Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Who should our next coach be?

Pickett2Jackson

14 minutes ago, DubDee said:

Ross Lyon. 

yep let’s go for the bloke that got sacked by the team that just beat us and is lower on the ladder 

makes sense ??

Also the guy who's taken 2 different teams to consistent finals series, regular grand final appearances and is about 20 points away from being a 3 time premiership coach? 

59 minutes ago, Fanatique Demon said:

Clarkson might need a year off after all that time at Hawthorn. Time to reflect and reignite the desire.

Maybe Goodwin gets 2021 and Clarkson 2022 onwards.

Yes it looks the most likely. It is a more rational approach I guess....

I just think many of us don't want another year of misery and frustration in 2021. It will damage membership numbers as well as sponsorships.

Plus I would like Alistair Clarkson to have at least 6 to 12 months away from football to have a holiday and return his passion and desire to coach again.

He definitely looks tired and worn out coaching Hawthorn at the moment. A break will do him the world of good.

Then he can start fresh at the Demons fully recharged and ready to go with a nice new football department as well.

2 hours ago, A F said:

I don't mind the set up mate, but Richo's history with list management is pretty poor IMO. Ratten did more in one off season to fix their problems than Richo did in many years IMV. But I like him as the GM, I just wonder about that bit.

Your point is fair, he didn't get the cattle right at StK.  

My main point is Goodwin has had more plays than 2 at the back of the square, he just hasn't got the players to execute. To be fair he's made them tough, it is not like we are 'bruise free' or anything. But for some reason he's never been able to get them doing any other party tricks. In some ways he's more FIGJAM than Buckley. Too slow to react to what is not working on game day. I'm now of the opinion he still thinks more like a player playing than a coach mentoring. He hasn't properly transitioned, you can see he is a 'Captain', but tactical coach no. Not sure if he is too close to the players but whatever, it isn't working, he's no Neeld but thanks anyway, no hard feelings.

4 hours ago, nosoupforme said:

Alan Richardson  with a second stint at coaching could be a nice fit for us. He won't take any crap. He is well respected  and will bring in a new game plan and pick up some skillful players along the way that can kick. 

Alan..... stop masquerading as nsoupforme. We've had it, okay? Back to the rumpus room...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Now is actually not a bad time to be in the market for a coach. There is an experienced backup plan in Ross Lyon who has coached two different clubs to GFs, a gettable legend in Al Clarkson and some great assistants floating around like Sam Mitchell, Adem Yze etc. Now’s the time to move IMO, who knows who will be available next year.

• Like 1

People talk of money, and rightly so. TBH the board should pay Goodwin out, it’s their fault we are in this dilemma.

Must get Clarkson, he would generate membership enough to cover the pay out of Goodwin. Stay with Goodwin and the membership will fall again.

• Like 3

I rate Clarko as the best in the business by a fair bit,

but

Go through history and see how many premiership coaches have won a premiership at their next club(s); or even been successful. Leigh Mathews is the only one that comes to mind.

Voss I expect will have served his apprenticeship properly this time, and hopefully mellowed somewhat (aka buckley).

Mitchell does have appeal but likely a year or 2 to soon.

Yze worth a look, 

Unlesd he"s changed, Lyons destroys culture and we'll be complaining even louder in 2-3 years time.

Who's the assistant at Geelong?

Michael Voss took the Brisbane job with no experience. He started well (finals first year) but then faded. He’s now done a lengthy apprenticeship and might be ready to take the reigns again.

Ross Lyon is obviously an option. Clarkson too if he is open to it.

Clarkson would be a sensible choice if he has the passion still.   I would actually go for an untried coach though who is highly rated.  Sam Mitchell, intelligent, articulate, respected, great teacher, football smarts and having worked under Clarkson he would know a thing or two about motivating others and getting best out of them.   Fascinating guy to listen to, would have the respect of players and supporters alike.

10 hours ago, Pickett2Jackson said:

Goodwin is surely done barring total incompetence from our board  (which is possible).

Who do you want to coach us next?   I will go with Ross Lyon, we need someone experienced and he taken two teams to Grand Finals.  An untried coach is too much of a risk for us.

There is no point selecting a new coach until you replace the present hierarchy who failed the club by extending SGs contract for an insane 3 years.

That decision alone tells me they are not up to getting the next candidate right either.

The club (and it's awful willingness to except mediocrity culture) needs fixing from the top down.

Barring a few individuals (underlings) who i'm sure have the right intentions and trying their best, the top brass / hierarchy needs replacing before we start the search or you will only get another poor outcome and we'll be back here in 5 years discussing the same conundrum.  Just as we did with the late Dean Bailey, just as we did with Neeld, just as we are now doing with Goody.

