Jump to content

  • Podcast:      

  • Podcast:      

Finals 2020


Demonland
 Share


Recommended Posts

20 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

No it’s not a waste, but it is a Failed year

We as a Club have to suck it up AND LEARN FROM IT, rather than walking away from it and/or blaming injuries

 

When you fail at something, you waste an opportunity.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ham said:

Absolutely none of that correlates to the unintelligent line 'wasted year'. 

You clearly prefer to look at things through a pessimistic glass, not a realistic one.

whats unintelligent about it.. the output of the club has been far less than what was expected, therefore its wasted. Its not pessimistic, its reality.. its ok to be real about things. We have wasted an opportunity to be a better football club and a football side. We have recruited to play finals and win finals and win premierships, we are not dong that this year. Its wasted. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites


2 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

No i disagree. This Club has not been ready, since Goodwin refused to acknowledge the 2018 Preliminary Final. 
We are not tough enough to win the games we MUST win

 

its semantics mate and im not trying to start an argument. I 100% agree with you about the prelim, I just think we wasted an opportunity after 2018.. we have now wasted an opportunity to get a lot better off the back of 2019, and as was raised last week, why are we not better? Failed / Wastyed.. at the end of the day the club has not progressed since 2018, its gone backwards. And that worries me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Demon3 said:

its semantics mate and im not trying to start an argument. I 100% agree with you about the prelim, I just think we wasted an opportunity after 2018.. we have now wasted an opportunity to get a lot better off the back of 2019, and as was raised last week, why are we not better? Failed / Wastyed.. at the end of the day the club has not progressed since 2018, its gone backwards. And that worries me.

Yes we wasted a very big opportunity after 2018 and then the Club rewarded Goodwin with an extension. 
WE DON’T LEARN so i don’t call it a waste

We have to learn before we can waste

The Power will waste a year if they don’t win the Flag

There is a big difference between the meanings of both words

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Yes we wasted a very big opportunity after 2018 and then the Club rewarded Goodwin with an extension. 
WE DON’T LEARN so i don’t call it a waste

We have to learn before we can waste

The Power will waste a year if they don’t win the Flag

There is a big difference between the meanings of both words

we can agree to disagree, i think we have wasted so many opportunities to be a better club that ultimately its the reason for failure. Moving on though.. who knows, we might somehow make teh finals and win one.. it would be peak Demons.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Demon3 said:

we can agree to disagree, i think we have wasted so many opportunities to be a better club that ultimately its the reason for failure. Moving on though.. who knows, we might somehow make teh finals and win one.. it would be peak Demons.

This Club has had so many opportunities 

They refused to employ Sheedy as Coach in 2008 and went the cheap option 

You reap what you sow

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's a bit over-the-top IMO that interstate teams have had to cede home-ground advantage in the past due to contractual agreements with the MCG and now they're suddenly accommodating the Vic teams with this nomination process in this bizarro season.

Anyway, completely hypothetical, but for example if we finished above and drew Brisbane do you think we'd nominate Adelaide Oval, where we do have a good record but would add even more travel, and would people on here want that to be the choice?  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Demon3 said:

whats unintelligent about it.. the output of the club has been far less than what was expected, therefore its wasted. Its not pessimistic, its reality.. its ok to be real about things. We have wasted an opportunity to be a better football club and a football side. We have recruited to play finals and win finals and win premierships, we are not dong that this year. Its wasted. 

Because we finished 17th in 2019. Any expectation you had was optimism, not realism. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The year the dogs won the flag they played freo in the last game and lost. They played WC in the elim and won and we all know what happened from there.

So if the dogs lose again to freo and we make it then we can beat the eagles and go on and win the flag. I have unlocked the crossword.

Conversely the dogs lose to freo but we get done by drugs and the saints win their game. Same scenario as 2016.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Skuit said:

Anyway, completely hypothetical, but for example if we finished above and drew Brisbane do you think we'd nominate Adelaide Oval, where we do have a good record but would add even more travel, and would people on here want that to be the choice?  

