Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

CHANGES: Rd 15 vs Sydney

Demonland

Outs: Kozzie, Hibbo (inj), jones, hannan  

Ins: Bedford,  Lockart, jetta, fritsch 

Kozzie really did nothing, he's going to be a star but he is still developing and will need some time before he can be consistent. Even then, being a first year player in a fairly rapid year i think it might be good for him to have a rest. Bedford is not getting enough love on here either, thought he was really good round 1 and deserves another shot at it. Jetta could also be a big chance for hibbo or jones. Spargo could come out for Corey Wagner but as some have mentioned, I think spargo did enough to keep his spot. 

Does anyone know how Marty Hore is tracking?, was really good last year and should definitely come in this week if hes ready to go. 

13 hours ago, picket fence said:

12 possessions in the modern game in two games??... As a forward ! He is SECOND TO THE BALL !! Sheesch 

No need to be offensive! He just isn't good enough!

Agree he needs to bring more offence, but I did the stats for a top of the ladder metro club for several years, usually if tackle numbers were up you were switched on and playing well.

6 minutes ago, Tom Dyson said:

Outs: Kozzie, Hibbo (inj), jones, hannan  

Ins: Bedford,  Lockart, jetta, fritsch 

Kozzie really did nothing, he's going to be a star but he is still developing and will need some time before he can be consistent. Even then, being a first year player in a fairly rapid year i think it might be good for him to have a rest. Bedford is not getting enough love on here either, thought he was really good round 1 and deserves another shot at it. Jetta could also be a big chance for hibbo or jones. Spargo could come out for Corey Wagner but as some have mentioned, I think spargo did enough to keep his spot. 

Does anyone know how Marty Hore is tracking?, was really good last year and should definitely come in this week if hes ready to go. 

I tend to think they won't go for Rivers and Lockhart in the same side. Jetta is the logical replacement for Hibbo, if needed.

I don't mind Bedford as an in but we'll lose a little fwd pressure in that exchange.

Agree that Kozzie will need a rest at some stage. I get the feeling the coaches are happy with Kozzie's ability to play that pressure role down there.

• Like 1

Interesting week. 

Kozzie looks like he needs a rest but seems to apply pressure which was the key to our win and is the hardest thing to judge from the armchair. I am no spargo fan but he seems to be doing the same and was there at a critical moment. Kozzie out for a rest. Certainly we should think about max in the next 2 matches and he should sit one out for Pruess who was good in his matches. I would also consider Hunt for his speed against the swans. Just glad i am not on the match committee as the next few weeks are a puzzle that you could get horribly wrong. What we got right was a plan that worked and we executed. 

1 hour ago, drdrake said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Max Gawn doesn't play, play Preuss V Sydney and give Max a full week break for Fremantle.

Hannan goes out for Fritsch

Then it depends on Hibbard fitness, you would expect Lockhart or even Jetta(bit more experience) to come in.

Baker for AVB or Jones, think this is unlikely

Not the worst idea going around.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Cheesy D. Pun said:

I think you're understating the difficulty of playing small forward.

We need guys that are working on the very specific running patterns, week in week out. Throwing a midfielder forward every now and then is fine but we will generate very little forward pressure if we have two or three makeshift forwards down there.

You don't create that forward pressure by simply having intent - it's a practiced skill to be there when you're needed.

Kozzy is our number one pressure player - number 4 in the comp for pressure acts among forwards. Comparing him to a lazy, overweight player from the 90s is totally off the mark, in my view.

Does he need a rest? Probably, but you have to replace that pressure. Harmes is unlikely to have worked on that forward craft and be able to generate that sort of pressure.

I'd rather take a player with less profile or skill that works on forward craft as his day job.

Our entire game plan depends heavily on the level of the forward pressure we can generate. We can and do win games without these small forwards scoring goals and getting touches but we can't function if that pressure is not there.

Sorry, didn't realise I was chatting with someone who had played the position at an elite level of competition and knows how hard it is, and who can also see "running patterns" not shown on TV. I'm just a long-time, long-suffering fan who has only seen Pickett hardly get a kick for several weeks now. It is well-known that young players are prone to running out of gas in later games if they play continuously throughout a season. That's why there was the word "managed" next to his name in my post. And reading this thread, it appears that most posters agree with me about leaving him out this week.