Actually it will be longer than 5 years.  2 more years of failure under SG.  Appoint new rookie/inexperienced coach touted by Pert / board as the new messiah.  2 years contract.  1st year promising so they extend for a further 2 years.  Fail.  Pert and Co. given the boot / walk after failing again.  Appoint new CEO / board / FD and running with same coach for part of the next season/then a caretaker coach for the last part....1 year further.

That's 7 more years of ineptitude and failure before  resetting the top hierarchy (a la PJ era with help of AFL....again) and starting all over again

Have to break the never ending cycle (culture) of failure.  Fix the head first or be back here again in 7 years with nothing to show and pretty much the entire existing playing list...done and dusted or gone to other clubs.

Edited by Rusty Nails

No idea.

If Clarkson was available - and that's a massive if - then he would be the number 1, 2 and 3 option.  I don't care how the Hawks are going right now.  The bloke has all the credit in the world.  He would walk in and instantly make us better, and he has the guts to make the tough decisions.

Ross Lyon does nothing for me.  Got the Saints and Freo into the final dance, but stuffed up their lists big time in the process.  Good match day coach but not great at building a list to be honest.

Outside of that... no idea.  Voss?  Maybe, but he didn't do a whole lot for me while at Brisbane.  I am sure there are other assistants out there waiting in the wings, but I'm not sure that's what we need, and I don't think the supporter base would swallow another untried coach.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Supreme_Demon said:

Really like this suggestion. However, I still think we must get an experienced senior coach in Alistair Clarkson.

Adem Yze can come across as an assistant as well as coach of of our VFL side the Casey Demons. This is because I still believe Adem Yze needs to coach a team of his own to have more experience.

We definitely need good football people to help with our leadership and culture. Those who are winners and know what it takes to win Premierships.

I would also look at getting Luke Hodge involved in a part-time role.

Basically, any former AFL players with Premiership experience and wish to be coaches should be considered.

Another priority is player development and that is why we need the best in the business in Mark "Choco" Williams. He is very keen to be involved with an AFL club again and would definitely jump at the chance of being involved with improving the Demons.

I also like the idea of of keeping Alan Richardson as director of coaching and to assist in a more consultative role. Let him have more of an opportunity to have an impact on the club seeing as Alan Richardson has only been here 1 season so far.

Finally we should look at Brad Scott as Football General Manager to take over from Josh Mahoney as he has had long enough and we need a fresh start.

I also want Garry Lyon and/or David Schwarz to be more involved with the Melbourne Football Club again. Jason Dunstall and Dermott Brereton have balanced club involvement with media roles. Why can't Garry Lyon or David Schwarz?

Basically, I want ruthless people involved at the club who demand high standards from all the players and want to constantly drive for success. 

In the end the Melbourne Football Club board needs to drive these changes and if they don't then we as members will replace them.

Neeld was ruthless. And useless.

8 hours ago, Patches O’houlihan said:

Also the guy who's taken 2 different teams to consistent finals series, regular grand final appearances and is about 20 points away from being a 3 time premiership coach? 

Has won zero premierships. 

If he is so great, why would Freo sack him? He was gifted teams ready to win a flag and failed twice. Although he did get them to GFs. We are not near as good or mature as saints and Freo were when he took over

18 minutes ago, Rusty Nails said:

There is no point selecting a new coach until you replace the present hierarchy who failed the club by extending SGs contract for an insane 3 years.

That decision alone tells me they are not up to getting the next candidate right either.

The club (and it's awful willingness to except mediocrity culture) needs fixing from the top down.

Barring a few individuals (underlings) who i'm sure have the right intentions and trying their best, the top brass / hierarchy needs replacing before we start the search or you will only get another poor outcome and we'll be back here in 5 years discussing the same conundrum.  Just as we did with the late Dean Bailey, just as we did with Neeld, just as we are now doing with Goody.

Actually it will be longer than 5 years.  2 more years of failure under SG.  Appoint new rookie/inexperienced coach touted by Pert / board as the new messiah.  2 years contract.  1st year promising so they extend for a further 2 years.  Fail.  Pert and Co. given the boot / walk after failing again.  Appoint new CEO / board / FD and running with same coach for part of the next season/then a caretaker coach for the last part....1 year further.

That's 7 more years of ineptitude and failure before  resetting the top hierarchy (a la PJ era with help of AFL....again) and starting all over again

Have to break the never ending cycle (culture) of failure.  Fix the head first or be back here again in 7 years with nothing to show and pretty much the entire existing playing list...done and dusted or gone to other clubs.

Great post totally agree. The cycle can’t be broken just by sacking the coach. Hell look at the help Suns have had that the type of help needed to turn this around. Melbourne are there to make up the numbers it was only the intervention of the AFL and Roos/Jackson that lifted the place. There need to be something similar. Barassi set the Dees up in the early 80s for some sustained success we need something similar.