Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

CHANGES: Rd 13 vs Bulldogs

Demonland

4 hours ago, binman said:

To be honest i'm more worried about both the dogs and the saints than i was the pies.

I have a theory.

Which, in contrary to my normal tomes about such matters i will try to explain succinctly.

I think there are number of teams who have similar game plans to Goody. Not exactly the same of course but similar in terms of their philosophy, defensive system and zones. The Pies are one.

And there are a number of teams with different game plans, albeit not radically different. The saints and dogs are two examples.

My theory is we struggle against the teams with different game plans.

Phew I thought you were going to say we struggle against any team with a game plan

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Pickett2Jackson said:

if Sparrow rests I would bring in Toby Bedford... 4 goals in the scratch match and a real livewire.  

With Pickett and Spargo already in the team I prefer to have a similar type of player to replace Sparrow (If he is to be rested)

• Like 1

OUT: AVB He needs to fix his disposal, I’m not sure whether I am looking to find fault but every frigging time, his best effort is kicking to roughly 50/50 (which we then lose), I know better teams will capitalize on this. Like many others (E.g. ANB and Oscar) he plays with heart. That said if we were in a GF (and with 2000 firmly in mind) I would play him for ‘protection’.

Tomlinson, disposal still needs work, coach was right to drop him previously.

IN: Bennell, another chance to see if he can do what is required (fitness wise), before we get to finals.

Gawn, (with Preuss remaining, time to see some ‘coaching’, how can we turn Max into more of a weapon up forward.

Banging on door, Jetta, Rivers, Hunt, but at this stage Jones, Sparrow, Lockhart and doing their jobs well.

Just cannot agree with the criticism of Tmac, he is getting to the contest and doing a power of work, his mobility issues exaggerated, how brilliant was that one handed mark in the wet? That will give him a lot of confidence. He would have kicked a 2nd but for Spargo picking his pocket. He also looks ‘on’ I don’t see a confidence issue that was there earlier.

Frtisch will come good with his kicking, and he is super dangerous and still marking, I think he looks like Gunston when presenting for a mark.

Harmes to tag Bont.

With Preuss remaining in we have a tall to rest back/ Kick ins, Tomlinson has not been the aerial target I was hoping for. Preuss while still lumbering has improved his cardio 15-20% on what I remember.   

• Like 1

11 hours ago, old dee said:

I worked with Frank Adams and we became good friends over a long period of time. A nice guy who mostly played down his achievements. He told me lots of stories and was very good friends with Brian Dixon. He was very much in Norm Smiths corner about the MFC having to join the real world in the mid sixties but alas the MCC who ran the MFC in those days ( members only got to vote on two of the MFC board members ) continued on their way and here we are over half a century later still without a flag. In the late 80’s I remember Him telling the worst players Got more money in a month than he got all year. He was As you probably know on Channel 7 for years and was a successful business man but in today’s world he would have been a multi millionaire from football. Nice guy who I will never forget.

I didn't know about the 7 connection OD.  Bit of a quiet achiever by the sounds of it.

I'm not sure how they played in those old shin high boots back in the day!  Although if i recall my first Barassi ones weren't that dissimilar!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CHF said:

With Pickett and Spargo already in the team I prefer to have a similar type of player to replace Sparrow (If he is to be rested)

I would have no qualms playing all three of Spargo , Pickett and Bedford together.

Have a look at how many small forwards the Tigers roll out each week and their last few years.   They are the blueprint.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Rusty Nails said:

It does have some merit over the next few weeks.  Hannan would probably be the better option for Jones though if we need a step up in pace and pressure inside 50.  Hunt averages the most tackles inside 50 when in the team but Hannan is the next best available here outside of those who played against the Pies.  Hannan also averages 1 goal a match vs Hunt 0.3 and a few more score involvements than Hunt... 3.9 vs 1.7 bringing others into the game.

