Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

We desperately need a gun key forward

Pickett2Jackson

20 minutes ago, A F said:

Jesse is very capable of holding his own in a contested aerial situation without jumping on someone's head. He's a mobile CHF as the best CHFs are. I'd have him in my side before Brown and I think we could actually play Jackson, Hogan and Weideman in the same team.

6 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Weid kicked multiple goals in all but one game and averaged 4 marks a game for 9 rounds between round 6 and 14. His 18 goals in 9 goals was very strong.

Then came the short breaks and awful cairns conditions.

One more preseason of the right physical improvements and he'll get there.

Jackson is a stud. 

Harry Petty came in to a disaster of a side in 2019 and was clunking marks and hitting the scoreboard.

We'll be fine with what we have. We have to allocate resources in other positions - namely guys who can run, pressure and kick. We do that and our forwards will look a whole lot better.

Dee don't agree need to look at Key for ward and back positions Petty is ok for one if he plays I agree.

4 hours ago, A F said:

Well, I'd very much back this plan then. It would also hopefully have a flow on effect to ensuring he brings physicality at ground level.

If Fritsch had the tank to play wing, he'd be perfect. Particularly, if we think Baker can also play there, and perhaps the two can rotate between half forward and wing. Obviously, Langdon is a lock on the other wing.

No Fritsch is too good a mark yo not have kicking goals Once he develops physically and mentally he will be a star on HFF or doubling back nearer goal 

Must stop leading to The wrong pocket  or any pocket.

Agree Jack Gunston would be an ideal 2 Nd or third tall fir us 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Weid kicked multiple goals in all but one game and averaged 4 marks a game for 9 rounds between round 6 and 14. His 18 goals in 9 goals was very strong.

Jackson is a stud. 

Harry Petty came in to a disaster of a side in 2019 and was clunking marks and hitting the scoreboard.

We'll be fine with what we have. We have to allocate resources in other positions - namely guys who can run, pressure and kick. We do that and our forwards will look a whole lot better.

Agree 'Dee'...another running wingman who can work hard up and down the ground. We need to get into someone like we did with Langdon, Phillips at the Pies (yes has a contract but rumours they might offload because of cap issues) has been my suggestion but happy to hear others.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rjay said:

Agree 'Dee'...another running wingman who can work hard up and down the ground. We need to get into someone like we did with Langdon, Phillips at the Pies (yes has a contract but rumours they might offload because of cap issues) has been my suggestion but happy to hear others.

Philips for Tom.McDonald.

On 9/19/2020 at 4:59 PM, WERRIDEE said:

The Weid will be alright struggling a bit ATM but at least he is bringing it to ground. Will be better with Jackson in the side.

We've been saying this for the last three seasons W.

Surely he doesn't get a game for just bringing the ball to ground?  Pruess is a required KF using that theory as a basis for retaining a player then.

1 miserly goal in four matches when we needed him to stand up.  As i've been saying for a while, downhill skier that rarely stands up when the going gets tough and sub standard under any sort of pressure in a contest or coming from behind on the scoreboard (which we tend to do a fair bit of). Beaten far too easily on the ground.

Time to look elsewhere.  He'd be one of the first i would look to trade or delist as part of a deal to get a genuine goal kicking KF into the club.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Rusty Nails said:

Surely he doesn't get a game for just bringing the ball to ground?  Pruess is a required KF using that theory as a basis for retaining a player then.

1 miserly goal in four matches when we needed him to stand up.  As i've been saying for a while, downhill skier that rarely stands up when the going gets tough and sub standard under any sort of pressure in a contest or coming from behind on the scoreboard (which we tend to do a fair bit of). Beaten far too easily on the ground.

Time to look elsewhere.  He'd be one of the first i would look to trade or delist as part of a deal to get a genuine goal kicking KF into the club.

Weid will be alright he missed Jackson giving him a chop out. Preuss is only a ruckman that is all.

• Like 1

On 9/19/2020 at 8:03 PM, Patches O’houlihan said:

One player who i think would be gettable, allbeit expensive is Harry McKay. i reckon he's an immediate upgrade on Weid and has plenty of upside moving forward. 

Kind of ironic because we passed McKay to take Weid and were interested in both. 

I feel like outside run and class is still our biggest need and that's where the bulk of our cap should be spent at this stage, but if we could get McKay in. even if it cost us a good pick. i think we'd be better for it 

He is in now way gettable

20 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Gunston's a professional goal kicker who would be great, we can move Fritsch around.

But spending up on a tall forward would be a big waste.

Tall defender is a big need, but you can find them cheaper.

3 minutes ago, Rusty Nails said:

No key forwards outside of Hawkins and Dixon played overly well this year.  The shorten quarters allowed teams to defend for longer and that has had a major impact on them and also scoring.  Hopefully with no longer quarters this will change next year 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, rjay said:

Phillips is a bit too similar to Langdon for my likings. Great runner, but not good in the contest and shoddy kick. 

I think we'd have to use either Langdon or Phillips through half forward if we had both of them just to spread out the traits. That's not necessarily a bad thing.

Daicos is my suggestion. The kicking skills we need.

We don't seem to be involved in the Xavier O'Halloran sweepstakes.

The Crows would probably give Seedsman up pretty cheaply given they are getting younger.

There's a couple of guys who went in the draft 2 years ago to good clubs and haven't got games - Jacob Kennerly to Geel and Fraser Turner to Richmond. No idea how they are tracking but might be worth a look.

I'd also very much consider training up Harmes and/or Melksham for the role if we can find some flankers at either end. JJ too. And Baker has shown at least a flicker that he's not completely out of the equation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Gunston's a professional goal kicker who would be great, we can move Fritsch around.

