Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Trade Targets

Flag Favourites 3019

8 minutes ago, dee-tox said:

Compared to other clubs we have been well served by injuries this year. Last year we were exposed badly when our bottom six were unable to at least play a role.

With Bowie and Laurie still a while away, I'd be  tempted to add one or two classy flankers if they are available... Maybe we can poach someone like Conor Stone from GWS or Sam Flanders from Gold Coast?

i am unsure of the point of bringing in players from oppo sides who will be 'good depth' - particularly if they can't make the 22 of the side that they're in now, i'd have doubts on them making ours

for instance i worry about the likes of dow or petrevski-seton at carlton, geelong's narkle, or someone like ainsworth at gc17 who is constantly in and out of his current side despite being ostensibly a 'useful' player - mebbe they're like chandler or baker for us, and solid depth?

ideally you add best 22 players to push those on the fringes of yr best side out, not keep them in - it's why if we are targeting someone from another club, i'd love if it was maynard from the filth, cerra from freo, peptides' zerrett (or parish), or either duursma or butters from the pear...the latter are just blue-sky dreaming

personally i would expect our salary cap judgement to be fine, and given the raft of signings that we have made and extensions / re-contracts we have executed we should be in a decent position to augment our side with a a quality pick-up from somewhere else either this off-season or next

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, whatwhat say what said:

i am unsure of the point of bringing in players from oppo sides who will be 'good depth' - particularly if they can't make the 22 of the side that they're in now, i'd have doubts on them making ours

for instance i worry about the likes of dow or petrevski-seton at carlton, geelong's narkle, or someone like ainsworth at gc17 who is constantly in and out of his current side despite being ostensibly a 'useful' player - mebbe they're like chandler or baker for us, and solid depth?

ideally you add best 22 players to push those on the fringes of yr best side out, not keep them in - it's why if we are targeting someone from another club, i'd love if it was maynard from the filth, cerra from freo, peptides' zerrett (or parish), or either duursma or butters from the pear...the latter are just blue-sky dreaming

personally i would expect our salary cap judgement to be fine, and given the raft of signings that we have made and extensions / re-contracts we have executed we should be in a decent position to augment our side with a a quality pick-up from somewhere else either this off-season or next

I don't think anyone thinks paddy Dow is a remotely good player. He'll be out of the system in a year.  But nonetheless I agree with your sentiments.

Sometimes some players are just perfect fits for a certain side though. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, 58er said:

This is about as speculative as a salary cap report as I have ever read. 
Done by an amateur with no credible knowledge of the figures of our list.

@rpfc had a crack at throwing some quick numbers together, to try and give the discussion a bit of foundation.

Your comment was poor and serves little purpose. If you have better numbers to work from, put them up.

2 hours ago, Cheesy D. Pun said:

@rpfc had a crack at throwing some quick numbers together, to try and give the discussion a bit of foundation.

Your comment was poor and serves little purpose. If you have better numbers to work from, put them up.

Sorry Cheesy,

This particular discussion is useless without credible $$$ details.

I don't have any better no's but I am not going to speculate without any knowledge when I know half of D/L will go off their brain with even the wildest figures for comment,

This  has the undesired effect of compromising all the good work of the List Managers and Footy Dept chiefs. If you had read my comment I disputed rpfc and indicated  I believe it was a beat up as why would we really recruit 2 players at both the SSP and now the Mid Season  Draft if we were under extreme  Salary  Cap pressure?

I gave great faith in the MFC management of our playing list and their recent record is both successful and consistently applied to our needs. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 58er said:

Sorry Cheesy,

I don't have any better no's but I am not going to speculate without any knowledge when I know half of D/L will go off their brain with even the wildest figures for comment,

This  has the undesired effect of compromising all the good work of the List Managers and Footy Dept chiefs. If you had read my comment I disputed rpfc and indicated  I believe it was a beat up as why would we really recruit 2 players at both the SSP and now the Mid Season  Draft if we were under extreme  Salary  Cap pressure?

I gave great faith in the MFC management of our playing list and their recent record is both successful and consistently applied to our needs. 

So your contribution to the discussion is dismissiveness and to fold your arms and say the club knows what it’s doing? Ok then, you’d be fun at parties.

As for the cap pressure - I intimated that we would struggle to bring in any best XVIII players, not Werribee’s 5 time overlooked CHB.

