Jump to content

  • Podcast:      

  • Podcast:      

CHANGES: Rd 13 vs Bulldogs


Demonland
 Share


Recommended Posts

52 minutes ago, binman said:

I hope he plays and is fully fit so we play the strongest side possible so when we win no excuses from the peanut gallery are trotted out.

 

 

 

Jokes.

English or no English, they're pretty healthy at the moment.

Just missing a few mid rangers in Dureya, Cordy, Suckling and possibly Crozier.

They have all their guns in so it will be a genuinely satisfying win if we can knock them off.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, drdrake said:

For those suggesting Tmac goes out for Gawn, with Preuss to stay in  don't really understand Weidermans role at the moment.  He is playing our deepest forward with either Tmac or Jackson in front of him.  Preuss couldn't play the Tmac/Jackson role he would need to play the Weiderman Role, I not sure we what to change that up.

Yep, I think it's a dangerous move to play with the forward mix.

McDonald, for the most part, is doing his job. He just needs to bring the ball to ground and take his chances if he gets them.

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites


4 minutes ago, A F said:

Yep, I think it's a dangerous move to play with the forward mix.

McDonald, for the most part, is doing his job. He just needs to bring the ball to ground and take his chances if he gets them.

Seems like he also finally stopped taking his man to the same contest as Weid, if he only does one thing right for the rest of the year it should be to take his man away from Weid into space.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please no to Preuss and Gawn. It clearly didn't work last year and i can't see it working this week against a slick and fast Bulldogs unit.

T Mac should be played as the key forward/second ruck because he has the forward craft that nether of the 2 big blokes posses.

Choose out of Preuss or Gawn (if fit), and if they prefer Preuss, then Gawn plays in a scratch match.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Please no to Preuss and Gawn. It clearly didn't work last year and i can't see it working this week against a slick and fast Bulldogs unit.

T Mac should be played as the key forward/second ruck because he has the forward craft that nether of the 2 big blokes posses.

Choose out of Preuss or Gawn (if fit), and if they prefer Preuss, then Gawn plays in a scratch match.

yeah, it's a bit late in the season to start forward experiments, especially as the forward line lately )and finally) is playing much better and gelling well structurally  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Please no to Preuss and Gawn. It clearly didn't work last year and i can't see it working this week against a slick and fast Bulldogs unit.

T Mac should be played as the key forward/second ruck because he has the forward craft that nether of the 2 big blokes posses.

Choose out of Preuss or Gawn (if fit), and if they prefer Preuss, then Gawn plays in a scratch match.

I'll second that BBP.  No more forward experiments please.  Structure is about right as it is.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Garbo said:

Seems like he also finally stopped taking his man to the same contest as Weid, if he only does one thing right for the rest of the year it should be to take his man away from Weid into space.

I reckon the forward coaching has been really top notch the last 5-6 weeks. Incidentally, I think this occurred after moving Plapp into the forward coaching role. FWIW...

Edited by A F
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I reckon the forward coaching has been really top notch the last 5-6 weeks. Incidentally, I think this occurred after moving Plapp into the forward coaching role. FWIW...

 

Looking at the front on vision of the goals scored it seems that the players are running in on a straight line for their shots on goal perhaps they have listened to Dunstall on goal kicking technique.

Edited by demon3165
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, demon3165 said:

I reckon the forward coaching has been really top notch the last 5-6 weeks. Incidentally, I think this occurred after moving Plapp into the forward coaching role. FWIW...

 

Looking at the front on vision of the goals scored it seems that the players are running in on a straight line for their shots on goal perhaps they have listened to Dunstall on goal kicking technique.

Who was forward coach before him, was it Chapman??

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Having just watched the replay, I’m convinced that if Gawn plays, they’re not going to drop TMac. He didn’t take enough marks but did the next best thing in bringing the ball to ground - two of which directly resulted in goals (Melksham and Spargo). He’s still a long way from his best, he’s going well enough.

In: Gawn

Out: Preuss

If Gawn is no good, then no change.

