the hunt for a ruckman (escaped my mind earlier). Will be interesting to see what North do with Goldstein, he's potentially the best ruck that could change clubs.

Good call mate, although Goldstein is 32 and Preuss is 25. So whoever gets Preuss will get more service out of him than Goldstein. That said, Goldstein is a much better ruckman - though is he finished?

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

For those scoffing at Preuss potential worth need to consider the following. He is in contract. There are a few  clubs in desperate need of a primary ruckman and it looks like a year where they are in short supply. We are paying him fairly for a plan b for if Gawn got a long term injury, LJ may be second ruck preference but not for full games or runs of games. He showed in his 2 full games that he can more than hold his own now with improved endurance. He held his own and we squared the stoppages against the pies and he smashed English. It will come down to how much a club needs him and what they have that we may value highly. 

  • Like 6
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Preuss for Giants pick 39 seems about right. But I agree he is under contract and it would be good to get Swans and Giants to bid against each other. 
I like Preuss with his physical style but with Maxy Gawn and now Jackson’s development, he is surplus and backup only. I think we can trade him to get some value (plus let the man play AFL footy). 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, big_red_fire_engine said:

For those scoffing at Preuss potential worth need to consider the following. He is in contract. There are a few  clubs in desperate need of a primary ruckman and it looks like a year where they are in short supply. We are paying him fairly for a plan b for if Gawn got a long term injury, LJ may be second ruck preference but not for full games or runs of games. He showed in his 2 full games that he can more than hold his own now with improved endurance. He held his own and we squared the stoppages against the pies and he smashed English. It will come down to how much a club needs him and what they have that we may value highly. 

This plus the draft is a crapshoot given no junior football and the academy selections. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

i would not be clearing him just my opinion

Max is just an accident away from knee damage 

we need to play Pruess more and in the absence of a key forward  LJ will spend his time there

If we had a KPF then different matter

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, A F said:

Good call mate, although Goldstein is 32 and Preuss is 25. So whoever gets Preuss will get more service out of him than Goldstein. That said, Goldstein is a much better ruckman - though is he finished?

Looking at Geelong, I think they’re really looking to get with Danger, Selwood & Hawkins. So a short term ruck not only acceptable, but probably preferred. A rebuild is on the horizon, so probably not looking to commit longer term money.

 Goldy was unlucky not to be in extended AA squad this year and I could see 2 (possibly managed) years from him.  This all relies on North making him available.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, big_red_fire_engine said:

For those scoffing at Preuss potential worth need to consider the following. He is in contract. There are a few  clubs in desperate need of a primary ruckman and it looks like a year where they are in short supply. We are paying him fairly for a plan b for if Gawn got a long term injury, LJ may be second ruck preference but not for full games or runs of games. He showed in his 2 full games that he can more than hold his own now with improved endurance. He held his own and we squared the stoppages against the pies and he smashed English. It will come down to how much a club needs him and what they have that we may value highly. 

He showed his potential in 2 games? I have nothing against Preuss, in fact I quite like his big sledge hammer foot booting the football into oblivion for no reason, but this is the overstatement of worth I’m talking about. If I recall correctly he was serviceable vs pies and unless we were watching different games, completely disconnected with our mids during the dogs game and had little to no impact around the ground.

But I guess having a contract makes him good? Or does having a contract give you value in trade? IMO opinion I’d prefer he stayed cause I think you know what you’d get

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Demonland changed the title to Braydon Preuss On the Market
  • Demonland changed the title to Farewell Braydon Preuss

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    MOGGIES MASTERED by George on the Outer

    They say that herding cats is an impossible task but not for the Melbourne Demons who through relentless pressure, scored a commanding 25 point victory in Round 4 over Geelong at the MCG. The team that missed the AFL finals only once in the past dozen years were shown up by the new Demons of 2021 who have recorded their first 4-0 opening to the season in 21 years! Melbourne knew what was coming, and it was Geelong who were shown up for their inability to adapt to the 2021 style of foot

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    UNDER MY SKIN by The Oracle

    The story goes that there’s a certain player from Geelong who has been seen in Moorabool Street crooning the old Sinatra classic, “I’ve got you under my skin.” His name is O’Connor and he’s been tasked to achieve one thing on Sunday by his coach, Chris Scott: to get under the skin of a Demon midfielder on Sunday and thereby tag him out of the big contest at the G. The idea behind the tactic is to not only blunt one of the team’s most destructive weapons but to distract them all from producing th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    MAX IN SPACE

