Jump to content

  • Podcast:      

  • Podcast:      

The Zac Merrett Thread


dazzledavey36
 Share


Recommended Posts

42 minutes ago, trout said:

What about Weiderman and a pick to Essendon, we bring in Brown to replace Weid? They are going to need a forward to replace Daniher.

I think if you're bringing Merrett in where does Gus play?

You've got Viney, Oliver, Petracca, Harmes and then Merrett. Maybe Merrett plays on a wing and that enales Gus to play midfield, but it's tough fitting in all those mids, particularly when Gus has shown he can probably only play one position to a high level.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


2 minutes ago, A F said:

I think if you're bringing Merrett in where does Gus play?

You've got Viney, Oliver, Petracca, Harmes and then Merrett. Maybe Merrett plays on a wing and that enales Gus to play midfield, but it's tough fitting in all those mids, particularly when Gus has shown he can probably only play one position to a high level.

Like others have mentioned I would be trying Viney in the forward line like Wallis for a portion of a game and I would have Merrett on the wing. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, trout said:

Like others have mentioned I would be trying Viney in the forward line like Wallis for a portion of a game and I would have Merrett on the wing. 

I would too (RE Viney), but will they?

Fritsch Jackson Melksham

Viney Weideman Pickett

That's a reasonably mobile forwardline.

@Patches O’houlihan and I were sharing teams in PM yesterday and I'm sure he won't mind me putting forward his idea of Melksham off half back. I know Melksham played half back at Essendon to inconsistent success, but I reckon this would be a brilliant move. Use his kicking off half back, next to Salem and Rivers. It then opens up that forwardline to:

Fritsch Jackson ?
Viney Weideman Pickett

If we could bring in someone like Brayden Ham or another zippy small like Jack Higgins to play at half forward, that would give us Higgins, Viney, Pickett and Jackson to apply pressure at ground level and bring x factor and unpredictability. Fritsch, Jackson and Weideman as the marking targets. I think moving Melksham out of there, moving Viney and another small into the mix, as well as Petracca rotating through there, provides far more balance to the forwardline than we've had at any point during 2020.

Then one of Merrett/Polec/Smith/Phillips and Langdon on the wings. Oliver, Petracca, Harmes and Brayshaw (?) in the middle. If you got Merrett, he'd replace Gus as a midfield rotation and a wingman. Otherwise, Gus would be another midfield rotation, along with Viney.

We can dream.

Edited by A F
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Grimes Times said:

In what world is Merrett equal Gus and a 1st round pick. Id call them pretty level.

Merrett's been far more consistently elite than Gus. I love Gus, but he's had one consistent elite season at AFL level - 2018. And even if you remember back to that year, he started the season out of the side and had to work his way in.

Merrett's been elite for 5 years. If we take our Melbourne scarves off, Merrett's body of work is far, far greater and more impressive than Brayshaw's.

Edited by A F
  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, A F said:

Merrett's been far more consistently elite than Gus. I love Gus, but he's had one consistent elite season at AFL level - 2018. And even if you remember back to that year, he started the season out of the side and had to work his way in.

Merrett's been elite for 5 years. If we take our Melbourne scarves off, Merrett's body of work is far, far greater and more impressive than Brayshaw's.

I dont disagree with any of that, but im not doing not doing Gus plus a first round pick. If it was just Gus for a draft pick what would you want back for him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Grimes Times said:

I dont disagree with any of that, but im not doing not doing Gus plus a first round pick. If it was just Gus for a draft pick what would you want back for him.

I wouldn't trade Gus if it was for a draft pick. I'd rather we keep Gus, but if we were any chance to land an elite talent like Merrett who would perfectly compliment our midfield (can play inside or outside in our midfield and on a wing), I'd trade Gus every day of the week. Gus has struggled on the wing and up forward. He wasn't bad off half back in his first season, but otherwise he's not flexible enough and he's not as good at winning the ball as Oliver.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, A F said:

I think if you're bringing Merrett in where does Gus play?

