Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POSTGAME: Rd 17 vs GWS

Demonland

8 hours ago, Wiseblood said:

That's a bloke who knows that the job isn't done.  That's the maturity we want.  Be happy with the win, but we need to focus on next week very quickly.

Nailed it. There's a player whose not satisfied and maybe still hurting from last week. I call that professional and understanding the task at hand still.

But I loved the elation of Steven May after his emotions of last week. The club will make the finals if he has anything to do with it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nascent said:

Just wanted to say I thought those Jumpers looked outstanding tonight. Good bit of nostalgia with that logo representing the Dee's of my childhood. Looking forward to my jumper arriving this week. We've put together some cracker jumpers recently including all the indigenous designs as well as the MFC insignia one. Think my new Covid lockdown hobby is to collect them all and frame them. Not sure my girlfriend will be happy when I put them up all over the house :laugh:

Took the nuffy channel 7 commentators until second 1/2 game to know what they were for.

• Like 1

Win lose or draw, wasn't it nice watching a proper game of footy again? No stupid breeze, no torrential rain at inopportune times, just two teams going at it. I know Freo and Sydney were playing in the same conditions as us so can't be excused for the two losses, but AFL footy should never be played in Cairns again. Not up to standard.

• Like 7

Props to Jack Viney for questioning the umpires.  Overheard him just before half time saying something like "He is just trying to bash/hurt our players".  The umpire responded they would check the tapes at half time.  No guesses as to who he was in fact talking about. Thugford played well overall though and really did his best to rough us up.  Respect to the whole team for standing up under pressure at different stages.  Very few passengers, was super proud of the team and even moreso the team effort.

• Like 9

The center bounce mids set up seemed to be Oliver, Petracca, Melksham and AvB for most of the game.  Viney had one clearance suggesting he had little time in the midfield which seems rather odd with Brayshaw out. 

If my observation is correct were we experimenting, if Viney goes?  As it turned out we went very well.

Does anyone have access to the 'Centre Bounce Attendance' stat?

• Like 1
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, titan_uranus said:

Except for when we got belted by Port.

I've said this in another thread, but I don't think Weid has played poorly at all, before tonight.

Tonight I felt he was outpositioned and unable to work his way into the contest.

However, we will go nowhere as a club without consistency forward of centre, and we can't rely on any two of Brown, Jackson and Weideman to do it. Weideman's got runs on the board and although he was poor tonight, he goes nowhere for mine.

Weid was crucified by us sitting the ball on his head last night, was in so many contests against 3-4 GWS players.

He’s clearly a confidence player and GWS went after him physically to get him off his game.

At least he can be involved in marking contests, unlike T-Mac

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well done Wise

You a few others saw the talent in Rivers after his first gsme for us.

He is going to take over Jettas role nicely.

A tough gig to do.

Although perhaps he should play up forward.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Demon17 said:

Nailed it. There's a player whose not satisfied and maybe still hurting from last week. I call that professional and understanding the task at hand still.

But I loved the elation of Steven May after his emotions of last week. The club will make the finals if he has anything to do with it.

Unfortunately for us that is mostly out of our hands. Sure we have to beat Essendon but not sure we can loan him out to Hawthorn or Fremantle to assist them against the Doggies. 

Edited by Lefty
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Special mention to Joel Smith who shut down Elliot Himmelberg.  Kept him to 5 disposals and 0 goals. 

Exactly. So many folks want to tar and feather the guy. He has a role for us and as long as he isn’t jumping over may and lever I reckon he’s a keep. 
how good to wake up today with season alive, the young guns shining and goody so animated on the ground in the last qtr. the club showing they have a heartbeat and a future. 
now.... just gotta to  weid functioning again! 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Skuit said:

That moment where Trac won a midfield HTB and then just flat-out sprinted forward. He has become a smart footy-player alongside Oliver. They both now do things that will hardly ever be noticed or respected. Oliver again with three or four breath-taking in-close moments tonight. This is the best mid-field pairing we've ever had in my life-time following the Dees. 

When I saw that I couldn’t believe it was allowed, isn’t the free supposed to go to the player who won the free ie Trac should have been called back to take his free? Or was it an advantage play on? Even then I thought it had to be Trac to take the ball to take the advantage.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

The center bounce mids set up seemed to be Oliver, Petracca, Melksham and AvB for most of the game.  Viney had one clearance suggesting he had little time in the midfield which seems rather odd with Brayshaw out. 

If my observation is correct were we experimenting, if Viney goes?  As it turned out we went very well.

Does anyone have access to the 'Centre Bounce Attendance' stat?