    Demon skipper Max Gawn is one big unit at 208cm and lately he’s been standing even taller. We already know that he’s unstoppable in the air when going for a mark but with three consecutive victories to open the season, you might say that he has his head in the clouds.  And that is literally true thanks to a fan at Demonland.com who recently arranged for our big ruckman to go even further than the clouds but way beyond to the edge of space and into the stratosphere. And this photograph of Ma

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 25

    CAPITAL PUNISHMENT by George on the Outer

    A 34-point win in the nation’s capital has seen the Demons kill the Giants hopes early in the 2021 season. It wasn’t only the scoreboard, but a succession of injuries to major players for GWS that has put paid to their aspirations. The winning result wasn’t just due to the opposition losing players, but also to the relentless pressure from this 2021 Melbourne side that put them in the winners circle. In past years, a 16 point deficit at the first change combined with a rampant Toby Greene w

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    POWER AND THE PASSION by Whispering Jack

    The Demons ran out for their Qualifying Final match against the Fremantle Dockers at Casey Fields as the sounds of Midnight Oils’ “Power and the Passion cascaded over the mainly friendly pro-Melbourne crowd. It was a far cry from the season opener at Carrara in late January where few of their fans were in attendance in high 20’s heat and humidity and silence greeted every score from the slow-starting Demons. They ran away from the lowly Suns, won comfortably in the end and followed that with ano

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    BREAK OUT by Whispering Jack

    Despite the chaotic events occurring in Canberra over the past few weeks, one thing is for certain. This weekend’s game at Manuka Oval in the nation’s capital between the GWS Giants and Melbourne will decide which of Scott Morrison or Leon Cameron is the most under the pump at this point in time.  This time twelve months ago, the Giants were coming off a season in which they had played off in a grand final. They opened up their 2020 campaign with a resounding 32-point victory in round 1 aga

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    MARVELOUS PRESSURE by George on the Outer

    Is this a new form of Melbourne which has suddenly emerged in 2021?  In the past, whenever the pressure was applied, the team would falter early and as a consequence, it would more often than not, be forced to confront its own self-inflicted failure. But perhaps not so this year. The match at Marvel Stadium against the Saints provided an insight into how creating pressure, actually relieves it on the club, players and coach. Right from the start, Melbourne was there to make a stat

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    STUCK IN THE MIDDLE by The Oracle

    Throughout the off season, St Kilda was touted as an improver and a possible challenger for a top four position mainly off the back of another good trade and draft period at the end of last year. Then in Round 1, the undermanned Saints made a shaky start and almost succumbed to the Giants but they managed to come home from a wet and woolly Sydney with the four points intact. For Round 2, they have a couple of handy players returning so they come into the the game at Marvel Stadium choc

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    A SCRAPPY, SLOPPY SUCCESS by George on the Outer

    After what seemed like an eternity without Footy in Melbourne, the Demons and their fans produced a scrappy, sloppy yet successful return to the MCG. Yet is was against an interstate team from the furthest reaches of the country, but the 21K fans who made it through the gates, was way below expectations for numbers.  Sure it can’t have helped with all the difficulty that Ticketek imposed just to get a ticket, and since you just couldn’t walk up, perhaps the number wasn’t that surprising.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    UNFINISHED BUSINESS by Whispering Jack

    The Melbourne Football Club has unfinished business with Fremantle after that unexpected loss in their previous clash at Cazaly’s Stadium in Cairns cost it a place in last year’s finals campaign.   Back then, the tired Demons spluttered listlessly through the humid conditions in tropical far North Queensland playing in and losing two games in the space of four days and against two lowly clubs. The end result was much more than an embarrassment for the club given what was at stake at th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    PRACTICE PUMMELLING by George on the Outer

    Was this a practice for what lay ahead for the Demons in 2021 or was it an outcome to expect because it was used as a true practice game? Those of us on the outside will never know, but a 39 point loss to the Western Bulldogs was a pummelling in anyone’s language. We can draw some consolation from the players that Melbourne put on the field, with Toby Bedford, Jake Bowey, Kade Chandler, James Jordon and Tom Sparrow each getting a guernsey whereas they probably would not normally be in the f

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    A WALK IN THE PAST by Whispering Jack

    On Monday night, the Melbourne Football Club handed out four life memberships. Two of those awards went to men who are long gone. Charles ‘Chubby’ Forrester and James ‘Jas’ Byrne played for the club in the 1870s, even before the Victorian Football Association was formed. The other two are current skipper Max Gawn and swingman Tom McDonald, who almost left the club at the end of the pandemic-affected 2020 season. Some fans might have raised their eyebrows and wondered whether the emphasis on hist

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports


×
×
  • Create New...