Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Trade Targets

Flag Favourites 3019

On 9/26/2020 at 5:16 PM, Graeme Yeats' Mullet said:

Brayshaw is on the table 

Firm mail

And I think we'll be chasing a draft place over a player... (my view not the mail)

I hope not, as mentioned re Lions last night one of their strengths is Plenty of players to Rotate through the midfield. 
If our coaching panel can get midfield rotations and combinations right, having Trac, Oliver, Viney, Brayshaw, Sparrow and Harmes will be a big plus. 
Our playing talent has been used in the wrong positions way to often this year ! Causing imbalance And leading to a few losses!

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, D4Life said:

I hope not, as mentioned re Lions last night one of their strengths is Plenty of players to Rotate through the midfield. 
If our coaching panel can get midfield rotations and combinations right, having Trac, Oliver, Viney, Brayshaw, Sparrow and Harmes will be a big plus. 
Our playing talent has been used in the wrong positions way to often this year ! Causing imbalance And leading to a few losses!

This would be the last straw It tells me Goodwin has absolutely no idea

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kent said:

The commentators said having multiple Fresh players run through the middle Enabled them to catch the opposition midfielders on the defensive side, as they couldn’t chase as well as fresh players. Happened to Demon mids in a number of games.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WERRIDEE said:

Considering everybody is putting their best 22 I'll put one in.

B: SALEM, MAY, LEVER

HB: RIVERS, TOMLINSON, HIBBERD

C : LANGDON, PETRACCA, POLEC

HF: MELKSHAM, JACKSON, FRITSCH

F: PICKETT, B.BROWN, WEIDEMAN

FOLL: GAWN, OLIVER, VINEY

IC: BRAYSHAW, I.SMITH, LOCKHART, HUNT

EMERG: HARMES, VANDENBERG, SPARROW, BAKER

Hunt in for Melksham (when he plays well he would be in the team, this year he should have been dropped from about round 4)

Harmes takes Hunt spot

I Smith not needed if we get Polec

Not sure what smaller good forwards are available but would like Higgins from Tigers!

But I like Polec as will hopefully have North paying $250-$350 of his salary

Brown also probably available at 4-500k

Leaves salary cap for Trac, Oliver getting an extra 200k each in salary.
Also hoping TMac dropping 5-10kg can find some speed and agility who might make it back!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kent said:

33 minutes ago, D4Life said:

The commentators said having multiple Fresh players run through the middle Enabled them to catch the opposition midfielders on the defensive side, as they couldn’t chase as well as fresh players. Happened to Demon mids in a number of games.

This is why I can't understand people thinking we should trade any of established mids, especially if we think we're finals bound 

42 minutes ago, DemonLad5 said:

I’d consider dealing Brayshaw or Oliver if it means we have the cap space and currency to bring someone  of high quality in the door..

You are kidding? Trade Oliver? Wow. I don't think you'll ever come back from that.

• Like 15
  • Love 1
  • Facepalm 1

Would add a couple of names from the list of guys without contracts who I think we should look at:

1. Brett Bewley - a cheaper, younger running wing option to Polec and Smith

2. Oscar Clavarino - key defender who trained at the club in the afl academy days, could swap one Oscar key defender out for another 

21 hours ago, Rednblueriseing said:

This is why I can't understand people thinking we should trade any of established mids, especially if we think we're finals bound 

What if the team dynamics improve to such a degree that lesser players elevate themselves and become established... IE Bring in a KPF forward with a Brayshaw pick and suddenly small forwards and half forwards improve. Kick more goals from  lesser entries and your inside mids get more of a centre square look in with some momentum and less fatigue. Take into account the flow on effects of getting the right trade in.

Who knows, Someone like Sparrow, Harmes or someone else could instantly replace Brayshaw with a team playing well. Wouldn't we like to find more suprise packets from our list or draft recruits? It only comes about through opportunity. Plenty of late picks or rookies throughout the AFL have elevated and established themselves. 

How stale if we had the same midfield in 3 years time. Can guarantee we'll be in the same place on the ladder, age development or not. 

Maybe the club has its eye on a freo first round pick and knows with absolute certainty that the midfielder they have their eye on, will out perform Brayshaws '2019-20 output immediately, and have a higher ceiling than Brayshaws 2018 in 3 years time. Could be a bigger sunk cost fallacy risk to persist with Brayshaw.

Edited by John Demonic

Jay Clark on triple M yesterday said that Melbourne will be active this trade period and we've got our eyes set on Jared Polec and Isaac Smith as our main targets.

Ben Brown was brought up as a discussion and both Nathan Brown and Joey Montanga both agreed that Brown should be our main priority. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, John Demonic said:

What if the team dynamics improve to such a degree that lesser players elevate themselves and become established... IE Bring in a KPF forward with a Brayshaw pick and suddenly small forwards and half forwards improve. Kick more goals from  lesser entries and your inside mids get more of a centre square look in with some momentum and less fatigue. Take into account the flow on effects of getting the right trade in.

