Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POSTGAME: Rd 15 vs Sydney

Demonland

OMac, Wags and Jones have sealed their fate. Last game in red and blue for the 3 of them. Smith i thought played his role really well on papley but still not enough to hold his spot. Melksham has run out of chances for the time being and we're far too slow to react in the forward 50 ZERO movement. 

Lockhart May Lever

Salem Tomlinson Hibberd

Langdon Viney Bennell

Fritsch Weideman Harmes

Pickett Brown Spargo

Gawn Oliver Petracca

Brayshaw Neal-Bullen Rivers Bedford

OUT: Smith, McDonald, Jones, JWagner, Melksham

IN: Lockhart, Hibberd, Bennell, Pickett, Bedford

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Half forward flank said:

Three quarter time

Swans in a tight huddle listening to the coach

Dees in three ridiculous huddles.

have you ever played football. ive never played in a team that doesnt break into their 3 lines at a break and discuss in their groups what they need to do better and what worked before coming together for the full team address

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Vineytime said:

The list has no depth. A plethora of vfl plebs tonight:

Oscar - worst player to ever play for MFC - Why?

Wager

Smith

Brown

ANB

all proven not to perform at AFL level. 

Jones cooked

We slowed the side down tonight with our selections and they played young kids with pace, skill and a want to win. 

Mentally weak, no skill, no desperation, no care for team mates and poorly selected and coached. 

All in all a great night.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, drdrake said:

It is plain and simple, we dont have 1 midfielder you can trust to kick the footy.  In fact we dont have many players that can kick the footy at the required afl standard.

To follow from its the bizarre and random decision making also. A moment in the 2 nd qtr when the game is still up for grabs... Oliver links up from half back, gets a handpass in full stride.  Lovely....   But then tries a side ways drop punt to brayshaw sitting in the centre in traffic which doesnt reach him on the full.  Turnover.  Is the coach instructing him to make the hollywood decision there?  Or is the coach responsible for not having the right forward mix to allow Oliver to have faith in kicking a 40 metre forward pass to retain possession.  Bit of column a, bit of column b probably. 

• Like 3

Jack Viney is the most selfish footballer in our side. It pains me to admit it. He makes us worse in the middle. He does nothing to support teammates, but constantly rams into packs, even at times where a teammate is in a position to take the ball. His possessions are all grubby. That’s the only word I can use to describe it. The hack kicks, the missed handballs, the spin back into the traffic to prove his strength in breaking a tackle. I’m sick of it. Pull him out of the middle.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Buzzy said:

At least I haven't seen a single person defending Omac this evening.  Not one.

He wasn't the problem but he is a problem. He wasn't the reason we lost, we can thank all our self-annointed superstars for that. May and maybe Langdon the only two who had a crack. The rest of them can get stuffed.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Turner said:

OMac, Wags and Jones have sealed their fate. Last game in red and blue for the 3 of them. Smith i thought played his role really well on papley but still not enough to hold his spot. Melksham has run out of chances for the time being and we're far too slow to react in the forward 50 ZERO movement. 

Lockhart May Lever

Salem Tomlinson Hibberd

Langdon Viney Bennell

Fritsch Weideman Harmes

Pickett Brown Spargo

Gawn Oliver Petracca

Hard to argue with much of that - I'd like to see Bennell get another run, though if he's struggling to go at 100% maybe give Baker a shot on the wing?  

9 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Max didn't help our centre clearances/stoppages by putting the ball in front of Sydney's mids or no where near the path of our mids so they were always scrambling/chasing.

Not blaming Max for the loss but it was a poor game both playing his role and as a leader.

Maxy been doing all year. Clubs have worked him out now.

• Like 2

Just now, Turner said:

have you ever played football. ive never played in a team that doesnt break into their 3 lines at a break and discuss in their groups what they need to do better and what worked before coming together for the full team address

Not saying you shouldnt but it was the length of time he kept the seperate huddles at the most important huddle of the season. And perhaps you can explain how the three works when may was in the backs huddle and Goody moves him to the forward line like dozens of other moves of players who werent in the huddle that the play in the following quarter. Finally could you explain why Longmuir had them in a group huddle and which one worked. Goodys or Longmuir 3 quarter time plan of adressing the players.

