Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Oliver Rumours on Footy Classified

dazzledavey36

28 minutes ago, Yokozuna said:

I didn’t miss the point, and goody wasn’t given an extension on a whim, he was given an extension after our finals appearance and improvement, wasn’t he? At the time I am sure everyone was on board with that!

if you think the players are upset there coach who helped them make a finals series got an extension, you are mad.

the fact we have gone backwards afterwards doesn’t mean the extension at the time was wrong, as the club, and us, assumed we wouldn’t continue to improve.

i was just stating an opinion about oliver. Personally I don’t see him leaving at all, anytime. However, if he did, I would assume it would be in a few years when he is still old enough to demand big bucks and go to a team heading for success.

and I don’t think he will leave as he loves his mates, as I stated in my first comment, and I believe he thinks we have the list potential to get back up to the top (albeit with some improvements this draft and trade oeriod)

Sounds like you are very young and naive if you think players make multi $$$ work decisions based on loving their mates. AFL is a business like any other. Players play for $$$, financial security, personal glory and success.  Playing with your mates is suburban footy stuff. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Pollyanna said:

Arithmetic not your strong point?  Next year would be 1st year of a 5 year contract, that means there would be 4 more years. 1 + 4 = 5 and 27 + 4 = 31.  Try counting it on your fingers.

Ok so 28 by end of 2021

29 by end of 2022

30 by end of 2023

31 by end of 2024

32 by end of 2025

i think my maths is fine here....the main problem is Jack is not worth renewing for 5 years.

The age part is semantics and i was not being precise and threw out his rough age.  Turn on me if you love Viney i guess!  This was not to get pedantic about my lack of arithmetic, more that he does not deserve 5 years with us on what he has shown.  Carry on!

2 minutes ago, Half forward flank said:

Sounds like you are very young and naive if you think players make multi $$$ work decisions based on loving their mates. AFL is a business like any other. Players play for $$$, financial security, personal glory and success.  Playing with your mates is suburban footy stuff. 

Sounds like you have no idea of who I am and how old I am. I am quite happy to be called young!

i am thinking I may have been involved in football a lot more than you think or know, but that’s fine, go ahead and make assumptions of someone from a comment.

i agree players play for money, especially as they have a short career, but if you think mates and friendships aren’t a big part of their decision, maybe you are naive. I don’t know though, as I have no idea who you are.

and given oliver is one of our best players, the $$ hopefully should be enough for him to stay.

and given the $$ being such a driving force, why don’t we have more and more players moving in the AFL for money. We don’t have that many at this stage, as much as you think the AFL is a business. Not like other sports.

• Like 4

Petracca did have concerns about his role at the end of last year, thought he should have been playing more midfield time. turns out he was right and it was addressed. 

This is one area where i'll give Goody credit. he listened to Trac, put him with Oliver during the pre season and told him to build his tank and training standards. Trac responded and now he's won a Bluey, will probably be AA and a better than sneaky chance at the brownlow. 

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, NeveroddoreveN said:

Ok so 28 by end of 2021

29 by end of 2022

30 by end of 2023

31 by end of 2024

32 by end of 2025

i think my maths is fine here....the main problem is Jack is not worth renewing for 5 years.

The age part is semantics and i was not being precise and threw out his rough age.  Turn on me if you love Viney i guess!  This was not to get pedantic about my lack of arithmetic, more that he does not deserve 5 years with us on what he has shown.  Carry on!

You've tripled down on your error now.  He's 26 years and 5 months old now so in 5 years from now at the end of a 5 year contract he will be 31 years and 5 months old as @Dr. Gonzo pointed out.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Pollyanna said:

You've tripled down on your error now.  He's 26 years and 5 months old now so in 5 years from now at the end of a 5 year contract he will be 31 years and 5 months old as @Dr. Gonzo pointed out.

Yawns!!!! So 7 months difference...who really cares you are being super pedantic and obviously love Jack or you would have just agreed with @Dr. Gonzolike you did already rather than carry on a futile argument to other posts.