You've got Viney, Oliver, Petracca, Harmes and then Merrett. Maybe Merrett plays on a wing and that enales Gus to play midfield, but it's tough fitting in all those mids, particularly when Gus has shown he can probably only play one position to a high level.

Ugh, I hate saying this, but I believe from what has been said here and elsewhere, Gus is gone. That's the impression I have. I concur with you about his limited flexibility (Gus's) - which is why, if I was Gus, I would want to go elsewhere to play where I wanted to play. There would be no shortage of suitors.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Engorged Onion said:

Ugh, I hate saying this, but I believe from what has been said here and elsewhere, Gus is gone. That's the impression I have. I concur with you about his limited flexibility (Gus's) - which is why, if I was Gus, I would want to go elsewhere to play where I wanted to play. There would be no shortage of suitors.

Yep, and re-signing Sparrow speaks volumes to me. I hope we're making a serious play for Merrett, but I certainly haven't heard that we are. Would make our midfield immediately the best in the league. Oliver, Merrett, Petracca in the one midfield is an embarrassing set of riches if possible.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, A F said:

Yep, and re-signing Sparrow speaks volumes to me. I hope we're making a serious play for Merrett, but I certainly haven't heard that we are. Would make our midfield immediately the best in the league. Oliver, Merrett, Petracca in the one midfield is an embarrassing set of riches if possible.

On paper- and I know you (and everyone here)knows this, but from a midfield perspective there needs to be personnel changes and becoming more dynamic in game.

I was watching the game last night (Geelong, Port) and it just felt such a scrappy game... BUT the scrappyness is the norm these days, its not free flowing... its not how it would have been 17-20 years ago from Voss, Lappin et al, nor even WCE or Hawthorn's much vaunted midfield.

First game of the finals, my thoughts were.

  • The capacity to win the contested ball relentlessly is an imperative... 
  • And to get it to skilled users on the outside.

Now as pundits on here, we all get that... and Goodwin and the FD are moving in that direction. But each year over the last few, theyve had to address at draft time...the question is, which problem do you address first, and whichever one that is... who is best available at that particular year to best address it, knowing full well that not everything will be addressed when you want it.

  • defensive frailties - now resolved
  • one out of two wingers - now resolved
  • elite (ish) ball users - unresolved.
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Engorged Onion said:

On paper- and I know you (and everyone here)knows this, but from a midfield perspective there needs to be personnel changes and becoming more dynamic in game.

I was watching the game last night (Geelong, Port) and it just felt such a scrappy game... BUT the scrappyness is the norm these days, its not free flowing... its not how it would have been 17-20 years ago from Voss, Lappin et al, nor even WCE or Hawthorn's much vaunted midfield.

First game of the finals, my thoughts were.

  • The capacity to win the contested ball relentlessly is an imperative... 
  • And to get it to skilled users on the outside.

Now as pundits on here, we all get that... and Goodwin and the FD are moving in that direction. But each year over the last few, theyve had to address at draft time...the question is, which problem do you address first, and whichever one that is... who is best available at that particular year to best address it, knowing full well that not everything will be addressed when you want it.

  • defensive frailties - now resolved
  • one out of two wingers - now resolved
  • elite (ish) ball users - unresolved.

Oliver or Petracca giving to Merrett is elite enough for me.

I agree that we need to address functionality and efficiency of our midfield, but Merrett is the sort of player that is a beautiful user on the outside. Petracca is one of those guys like Dusty who will turn it over from time to time, but the rest of the time, he'll create gold and scores. Oliver is similar and will get better the more he accelerates out of stoppages.

I think we'll be able to address that second winger position come the start of 2021 too. It's about getting the forwardline balance right and the the best efficiency from stoppages IMV.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, A F said:

Oliver or Petracca giving to Merrett is elite enough for me.

I agree that we need to address functionality and efficiency of our midfield, but Merrett is the sort of player that is a beautiful user on the outside. Petracca is one of those guys like Dusty who will turn it over from time to time, but the rest of the time, he'll create gold and scores. Oliver is similar and will get better the more he accelerates out of stoppages.