• Like 4
  • Shocked 1

22 hours ago, Hogan2014 said:

Is it just me or are the afl continue to look after premiership/top sides with the fixture, eg tigers want travel for the remaining games baring the last one tbc inc a bye... very nice going into finals just like 2019 which was 6 games in Melb vs us play in Darwin then fly back @ 3am then 5 days to play in cairns. I’m certain the afl manufactured the fixture to suit top teams. 

Bigger name teams doing well= more $$$.  AFL current financial situation means $$$ is more necessary than ever.  However, it will make our triumph more gratifying

47 minutes ago, Flower Magic said:

Sorry, didn't realise I was chatting with someone who had played the position at an elite level of competition and knows how hard it is, and who can also see "running patterns" not shown on TV. I'm just a long-time, long-suffering fan who has only seen Pickett hardly get a kick for several weeks now. It is well-known that young players are prone to running out of gas in later games if they play continuously throughout a season. That's why there was the word "managed" next to his name in my post. And reading this thread, it appears that most posters agree with me about leaving him out this week.

No problem, mate.

It wasn't my intention to sound arrogant or discount your opinion in any way and in fact, I tend to agree that he might need a rest at some stage.

I was just expressing the opinion that possessions and goals are secondary for small forwards in the modern game - pressure is everything. 

We disagree on how the game looks and that's fine. Also, you are correct - on balance, you probably have the support of most posters here for Kozzy's omission. I'm ok with that.

• Like 4

I highly recommend for everyone to watch previous Swans match last round or at least look at their current team line up. It's all about match ups and analysing their strengths and weaknesses. I watched the game and Port had three talls in fwd line (Dixon, Westhoff and Todd Marshall) which gave headaches to swans as they have no tall defenders. During the game, Sinclair provided nothing in the ruck so he was moved to fwd line, Tom McCartin moved to backline and Aliir Aliir in ruck role which worked for a short period but not for long. Swans were easily beaten in height.  Their tall forwards aren't great (Reid, Sinclair, Blakely). 

Only decent player in fwd line is Papley, he must be stopped. He is so dominant when the ball is close to him. Lockhart is a decent lockdown defender. It would be great if Goodwin give Lochkart a task on Papley.

I must applaud Goodwin with team selection last week, matching 4 talls (May, Oscar, Lever and Tomlinson) on Membery, Marshall, Battle and King. I see a lot of people not happy with Omac but he had to play due to Saints tall fwd structure. Had no other options.

Swans lack in height in fwd line therefore one tall defender has to go.

Ins: Lockhart, ANB (pressure player to cover Pickett's role), Fritsch, Preuss

Outs: Omac (omitted), Pickett (managed) Hibberd (managed), Hannan (omitted)

My reason to bring in Preuss as a ruck and Gawn in fwd line is to beat swans in height. Swans have no ruck and no tall defender to stop Gawn. Gawn provides us a target in fwd line. Preuss is serviceable ruckman and Gawn can be rested in fwd line, less running and less jumping.

We still have 7 defenders in the side (May, Lever, Tomlinson, Wagner, Salem, Rivers and Lockhart)

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Waltham33 said:

Bigger name teams doing well= more $$$.  AFL current financial situation means $$$ is more necessary than ever.  However, it will make our triumph more gratifying

What's confusing for this little Superunknown is why almost no games are broadcast into NNSW.

Aren't the non Victorian eyes worth anything on TV?

Especially when channel 7 has 67 channels and 66 of them have some povvo home renno show.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Flower Magic said:

I wish people would cut out this argument.

If we restricted commentary to those who had "played the position at an elite level of competition", Demonland wouldn't exist.

@Cheesy D. Pun was fairly, and rightfully, pointing out that there may be a lot Pickett is doing that you simply cannot see on TV. 

• Like 11

I'm thinking the changes will be Harmes in for Jones, Lockhart in for Hibberd (let him rest his ankle) and Fritsch in for Hannan.  I doubt that there will be wholesale changes, but if they do go for more, I'd think Pickett could get a rest and one of ANB or Bedford gets a run.

