Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Isaac Smith

Lord Nev

9 minutes ago, Nascent said:

Nothing official as far as I'm aware but they seem the likely destination. From a players perspective Geelong would be more appealing for a shot at a premiership and that's probably what he's after at his age. Still, if Goodwin is desperate and looking for missing pieces to roll the dice on a potential premiership in 2021 then Higgin in the forward half in place of ANB or Hannan must be enticing.

I'd go for Higgins too, but depends what you're battling in terms of contract versus other clubs.

I'd be happy with Smith and Polec.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Turner said:

yeah i see that, but if polec, smith and phillips are available all for a 3rd rounder who r u taking?

Smith is 33 before next season starts and we want to give him two years, pace and length of kick is the first thing you lose as u get older, just ask jonesy.

Yeah, the age thing is definitely a consideration.

For what's its worth, I'd have Phillips, Smith then Polec but deals don't happen in a vacuum. You take the option that works in relation to all the other deals you're trying to get done.

3 minutes ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

Another no-brainer. Played his first AFL game at 22, comes from a successful club and fills a need for us. For the posters who are against this, I’d like to know what their realistic answer is for our ‘wing’ issue? 

It involves getting back Frost from the Hawks, or Kent from the Saints

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Gone from ‘above average’ winger to ‘average’ for the last 2 years (AFL.com ratings) Maybe it is part of the decline of the dorks, but is he really best available?  A three year deal speaks of dad’s army, not ruthless.  Give him a year with clauses Up to 3 and an iced vovo.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, buck_nekkid said:

Gone from ‘above average’ winger to ‘average’ for the last 2 years (AFL.com ratings) Maybe it is part of the decline of the dorks, but is he really best available?  A three year deal speaks of dad’s army, not ruthless.  Give him a year with clauses Up to 3 and an iced vovo.

Wingmen rely on a strong contested ball and clearance midfield mix so Hawthorn's decline as a side over the years has obviously made life harder for Smith.

Smith's output would be immediately boosted if he came to us given our strength in winning it at the coal face.

• Like 5

53 minutes ago, JimmyGadson said:

Wingmen rely on a strong contested ball and clearance midfield mix so Hawthorn's decline as a side over the years has obviously made life harder for Smith.

Smith's output would be immediately boosted if he came to us given our strength in winning it at the coal face.

Do mids get the ball to wingers much these days? Rarely at centre bounces. Maybe less so at around the ground stoppages where the winger often covers the back.

Backlines that win the ball get it to wingers folding back. May had an instant connection with Langdon. And forwards that create pressure so hack kicks go to the waiting wingmen too. 

The biggest appeal to Smith could be that second scenario. Langdon either marked or had the ball running inside 50 enough times to kick 10+ goals this year. He finished with 2 goals 8. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Laughing Goat said:

This is surely a joke right.....

A great player in his heyday, but go with a 1 year or just move on. The risk factor is high & we are no where near a premiership window.

Go with youth.

This.

15 hours ago, whatwhatsaywhat said:

smith is a 'costless' pick up this season - if he joins us, it's as a free agent, thus not weakening our draft positioning one iota

Absolute no brainer.

We need players who can assist us to win games right now. We made a prelim in 2018, and our core has only matured since then. We haven't got an indefinite window to make, and then win, finals. 

If we don't win a flag with this crop (or, at least, consistently come very close over the next few years), we're just inept. We've had 2 years of vapid under-performance since 2018 - yet we've got 4 players who were right in the mix for AA contention this year: Gawn, Petracca, Oliver, May. I'm sure several other coaches would love to have this list.

Surely we must be aiming for top 4 next year. Smith, if used properly, will only assist in achieving this.

He's a consistent, proven performer, who'll only make us better. In fact, I can't believe there's any debate about this to be honest. We'll be lucky to prise him out of the Hawks, but I'll be stoked if we do.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Laughing Goat said:

This is surely a joke right.....

A great player in his heyday, but go with a 1 year or just move on. The risk factor is high & we are no where near a premiership window.

Go with youth.

I'm sorry - but we're not North Melbourne. Our window is actually right now.

We were in the conversation for a potential top 4 spot prior to the opening round. We've just under-performed over the last 2 years.

• Like 6

Just not feeling it... I hope that, if it does pan-out, that he costs us very little and that he earns his spot in the team.
Vince and Lewis were playing games well past their used by date and I hope the presence of Smith breeds competition for spots and not complacency.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Absolute no brainer.

We need players who can assist us to win games right now. We made a prelim in 2018, and our core has only matured since then. We haven't got an indefinite window to make, and then win, finals. 

If we don't win a flag with this crop (or, at least, consistently come very close over the next few years), we're just inept. We've had 2 years of vapid under-performance since 2018 - yet we've got 4 players who were right in the mix for AA contention this year: Gawn, Petracca, Oliver, May. I'm sure several other coaches would love to have this list.

Surely we must be aiming for top 4 next year. Smith, if used properly, will only assist in achieving this.

He's a consistent, proven performer, who'll only make us better. In fact, I can't believe there's any debate about this to be honest. We'll be lucky to prise him out of the Hawks, but I'll be stoked if we do.

100% agree Ron. We have to go now, we cant waste more years while we have a-grade talent in their prime. Top up, get what we need, spend the money, lets play finals every year. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Hannibal Inc. said:

I let list managers concern themselves with the terms.  As a supporter I've never worried about how long someone gets, but obviously others do.  I just want a better team.  Smith on an opposite wing to Langdon makes us better.  That's all I care about.  He's got the Kade Simpson type of frame and he played till he was 36.

We could win a flag next year (some might think it's impossible but I don't) and a guy like Smith would be of benefit in that quest.

And unlike others, I don't rate Baker at all.  Yes, he kicked a couple of good goals, but in general his skills are nothing more than ordinary and he's on the soft side.  He won't be a regular in any best 22 moving forward.

I would love to see you eat those words Hannibal.....

1 minute ago, Half forward flank said:

I would like Smith to come to us but there is something very sad that seven years after Roos and Jackson got things going we need a player like him for both outside run and the experience he will bring to the Club. 

Spot on HFF. I will die on a hill that getting Lever in when we should have prioritised outside run was so costly, financially and team balance wise. Anyway, that argument wont ever be won. Lets not wait unto next year and say right lets go after some more outside run. If Smith has a good year and we make finals, then teh investment is worth it. Have to roll the dice now.

2021 is such a crucial year for this club and its main players. Pert has done well convincing sponsorship to stay on and we are in a sound position, but they wont stay if all we get is negative media fuelled by sub standard performance. Star players will chase success if they dont get it at our club, the coach will be sacked if we get to a stage where its mathematically impossible to make the 8 or earlier if performances are worse. There is more pressure on us as club than any other going into 2021 in my opinion.,

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Half forward flank said:

I would like Smith to come to us but there is something very sad that seven years after Roos and Jackson got things going we need a player like him for both outside run and the experience he will bring to the Club. 

Were Hawthorn supporters crying after they recruited a 31yo Brian Lake and then he played in 3 consecutive flags?

Edited by Pollyanna
  • Like 4

On 10/12/2020 at 5:28 PM, Gorgoroth said:

Cannot give him 3, it would be madness.

That is what I thought about Lewis and we ended up getting 2 good years and a reasonable third year. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

He’s been a quality player and provided great service to Hawthorn. I just wonder why they’re only offering him 2 years. I guess with Yze back in the fold and a proper medical we should have the information and intel we need to make a considered call on his fitness and length of contract.

• Like 3