  • Like 12
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Nasher said:

Having just watched the replay, I’m convinced that if Gawn plays, they’re not going to drop TMac. He didn’t take enough marks but did the next best thing in bringing the ball to ground - two of which directly resulted in goals (Melksham and Spargo). He’s still a long way from his best, he’s going well enough.

In: Gawn

Out: Preuss

If Gawn is no good, then no change.

Totally agree with this, and his pressure rating has been very good since coming back too.

Someone else raised the point when talking about Tomlinson that it's hard to tell how the off the ball work is going at either end given we can't be at the games, and I reckon that's relevant for TMac as well.

Plus, as much as I love the big Preusster, can see him getting in the way a bit if played as a forward. Don't see him as much of an improvement speed & agility wise over the HMAS TMac either.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, old dee said:

Keep meaning to say RN there are a couple in your avatar that could play a bit!

Yes OD i never saw any of them play (obviously too young for the Fox and a fair way shy of Bluey/Dicko) but i remember meeting Dicko after the "No merger" faction launch in the City square (i think it was there vs Fed square) in '96'.  I didn't actually chat to him at the launch other than briefly hearing him speak alongside Alan Johnson.  A quick hand shake and thank you for what they were doing for the club was about it.

However, as i was walking back to where my car was parked i had the good fortune to run in to Brian.  Had a good chat about all the goings on.  He certainly didn't mince words and i remember thinking how switched on / sharp he was for the age he was pushing. He went on to tell me some of the history of his involvement and also how he felt about some of those involved pushing for the merger.  I can't remember the exact details now but let's just say he was less than happy about the whole situation and there was some mention of some of the personalities on the no merger side etc.

I do remember thinking how passionate he was for the red & blue afterwards but also didn't feel great with the chances of the no merger getting through.  My gut feel after that chat was that he (and Johno) were coming to the party possibly too little too late as outsiders / rebels swimming against the tide if that makes sense.  That may have been just before he managed to get diamond Joe on board.

At that stage i had no idea how good a footballer he was and then went on to do a little reading to find out.  And find out i did!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, A F said:

I reckon the forward coaching has been really top notch the last 5-6 weeks. Incidentally, I think this occurred after moving Plapp into the forward coaching role. FWIW...

Yes i think he got a mention in the interview with Spargo after the match AF

  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Nasher said:

Having just watched the replay, I’m convinced that if Gawn plays, they’re not going to drop TMac. He didn’t take enough marks but did the next best thing in bringing the ball to ground - two of which directly resulted in goals (Melksham and Spargo). He’s still a long way from his best, he’s going well enough.

In: Gawn

Out: Preuss

If Gawn is no good, then no change.

Felt like Tommy had a nearly day. there were a couple of times particularly forward where he got first hands to the ball but didn't quite hold it. i think he's close to finding form. another day he could kick 4-5 if he clunks them a bit better

 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Patches O’houlihan said:

Felt like Tommy had a nearly day. there were a couple of times particularly forward where he got first hands to the ball but didn't quite hold it. i think he's close to finding form. another day he could kick 4-5 if he clunks them a bit better

 

Absulutely snd the smaller Bullfog  defence might just be his opportunity yo get on the board in a big way.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Rusty Nails said:

Yes OD i never saw any of them play (obviously too young for the Fox and a fair way shy of Bluey/Dicko) but i remember meeting Dicko after the "No merger" faction launch in the City square (i think it was there vs Fed square) in '96'.  I didn't actually chat to him at the launch other than briefly hearing him speak alongside Alan Johnson.  A quick hand shake and thank you for what they were doing for the club was about it.

However, as i was walking back to where my car was parked i had the good fortune to run in to Brian.  Had a good chat about all the goings on.  He certainly didn't mince words and i remember thinking how switched on / sharp he was for the age he was pushing. He went on to tell me some of the history of his involvement and also how he felt about some of those involved pushing for the merger.  I can't remember the exact details now but let's just say he was less than happy about the whole situation and there was some mention of some of the personalities on the no merger side etc.

