Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Oliver Rumours on Footy Classified

dazzledavey36

Just click bait these rumours. Garry loves the sound of his own voice too. Believe it when I see it!

I'm not sure if I've ever uttered a statement as ridiculous as this (and I don't give any weight to these rumours), but if Oliver leaves the club they can factor me into the trade negotiations as well. It would be devastating to both my dwindling care about the MFC and football in general. Choo-choo-choose us Clarry. 

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

I meant the photo in general. Harmes is in QLD still with a group of mates. That photo was taken in Echuca last year.

Yes i know. I have both feeds on my Instagram 

Harmesy is having a huge Birthday ? 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, picket fence said:

Clayton Oliver had a far far better year than Jack Viney. How Viney finished in front of Oliver is fantasyland stuff.

I don't disagree mate, but I guess the thing we don't see is what the coaches ask of them. The Bluey is basically a reflection of how effectively players did what the coaches asked of them.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, SFebes said:

I do feel that the club has drank its own bathwater and as I said at the time, paying Lever $750k would have had players scratching their heads, I didn't think he was worth that (and picks) at the time and I certainly don't now, he has youth on his side though. Combined with May $700k who apart from the last half of this year has been a failure and Tomlinson $500k? It's decisions like this that can unsettle any workplace.

Absolute bull dust. There wouldn’t be a player on the list unhappy with having May after this season. The players know across the industry if you change clubs you have to pay more. Lever and Tomlinson have been disappointing but neither of them were handed mega deals that completely blew up the cap. Harmes, Tom McDonald and Brayshaw have been more disappointing and we paid them too. Oliver either already does or will get paid more than them, he won’t be worried about Tomlinson’s wage.

Coaching, direction of the list and role in the side are surely far bigger factors.

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

I reckon that's carp, dazzle.

Wouldn't the obvious counter argument simply be to reflect on 2018: did Brisbane and St Kilda find all their players wanted out of their respective clubs to join us, given we'd just finished 4th and had "gone past them"? They didn't, they turned their own clubs around.

We are about to go into the 3rd year since the 2018 campaign.  When do you draw the line in reflecting back too far. A lot of personal have changed since and clubs have worked us out. As a club we can't continue to live off the 2018 finals glory. Its done a gone.

Players care about what's in the now and the future.

I do understand the logic of what you're saying @titan_uranus but reflecting back a couple of years ago doesn't fix the issue that we've now gone another year of missing finals. I can bet that doesn't exactly soothe the soul for some of the players that would be getting restless with the lack of success.

Edited by dazzledavey36
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Skuit said:

I'm not sure if I've ever uttered a statement as ridiculous as this (and I don't give any weight to these rumours), but if Oliver leaves the club they can factor me into the trade negotiations as well. It would be devastating to both my dwindling care about the MFC and football in general. Choo-choo-choose us Clarry. 

Entirely agree to the extent that i would never again look at young talent and think they will always be Demons. I have no idea if the rumour is true but human nature tells me the star players look at finals and want to be in them. We are 1 from 4 in Goodwins term and players could be making their own assessments of where that figure may be in two years time. 

Just now, dazzledavey36 said:

We are about to go into the 3rd year since the 2018 campaign.  When do you draw the line in reflecting back too far. A lot of personal 0has changed since and clubs have worked us out. As a club we can't continue to live off the 2018 finals glory. Its done a gone.

Players care about what's in the now and the future.

I do understand the logic of what you're saying @titan_uranus but reflecting back a couple of years ago doesn't fix the issue that we've now gone another year of missing finals. I can bet that doesn't exactly soothe the soul for some of the players that would be getting restless with the lack of success.

It's not about reflecting on the fact that we were good in 2018, because obviously the fact we've gone backwards since then is more relevant.