I think we'll be able to address that second winger position come the start of 2021 too. It's about getting the forwardline balance right and the the best efficiency from stoppages IMV.

Mmmm, I wasn't disputing Merrett and his talent at all. I think he would be a fine addition. It's just a reality that to bring someone in to an already (on paper) stacked midfield... someone needs to leave. Either Gus or Viney (for vastly different reasons) I felt were the  'most' expendable from our midfield at this current time. It appears it will be Gus**from what I have read... no sources, no nuthin'.

Edited by Engorged Onion
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, A F said:

I would too (RE Viney), but will they?

Fritsch Jackson Melksham

Viney Weideman Pickett

That's a reasonably mobile forwardline.

@Patches O’houlihan and I were sharing teams in PM yesterday and I'm sure he won't mind me putting forward his idea of Melksham off half back. I know Melksham played half back at Essendon to inconsistent success, but I reckon this would be a brilliant move. Use his kicking off half back, next to Salem and Rivers. It then opens up that forwardline to:

Fritsch Jackson ?
Viney Weideman Pickett

If we could bring in someone like Brayden Ham or another zippy small like Jack Higgins to play at half forward, that would give us Higgins, Viney, Pickett and Jackson to apply pressure at ground level and bring x factor and unpredictability. Fritsch, Jackson and Weideman as the marking targets. I think moving Melksham out of there, moving Viney and another small into the mix, as well as Petracca rotating through there, provides far more balance to the forwardline than we've had at any point during 2020.

Then one of Merrett/Polec/Smith/Phillips and Langdon on the wings. Oliver, Petracca, Harmes and Brayshaw (?) in the middle. If you got Merrett, he'd replace Gus as a midfield rotation and a wingman. Otherwise, Gus would be another midfield rotation, along with Viney.

We can dream.

Maybe with some fresh eyes in the coaching staff someone might suggest trying Viney in the forward line.

Melksham to the half back line could work, he has the skill and reads the play well. My biggest concern with that would be his work rate, this year he was off the chart lazy in my eyes. Maybe it would force him to work hard, certainly worth considering.

 Yeah another good small pressure forward would be very handy. The other wing spot is hard if not Merrett for me. Polec has a lot of what we need but I am just not sold on him, Smith has had a super career but has he got enough left in the tank to help us get past the four teams that have played finals yesterday and tonight, I don’t think so sadly.

We can dream alright, hopefully some new improved coaches some smart trading and recruiting and we can be playing finals and challenging.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/2/2020 at 4:25 PM, Engorged Onion said:

Mmmm, I wasn't disputing Merrett and his talent at all. I think he would be a fine addition. It's just a reality that to bring someone in to an already (on paper) stacked midfield... someone needs to leave. Either Gus or Viney (for vastly different reasons) I felt were the  'most' expendable from our midfield at this current time. It appears it will be Gus**from what I have read... no sources, no nuthin'.

No one needs to leave We need 6 or 7 good mids not 4 or 5!!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Demons11 said:

There is no way they trade him now with how much is going out 

Unless they see it as a chance to rebuild, but they'll want more than we can likely provide them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Demons11 said:

There is no way they trade him now with how much is going out 

Why?

Merrett out has been on the cards just as long as Saad out. Danners is was never staying after last year's trade fiasco.

They have a whole scale rebuild on their hands - for the new coach

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, jako13 said:

Why?

Merrett out has been on the cards just as long as Saad out. Danners is was never staying after last year's trade fiasco.

They have a whole scale rebuild on their hands - for the new coach

 

 

Merrett is only 24, if he was 27-28 then I’d agree but it won’t happen. Just my opinion 

Edited by Demons11
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think the smoke around Merrett is indication of a pretty large blaze, he's either out of there this year or next. I strongly suspect the club are very interested in getting Zac to become a Demon.  