Hannan also pushes a little higher up the ground at times, hopefully dragging his opponent away from the arc and creating a bit more space for others like Weid to lead in to.  Whereas Hunt is more a deep starting forward and might crowd out that area for the bigger fellas (Weid & T-Mac) and his inclusion might blow up a good thing we have at present.

I think Hunt might get a gig as well for his speed coming out of the fwd line..

I get playing with a stable line up but squads are required to get through a season and when we have a bunch of players who haven't played for a while you run the risk of getting injuries late and not having replacements that can step in.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MF-C said:

Damn that totally sucks about Jackson, first I've heard of it. 

I just can't bear to watch Tmac - he is really struggling. 

He's getting gifted games right now 

I'd really like to see more of Rivers, maybe on a wing or middle. 

Maybe give Jones an extra rest even though he's been pretty solid. 

Otherwise looking like no changes. 

Did you watch our last match (without Jackson)?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jnrmac said:

I think Hunt might get a gig as well for his speed coming out of the fwd line..

I get playing with a stable line up but squads are required to get through a season and when we have a bunch of players who haven't played for a while you run the risk of getting injuries late and not having replacements that can step in.

Anything's possible but Hunt seems a bridge too desperate for my liking unless we did have some injuries as you say Jnr.  I still think he will unsettle the current cohesion up there as well given he usually plays very deep.

Edited by Rusty Nails

17 minutes ago, Rusty Nails said:

Anything's possible but Hunt seems a bridge too desperate for my liking unless we did have some injuries as you say Jnr.  I still think he will unsettle the current cohesion up there as well given he usually plays very deep.

I agree Hunt could be unsettling. I reckon he is a 25-30  player ranking,  youngster Sparrow, Rivers, Bedford, Jordan may have a better feel of the game plan going forward. I remember that sensational goal Hunt kicked. Instead of it being just that, ONE sensational goal, well done Hunty, get on with it, it turned into a blueprint for how he should play, well certainly with the media.

11 hours ago, Pickett2Jackson said:

I would have no qualms playing all three of Spargo , Pickett and Bedford together.

Have a look at how many small forwards the Tigers roll out each week and their last few years.   They are the blueprint.

100% agree. My ideal setup once Jacko is back would be the following:

HF:   Melksham         Jacko          Spargo

F:     Pickett               Weid             Fritsch

Other players to run through: Bedford (or different high pressure small), Petracca & Sparrow.

If Bennell can improve his defensive efforts then he's another.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Action Jackson said:

100% agree. My ideal setup once Jacko is back would be the following:

HF:   Melksham         Jacko          Spargo

F:     Pickett               Weid             Fritsch

Other players to run through: Bedford (or different high pressure small), Petracca & Sparrow.

If Bennell can improve his defensive efforts then he's another.

Its looking like a winning formula . Heres hoping a fast return for your namesake.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Cheesy D. Pun said:

Gawn and Preuss against a debutant is overkill, surely. Even if English is fit, I don't think the game is won and lost there, not to mention Max's history of performing better with a bigger workload.

Also, we've got a functioning forward line. Throwing a big guy down there with some skill and strength but a low footy I.Q is a recipe for disaster, in my opinion.

Despite his rough form, I'd take Tommy's superior positioning and game sense, every time.

Sometimes we must evaluate who, in fact, has the '...low footy IQ...' not recognised in the eyes of the beholder. Preuss, for example, has worked hard as reported - and has made significant improvements, and that is not characteristic of such a condition, surely?

21 hours ago, Cheesy D. Pun said:

I reckon if we were able to watch games live, the criticism of Lockhart wouldn't exist. Has shut down a small forward every week is courageous, never out of position and has leg speed. 

Apart from a couple of holding the ball calls against in his first game of the year, I'd say he's been pretty close to flawless.

Sorry guys not the best. Ill do better next time. I saw him do some good things.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, woz said:

Sorry guys not the best. Ill do better next time. I saw him do some good things.

Dont apologize to anyone man, I loved that first post nuke.

And everyone's entitled to their opinion.  Long live the woz

Edited by Pickett2Jackson
  • Like 3