Was the home team choice for the hubbing Vic teams to play anywhere in the non-COVID hotspot country (ie: Brisbane, Adelaide, Perth) or just a choice between the Gabba and Metricon?

I doubt the AFL would let teams a Vic team drag Brisbane across the nullabor to Perth. Maybe Adelaide but not Perth. Having said that I also doubt the AFL would let you take their darling host the Lions away from Queensland.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Demonland said:

Was the home team choice for the hubbing Vic teams to play anywhere in the non-COVID hotspot country (ie: Brisbane, Adelaide, Perth) or just a choice between the Gabba and Metricon?

I doubt the AFL would let teams a Vic team drag Brisbane across the nullabor to Perth. Maybe Adelaide but not Perth. Having said that I also doubt the AFL would let you take their darling host the Lions away from Queensland.

According to everything I've read a Vic or any other 'home' team could choose either the Gabba, Metricon or AO as its venue - current Covid state regulations permitting and with the AFL reserving the right to final say. It's a safe offering however with Brisbane having secured second spot. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Demon3 said:

When you fail at something, you waste an opportunity.

When you fail at something you are given an opportunity to learn from it. I've always found whatever I've done in life I have learned a hell of a lot more from "mistakes" and "fails" than I have from my successes. 

Yes this year is an opportunity to build and be better, if those in charge and with influence are able to do so then 2020 will be a fail but not a waste. Big IF though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Pates said:

When you fail at something you are given an opportunity to learn from it. I've always found whatever I've done in life I have learned a hell of a lot more from "mistakes" and "fails" than I have from my successes. 

Yes this year is an opportunity to build and be better, if those in charge and with influence are able to do so then 2020 will be a fail but not a waste. Big IF though.

Thats all well and good, but 2019 was a fail, we failed in every aspect of the club, poor preparation, poor performance, and if we dont make the finals, we have wasted a year. it can actually be both, a failed and a wasted year. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Ham said:

Because we finished 17th in 2019. Any expectation you had was optimism, not realism. 

Dont tell me what i thought, i was real about our expectations, that was to make finals, because that's what the club had set them selves up for, that was the messaging and our list suggested we should not only play finals, but have an impact. That we would bounce back from a year like 2018 where we failed, that was the year we failed, this year its been a waste, we have wasted opportunities, it cant be any clearer, 4 matches that we should have won, we wasted, therefore, we will likely miss finals, therefore,  the club has wasted the opportunity to be better. Optimism would be people hoping we dont have a bad year. 

Anyway, i think we are not going to agree and thats cool, but i think we both agree either way a failed year or a wasted year, its disappointing not to be in a better position.

Edited by Demon3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Demon3 said:

Dont tell me what i thought, i was real about our expectations, that was to make finals, because that's what the club had set them selves up for, that was the messaging and our list suggested we should not only play finals, but have an impact. That we would bounce back from a year like 2018 where we failed, that was the year we failed, this year its been a waste, we have wasted opportunities, it cant be any clearer, 4 matches that we should have won, we wasted, therefore, we will likely miss finals, therefore,  the club has wasted the opportunity to be better. Optimism would be people hoping we dont have a bad year. 

Anyway, i think we are not going to agree and thats cool, but i think we both agree either way a failed year or a wasted year, its disappointing not to be in a better position.

You should spend a day on the inner of an elite sporting club and see how your mindset is received.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Ham said:

You should spend a day on the inner of an elite sporting club and see how your mindset is received.

Lol.. relax a bit and let it go Hammy, you can have your opinion and ill have mine. Its fine, Melbourne Football Club have wasted this year and you are wasting my time.