And the replacement of injured players through the mid season draft has negligible  impact on the cap. If you want to read the CBA it’s here: https://www.aflplayers.com.au/app/uploads/2020/12/AFL_CBA_2017-2022-1.pdf

I would also get you to do some self reflection about what we can post about if we can’t engage in speculation?

Melkshams place in the team? Absolutely not, we don’t know the ins and outs of what he is asked to do. 

Gameplans? Goodwin and the players give hints but they are not going to tell us anything. The last month most of us have watched on TV - you can only speculate as to what players are doing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We're on our way, if not already, to being a destination club. If a high profile player decides they want to come here there are ways and means to make it happen from a TPP perspective. I reckon we should bring in top end players (Merrett, Kelly, McKay) if we can and address depth through drafting.

Disclaimer: This comment is pure speculation based on 100% uninformed opinion. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Better days ahead said:

Disclaimer: This comment is pure speculation based on 100% uninformed opinion. 

Good disclaimer. 

Perhaps all posts should have an enforced signature to that effect.

I, four letters in a seemingly random order, anonymous poster would not wish to give the impression I am paid to give these opinions nor informed enough to be considered a leaker of information.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, 58er said:

Sorry Cheesy,

I think it's completely rational to at least make a basic estimate of our TPP position before discussing what we're going to do in the trade period and you didn't challenge or dispute the numbers that @rpfc put up. 

Instead, you decided to call him 'amateur' and 'not credible'. That's playing the man and not the ball.

58er, you've made many good contributions to Demonland. This wasn't one of them.

Dylan Stephens is out of contract for the Swan's, pick #5 from the 2019 draft where we picked up Jackson, etc:

Think he racks it up at VFL level but seems to be in and out of the Swan's senior side. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, adonski said:

Dylan Stephens is out of contract for the Swan's, pick #5 from the 2019 draft where we picked up Jackson, etc:

Think he racks it up at VFL level but seems to be in and out of the Swan's senior side. 

Don’t know much about him but worth a look. Is he not getting a run in Swans side? How has he played when he got in? One spot we can use is wing. 

33 minutes ago, adonski said:

Definitely outside silk, but in his draft year I thought he looked more like Ben Newton than Isaac Smith or a confident Brad Hill.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, A F said:

Definitely outside silk, but in his draft year I thought he looked more like Ben Newton than Isaac Smith or a confident Brad Hill.

Yeah thought that may have been the case if he can't get a gig for young Swans side, very slim frame though, may take a bit to come on

• Like 2

On 6/11/2021 at 9:11 AM, MadAsHell said:

Lochie O'Brien (Carlton)

Darcy Tucker (Fremantle)

Jeremy Sharp (Gold Coast)

Dean Kent* (St Kilda)

Ed Richards (Western Bulldogs)

* Would be great to see him come back and get a crack at that midfield/wing position he reckons he didn't get a chance at here previously.

No, no, no, absolutely not, ask the question

On 6/11/2021 at 9:58 AM, Kent said:

So who is currently on our group of delistings next year

Jetta

Jones

Nietsche

Bedford

Lochardt

retire, retire, yes, no, yes, no

imo Jetta, Jones, vandenberg, Chandler, Bedford, Bradtke, JSmith, Baker

On 6/11/2021 at 10:25 AM, Kent said:

Yes Agree Cheesy Bowey a rplacement for Hibbo 2023 and Rosman a replacement for Langton. We also have Tomlinson to consider

What about Bradke after Jackson is he still required ?we have put a bit of work into him

can't believe we're replacing langdon already *facepalm*

can't take this thread very seriously when the first message i opened to today said Tom Mitchell (outside) if you looked up inside mid in the dictionary his face would be smiling straight back at u

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, adonski said:

Best mates with Kozzy also

• Like 2

i don't think it's 100% accurate, but here is the list of uncontracted players at the end of this season, here's 10 (plus a bonus) that i'd be interested in seeing in red and blue in 2022:

• harry mckay (carlton) - never gonna happen, primarily cos we are overstocked for key forwards and he'll want a massive payday, and we don't have the 'assets' to trade for him
  • john noble (collingwood) - would slot into our defensive make-up with his pace and ability to lock down on an oppo, but can't see the filth letting him go for that exact reason
  • darcy parish (essendon) - i was hoping the peptides were going to continue to waste him on the half-forward flank and as such he'd want to leave for more opportunity but unfortunately they saw the error of their ways
  • zac merrett (essendon) - should be a primary target as a rfa, if we have the $$ to accommodate him
  • adam cerra (freo) - so smooth, so classy, can't see us being able to satisfy peter bell and put a second feather in his cap after the hogan deal
  • jake riccardi (gw$) - going against my own ethos of 'don't want players who are in and out of other sides' but i think riccardi has been poorly treated by gw$ this year; only query is whether we'd see him as a tall back or forward - we'd likely only look at him if weideman leaves
  • changkuouth jiath (hawks) - lots of teams should chase him but i can't see him leaving  the hawks
  • (don tyson (north) - hoping casey recruit him to play at vfl level; he's just a nice guy and deserves to play for a good vfl side)
  • shai bolton (richmond) - can't see him leaving the tigers to go to another melbourne-based club; he'll either stay or flee west
  • jack billings (st. kilda) - as an rfa this year he could be a decent pick-up at a mid-tier price; he looks like he needs a refresh
  • ed richards (footscray) - love his combination of height and pace on the wing

i still think our best opportunity to bring in a best 22 player is go the rfa route - zerrett would be in our top few players, and billings would definitely be best 22

the other option is to look at the pre-agents of 2022; that is, those coming up as free agents next season - from this list, i would be keen to explore options for trading for these top 5 pre-agents:

• brayden maynard (collingwood) - i think he should be our #1 target at the end of this season
  • darcy moore (collingwood) - i don't think he defends as well as others, but imagine may, moore, and lever as our tall defensive trio...
  • jordan de goey (collingwood) - if the filth are having a fire sale again and want to pay part of his contract in 2022, i would back our football dept and fitness staff to get him 'right' to be 'the next petracca'
  • karl amon (pear) - he wanted away two years ago and since then seems to have settled and is playing great footy as an inside / outside mid 
  • isaac heeney (sydney) - can't see it happening but does he want to experience footy in a big football town?
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I wonder if we need to give consideration to trade in, or perhaps draft, a young(ish) key position forward. Many on here are crying out for Weideman to be traded while Ben Brown and T-mac both have well known form and injury issues over the last couple years and nearing 30.

Jackson isn't really a forward and our only other kpf option that I wouldn't mind seeing (although not this year) is Petty.

Georgiades would be fantastic and I can see why Taylor was keen on him during his draft year. Unfortunately Port rarely lose players they want to keep and are also in finals contention so I can't see this happening.

Any other suggestions?

• Like 2

it will be interesting to see whether, now josh mahoney is at the peptides, we're as much of a wheeler-dealer club as we have been lately

as i've said before, i would like to think we could use them both to get maynard; if not, i think we should be targeting footscray's first round pick

at the moment that sits as pick 17 - undoubtedly it'll slide back a few places in the actual draft, after father-son and academy selections, but it is little value to the dogs as they have luke darcy's son who will, undoubtedly, command a pick in the top handful when the push comes to shove, and after that first rounder their picks have no 'points' value whatsoever

at the moment the dogs have picks 17, 71, 89

we have picks 33, 38, 53, 90

if we can't prise maynard away from collingwood for 33 and 38 - and thus giving the filth the collateral to draft daicos, the consensus pick 1 or 2 at this stage, which they will need 2400 points to claim (they currently have the equivalent of 1677 with their draft picks) - then we should be looking to use them to trade into the first round for another club that needs 'points' - all of the filth, footscray, gw$ and i think gc17 have likely first round father-son / academy selections that they going to need to accrue points lest they go into 'debt' in 2022

the current value of 33 and 38 is 1028 points, or the equivalent of around about pick 17

if we add 53 to it it's the equivalent of 1261 points, approximately pick 13

• Thanks 2

Ruck depth is an area i'd like to see us build in, there are some very good young rucks around the league developing in the 2's who'd potentially see a real opportunity, with Gawn getting older to learn off the best for a year or 2 with the view of taking his spot 

I'm not sure of his contractual status but Sam Hayes is someone i really rate from the Power, he's a very big lad, and very strong contested game, i reckon he can become a really really good player. his ruck craft probably needs some work but i'm sure Gawn and Stafford could help that alot. 

Port rate him so it wouldn't be a freebie, but realistically i'd expect the asking price to be reasonable 

• Like 2

Delighted to hear talk (rumour) that we are after Brayden Maynard - who probably played his best ever game last Monday.

He's still only 24, is a left-footer which we need, and as with Hibberd, loves playing on quality smalls or three-quarter talls and is tough as nails.

He has an association with us via his dad and brother and significantly is part of the 2014 Victorian TAC group that we have put our faith behind - Trac, Angus, Lever.

