Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Trade Targets

Flag Favourites 3019

The names and ages we’re going after definitely indicates the club feels a lot of the ingredients are already there, we just need to complete the puzzle (and then get a cohesive and clear game plan). 

Edited by Pates
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Pates said:

The names and ages we’re going after definitely indicates the club feels a lot of the ingredients are already there, we just need to complete the puzzle (and then get a cohesive and clear game plan). 

I reckon we've got the list, probably just need a bloke who can coach at the helm now. 

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, Patches O’houlihan said:

I reckon we've got the list, probably just need a bloke who can coach at the helm now. 

once again melbourne over rating where they are, you never saw geelong hawthorn weagles ever feel satisfied with their lists

Lake, Frawley, TKelly, Danger

Edited by Turner

B. Brown and I. Smith are great early targets for two of our priority areas. I don't expect that Smith will leave in the end and I reckon there will likely be a late higher bidder or two for Brown. Good that we're apparently putting in the legwork now. 

Would also like to somehow hold onto pick 23 as the AFL have confirmed a two-day draft and early second-rounders now come with an added gold-lining. In a muddled draft we could parlay that into a slightly later pick for JT and a bonus second-rounder next year. 

We are still likely to get in some extra trade cookies and there are a lot of opportunities for packaging picks this year. We can always package up and then sell off as well. I'm thinking we'll end up with a second second-rounder. 

From there another mature running small defender (missing Saad was disappointing, but eased a bit by the reported cost and what the Dons would ask in return) and a another dynamic small forward and outside mid. 

Tippa and Merrett would be the dream, on top of Brown and Smith. Don't know how that gets done but we'd have to sell out of next year entirely and probably lose one of our core inside mids. I want to keep them together but for Merrett see you later to Gus or Harmes.

Unfortunately some of our trade points will seemingly come from losing Preuss - and to a lesser extent one or both of the Mac's - which means another back-up ruck and some tall stock becomes another priority. 

I'll leave it to Werribee to post up my dream 22 with said inclusions but I think the trickle-down effect of these few would be huge and instantly premiership-pushing. Along with seriously aiding the development of some of our youngsters. 

Imagine Tippa and Kossie running amok together. What Brown would do in terms of releasing Fritsch and Jackson into space. A starting midfield of Merrett, Trac and Oliver, being fed by Gawn. Rivers alongside another defending runner and Salem let loose. 

I'll keep dreaming. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Turner said:

once again melbourne over rating where they are, you never saw geelong hawthorn weagles ever feel satisfied with their lists

If the FD felt satisfied with the list than we wouldn’t be looking to trade anyone in. They are clearly going after certain positions: FF and opposing wing to Langdon. I would hope that the other area they know we are very average in is speed and skill in the middle, a true outside player who can burst from the pack and hit up a target (and yes I know they don’t grow on trees). 

I think we’ve got some quality in most areas of the ground, but we need to go further. Ideally I’d like us to go after higher end talent but if we can get Brown back to form than we have a Coleman medal-competing FF. 

• Like 3

KD: Tarrant, TLangdon, Talia, Carlisle, Hooker/Hurley

HB: Witherden, CCox, Egg-Smith, Savage

W: Phillips, Hunter, Polec, ISmith, 

SF: McD-Tippungwuti, Narkle, Aarts, Ronke, ZLangdon

KF: Wright, BBrown, Ratugolea, PMcCartin

per position this is how i'd preferentially target the available players this offseason, obviously there are different factors involved in all. 

BBrown - don't pay overs in pick, length or $ (did TMac teach you nothing), KPP can fall off quickly

ZLangdon/Narkle (AFL website saying go-home WA factor is possibly at play here)

ISmith, Savage-  age, prefer someone younger to grow with the list core for 5yrs rather than plug a gap

McCartin, Hooker/Hurley - injury history i'd look elsewhere first

Polec- depends what $ we have to pay

Wright - Can ruck good minutes should Gawn go down or play together with LJ + Weid which Preuss couldn't, covers both positions

I would take any of those general forwards ahead of our current tried + limited crop (Hannan, Hunt, ANB, AVB, Melk, Chandler) even for a season to see if we can unlock them

Key backs + half backs seems like less of a priority but i don't think Tomlinson/Smith are long term options nor Jetta/Hibbo due to age & KK's injuries. 