But spending up on a tall forward would be a big waste.

Tall defender is a big need, but you can find them cheaper.

Petty could take that tall defender spot. Will add that Tomlinson has been ok...an upgrade on Oscar.

Spending on a KPF would be a waste, agree.

As you posted before Weid has been pretty good in his games back but missed Jackson toward the end...all the KPF's have struggled this season so expectations on Weid have been too high. He's done his job.

Edited by rjay
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Daicos is my suggestion. The kicking skills we need.

Eddie would go into convulsions...not a bad thing though.

Daicos has certainly come on a bit this year, thought at first he was name value only but can play.

Edited by rjay

3 minutes ago, WERRIDEE said:

Weid will be alright he missed Jackson giving him a chop out. Preuss is only a ruckman that is all.

If wishes were horses W.

Yes i know Pruess is a ruckman.  You are missing the point i was making i think.

Missed Jackson!? ....remind me how many games he's played and played this year W?  Come on guys.  If there was a time for the tough to get going it was when LJ the rookie went down.  This was the Weids chance to finally stand up and show some maturity after 5 seasons.  Instead he was nowhere to be seen when we had a finals berth on the line and the bulk of our goals had to come from medium smalls and/or mids.

It's a matter of trust and consistency.  The Weid brings neither of those week in / out and goes missing for patches/matches far too often.

Possibly a back up 3rd stringer at best.  Time to look elsewhere.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DeeSpencer said:

Jackson is a stud. 

No, we need a big bullocking key forward. None of the top 4 sides rely on kids to kick all their goals

36 minutes ago, Elegt said:

No, we need a big bullocking key forward. None of the top 4 sides rely on kids to kick all their goals

Brisbane do.

Otherwise Port, Geel and Richmond have 1 excellent big guy. Port's number 2 is a kid, Richmond's number 2 is ageing Riewoldt and Geelong don't really have a 2nd guy. The Eagles have Kennedy about to finish up and the best support system with Darling, Allen and Ryan but they aren't going anywhere.

Otherwise the list of big forwards who kicked more goals than Weideman this year is very low. Jezza Cameron might be the only one remotely available and he's hardly a bullocking option. Gunston even less so.

Weideman will play most of next season at 24 years old. He remains a better bet than gambling on anyone else. Fritsch should continue to improve in doing what he does. Jackson doesn't have to be a bullocking player or a big goal kicker. An x-factor type who's difficult to stop in the air is all he needs to do.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, A F said:

I rate Carlton's list. The one area of the ground I don't rate for them is their midfield. It's basically Cripps and the rest are triers. I think it'd be dangerous to give a competitor like that one of our gun mids. I rate McKay, but he's not a bonafide A grader.

Putting aside what McKay is worth, I reckon it's too cute for a ninth placed team to say they're not going to improve their list because it will also improve the list of another team that missed out on finals.

13 minutes ago, Rogue said:

Putting aside what McKay is worth, I reckon it's too cute for a ninth placed team to say they're not going to improve their list because it will also improve the list of another team that missed out on finals.

Fair enough. That may be so.

Viney is our only mid I'd consider giving up to the market.

Who would you give up for McKay, hypothetically speaking.

There are options but all with question marks:

1. Daniher. Injury prone.

2. Cameron. Too expensive

3. Harry McKay: Bit soft in my opinion. Carlton would want a first rounder

4. Jesse Hogan: Off field concerns.

5. Ben Brown: Has he still got it? Averaged under a goal a game this year.

6. Mihocek: Any better than the Wied?

• Like 1

Ye of little faith we have him in Weideman. People talking about Daniher, Cameron, McKay, Hogan and Brown he had a better year than all of them. Next year will be his break year with a little help from Jackson, Petty and Brown.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dee-tox said:

There are options but all with question marks:

1. Daniher. Injury prone.

2. Cameron. Too expensive

3. Harry McKay: Bit soft in my opinion. Carlton would want a first rounder

4. Jesse Hogan: Off field concerns.

5. Ben Brown: Has he still got it? Averaged under a goal a game this year.

6. Mihocek: Any better than the Wied?

Yes Cameron will come at a cost but look at the teams willing to offer the cash up for him. They know exactly what they are doing. He is a genuine match winner, will add 50+ goals and increase the output of others around him. 

Not to mention the increase memberships it will provide. May and lever are great but people dont go to the footy to watch backmen stop goals. 

It's time the club grew a set and offered up a serious contract for a serious player. 

If it means we lose Brayshaw/Viney (mainly due to cap space) so be it. We have many options on the inside. 

If we can bring across Saad and Cameron this trade period, we would finally have a complete list.

• Like 1

The McKay stuff is fanciful.. no way in the world is he leaving Carlton, especially with Curnow no certainty to get back to full fitness. Ben Brown is the one. Gettable, affordable and what we need.. a stay at home FF who takes the best defender. Did you watch Nth this year? they were awful, and he suffered as a result. Unless they are going to get uber aggressive and sell the farm for Jeremy Cameron then Ben Brown is the most likely.

• Like 2

Thinking about this some more, adding a forward who can fit alongside Weideman and Jackson is key. 

Cameron would obviously fit because he is a superstar and very mobile.

De Goey would be the best pick up, legal issues aside.

Gunston would cost our 2021 first rounder and more, which is a lot for a 28 year old.

Mihocek would also be able to play alongside Weideman and Jackson.

Ben Brown would probably make us too slow and top heavy but would cost the least.

Daniher is hit or miss and seems to want to get out of Melbourne.

The other option could be to swing May forward and play Petracca 70% forward. We could then go for a key defender like Robbie Tarrant, Hooker or Carlisle.

• Like 1