@Pollyannaan excessively cheerful or optimistic person by definition.  Clearly not when talking about lover boy Jack!! Or people that are not great at arithmetic.  

Don't even know why i am responding to this.  Do you think Jack is worth extending for 5 years regardless of his EXACT age?

24 minutes ago, NeveroddoreveN said:

He is currently 26 and still does not do the basics well.   It is just too long of a contract for a limited onballer.  I could name 2 from nearly every AFL team i would prefer that show more skill and footy acumen.  He is super predictable to opposition, not so much with his teammates. Personally i hope we trade and get an outside mid, we will be far better off.

We won't be trading him as he is a FA.

You could name 2 from every other team but we aren't getting them so it is irrelevant.

He is in our best 22 and losing him will make our team worse. That is the fact of the matter.

• Like 1

I exchanged texts with one of the players this morning. I asked him about Clayton and he said it was crap and he asked me where I'd heard the rumour. (He hasn't tuned into any footy related media since Sunday.) When told it was Sam McLure who started the rumour, he said that Sam loves a headline and not to read anything into it.(He then inserted a Pinocchio emoji which I thought looked exactly like Sam.)

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Jack Viney ... Huge loyalty, big commitment ... But holding up a key position on field where a different style and type of midfielder is required. He's too small for the tough style he uses and that's why opposition teams have worked him out and why he's getting caught in possession so often. I like him but he's not the right guy for that position. Not a bad thing if he left and the club was forced to re-added that midfield role by introducing a different dynamic

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

We won't be trading him as he is a FA.

You could name 2 from every other team but we aren't getting them so it is irrelevant.

He is in our best 22 and losing him will make our team worse. That is the fact of the matter.

As FA we trade him away and get back compensation though right? Late 1st round or early 2nd round?  Trade that on and get an outside midfielder and we would be much better off imo.  

Tmac/Harmes  also were best 22 losing either would also make our team worse?  There is no fact in the matter.  Pure opinion!

5 minutes ago, Van Demons Land said:

Jack Viney ... Huge loyalty, big commitment ... But holding up a key position on field where a different style and type of midfielder is required. He's too small for the tough style he uses and that's why opposition teams have worked him out and why he's getting caught in possession so often. I like him but he's not the right guy for that position. Not a bad thing if he left and the club was forced to re-added that midfield role by introducing a different dynamic

Well said and it reflects on the Club that were have encouraged a rover to do the crash and bash stuff.  He is a rover size and should be playing to that style and spending time forward and snagging a few goals.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Tough Kent said:

I exchanged texts with one of the players this morning. I asked him about Clayton and he said it was crap and he asked me where I'd heard the rumour. (He hasn't tuned into any footy related media since Sunday.) When told it was Sam McLure who started the rumour, he said that Sam loves a headline and not to read anything into it.(He then inserted a Pinocchio emoji which I thought looked exactly like Sam.)

Bloke! Let us disabuse misconceptions about other scuttlebutt! Goss on JV? Tmac? Ins/outs!

2 minutes ago, Superunknown said:

Bloke! Let us disabuse misconceptions about other scuttlebutt! Goss on JV? Tmac? Ins/outs!

I generally let him be with rumours and stuff. But that throw away, unaccountable comment from McLure was eating away at me. I'm just glad there is no substance to it. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, NeveroddoreveN said:

As FA we trade him away and get back compensation though right? Late 1st round or early 2nd round?  Trade that on and get an outside midfielder and we would be much better off imo.  

Tmac/Harmes  also were best 22 losing either would also make our team worse?  There is no fact in the matter.  Pure opinion!

The compensation is dependent on everything else that happens. No guarantee we get a 1st round pick. 

Who is this outside midfielder you would be trading the compo for? Are they available?

Will we bring in any FA's that will offset the Viney compo?