• Like 1

Bit of a leftfield thought, but how about a look into an Alex Witherden on a wing? I know he's played the majority of his footy down off half back, but is a beautiful kick of the ball and could really be a great outside distributor through midfield if he worked up the legs to do it. Seems like on the outer at the Lions and they dont seem to concerned to let him go.

19 hours ago, Turner said:

What are you talking about? So we're overrating our list by trying to improve it? What would you prefer we did? Sit on our hands? Seriously. Ridiculous stuff.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, AaronDaveyChipsAndGravey said:

Bit of a leftfield thought, but how about a look into an Alex Witherden on a wing? I know he's played the majority of his footy down off half back, but is a beautiful kick of the ball and could really be a great outside distributor through midfield if he worked up the legs to do it. Seems like on the outer at the Lions and they dont seem to concerned to let him go.

or move salem up, has that size to play the narrow wing on the inside like vanders, tomlinson, jones, brayshaw tried but can also hit a kick and move in space

45 minutes ago, A F said:

What are you talking about? So we're overrating our list by trying to improve it? What would you prefer we did? Sit on our hands? Seriously. Ridiculous stuff.

coz we're topping up with 33yo veterans and we think we are gonna find improvements from within. we gotta go for the big fish in their primes. that's what im saying.

1 minute ago, Turner said:

or move salem up, has that size to play the narrow wing on the inside like vanders, tomlinson, jones, brayshaw tried but can also hit a kick and move in space

Yep 100%, thought the same myself right after I posted. Another good half back flanker could allow Salem to move up further afield where we can use his kick much better.

4 minutes ago, Turner said:

coz we're topping up with 33yo veterans and we think we are gonna find improvements from within. we gotta go for the big fish in their primes. that's what im saying.

Isaac Smith (who I assume you're talking about) is currently 31 and we don't have the money for a "big fish".

Also, we're only going after 1x Isaac Smith, so not sure where your 'topping up with veterans' comment comes from.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Turner said:

We have two AA mids under 25. We have Viney, Brayshaw and Harmes in support. We had a very strong defence. We need to improve our forwardline. A KPF that can kick a regular bag. A dangerous small to compliment Kozzie and we need run and carry with good ball use. Smith and Polec fit that bill. It's addressing needs. Not topping up.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, A F said:

We have two AA mids under 25. We have Viney, Brayshaw and Harmes in support. We had a very strong defence. We need to improve our forwardline. A KPF that can kick a regular bag. A dangerous small to compliment Kozzie and we need run and carry with good ball use. Smith and Polec fit that bill. It's addressing needs. Not topping up.

20 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

Isaac Smith (who I assume you're talking about) is currently 31 and we don't have the money for a "big fish".

Also, we're only going after 1x Isaac Smith, so not sure where your 'topping up with veterans' comment comes from.

smith is 32 before next season starts. so we have probably 1 year out of him 2 if we're lucky, no offence but i cant see us winning the flag in the next two years as heartbreaking as it is to admit it. Our defence isnt as strong as everyone thinks. Hibbo and Nev are winding down, we are still one tall short coz lever isnt big enough and tomlinson is makeshift (tmac should be played here) and we have 10 mid range players that arent up to it every week they play. theres no way geelong can find 750k to throw at cameron with the list they've got and we cant even have a conversation with anyone apart from the two players most desperate to find a list for next year whilst we way up whether certain players deserve 15th chances to string two games together. 

smith is just looking for an extra pay day he doesn't care for premierships he knows he's gonna get games and not rot in the twos its irresponsible list management. ur giving him what he wants instead of doing the team thing which is signing a player to build consistency within the group. yeh its good press oh look 4 time premiership player! but so what. you're not allowed to complain when the same 5 players disappoint you week in week out if you're not prepared to be aggressive this time of year. theres a reason no one else is in for him its not smart recruiting. when goody rolls out the 'we've got a young exciting group' every presser remember that he added a 32yo instead of adding more young exciting talent. the only way u add smith is if jones goes but we know thats not happening

ik big rant maybe i'm missing the mark but i'm just frustrated that we talk ourselves up so much but continue fire blanks

RUTHLESS!! remember

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Turner said:

smith is 32 before next season starts. so we have probably 1 year out of him 2 if we're lucky, no offence but i cant see us winning the flag in the next two years as heartbreaking as it is to admit it. Our defence isnt as strong as everyone thinks. Hibbo and Nev are winding down, we are still one tall short coz lever isnt big enough and tomlinson is makeshift (tmac should be played here) and we have 10 mid range players that arent up to it every week they play. theres no way geelong can find 750k to throw at cameron with the list they've got and we cant even have a conversation with anyone apart from the two players most desperate to find a list for next year whilst we way up whether certain players deserve 15th chances to string two games together. 