I do remember thinking how passionate he was for the red & blue afterwards but also didn't feel great with the chances of the no merger getting through.  My gut feel after that chat was that he (and Johno) were coming to the party possibly too little too late as outsiders / rebels swimming against the tide if that makes sense.  That may have been just before he managed to get diamond Joe on board.

At that stage i had no idea how good a footballer he was and then went on to do a little reading to find out.  And find out i did!

I worked with Frank Adams and we became good friends over a long period of time. A nice guy who mostly played down his achievements. He told me lots of stories and was very good friends with Brian Dixon. He was very much in Norm Smiths corner about the MFC having to join the real world in the mid sixties but alas the MCC who ran the MFC in those days ( members only got to vote on two of the MFC board members ) continued on their way and here we are over half a century later still without a flag. In the late 80’s I remember Him telling the worst players Got more money in a month than he got all year. He was As you probably know on Channel 7 for years and was a successful business man but in today’s world he would have been a multi millionaire from football. Nice guy who I will never forget.

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

TMac wasn't too bad, improved on his form from earlier this year. He created a lot of contests which resulted in goals, chopped out in ruck and applied enough pressure to hold his spot. Nowhere near 2018 form, but encouraging signs and played his role.

I'd go no changes this week. If English is out, then Preuss will beat or nullify Trengove or Cordy or whoever they use in ruck. If Gawn isn't 100%, then give him another week off. If he is, then only change this week is Gawn in for Preuss.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Lord Travis said:

TMac wasn't too bad, improved on his form from earlier this year. He created a lot of contests which resulted in goals, chopped out in ruck and applied enough pressure to hold his spot. Nowhere near 2018 form, but encouraging signs and played his role.

I'd go no changes this week. If English is out, then Preuss will beat or nullify Trengove or Cordy or whoever they use in ruck. If Gawn isn't 100%, then give him another week off. If he is, then only change this week is Gawn in for Preuss.

Don't speak too soon. They've got a pretty handy back up by the name of Jordon Sweet who's been desperate for a game but Bevo doesn't believe in 2 rucks and they've got a lot faith in English for obvious reasons. Sweet might be a very decent player.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Demonland said:

 

I reckon we're playing funny buggers with Max at the moment. You don't say PCL if you don't mean it. He won't play this week IMO.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Don't speak too soon. They've got a pretty handy back up by the name of Jordon Sweet who's been desperate for a game but Bevo doesn't believe in 2 rucks and they've got a lot faith in English for obvious reasons. Sweet might be a very decent player.

Sweet, on debut and from the SANFL - might be indeed

I hope English is out and we don't take any risks with Max.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    CAT SKINNING by George On The Outer

    When they defeated the Geelong Cats in the 2021 AFL Preliminary Final on Friday night in Perth, Melbourne proved that there is more than one way to skin those cats.  They did it in the ruck and in the middle, they did it in the forward line, they did it in defence and around the ground, but importantly, each and every player a Demon guernsey spent his night at Optus Stadium skinning an opponent. Following the after-the-siren win against Geelong in Round 23, there was an expectation of

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE POINTY END by The Oracle

    The AFL’s two oldest clubs, Melbourne and Geelong, face off on Friday evening in a sudden death Preliminary Final. It’s a game that promises plenty in terms of fascination and intrigue as a result of the rivalry that’s been building between the teams over recent encounters that have been tight struggles which have gone to the wire with two of them decided by after-the-siren goals. The added touch of mystery attached to this week’s meeting comes by virtue of the fact that it’s going to take

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE VFL YEAR THAT NEVER WAS by KC from Casey

    The rising case numbers and the continuing lockdowns in Victoria and NSW spelled doom for the 2021 VFL season which went through a slow, painful demise before its recent official cancellation. After weeks of indecision, the AFL decided to pull the plug on the season with the 10-0 Bulldogs recognised as minor premier, but without a premiership cup and without awarding the J.J. Liston Medal for the best and fairest VFL player. It was somewhat fortuitous for the integrity of the competition t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    TAMING THE LIONS by George On The Outer