Who knows, Someone like Sparrow, Harmes or someone else could instantly replace Brayshaw with a team playing well. Wouldn't we like to find more suprise packets from our list or draft recruits? It only comes about through opportunity. Plenty of late picks or rookies throughout the AFL have elevated and established themselves. 

How stale if we had the same midfield in 3 years time. Can guarantee we'll be in the same place on the ladder, age development or not. 

Maybe the club has its eye on a freo first round pick and knows with absolute certainty that the midfielder they have their eye on, will out perform Brayshaws '2019-20 output immediately, and have a higher ceiling than Brayshaws 2018 in 3 years time. Could be a bigger sunk cost fallacy risk to persist with Brayshaw.

I like and understand alot of your comments but I also see alot of big IF's in there... don't forget we were the youngest side in the prelims and with proper development should have gotten better 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, A F said:

You are kidding? Trade Oliver? Wow. I don't think you'll ever come back from that.

Not saying I want this, but would you trade Clarry for GWS Kelly? I ask this because every player has a price, for the individual and the club 

• Facepalm 1

3 minutes ago, Moonshadow said:

Not saying I want this, but would you trade Clarry for GWS Kelly? I ask this because every player has a price, for the individual and the club 

Oliver's been better through his career, is less injury prone, and has a higher ceiling 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, adonski said:

Oliver's been better through his career, is less injury prone, and has a higher ceiling 

I disagree, but it would be fair to say that Kelly fits our needs for a highly skilled outside mid more than Clarry does atm

Besides, my point was that IMO Oliver is not untradable

Edited by Moonshadow
  • Facepalm 2

2 hours ago, John Demonic said:

I wouldn't guarantee that outcome at all.  There's a lot of improvement in our relatively young midfield over the next few years.

I'm not against making incremental change. I can see some value in trading Harmes for a player that suits our needs. I would be fine with moving Viney or Brayshaw if we could net Merrett. But I wouldn't do both.

I think our current midfield has the potential to be flag quality.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Moonshadow said:

No, no I wouldn't.

There wouldn't be a realistic price you could pay to trade Oliver. And it certainly wouldn't be Kelly, who IMV is no better than Salem on recent form.

Oliver is an incredibly durable player. Since his first season, he hasn't missed a game. You watch when we don't have him. Our midfield will be nowhere. Fast becoming the most underrated player in the competition.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Moonshadow said:

I disagree, but it would be fair to say that Kelly fits our needs for a highly skilled outside mid more than Clarry does atm

Besides, my point was that IMO Oliver is not untradable

Completely disagree. Oliver's a far better player off his 4 seasons in the game than Kelly's 6 seasons. Oliver is our Sam Mitchell. Our gun extractor. You can say what you like about their disposal comparison, but Kelly struggles to win his own ball, particularly in recent times.

Oliver is untradeable.

Edited by A F
  • Like 9
  • Love 1

15 minutes ago, Moonshadow said:

Happy to disagree. Don't get me wrong, certainly don't want him traded, but I'd say Trac and May are our only untradable players at the mo

Occasionally I try to take these off

20201004_151030.jpg

Each to their own mate, except if we're talking about wearing red and blue coloured glasses, I think you can take out the red and blue lenses and put some prescription lenses in, because even contemplating trading Oliver is absurd.

Edited by A F
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, A F said:

Each to their own mate, except if we're talking about wearing red and blue coloured glasses, I think you can take out the red and blue lenses and put some prescription lenses in, because even contemplating trading Oliver is absurd.

Ha! Here I am:

20201004_152032.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Moonshadow said:

No.

Wouldn't even think twice about it.

Oliver is elite. Even if you think Kelly is elite (and IMO he has elite talent but doesn't consistently produce it), you don't just trade away your elite talent.

I disagree with the notion that every player has a price. The idea that clubs are so soulless that if some sort of ridiculous offer was proposed, a club would just [censored] off their elite talent in the supposedly never-ending quest to get more elite talent. IMO, it's silly, and not just a matter of me wearing red/blue coloured glasses either.

• Like 3

Just now, Moonshadow said:

Steven May

No, for the right offer i'd trade Steven May. would take a pretty incredible offer but i think we're being too lose on the term untradable. 

Clarry and Trac are going to be two of the dominant mids in the comp for the next decade and i can't see us trading our captain

But if a really good offer came for May i'd look at it. 

• Shocked 1

1 minute ago, Patches O’houlihan said:

No, for the right offer i'd trade Steven May. would take a pretty incredible offer but i think we're being too lose on the term untradable. 

Clarry and Trac are going to be two of the dominant mids in the comp for the next decade and i can't see us trading our captain

But if a really good offer came for May i'd look at it. 

I would not trade May. He cares about winning and losing.

I would not trade Langdon.

• Like 3