Go dees.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's not a failed year if we don't make finals but we won't have met our objectives for the season should things not pan out for us this weekend. Considering we've had a dream run on the injury front compared to some I think we would all agree that 2020 will still have had some very disappointing aspects to it. Frustrating things that the football department seem to have been working on forever yet still haven't rectified. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Positives: May, Trac, recruitment, the draftees and Burgess

Negatives: miss finals (probably), inconsistent effort, midfield mix, forward set-up, forward half pressure, goal kicking, Tmac

Ultimately, I think we’re underachieving based on the talent at our disposal so for me, no finals means a wasted year

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Rab D Nesbitt said:

It's not a failed year if we don't make finals but we won't have met our objectives for the season should things not pan out for us this weekend. Considering we've had a dream run on the injury front compared to some I think we would all agree that 2020 will still have had some very disappointing aspects to it. Frustrating things that the football department seem to have been working on forever yet still haven't rectified. 

Looking forward to the reasoned post season analysis. My thoughts are we need to divide the season into blocks with the first block being recognition of the 2019 base.

Another week to go but my present feeling is that we went forward in 2020 but by nowhere near as much as we should have.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Better days ahead said:

Positives: May, Trac, recruitment, the draftees and Burgess

Negatives: miss finals (probably), inconsistent effort, midfield mix, forward set-up, forward half pressure, goal kicking, Tmac

Ultimately, I think we’re underachieving based on the talent at our disposal so for me, no finals means a wasted year

Reasonable points, but will our year suddenly not be wasted if we beat bombers and other results go our way?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Looking forward to the reasoned post season analysis. My thoughts are we need to divide the season into blocks with the first block being recognition of the 2019 base.

Another week to go but my present feeling is that we went forward in 2020 but by nowhere near as much as we should have.

Hi DJ. Having our three main draft picks become walk up starts in their first season is the big plus for me. Ed Langdon has been another so a big tick for the recruiters. Petracca coming of age and Viney reaping the benefits of an uninterrupted preseason have been pleasant surprises. Maysie has been immense and with him as our lynchpin in defence we now have the makings of a very stable back 6 or 7 in place. 

Bringing Burgess into the football department has been really beneficial as we've seen with the rehabilitation of Bennell and the good management of AvB. According to recent interviews he's also been attributed to psychological changes both on and off the field with Trac and May to name just two. 

One thing that disappoints is how in all the time it has taken us to get to this point a side like Brisbane have gone from a complete basket case to consistent premiership contenders and both the dogs and saints seem to have crept ahead of us, at least in the win / loss column. It's also a little soul destroying to see how Collingwood can have a finals position already sewn up despite having many of their key players missing for most of the season. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, sue said:

Reasonable points, but will our year suddenly not be wasted if we beat bombers and other results go our way?

Kick one more goal against Geelong or Brisbane and the year is not 'wasted'. Results don't go our way (and results going a team's way is always a factor in the bottom half of the eight) and our year is apparently wasted. It's a seriously thin wedge. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    CAT SKINNING by George On The Outer

    When they defeated the Geelong Cats in the 2021 AFL Preliminary Final on Friday night in Perth, Melbourne proved that there is more than one way to skin those cats.  They did it in the ruck and in the middle, they did it in the forward line, they did it in defence and around the ground, but importantly, each and every player a Demon guernsey spent his night at Optus Stadium skinning an opponent. Following the after-the-siren win against Geelong in Round 23, there was an expectation of

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE POINTY END by The Oracle

    The AFL’s two oldest clubs, Melbourne and Geelong, face off on Friday evening in a sudden death Preliminary Final. It’s a game that promises plenty in terms of fascination and intrigue as a result of the rivalry that’s been building between the teams over recent encounters that have been tight struggles which have gone to the wire with two of them decided by after-the-siren goals. The added touch of mystery attached to this week’s meeting comes by virtue of the fact that it’s going to take

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE VFL YEAR THAT NEVER WAS by KC from Casey

    The rising case numbers and the continuing lockdowns in Victoria and NSW spelled doom for the 2021 VFL season which went through a slow, painful demise before its recent official cancellation. After weeks of indecision, the AFL decided to pull the plug on the season with the 10-0 Bulldogs recognised as minor premier, but without a premiership cup and without awarding the J.J. Liston Medal for the best and fairest VFL player. It was somewhat fortuitous for the integrity of the competition t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    TAMING THE LIONS by George On The Outer