Edited by hardtack
  • Like 1

Nice to see Fat Tony and others have figured out that four-day breaks need fresh legs and that our loss to Port and our win over the Pies may have been more to do with the short break than lack of commitment. Having said that there's no guarantees that our coach will have figured that out as well.

To me, the game after the Swans against Fremantle is going to be the trickiest because we have four days and they have five. That scenario is reversed for the Giants. 

The first player Goody will want back in the side this week is Harmsey but personally I'd give him this game off and plan to use him heavily against Freo. I'd also rest Kossie for Sydney and then insert his pace for Freo. That's two key runners set aside for Freo specifically. And unless Hibberd has done his ankle ligaments, he'll be cherry ripe by Freo.

I have four non-negotiable outs: Hibberd (injured), Kossie (rested), Hannan (form), O.Mac (structure - Swans don't have talls and the fact that I can't afford  having to put more money in my swear jar - does anybody remember Herbert Lom from Pink Panther - that is me with Oscar). 

Personally I'd also leave out Spargo, but Goody loves him. I'd also consider if Vanders needs a rest as well - he should miss one of our next two to ensure he doesn't have a stress recurrence. Jones should play this one, but not Freo (break too short for him).

In: Fritsch, Lockhart (like everyone else I have no idea why he was dropped), J.Smith (replaces O-Mac), Hunt (replaces Kossie and we need pace for Swans), ANB (replaces Spargo if that happens as it should, but probably won't).

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Rusty Nails said:

That has been the case for many years now H20.  It's a dog's breakfast and fully compromised fixture that will always favour/benefit the AFL's favs.

Any team sitting outside their bubble (eg., us) will need to have one helluva team and year to win an 'outlier' premiership, a la the Doggies in 2016.

Rusty What bubble are we out of ?

We are in a hub in Qld snd for nearly  a week at Cairns I believe then back to Qld .

What  bubble are you talking about? The Gold  Coast one?

Also your changes :

Lockhart  should come back If we want  Speed and run and carry He is prob the best defender to give it consistently And we usually select 7 defenders ( prev counting Harmes)  but Tommo can provide some flexibility along with Brown.

Reckon no harm in trying Locky on the wing or even Rivers. Both run well and are quick.

Think maybe  Kossie for a rest Bedford ? To replace him. Or ANB  

Vanders needs managing and either Hannan or Melksham replaced by  Harley snd Fritsch.

Need a good team effort to get points possibly 5:6/7 goal win.

Lets get in the 8 Dees !!

1 minute ago, A F said:

The only reason we wouldn't play Kozzie against the Swans is if we're resting him. We won't be dropping him.

That's what I agreed and stated AF. Think he needs a rest for one game.

Also  Hibbo should maybe be treated cautiously and managed with his ankle . 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Razza13 said:

I highly recommend for everyone to watch previous Swans match last round or at least look at their current team line up. It's all about match ups and analysing their strengths and weaknesses. I watched the game and Port had three talls in fwd line (Dixon, Westhoff and Todd Marshall) which gave headaches to swans as they have no tall defenders. During the game, Sinclair provided nothing in the ruck so he was moved to fwd line, Tom McCartin moved to backline and Aliir Aliir in ruck role which worked for a short period but not for long. Swans were easily beaten in height.  Their tall forwards aren't great (Reid, Sinclair, Blakely). 

Only decent player in fwd line is Papley, he must be stopped. He is so dominant when the ball is close to him. Lockhart is a decent lockdown defender. It would be great if Goodwin give Lochkart a task on Papley.

I must applaud Goodwin with team selection last week, matching 4 talls (May, Oscar, Lever and Tomlinson) on Membery, Marshall, Battle and King. I see a lot of people not happy with Omac but he had to play due to Saints tall fwd structure. Had no other options.

Swans lack in height in fwd line therefore one tall defender has to go.

Ins: Lockhart, ANB (pressure player to cover Pickett's role), Fritsch, Preuss

Outs: Omac (omitted), Pickett (managed) Hibberd (managed), Hannan (omitted)

My reason to bring in Preuss as a ruck and Gawn in fwd line is to beat swans in height. Swans have no ruck and no tall defender to stop Gawn. Gawn provides us a target in fwd line. Preuss is serviceable ruckman and Gawn can be rested in fwd line, less running and less jumping.

