Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Adam Saad

Lord Nev

Would that compelling compensation be similar to the future second round pick they gave Gold Coast to get him?  Posturing at best by Dodo, he's not a Free Agent, he just want's out.

• Like 2

Not unhappy with this. 

Dodoro asking for compelling compensation. Gee I wish Carlton had pick 1 in the preseason draft. This will get messy.  

Note to Dodoro - stop trying to win every single trade by the length of Flemington straight. Don't wait to the last half an hour of trade period to accept, maybe try and turn what Carlton give you into something else. Also nice work holding onto Joey D for another year. Worked out well. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Dodoro stuffed up Daniher's move and he's repeating the playbook for the Saad move.

Clubs have to remember that restraint of trade sits like the spector at the feast if they become impossible to deal with..

Saad is worth at best a first round pick towards the end of the round.

I'm not sure what attracts players to Carlton, but we've attracted our fair share of players recently.

Carlton's list profile is a bit skewed. They still have a group of best 22 players on the wrong side of 30 (Betts, Murphy, E Curnow and Casboult, whilst Jones will be 30 by Round 1 next year). They then have a bunch of players in the 25-29 bracket (Newnes, Docherty, Plowman, McGovern, Martin, Cripps).

That's half their 22 aged 25 and over. That's a list profile that should be screaming "premiership window right now", rather than a 7th consecutive year missing finals.

So it's not surprising that they're strongly chasing Williams and Saad. They should already be playing finals with this list.

• Like 2

Good player yes. $650k - $700k a season player? Give me a spell.

Good luck to Carlton. I’d love to see their books next year if they also manage to land Williams. They’ll be leaking players more than GWS in two years time.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, KLV said:

Why do so many key players want to go there? Williams, Saad and apparently Oliver, what’s the attraction?

The cynic in me might say it's purely money. However the way they played v Port shows they have an exciting brand that just needs a few tweaks, another year of development and some new recruits, like the Saints have shown. However don't underestimate Teague. Like Fagan, he comes across as a very approachable and naturally friendly person. Players might simply have developed a good connection in an interview not only with him, but with the vision he's sold them?

Edited by John Demonic

5 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

Williams tore Collingwood apart in a prelim this time a year ago, he would've been a full time midfielder at any club other than GWS.  Walsh is ready to move on ball - though they do need a wing replacement. For some odd reason Teague was more focussed on using Walsh's run to help the teams outside game rather than just releasing him as an inside beast. Cripps, Walsh, Williams is a great start to a midfield.

If Martin wants to be his best he'll rotate in. Saad they plan to use in the Kade Simpson sweeper role. If he gets 20 kicks a game up the ground rather than deep he's a core part of the team.

There's always enough cash to pay everyone. My concern for the Blues would be they've quickly accelerated their time line adding a pair of 26 year olds and their depth is shoddy.

Let's say Cripps, Walsh and Williams were to play mid together (and I'm not convinced Williams will), they've got Curnow as well and that's about it.

1 hour ago, Demonland said:

I don’t think he’s worth pick 7 but kind of agree with this.

if you’re willing to pay big bucks then you have to be willing to give up a first rounder. 

Really hope that Carlton do have to pay through the nose for him after they basically got Jack Martin for free.  I'd equally be ok with this all blowing up in the face of Essendon and Carlton,  with something similar happening this year and Sadd walking basically free in the preseason draft to say someone like North or Hawthorn who could scoop him up with their first pick in the preseason draft.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, John Demonic said:

The cynic in me might say it's purely money. However the way they played v Port shows they have an exciting brand that just needs a few tweaks, another year of development and some new recruits, like the Saints have shown. However don't underestimate Teague. Like Fagan, he comes across as a very approachable and naturally friendly person. Players might simply have developed a good connection in an interview not only with him, but with the vision he's sold them?

So for Carlton it's OK to cherry pick one game and say "oh they just need a few tweaks and some more development", but for us if we played one good game all year the response would be "one swallow doesn't make a summer" and "how long have we been waiting for this so-called development for"?

I guarantee if it was us who had lost late-season games, whilst in finals contention, to Collingwood (remember no one gives us any credit for beating an injury-depleted Collingwood), GWS (same deal) and Adelaide, no one on here would be referring to our "exciting brand" and no one on here would be suggesting we're just "a few tweaks" away from it.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Demonland said:

I don’t think he’s worth pick 7 but kind of agree with this.

if you’re willing to pay big bucks then you have to be willing to give up a first rounder. 

I wonder if that was a 'set play' by Tim and Garry to generate caller frenzy to sen? 

Ess gave up a 2nd round pick for him (mid-late 20's) just a few years ago and the Carlton offer is the same as the Ess off.  Not a strong case for paying overs in draft picks.

Carlton should approach Geelong and trade their #7 for Geelongs #13 and the yet to be determined #15 to #18 and offer that to Ess and cheekily ask for something back in return.

the big difference btw martin last year and saad this year is carltank can't push him through the psd - if they pick a fight with the peptides pretty clearly north will have the $$ to offer saad whatever he wants (including a car?)

i really don't think saad is THAT good but if two clubs are offering him $650k a year for multiple years he's clearly valued highly by two clubs

I just can't see how a club like Carlton can be luring players with big cash.  The TPT hasn't been set, you would have to assume there is a clause that the amount agreed will be reduced in line with the AFL TPT reduction, if there isn't you can bust your salary cap pretty quickly.

36 minutes ago, drdrake said:

I just can't see how a club like Carlton can be luring players with big cash.  The TPT hasn't been set, you would have to assume there is a clause that the amount agreed will be reduced in line with the AFL TPT reduction, if there isn't you can bust your salary cap pretty quickly.

That's never been a concern of the Baggers though Drake

• Like 2