    With nine finals debutants in the side, the Melbourne Football Club had a daunting assignment ahead of it in the First Qualifying Final — to overcome the competition’s highest scoring side, the Brisbane Lions. In the end, the Demons accomplished the task by putting the bite on their opponents on their way to taming the Lions and recording a 33 point win that propelled them into one the two Preliminary Finals of 2021.   It was one of those debutants, Luke Jackson, who put the bite in more

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    RETURN TO NEVERLAND by Whispering Jack

    The greatest Demon A HIGHWAY OF DEMONS by Whispering Jack CHAPTER SIXTEEN - RETURN TO NEVERLAND  I have a six year old grandson who recently took up the family tradition of following the Demons. He had his first taste of the game a few years ago when he went to the “G” with his parents to watch the 107-point massacre of Carlton and he went to another game in the following season which was also a W for the Dees. But his appetite for the club has grown exponentially this year and wh

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 13

    METAMORPHOSIS by Whispering Jack

    I’ve always believed that when the home and away matches come to an end, the football season takes on a completely different shape and character. During the regular season, each team’s goals progress as the weeks pass and if you’re good enough to survive and make the grade, the situation changes. The comparison can be made with the life cycle of a butterfly going through stages from egg to larva to caterpillar, cocoon and in the end to a bright and colourful creature that emerges from darkness i

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    STEALING THE CATS’ CREAM by George On The Outer

    They were leading by 44 points well into the third quarter of a game to decide the minor premier, having kicked nine unanswered goals. The Cats were about to lap up their bowl of cream, dreaming of next week but the Demons led by Max Gawn had other ideas. In a stunning finish, they stole the game from under them to claim the plaudits as best team and top of ladder position. In a remarkable game, it all came down to Max having to kick the winning goal after the final siren, something which s

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SKIN THE CATS by Whispering Jack

    The task ahead for the Demons as they wend their way down the Princes Freeway to Geelong on Saturday night will be to skin the Cats. For them to come away with the points from this game would mark an historic occasion for the club as it will finish on top of the ladder for the first time since its last premiership year, 1964. And it was in that year, that a trip to Corio Bay to meet the reigning premiers in Round 12, was one of the catalysts for Melbourne’s surge to the flag. It was a top o

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    REACH FOR THE STARS by George on the Outer

    It was a game of great significance for the Melbourne Football Club. A win would see them keep top spot on the ladder with one round remaining. To achieve top place in the Round for Reach when we are all inspired to “Be Like Jim” and reach for the stars was a great way of honouring one of our heroes. All the better given that it was done by way of an emphatic 41 point win against Adelaide! It is worth remembering that, but for the umpiring mistake in the previous encounter with the Crows, t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    TICKETS PLEASE by The Oracle

    A lot of water has passed under Princes Bridge in the five years since Melbourne last met Adelaide on the MCG. The Crows were riding high at the time while the Demons were mid-table and scrambling for a win to stay in the race for the finals. The 30,000 fans who had tickets to the game were thoroughly entertained by a close, high scoring affair that ended in tears for fans of the home team. Not even an eight-goal second term could help them.   Times have changed.    In the fi

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    ELECTRIFYING by George On The Outer

    What more can they throw at the Demons of 2021? Covid restrictions, hubs, aircraft circling between airports before landing for games and now a match stopped for 30 minutes to give a flagging opponent its second wind? To date, none of those distractions has swayed the team from their winning objectives. The game against West Coast in Perth can be marked on their report card as another positive outcome after yet another test. There was much at stake for both sides.  Melbourne had t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    LONG AGO AND FAR AWAY by Whispering Jack

    When the combatants that are due to face off on Monday night at Optus Stadium last met, it was 11 days after the World Health Organization had declared the Covid19 outbreak a global pandemic. In Australia, the first cases had just come to light, including visiting US actors Tom Hanks and wife Rita Wilson, the toilet paper panic was in full flight and the world was starting to reel in anticipation of impending disaster. Half an hour before this last game of the opening round was due to comme

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...