We still have 7 defenders in the side (May, Lever, Tomlinson, Wagner, Salem, Rivers and Lockhart)

All defenders other than Lever and probably Wags could be flexible some on wing others up forward and Tommo  in the ruck.00.

37 minutes ago, Deespicable said:

Nice to see Fat Tony and others have figured out that four-day breaks need fresh legs and that our loss to Port and our win over the Pies may have been more to do with the short break than lack of commitment. Having said that there's no guarantees that our coach will have figured that out as well.

To me, the game after the Swans against Fremantle is going to be the trickiest because we have four days and they have five. That scenario is reversed for the Giants. 

The first player Goody will want back in the side this week is Harmsey but personally I'd give him this game off and plan to use him heavily against Freo. I'd also rest Kossie for Sydney and then insert his pace for Freo. That's two key runners set aside for Freo specifically. And unless Hibberd has done his ankle ligaments, he'll be cherry ripe by Freo.

I have four non-negotiable outs: Hibberd (injured), Kossie (rested), Hannan (form), O.Mac (structure - Swans don't have talls and the fact that I can't afford  having to put more money in my swear jar - does anybody remember Herbert Lom from Pink Panther - that is me with Oscar). 

Personally I'd also leave out Spargo, but Goody loves him. I'd also consider if Vanders needs a rest as well - he should miss one of our next two to ensure he doesn't have a stress recurrence. Jones should play this one, but not Freo (break too short for him).

In: Fritsch, Lockhart (like everyone else I have no idea why he was dropped), J.Smith (replaces O-Mac), Hunt (replaces Kossie and we need pace for Swans), ANB (replaces Spargo if that happens as it should, but probably won't).

Why would you remove two small pressure fwds Pickett and Spargo and bring in Hunt and ANB ? Without spargo, swans will run out backline with ease. Lloyd and Mills must be stopped.
If resting Pickett, we need spargo around talls to crumble the ball.

I agree with your four non negotiable outs. Dont agree with your ins (Smith and Hunt).

1 hour ago, Superunknown said:

Tricky business this.

Does winning/finals culture > getting someone to 300 (possibly gifting games at the expense of the greater good of the team?)

Let me put it this way, let's not guild the lily, if Jones deserves a game on form and nothing else he plays. If we "Gift" him games to get to 300 and it in some way compromises our tilt at the finals well then I would not have a bar of it. That's what Ruthlessness is!! That is what a "Winning" culture looks like!

Edited by picket fence

51 minutes ago, Deespicable said:

Why would that be? You make it sound like its a lock.

You know he was dropped right? presumably for not doing the team things and under performing 

Might need some fresh legs after a taxing game on Saturday night changes from me would be
Out:
Hannan - thought he was a good user of the footy until Sat
Jones - Couple of costly turnovers hurt us and didnt impact the game especially after half time
Pickett - Doesn't do near enough to impact games and doesnt provide enough pressure cant keep carrying him
OMAC - just doesnt have any enthusiasm or drive to be out there always losing his man like with Membrey late in the game

In:
Harmes - take him off half back and get him on a wing or middle
Smith/Baker - One of the two might be worth a run and could be used in multiple positions. Believe we need a third taller back so Tomlinson can play wing and sweep across the backline
Hunt - Think he deserves a run seemed to be in good form and could use some run and pressure
Fritsch - Obviously dropped for turning up late to training so would get him back in
**Lockhart for Hibby if injured 

On the chopping block: Melksham brings the same stupid selfish attitude complaining on the field, waving his arms and not doing the team things he should also be replaced hated seeing that and Vanders not sure what he really brings to the team anymore after being a bull.

Edited by Deelicious89

Out: O.Mcdonald (omitted), Van denBerg (omitted), Jones (omitted), Hibberd (injured)

In: Fritsch (dominated scratch match & best 22), Lockhart (probably gets first crack at Papley), Baker (rewarding form & offers pace), Harmes (To play defensive forward on Lloyd). I'm not usually a fan of bringing back someone who's been dropped due to form & not play because they're the carry over emergency - however the cupboard is pretty bare. 

Would love to be in a position to be resting a couple the following week