9 minutes ago, Turner said:

Lockhart May Lever

Salem Tomlinson Hibberd

Langdon Viney Bennell

Fritsch Weideman Harmes

Pickett Brown Spargo

Gawn Oliver Petracca

Id add ANB as an out as well.

And Fritta if we had someone to replace him with.

In all seriousness, there are quite a few list cloggers about.

• Like 1

On at least two occasions (May immediately post game and Lever on the Dees Podcast), and I cant remember the third player) post the game against St Kilda, mentioned that they couldnt recall who they were playing next, being Sydney. I thought that strange that AFL players, even in this environment with short turn arounds would admit that, as it shows a lack of preparedness and also signals to the opposition that we dont rate them to remember them.

Well, what I saw tonight was that we werent prepared and clearly Sydney did. They out played us and Goody again was outcoached. Sydney set themselves for this game and it showed. 

We have far too many passengers and again like 2018, its not the top line players that lose games for us, its our bottom 6 players who blow our systems and structures out. We couldnt get any synergy as we were hurried out of stoppages. We reverted to the hot potato handball nonsense and got no separation, partly because we were out pressured and partly because we just lost our cool.

And that meant our inside 50 entries were awful again, and our exiting out of D50 was deplorable. 

Edited by bragswoewodin
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, gs77 said:

The worry for me is I've heard him in about four interviews try to explain his role, and his responses were confounding.  Hard to deliver in an ill-defined role.

I can tell you what Allan Richardson brings to the team. He brings insight on how to beat St Kilda. That's about it. Suddenly we had a team with a plan. They played completely the opposite of how they played tonight. They played with composure and controlled the tempo and knew what they had to do to beat them. Fast forward to today and they played with zero composure, didn't adjust for the conditions and panicked. Furthermore, they got utterly sucked in by the Swans game plan - great idea to keep running the ball out of bounds and restart play when we need to play attacking footy and narrow the gap.

I think we relatively are high on footy talent but scrape the bottom of the barrel when it comes to footy intelligence. Then there are the selection issues.

• Like 5

Just now, gs77 said:

Hard to argue with much of that - I'd like to see Bennell get another run, though if he's struggling to go at 100% maybe give Baker a shot on the wing?  

i dont think baker is going to cut it at afl level. hes a hunt 2.0 quick boi with not much footballing ability. happy to be proven wrong tho...

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Jjrogan said:

To follow from its the bizarre and random decision making also. A moment in the 2 nd qtr when the game is still up for grabs... Oliver links up from half back, gets a handpass in full stride.  Lovely....   But then tries a side ways drop punt to brayshaw sitting in the centre in traffic which doesnt reach him on the full.  Turnover.  Is the coach instructing him to make the hollywood decision there?  Or is the coach responsible for not having the right forward mix to allow Oliver to have faith in kicking a 40 metre forward pass to retain possession.  Bit of column a, bit of column b 

Its because our forwards are so out numbered you can't kick it forward 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Older demon said:

Soundly beaten in all areas of the game, coaching, tactics endeavour and ball use. So typically Melbourne it just shows you cannot trust this team as they just don't have it. Freo outplayed Richmond last night but they managed to win ugly. If we aren';t on then that is it. There is no inner spirit or desire to turn it around. One passage of play summed us up. Late last quarter the ball spills from a pack and Allir runs and picks it up and Fritch runs past hime. Fritch refuses or is incapable of applying pressure or tackling and that is Melbourne. I believe we just don't want it enough. Sydney are well drilled, play to instruction and work bloody hard to get back and don't all hunt the ball. For goodness sake I saw Viney 3 times get in the way of a team mate in a better position because he was hunting the ball for himself.

We are so far of being a tough, competitive regular finals team it makes me hurt.