smith is just looking for an extra pay day he doesn't care for premierships he knows he's gonna get games and not rot in the twos its irresponsible list management. ur giving him what he wants instead of doing the team thing which is signing a player to build consistency within the group. yeh its good press oh look 4 time premiership player! but so what. you're not allowed to complain when the same 5 players disappoint you week in week out if you're not prepared to be aggressive this time of year. theres a reason no one else is in for him its not smart recruiting. when goody rolls out the 'we've got a young exciting group' every presser remember that he added a 32yo instead of adding more young exciting talent. the only way u add smith is if jones goes but we know thats not happening

ik big rant maybe i'm missing the mark but i'm just frustrated that we talk ourselves up so much but continue fire blanks

RUTHLESS!! remember

Right. Let's break it down mate:

We need a mature winger. We don't have much to trade. We don't have much cap space. With the soft cap being reduced we also need more experience in vulnerable positions.

Isaac Smith is a mature winger, will cost us nothing in trade, will not be on a big contract, can provide onfield leadership.

Plus, he'll also be valuable for players Baker, Rivers, Jordon, ANB, vandenBerg, Salem & Hannan, all of whom we've either tried on a wing or could, in showing them what it requires.

You can't keep this rolling cycle of going to the draft over and over going and then wonder why you 1) Never really improve because the young players don't have quality mature players to learn from, and 2) Put up inconsistent performances because you're a young list that lacks the leadership and mature bodies to deliver every week.

And seriously, your comment "smith is just looking for an extra pay day he doesn't care for premierships" is absolute rubbish.

Draftees alone aren't going to change our fortunes. I would honestly question how long you've been a Melbourne supporter if you haven't already learned that the hard way.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, AaronDaveyChipsAndGravey said:

I quite like that idea. It might suit his outside-ish ways. Not sure what his tank's like and, being a Geelong boy, I'd expect that to be his first port of call. 

I just can't see Salem on the wing.

7 minutes ago, whatwhatsaywhat said:

smith will only be entering his 11th season ahead of the 2021 season

his age is not relevant imo; look at the mileage in his legs not the grey in his air

What absolutely magic objective reasoning. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Turner said:

no offence but i cant see us winning the flag in the next two years as heartbreaking as it is to admit it.

This is where you're going wrong.

At the end of 2018 Port finished 10th.  At the end of 2019 Port finished 10th again.  This year they finished 1st at the end of H&A.  I dare say you wouldn't have envisaged them winning the flag this year.  AND they may not, but clearly they're right in the thick of it.  Or Brisbane who were out of the 8 a couple of years ago and bottom 4 very recently.  Things can change very quickly, especially when there are very few great teams.

Who'd have thought the ageing Cats when they trudged off the MCG in 2018 after a loss to Melbourne would be in another prelim.  I thought they were old and cooked two years ago, but here they are.

To suggest a team with AA quality players in Gawn (2nd best ruck in the comp), Oliver (best young inside mid), Petracca (AA), and May (top 3 key defender), plus some quality support cast, can't win a flag in the next two years in a competition with barely a standout team is folly and the view of a myopic thinker.

It won't take much to turn this team into a top 4 contender.  

• Like 17

50 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

Isaac Smith is a mature winger, will cost us nothing in trade, will not be on a big contract, can provide onfield leadership.

If he costs us nothing then why not...but he will cost us a 2 year deal at least I would think.

Otherwise he would stay with the hawks.

I hope we don't offer another Lewis 3 year type deal though.

2 hours ago, Lord Nev said:

We need a mature winger. We don't have much to trade. We don't have much cap space. With the soft cap being reduced we also need more experience in vulnerable positions.

This concerns me if true.  Back when we acquired May in 2018 it was said we still had space to acquire another big fish with Gaff being the target. That was post re-signing McDonald which was done throughout the year. Where has all that gone? And if we are tight on salary cap space now, what chance do we have next year in re-signing Clarrie, Gawn and Salem not to mention Jackson and Weideman with a potential reduction in salary cap allowance?

Obviously I have no idea what goes on behind the scenes but can't help but feel we have mismanaged our list somewhat as we aren't competitive in acquiring services of players that would improve our 22. Both Saad and Williams would have been fantastic for us off the back half but we were barely in the conversation. And now it appears we have to break contracts just to be active in trade week.