• Podcast LIVE Tonight @ 8:30pm     

• Podcast LIVE Tonight @ 8:30pm     

The Zac Merrett Thread

8 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

We are in the queue port-adelaide-eye-bombers-star-merrett

"Melbourne are another club to have shown strong interest in Merrett, who would add run and ball use to a formidable ball-winning midfield".

If we get him we must be planning to trade some reasonable players out to make sal cap space s I doubt the players that are likely to not have contracts renewed this year, will free up anywhere near enough $ after their replacements are recruited.  Not to mention our talent need to be rewarded.  Will be an interesting trade period.

Brayshaw traded? Been rumored for years now and could help free up some cap space required for Merrett. Believe Brayshaw signed a decent sized contract a few years back when he was flying.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For God’s sake, I cannot believe how many Demonlanders are suggesting trading Brayshaw! 🤬 Brayshaw is our ‘culture’!  obviously, many have not watched Gus’s weekly session with Gawn to realise how pop

He is completely different.  Merrett is mainly just outside and has very good skills.  The bloke would compliment our midfield perfectly 

Good player but I'd target Lachie Ash if the rumours are true he wants to move back to Victoria. That dash out of the backline is tantalising...

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

"Melbourne are another club to have shown strong interest in Merrett, who would add run and ball use to a formidable ball-winning midfield".

If we get him we must be planning to trade some reasonable players out to make sal cap space s I doubt the players that are likely to not have contracts renewed this year, will free up anywhere near enough $ after their replacements are recruited.  Not to mention our talent need to be rewarded.  Will be an interesting trade period.

Happy with his performances, so happy if he stays. a club may be interested in a resurgent T-Mac? We'd likely fit some bill but could alleviate some pressure. Then you'd imagine AVB/Jones will bow out which should create a bit more but uncertain what they'd be on. Guess it all comes down to how we fit Salem/Clayton in and if they're willing to sacrifice a bit for the common good. So we need a good season to convince them

4 minutes ago, Lord Travis said:

Brayshaw traded? Been rumored for years now and could help free up some cap space required for Merrett. Believe Brayshaw signed a decent sized contract a few years back when he was flying.

Can’t see Brayshaw wanting to go there.

14 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

We would be looking very attractive to him and any other FA's looking for success.

Almost too good to be true that we would get Merrett.   Our midfield would rival the 3peat Lions teams.

• Like 2

I'd move heaven and earth to get Merrett.

Brayshaw is the obvious candidate to trade but he's playing well at the moment. You never know he might have found his long term position in the team. If he's on the outer come trade period a midfield role might be attractive to him even if it is with Essendon.

We'll have a surplus of tall forwards so reckon TMac might attract interest. The Weid perhaps but if he shows form i'd want him to stay. 

There's a long way to go in the season so who knows will be odd one out come trade period but no question we'll have to sacrifice a reasonable player to trade for Merrett

11 minutes ago, Clint Bizkit said:

Can’t see Brayshaw wanting to go there.

He doesn’t have to. Trade him to Freo or anywhere. Free up cap space and get a pick back to use.

Sign Merrett as a free agent with more cap space available.

• Like 1

Merrett is a good player that would certainly tick the box in ball-use. I would like to know how they fit him in the salary cap though. I think it's more of a plan B if one of Oliver, Brayshaw, Trac or Tmac are taken off our books. 

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Lord Travis said:

Brayshaw traded? Been rumored for years now

Not sure about that.  Lots of posters on here have nominated him as trade bait but I'm not aware of any rumours of that actually happening.  I'd rather keep him and also pick up Merrett as the free agent that he will become at year's end.

• Like 8

Given all the noise about this I expect to read tomorrow that Dodoro won’t accept anything but 7 first rounders and 1000 bags of gold - only to watch Merrett walk for a packet of chips and a Mars Bar.

I believe it’s called being ‘Danihered’.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 3
5 minutes ago, demonstone said:

He's a free agent.  Essendon would get a compensation pick as determined by the AFL.  No trading involved.

They'll match whatever $ is thrown at him forcing a trade wouldn't they?

• Like 3

Ess love trade time drama and would match just about any $ offer and demand a trade (ala Cameron @ Geelong) to extract more than the AFL compensation draft pick and or players.  Dodoro will do it just for the sport.

1 minute ago, adonski said:

That only matters if he is a restricted free agent. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, adonski said:

I guess that's the great unknown at this stage.  They would have that prerogative.

edit:  Clarification sought - is Merrett a RFA or UFA?

Edited by demonstone
clarity
1 minute ago, demonstone said:

I guess that's the great unknown at this stage.  They would have that prerogative.

edit:  Clarification sought - is Merrett a RFA or UFA?

I'm pretty sure he is an RFA as he has been there 8 years and would be in their top 25% earners.  If he isn't in the top 25% he would be an FA - altho that would be very unlikely.  So Ess can match.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

I'm pretty sure he is an RFA as he has been there 8 years and would be in their top 25% earners.  If he isn't in the top 25% he would be an FA - altho that would be very unlikely.  So Ess can match.

Yep - i just read the rules on the AFL website. He would most likely be an RFA. 

On the same basis, that would also mean Oliver is a RFA as well then. That certainly changes my outlook on his contract situation. 

1 minute ago, CYB said:

Yep - i just read the rules on the AFL website. He would most likely be an RFA. 

On the same basis, that would also mean Oliver is a RFA as well then. That certainly changes my outlook on his contract situation. 

Oliver hasn't been with us for 8 years.  He won't be an (R) FA until end of 2023, if he re-signs for two more years. 

If Oliver requests a trade we can ask a very high price but the player holds all the aces and once an OOC player nominates a club we have little choice but to get the best deal we can.

5 minutes ago, Cards13 said:

Just remember the great Josh Mahoney is now at the Dons, he is known for being fair to deal with. 

Except that Dodoro does the wheeling and dealing as GM List Management.  Mahoney is GM Football so I think they are peers.  .

Would be an interesting situation if he did nominate us as an RFA. I know I'll get howled down for this. I realise it's probably a ridiculous statement but Dodoro might have learnt a bit of a lesson from the Daniher fiasco. I don't think Merritt is worth more than Daniher and in the end Dodoro accepted the compo pick for him. He'd probably get pretty much the same compo pick for Merritt or even a higher one as they'll probably finish even lower this year. It would probably be a top 5 pick for him. That's pretty fair. 

Hope and prey T Mac continues to play really well and we manage to offload his $750k that's the required salary cap space right there. Negotiate Merritt into a reasonable salary in return for being in a team heading to a flag. Done. 

• Like 1

Richmond recruited Lynch, who would command a significantly higher salary than Merrett on the open market, without losing any key players on the back of a flag. Ditto Hawthorn and Lake, Geelong and Dangerfield, etc. Free agents change clubs to chase success, not money. It would be nice to be on the other end of this for a change. Get it done.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Bombers would match any offer forcing a trade, they will be wanting 2x mid to early first rounds. The only players with value we might consider trading would be Brayshaw, Wied, Hunt, Harmes who even combined wouldn’t get us enough and you are giving up to much for just one player at that point.

If by some miracle they didn’t match then I’m sure we figure out a away, priority is to resign our guys first if there is anything left them you try Merrett, don’t want to see us in pies shoes in a few years. Only way he gets to dees is if takes less than Oliver, trac, gawn, May.

Edited by Garbo

• Demonland changed the title to The Zac Merrett Thread