Hannan last week and Fritsch this week going up for marks and getting the way of Weideman and Gawn is another example of this. No strategic thinkers just too dumb to play team footy or just playing for themselves.

12 minutes ago, Kick_It_To_Pickett said:

Jack Viney is the most selfish footballer in our side. It pains me to admit it. He makes us worse in the middle. He does nothing to support teammates, but constantly rams into packs, even at times where a teammate is in a position to take the ball. His possessions are all grubby. That’s the only word I can use to describe it. The hack kicks, the missed handballs, the spin back into the traffic to prove his strength in breaking a tackle. I’m sick of it. Pull him out of the middle.

He nearly knocked out Rivers when he was just about to gather thr ball. Viney came steaming through and crashed straight into Rivers, and Sydney then gathered possession.

The guy is a joke. Supposedly a leader and all he's done is dished up that crap all year. He's out of contract. Take what we can and reshuffle our midfield.

Edited by dazzledavey36
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, leave it to deever said:

Id add ANB as an out as well.

And Fritta if we had someone to replace him with.

In all seriousness, there are quite a few list cloggers about.

yes ANB is not a long term solution and fritta has been poor but we have to work week to week here and ANB did some good things and there isnt an obvious in to replace him

• Like 1

The positive out of today game is it give a significant reality check on where we sit. The Dees still have the nucleus of a good side but three thing hold us back;

1. The bottom end of our list is woeful and simply not AFL standard. Why people are shocked perplexes me. There are simply to many poor players;

2. We traded the farm because we thought we were close to a flag it was an illusion. Sorry but Lever is a mid range footballer that we are paying huge overs for;

3. Goodwin has overseen the team rebuild since Roos he has to be held accountable for this.

THe Dees need to keep building around draft pick and simply offload players who are just not AFL standrad how do they get on our list it just keeps happening. Build a forward line around Jackson; Weideman; Pickett but go all out in the draft for the best key defender we can find. I can hack losing if I see a future but cant abide watching some of the absolute talent less footballers that run around for us. 

Irrespective of win like the saints until we start to cull the list of those dud players where history. Unless we bite the bullet now we are heading for years more pain. Team like Sydney; Freo; Suns are going to rocket past us. With all the top draft pick we have had our current situation is a complete indictment on those who make decisions.

Okay, I am taking a break from watching cat videos, which I did for the whole last quarter because I didn't want to torture myself any further. 

Time for a rant.

I have been DEDICATED. I have been PATIENT. I have been LOYAL. I have been PAID UP every year. I have kept the FAITH. I have SUFFERED the losses, the heart wrenching losses. I have ENJOYED the few victories. I have STAYED to the very end of games where it was obvious there was no HOPE. I have MOURNED the tragic losses of our players like they were part of my own family.

BUT, I don't think I can stand much more of this. Does the club care as much as me, as much as us? Do the players? Or is life just a little too cosy being an AFL player today? 

I would really like to know. I do not understand what I witnessed today. It is inexplicable.? HELP.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Turner said:

yes ANB is not a long term solution and fritta has been poor but we have to work week to week here and ANB did some good things and there isnt an obvious in to replace him

Could you please tell me the good things he did? He runs around like a headless chook and looks like one of those carnival clowns you put a ping pong ball in the mouth of. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

28 minutes ago, Moonshadow said:

Surprised no one is pointing out the massive 2 disp by Weiderman. I know he's shown reasonable form over the last month, but whatever way we look at it that was a pathetic game. Simply terrible. 

I think he needs some glasses or laser surgery on his eyes. His “ability” misjudge/be pushed under the flight of the ball is top 5 in the competition. 

1 minute ago, Cards13 said:

I think he needs some glasses or laser surgery on his eyes. His “ability” misjudge/be pushed under the flight of the ball is top 5 in the competition. 

Weed can play but seriously who would want to play in our forward line where there is never space and delivery is absolutely woeful. It would be soul destroying.

• Like 2