Daniher provides an interesting precedent  It will be interesting to see what happens and then whether Essendon sideline Dodoro as a result.  Daniher  wanted out last year and given the injury concerns I thought the Swans offer was fair, Essendon didn't and held onto him, that's their right but are  they really going to get better compensation in an extremely compromised draft when he leaves as a RFA now?

They won't and more to the point they've burnt 12 months when they could have been developing the Swans  first pick from last year (Pick 9) and be looking forward to using the Swans first pick this year. Bang up job Adrian!  They're doing their best to deny suitors looking at Joe's medical files because when they do it's far more likely the offer will be substantially less than Tier 1, almost as certain that Essendon's bluff will be called and they won't match a bid.  This has the potential to turn into the mother of all list management nightmares for the new coach.

Given all this they probably still won't trade Merrett but after the Daniher result is known and if Merrett is resolved to leave, hopefully they might take a more pragmatic approach. 

Edited by grazman
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Demons11 said:

Dodoro will lose his job if things keep going the way they are, so he won’t do it I wouldn’t have thought 

The case for it:

1. Essendon haven't won a final in 14 years, the only way a key staffer like Dodoro keeps his job with that record is to keep having reasons why they haven't gone up the ladder. First it was the end of the Sheedy era, then the problem was Matty Knights. Then it was the supplement saga. With a new coach who they want to give some time and space to reset the game plan and list the best way to save everyones job is to have one big clean out. They won't be completely hopeless next year with or without Merrett, the list isn't that bad, so you go backwards for a year but you've got 5 first rounders in 2 years to show for it. For all his trade shenanigans Dodoro has always drafted well enough to hang in there.

2. If Merrett leaves in free agency he'll have to get a bigger contract than say Brad Crouch will get this year. And if Brad Crouch is only getting an end of first round pick then maybe Merrett's in line for similar. You have to assume we'd offer up our future first to start negotiations. 

I like Merrett but I don't love him. There's not enough smoke just yet to make me think we're all that keen and I think Essendon would certainly rather keep him. But it's an interesting one.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, jako13 said:

Why?

Merrett out has been on the cards just as long as Saad out. Danners is was never staying after last year's trade fiasco.

They have a whole scale rebuild on their hands - for the new coach

 

 

Contracted lad. Essendon wouldn't even entertain a trade, and if we somehow did get to the negotiation stage they'd want one of Petracca or Oliver for sure. 

much better to just keep talking to him and have a serious crack at the end of next year. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    THE YEAR THE SNOWFLAKES FELL by Whispering Jack

    The snow that fell on the slopes of Victoria’s mountain districts in the winter of 1965 was not considered good enough to satisfy the enthusiasts. The really heavy snow that season came in two waves further north in July and August. The first descended on the national capital where “Pig Iron Bob” still held sway. Snow flurries touched the landscape all the way across the Blue Mountains. The next big snow extended further north up to the hills around Mackay in Queensland. Snowflakes fell inside t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 10

    DEES GIVE DOGS A BONE by George On The Outer

    First place versus second on the ladder promised to be a precursor to what can be expected in the coming finals race.  However, it was the Demons who faltered and gave the Bulldogs a bone to feed their hunger just weeks out from the end of the season. The win also sent the Dogs to the top of the ladder, a position they are unlikely to cede in the coming weeks, given their fixture. While Melbourne may now struggle to keep a spot in the top four with its draw and will likely depend on the res

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE WORM WILL TURN by The Oracle

    When I was asked to preview this game, I wasn’t sure whether it was going to be played in Darwin, on the Gold Coast or the MCG. I had no idea as to the identity of Melbourne’s opponent. This would have made for one hell of an interesting match preview so I’m glad that the AFL managed to reorganize its fixture to enable a game … any game at all … to proceed in Round 19. We’ll worry about the Gold Coast Suns or whoever they put us up against when the weekend’s done and dusted and if and when

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    DRAWN AND DEEFLATED by George on the Outer