I would say from observation that Viney was not quite 100%.  He took some big hits the week before! He seemed to be playing a half forward role with the license to roam, but not much further than half back.  Would need to look at his heat map to be entirely sure, but was definitely playing some new role.  Coaches should be doing quick handball drills with Viney and telling him to get the ball off much quicker, tries to take on way too much at times.  If he was Cripps size he might be able to get away with what he is trying to do.  Needs to play within his limitations more often and do the team things unerringly.  Love Viney but he needs to add layers to his game.  When Jack starts to add finesse he will become a great player, not just a bash and crash type.

Edited by NeveroddoreveN
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, BW511 said:

Weid was crucified by us sitting the ball on his head last night, was in so many contests against 3-4 GWS players.

He’s clearly a confidence player and GWS went after him physically to get him off his game.

At least he can be involved in marking contests, unlike T-Mac

Should we play him at chf so as to take advantage of his good marking?

8 hours ago, qwerty7 said:

I noticed this too. Was very short with the journos and dismissive of their questions. But I liked it!

Also loved seeing the passion from Goody on the boundary line in the dying seconds of the last quarter. Even though his normally rehearsed speeches don’t show it, the bloke does really care about the club and the players love him too. May said post-match that they all felt for Goody this week and wanted to perform for him tonight. A good sign as it shows the players are still buying the system and have belief in their coach. The pressure isn’t off Goodwin yet, but promising signs tonight.

I don’t know if I’ll survive next week, but today’s win was great. After two really poor performances, it was really important we bounced back tonight - finals or not.

Go Dees!

How good was it to see him on the boundary at the end, like a “football” manager pacing the sidelines. It looks like he should do it more often as he seems to get his message across better and faster to the group. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Pickett2Jackson said:

Hes much more attacking than Jetta,  and already kicking goals.

Isnt Jettas spot going to be taken by Lockhart?

I thought so but the poor bloke cant get a look in.

10 minutes ago, NeveroddoreveN said:

I would say from observation that Viney was not quite 100%.  He took some big hits the week before! He seemed to be playing a half forward role with the license to roam, but not much further than half back.  Would need to look at his heat map to be entirely sure, but was definitely playing some new role.  Coaches should be doing quick handball drills with Viney and telling him to get the ball off much quicker, tries to take on way too much at times.  If he was Cripps size he might be able to get away with what he is trying to do.  Needs to play within his limitations more often and do the team things unerringly.  Love Viney but he needs to add layers to his game.  When Jack starts to had finesse he will become a great player, not just a bash and crash type.

There in lies the problem.  I don't think he can change and it doesn't look like he wants to.  After 8 years he still has no right side, doesn't look for options and as you say doesn't do the team things.  Finesse?  I hate to say it but he is a 'brawn rather than brain' type player. 

Love his toughness but gee he costs the team in so many ways.  Not the least of which is his 'non team first' style of play sets a poor example, especially to younger team mates.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, leave it to deever said:

Well done Wise

You a few others saw the talent in Rivers after his first gsme for us.

He is going to take over Jettas role nicely.

A tough gig to do.

Although perhaps he should play up forward.

More likely Hibberd, Lockhart (if he's ever allowed out of the doghouse) will take Jetta's spot.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

There in lies the problem.  I don't think he can change and it doesn't look like he wants to.  After 8 years he still has no right side, doesn't look for options and as you say doesn't do the team things.  Finesse?  I hate to say it but he is a 'brawn rather than brain' type player. 

Love his toughness but gee he costs the team in so many ways.  Not the least of which is his style of play sets a poor example, especially to younger team mates.

Someone mentioned that some of the coaches thought our midfield was uncoachable.  Would not surprise me if that revolved around JV.  If there was any truth to it anyway!  See Clayton and Petracca as absolutely coachable.  Brayshaw also seems like a smart guy and although a bit lethargic at times totally coachable too.

• Like 4

I wonder what odds we would have gotten from Billy Brownless on Baker, Rivers and Spargo being our game high goal kickers? 1000/1?

All been said before but a great win by the boys. Rivers a very composed and focussed young player.

I'm glad everyone enjoyed the win but I'm not that enthused.

It was a club with no Brains beating a club with no heart and soul.

If we lost I wouldn't have been surprised in the slightest.

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, bing181 said:

Only in hindsight.

Brown was poor against Swans, and has been mediocre all year. Still, hope he can back it up against his old club, hard to see him getting dropped on that performance.

Perhaps you actually need a few games to find form.

1 minute ago, Biffen said:

I'm glad everyone enjoyed the win but I'm not that enthused.

It was a club with no Brains beating a club with no heart and soul.

If we lost I wouldn't have been surprised in the slightest.

GWS tried their guts out last night.  Much like us they had been pretty average the last few weeks and were not getting team efforts.  They looked a 10 goal better team on paper imo.  Had we played like last few weeks it would have got ugly.  We fought hard and more than anything it gives us hope for the future.  One of best games we played all year vs a decent opposition who turned up to play.  That in itself for MFC should enthuse you. 

• Like 5