It's about challenging the ever-present argument on here about clubs "going past us". If our players want to leave the club because other clubs are playing finals and we're not, it's not unfair or unreasonable to reflect on the same situation two years ago when the shoes were on the other feet. We didn't see Brisbane or St Kilda players walk out on their clubs because we had "gone past them", for the same reason we shouldn't see that happen here this year - it's not particularly relevant. I'd absolutely back the club if that was a point they made to any Melbourne player thinking along those lines. St Kilda and Brisbane (and Port) didn't get to where they are this year through their key players bailing on them when they missed finals in recent years.

• Like 1

Oliver’s bad habits - 1m handballs, inability to absorb contact then handball to space, rash playing on in traffic, refusing to drive forward from a stoppage and kick to space - have to be corrected to make him the player he should be.

If the coaches know this and there’s tension with Oliver then good, he’ll be a better player for it.

If Oliver knows it and the coaches can’t help him then maybe we’ll wake up and fix the coaching. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

It's not about reflecting on the fact that we were good in 2018, because obviously the fact we've gone backwards since then is more relevant.

It's about challenging the ever-present argument on here about clubs "going past us". If our players want to leave the club because other clubs are playing finals and we're not, it's not unfair or unreasonable to reflect on the same situation two years ago when the shoes were on the other feet. We didn't see Brisbane or St Kilda players walk out on their clubs because we had "gone past them", for the same reason we shouldn't see that happen here this year - it's not particularly relevant. I'd absolutely back the club if that was a point they made to any Melbourne player thinking along those lines. St Kilda and Brisbane (and Port) didn't get to where they are this year through their key players bailing on them when they missed finals in recent years.

That's only my opinion Titan, I'm not saying that's exactly how they're feeling, but I have no doubt that thought comes into their head over the finals period. I am also sure they would watch St Kilda and Brisbane over the weekend winning, and hopefully get the sense that we are seriously not far off challenging for a serious tilt at sustained success considering we beat St Kilda and Collingwood and were a kick away from beating Brisbane.

I'm hoping it's the latter.

Edited by dazzledavey36
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, titan_uranus said:

St Kilda and Port got there through very astute recruiting, both different styles. Brisbane have had a very good coach in place, good senior players and young talent. I dont think it has dawned on some here just how good and ahead of us facilities and lifestyle are at the Queensland Clubs. Some are also scratching their heads at Carlton. i recommend for any of our supporters to go to princess park when covid is over, see the facilities, the fans at training, grab a coffee in the cafe, buy some Club gear in the shop, check the memorabilia and then have a coffee watching training. it has it all over Goschs and MCG precinct.

13 hours ago, Patches O’houlihan said:

Clarry is not going anywhere, this is just more garbage by Sam Mclure to try and feel relevant. 

Amusing thing is that the more Sam says to feel relevant, the further he steps back in the realm of reality of which, relevance is an essential. As a journalist in sport, he must be encouraged to quote on the occurrences, the post-game reviews because he is way off the mark when it comes to cause and effect. Speculation is no reliable ally when credibility is at stake. All the rest is pillow-talk.

9 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

If Oliver knows it and the coaches can’t help him then maybe we’ll wake up and fix the coaching

Nicely posited. A case of all roads leading to Rome. Coaching abilities.

Edited by Deemania since 56
  • Like 1

I'm in a gloomy mood, much like the weather here in lovely Melbourne.

Reasons: (in no particular order)

1. 15 new Covid cases today

2. Trump appearing to recovered unscathed from Covid

3. Oliver wanting to leave the Dees

4. Having no control over any of these factors.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, DeeSpencer said:

Oliver’s bad habits - 1m handballs, inability to absorb contact then handball to space, rash playing on in traffic, refusing to drive forward from a stoppage and kick to space - have to be corrected to make him the player he should be.

If the coaches know this and there’s tension with Oliver then good, he’ll be a better player for it.

If Oliver knows it and the coaches can’t help him then maybe we’ll wake up and fix the coaching. 