    With nine finals debutants in the side, the Melbourne Football Club had a daunting assignment ahead of it in the First Qualifying Final — to overcome the competition’s highest scoring side, the Brisbane Lions. In the end, the Demons accomplished the task by putting the bite on their opponents on their way to taming the Lions and recording a 33 point win that propelled them into one the two Preliminary Finals of 2021.   It was one of those debutants, Luke Jackson, who put the bite in more

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    RETURN TO NEVERLAND by Whispering Jack

    The greatest Demon A HIGHWAY OF DEMONS by Whispering Jack CHAPTER SIXTEEN - RETURN TO NEVERLAND  I have a six year old grandson who recently took up the family tradition of following the Demons. He had his first taste of the game a few years ago when he went to the “G” with his parents to watch the 107-point massacre of Carlton and he went to another game in the following season which was also a W for the Dees. But his appetite for the club has grown exponentially this year and wh

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 13

    METAMORPHOSIS by Whispering Jack

    I’ve always believed that when the home and away matches come to an end, the football season takes on a completely different shape and character. During the regular season, each team’s goals progress as the weeks pass and if you’re good enough to survive and make the grade, the situation changes. The comparison can be made with the life cycle of a butterfly going through stages from egg to larva to caterpillar, cocoon and in the end to a bright and colourful creature that emerges from darkness i

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    STEALING THE CATS’ CREAM by George On The Outer

    They were leading by 44 points well into the third quarter of a game to decide the minor premier, having kicked nine unanswered goals. The Cats were about to lap up their bowl of cream, dreaming of next week but the Demons led by Max Gawn had other ideas. In a stunning finish, they stole the game from under them to claim the plaudits as best team and top of ladder position. In a remarkable game, it all came down to Max having to kick the winning goal after the final siren, something which s

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SKIN THE CATS by Whispering Jack

    The task ahead for the Demons as they wend their way down the Princes Freeway to Geelong on Saturday night will be to skin the Cats. For them to come away with the points from this game would mark an historic occasion for the club as it will finish on top of the ladder for the first time since its last premiership year, 1964. And it was in that year, that a trip to Corio Bay to meet the reigning premiers in Round 12, was one of the catalysts for Melbourne’s surge to the flag. It was a top o

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    REACH FOR THE STARS by George on the Outer

    It was a game of great significance for the Melbourne Football Club. A win would see them keep top spot on the ladder with one round remaining. To achieve top place in the Round for Reach when we are all inspired to “Be Like Jim” and reach for the stars was a great way of honouring one of our heroes. All the better given that it was done by way of an emphatic 41 point win against Adelaide! It is worth remembering that, but for the umpiring mistake in the previous encounter with the Crows, t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    TICKETS PLEASE by The Oracle

    A lot of water has passed under Princes Bridge in the five years since Melbourne last met Adelaide on the MCG. The Crows were riding high at the time while the Demons were mid-table and scrambling for a win to stay in the race for the finals. The 30,000 fans who had tickets to the game were thoroughly entertained by a close, high scoring affair that ended in tears for fans of the home team. Not even an eight-goal second term could help them.   Times have changed.    In the fi

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    ELECTRIFYING by George On The Outer

    What more can they throw at the Demons of 2021? Covid restrictions, hubs, aircraft circling between airports before landing for games and now a match stopped for 30 minutes to give a flagging opponent its second wind? To date, none of those distractions has swayed the team from their winning objectives. The game against West Coast in Perth can be marked on their report card as another positive outcome after yet another test. There was much at stake for both sides.  Melbourne had t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    LONG AGO AND FAR AWAY by Whispering Jack

    When the combatants that are due to face off on Monday night at Optus Stadium last met, it was 11 days after the World Health Organization had declared the Covid19 outbreak a global pandemic. In Australia, the first cases had just come to light, including visiting US actors Tom Hanks and wife Rita Wilson, the toilet paper panic was in full flight and the world was starting to reel in anticipation of impending disaster. Half an hour before this last game of the opening round was due to comme

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...