I would imagine we'd have to offload the Weid plus picks 33 and 38 to get this done - but what a perfect recruit if it can be achieved.

I had been of the view that Hayden Young was the best fit for us in that role going forward, but Brayden is a here now quality player and given that Collingwood is in a rebuild phase, may be willing to switch. 

• Like 1

On 6/12/2021 at 1:48 PM, whatwhat say what said:

i don't think it's 100% accurate, but here is the list of uncontracted players at the end of this season, here's 10 (plus a bonus) that i'd be interested in seeing in red and blue in 2022:

• harry mckay (carlton) - never gonna happen, primarily cos we are overstocked for key forwards and he'll want a massive payday, and we don't have the 'assets' to trade for him
  • john noble (collingwood) - would slot into our defensive make-up with his pace and ability to lock down on an oppo, but can't see the filth letting him go for that exact reason
  • darcy parish (essendon) - i was hoping the peptides were going to continue to waste him on the half-forward flank and as such he'd want to leave for more opportunity but unfortunately they saw the error of their ways
  • zac merrett (essendon) - should be a primary target as a rfa, if we have the $$ to accommodate him
  • adam cerra (freo) - so smooth, so classy, can't see us being able to satisfy peter bell and put a second feather in his cap after the hogan deal
  • jake riccardi (gw$) - going against my own ethos of 'don't want players who are in and out of other sides' but i think riccardi has been poorly treated by gw$ this year; only query is whether we'd see him as a tall back or forward - we'd likely only look at him if weideman leaves
  • changkuouth jiath (hawks) - lots of teams should chase him but i can't see him leaving  the hawks
  • (don tyson (north) - hoping casey recruit him to play at vfl level; he's just a nice guy and deserves to play for a good vfl side)
  • shai bolton (richmond) - can't see him leaving the tigers to go to another melbourne-based club; he'll either stay or flee west
  • jack billings (st. kilda) - as an rfa this year he could be a decent pick-up at a mid-tier price; he looks like he needs a refresh
  • ed richards (footscray) - love his combination of height and pace on the wing

i still think our best opportunity to bring in a best 22 player is go the rfa route - zerrett would be in our top few players, and billings would definitely be best 22

the other option is to look at the pre-agents of 2022; that is, those coming up as free agents next season - from this list, i would be keen to explore options for trading for these top 5 pre-agents:

• brayden maynard (collingwood) - i think he should be our #1 target at the end of this season
  • darcy moore (collingwood) - i don't think he defends as well as others, but imagine may, moore, and lever as our tall defensive trio...
  • jordan de goey (collingwood) - if the filth are having a fire sale again and want to pay part of his contract in 2022, i would back our football dept and fitness staff to get him 'right' to be 'the next petracca'
  • karl amon (pear) - he wanted away two years ago and since then seems to have settled and is playing great footy as an inside / outside mid 
  • isaac heeney (sydney) - can't see it happening but does he want to experience footy in a big football town?

I have to disagree re Billings in our best 22. I’m not entirely sure he’s in StKilda’s best 22 anymore. And that’s saying something.

• Shocked 1

1 minute ago, Return to Glory said:

I have to disagree re Billings in our best 22. I’m not entirely sure he’s in StKilda’s best 22 anymore. And that’s saying something.

I think Billings would improve in our system and definitely be in our best 22 based on his best football. he's down this year, but so is basically the Saints entire club. my sense is though, his name being floated is purely about assessing his potential worth, and if they couldn't get a top 20 pick, it's probably not worth the trade from the Saints end. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Dwight Schrute said:

I think Billings would improve in our system and definitely be in our best 22 based on his best football. he's down this year, but so is basically the Saints entire club. my sense is though, his name being floated is purely about assessing his potential worth, and if they couldn't get a top 20 pick, it's probably not worth the trade from the Saints end. 

he started the season so well and since coming down with plantar fasciitis he's looked cruelled by the injury

it's almost a black mark on the aints that they're continuing to play him when he's clearly so hampered

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, whatwhat say what said:

he started the season so well and since coming down with plantar fasciitis he's looked cruelled by the injury

it's almost a black mark on the aints that they're continuing to play him when he's clearly so hampered

It's pretty ordinary. especially given they aren't a serious finals contender or anything, you'd definitely hope to see a bit more care shown for players, especially because every player always wants to play, but the club has a bit of a responsibiltiy to pull the pin if they're pushing through too much

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, whatwhat say what said:

Was unaware of this. Thank you

• Like 1