Clarry demonstrated his ability at times this year to rectify some of his short-comings (he is capable across the board). It came on the back of a lot of external criticism, but was obviously addressed internally, i.e. the coaches put it on him (in particular to drive out of contests) and he responded. We all know he still has a ceiling well beyond what he's currently producing, which is already extraordinary in itself for a 23 y/o. Goody described him as the hardest-working player on our list: I would be gobsmacked if there were any tensions between Clarry and coach, as everything else suggests there's been a great working relationship since day one. One of the most underappreciated players in the AFL, but I'm certain our club doesn't feel that way even if they apply especially hard expectations. Right now, absolutely first-picked in my team. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Hard to think that 5th in the BnF on its own, would prompt him to look elsewhere  The impact of 5th is disappointment and he gets a lower $ bonus than finishing higher, which could be enough to concern him.

I would guess at least half a dozen players earn more than he does so a big package elsewhere could be attractive.

There could be any number of other issues:  pace of his development, the blowtorch from the media and no-one at the club stood up for him, other players get lots more than him but contributing less, other players not working as hard as he does on and off the field, relationships with teammate(s) etc.

@Demons11and @Demon3usually have good mail and don't post on a whim.  So if they are saying Oliver is restless I believe them.  I also believe their view that he won't be traded this year and next year is critical to keeping him (as it is to keeping many others).

https://www.afl.com.au/news/64278/star-demon-youngster-clayton-oliver-inks-contract-extension

Clarry's contract extension (the easiest decision of his life), was made as he was the reignimg BnF holder. He had also had 2 seasons (2017and 2108), that (disposals, clearances and tackles wise) were statistically the best seasons from a MFC player EVER.

That contact wasn't low balled.

He is on less than Gawn (captain), and similar to May, Lever and Viney (after FA) , and probably Petracca (who had a break out year, which Oliver had in 2017). 

The AFL rich list had his as our 2nd highest paid player.

38 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

I was being a little facetious.  To be fair to the coaches the votes were very close from 3rd to 5th.

3rd:  Viney, 311

4th:  Langdon, 296

5th:  Oliver, 291

I really think 5th being an issue for Oliver is a furphy

This. Its 1 vote per game when the average votes is about 16. All it tales is 1-2 games where you poll a touch lower and that difference occurs.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KLV said:

1. 15 new Covid cases today. (France reported ~17,000 new cases the other day. While I got trapped by border-closures, Australia isn't a bad place to be right now ).

2. Trump appearing to recovered unscathed from Covid. (He gets to be humiliated in the election instead, which is far better comeuppance in my opinion). 

3. Oliver wanting to leave the Dees. (It's highly unlikely there's any real juice to these rumours, and he's set for a real break-out next year, running the middle in tandem with Trac). 

4. Having no control over any of these factors. (Nihilism and fatalism are freedom)

Hey KLV. I don't want to be an annoying optimist but it rained in Darwin this morning and the frogs are chirping. Life will go on whatever may come. Whisky at lunch while working from home is also fun.  

33 minutes ago, SFebes said:

You forgot ANB and Spargo too.

Sorry SF don't share your misplaced cynicism about Charlie.

Who FWIW has improved This  seasonand I expect Further more and rapid standard in 2021 and beyond.

Charlie is a very clever player with good/great disposal skills  Yes he could get more use of the ball some times but I have faith in him (and the Coaches) That he is in a linear path in form and development. The boy is Nearly  a Man and watch out in future.

Definitely deserves a contract fir 2021 and maybe 2022.

35 minutes ago, KLV said:

1. 15 new Covid cases today

2. Trump appearing to recovered unscathed from Covid

3. Oliver wanting to leave the Dees

4. Having no control over any of these factors.

If it is some consolation many of us feel the same.  Hopefully the weeks ahead are much brighter.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 2

Allegedly Goodwin thinks we're in a position to seriously contend for a flag so there is no way he trades out his best midfielder while in contract. And there is close to nothing I would accept for him either and hopefully the club views him the same. One of the few "untradeables" on our list.

To even get our attention they would need to put up Walsh, a top 3 pick and more. Not happening.

• Like 2