TMac is not best 22. Losing Harmes may make our team worse depending on who replaces him. Viney just finished top 3 in our B&F and has finished top 3 in 5 of his 7 or 8 years (keeping in mind he was out injured for a majority of 2018). Harmes has never finished top 5 as far as I know so not comparing apples with apples.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Van Demons Land said:

Or after the strange but most welcome late season selection pivot to pace and run on outside we encourage Jack to keep winning ball but utilise new speedy hard running actual wingers in Langdon and Baker. 

Harmes was 4th last year and 3rd the year before if I am correct.

so his best football is very good.

I want him to stay and play hf/mid, but that is dependent on getting another HBF such as Saad, so they don’t play him down back.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

42 minutes ago, NeveroddoreveN said:

Yawns!!!! So 7 months difference...who really cares you are being super pedantic and obviously love Jack or you would have just agreed with @Dr. Gonzolike you did already rather than carry on a futile argument to other posts.

@Pollyannaan excessively cheerful or optimistic person by definition.  Clearly not when talking about lover boy Jack!! Or people that are not great at arithmetic.  

Don't even know why i am responding to this.  Do you think Jack is worth extending for 5 years regardless of his EXACT age?

Yes I confess I was wondering to myself why I give a [censored].  I think it must be the irony of poster with a nonsensical maths-flavoured palindrome username not being able to add up.  You could try something truly Dadaesque like DogglenelggoD.

Edited by Pollyanna
  • Haha 3

Sorry but Harmes is one example of a number of Melbourne players who have gone backwards. If a player has talent and ability he should still perform week in and week out even if playing in a different position. 2021 will be the crossroads for him, the make or break year ... I'm not a fan of his, and don't even get me started on Vandenberg

As a team we lack the outside polish. If a Premiership is the only reason to exist then surely one or two or even three of Viney, Harmes and Brayshaw have to be traded. I’d be shopping all of them around and would be shocked if the club wasn’t. If TMac’s body can be got right and you’d think it could he’s a must keep. Add some run and polish, a forward line of Weideman, TMac and Jackson and a couple of quality assistant coaches and we win 4 more games and end up top 4. We’re actually not that far off. In a year when there’s going to be a lot of assistants looking for work surely we can find our next coach. Goodwin has less than a year to get this club where it should be. 

Edited by Roost it far
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Everybody just wants to go home. 
Can you imagine a School Camp travelling in Buses for 11 weeks!!

We missed the Finals. Everybody has had enough 

Yeah pretty much exactly what I said mate.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Van Demons Land said:

Sorry but Harmes is one example of a number of Melbourne players who have gone backwards. If a player has talent and ability he should still perform week in and week out even if playing in a different position. 2021 will be the crossroads for him, the make or break year ... I'm not a fan of his, and don't even get me started on Vandenberg

He went backwards this year but the previous 2 year he improved a significant amount.  All Players have down years throughout their career and he is no different 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

Have been saying for years that this highlights a huge flaw in the AFL's free agency system, while trying to maintain an fair and even competition through the draft.

The high placed teams like Richmond and particularly Geelong have been able to constantly top up with free talent via free agency and able to pay them unders, because of the value players rightly put on sucess.

Yes the club that looses the player gets somewhat compensated via draft picks, but the club that gains the free agent doesn't need to pay anything with respect to draft picks.  In my veiw, they need to be made to give up a draft pick they have which is equivalent of the compensation pick received by the other club.  It would still be free agency, because the club loosing the player can't prevent the trade.  The giving up of equivalent compensation picks also needs to made retrospective to penalise the likes of Hawthorn, Geelong and Richmond for the beinfit of a more even competition going forward.

I've been saying it for years too Rod! An alternative to your solution is for free agents not allowed to be traded to teams having finished in the top 4, or a team that has won the flag in the last 5 years or similar. Players' Association wouldn't have a bar of it though.

3 minutes ago, Demons11 said:

He went backwards this year but the previous 2 year he improved a significant amount.  All Players have down years throughout their career and he is no different 

And this is not a normal year.