    1st v 17th ... it would seem a sure one way contest between the Hawks and the Demons but it was not to be with the game finishing in a draw, the only positive being the Demons still retain their top spot on the ladder. Melbourne was taught a football lesson by Al Clarkson, who with limited resources, just instructed his players to scrap, fight and surge the ball forward.  It stifled the Melbourne free flowing style of play and denied them the opportunities they could normally expect. I

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    PINK RAIN by Whispering Jack

    There is no certainty about life under a pandemic. You wake up one morning without a care in the world; the sun’s shining and it’s a beautiful day. An hour later, everything’s up in the air, the entire state is on high alert and the apartment complex next door’s in lockdown. The simple decision you had to make about buying a ticket to the footy at the weekend suddenly might get put on the back burner. There are other things in life to prioritise and on top of that, they’re predicting rain for th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    COR BLIMEY by KC from Casey

    In years to come, the old timers will talk in wonderment about the “Avalon Avalanche” that hit Werribee’s Avalon Airport Oval on a mild winter’s afternoon at about ten minutes after the halfway mark of the game between the local Tigers and their cross town rivals, the Demons from Casey. At that moment in time, the game was poised as if on a knifepoint. Up until the main interval, it had been the visiting team which had maintained the lead from the start but it had struggled to entirely asse

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    POWER FAILURE by George on the Outer

    South Australians should be well familiar with the damage that storms can do to the power supply.  But Port Power forgot those lessons on Thursday night football as they watched the Melbourne storm descend upon them from across the border and ruin their hopes of a top four placing. Just as equally, the win to the Demons cemented their spot in the top two and sent out the message that a team who had been going around in circles for the past couple of weeks, has in fact, turned into a cyclone

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    CASEY SUFFER FIRST DEFEAT IN TWO YEARS

    The circumstances were a little unusual last Saturday night as KC from Casey was unavailable to report on the Casey Dees due to work commitments. On the ground things were somewhat unusual as well given that, although there was a game to be won on the night, preparations were also being made for the forthcoming Thursday night clash against Port Adelaide with Ben Brown rested for large slabs of the evening. It turned out perhaps, to be a stroke of genius for Melbourne with Brown making a strong c

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    WEATHERING THE STORM by Mel Rundle

    The magic of Melbourne’s magnificent start to 2021 is beginning to wear off. In its past six matches it lost to three teams that were outside the eight, out of form —  teams which it had very little trouble bearing last year. This week, the temperature is turned up even higher with the hard fought spot in the top four at risk. The really ominous factor about the Demons’ upcoming Thursday night meeting with Port Adelaide this week is that it is due to take place at the very place where its dec

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    FEE-FI-FO-FUM by George on the Outer

    “Fee-fi-fo-fum, without a Full Forward the Premiership can’t be won!” So said the GWS Giants, as they exposed Melbourne’s fatal deficiency with a nine point win at the MCG.  In past weeks Melbourne has been barely able to gloss over the lack of a serious target in front of goal, while others were able to contribute.  But in a near repeat of the game from the previous week, players running up the ground simply had no-one to kick the ball to, when all that was needed was that one tall target.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    MUCH ADO ABOUT EVERYTHING by Whispering Jack

    Let's face it. We Melbourne supporters are a demanding lot. Here we are with our team on top of the ladder with a record of 12 wins and 2 losses, a decent percentage and a fair run home for a team with finals credentials. We have a fit list with lots of in form players, many of who are in contention for All Australian and other high honours, the team’s playing with purpose and cohesion and its VFL affiliate is undefeated and going gangbusters.  Still, we're all walking around with conc

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    HIATUS by KC from Casey

    After their five week Covid19 lockdown hiatus, the Casey Demons were fairly scratchy against Essendon VFL for the best part of 2½ quarters on Sunday afternoon but they finally settled down to motor away to a 48 point victory. With 20 AFL affiliated players on the team sheet, the Casey line up looked the strongest team ever put together since linking up with the Demons but the team struggled to score in the early going and managed its first goal to Aaron vandenBerg late in the first term.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles


×
×
  • Create New...