Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

CHANGES: Rd 13 vs Bulldogs

Demonland

7 hours ago, A F said:

Fritsch is definitely one of, if not our biggest down hill skiers. Not hard enough at the contest for mine either.

He'll keep getting games because he kicks goals, but his defensive work is dreadful.

I'd go no change, unless Kozzie needs a rest, in which case I'd bring back Hannan.

I reckon it won't be long until Rivers comes back for Jones and Harmes moves forward.

I have been a critic of Fritsch for a while! Agree Down hill skier that misses far too many goals for my liking! Id almost go Harley for Fritsch! 

Oh one other thing Big Punky Pruesster plays instead of Mc Donald easily!

Edited by picket fence

10 minutes ago, picket fence said:

I have been a critic of Fritsch for a while! Agree Down hill skier that misses far too many goals for my liking! Id almost go Harley for Fritsch! 

Oh one other thing Big Punky Pruesster plays instead of Mc Donald easily!

Fritter is important for the forward structure.

And (I think) is our leading goal scorer.

And would be pretty high on our list of goal assists and score involvements.

And would probably be only behind the weed for rhe number of both contested marks and marks in general inside 50 per game.

Zero chance he gets dropped.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, binman said:

Fritter is important for the forward structure.

And (I think) is our leading goal scorer.

And would be pretty high on our list of goal assists and score involvements.

And would probably be only behind the weed for rhe number of both contested marks and marks in general inside 50 per game.

Zero chance he gets dropped.

In a couple of the lost games he was the only forward earning his keep. The only reason he won’t be in against the dogs is if he needs a rest.

• Like 4

“It was Collingwood's fourth game in 14 days and it showed, as it suffered some uncharacteristic defensive breakdowns”. 
This is a telling quote from an article today. So while this was one of the best wins I’ve seen in recent times, I think we need to reflect carefully, rotate a couple of our guys around based on form, and with an eye towards having a larger list of ‘match fit’ players for our period of multiple 4 day breaks.  Play Preuss if Max not fully fit, bring in Bennell.

• Like 2

If Max is ready I reckon they may seriously consider dropping TMac and maintaining the big Preusster as the second ruck forward. He is definitely getting around the ground better for longer and would offer a true chopout and less game time reliance on Gawn. As the second forward (which TMac is only doing the bare minimum of) he just needs to get the ball to ground in 50 and would offer a true ruck for inside 50 stoppages for us to control. 

I reckon it will be well discussed during the week. 

• Like 7

Apart from Gawn coming in for Preuss, which is sounding likely, I find it hard to make any changes to that side.

We don't play again until next Saturday so we have sufficient time to rest, so dropping guys like Pickett for a 'rest' doesn't really seem all that necessary.

Our back six is working right now so I don't see the need for changes there, and while some might want to drop a Sparrow, I still think he has been doing a solid job in the side and he has been getting some time in the middle as well which has been important.

So, unless a mystery injury bobs up, I'd be going with Gawn for Preuss IF Gawn is 100% and ready to go.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, big_red_fire_engine said:

If Max is ready I reckon they may seriously consider dropping TMac and maintaining the big Preusster as the second ruck forward. He is definitely getting around the ground better for longer and would offer a true chopout and less game time reliance on Gawn. As the second forward (which TMac is only doing the bare minimum of) he just needs to get the ball to ground in 50 and would offer a true ruck for inside 50 stoppages for us to control. 

I reckon it will be well discussed during the week. 

Id love to see this happen.

Preuss looks more mobile than T mac these days anyway.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Jock Strap said:

“It was Collingwood's fourth game in 14 days and it showed, as it suffered some uncharacteristic defensive breakdowns”. 
This is a telling quote from an article today. So while this was one of the best wins I’ve seen in recent times, I think we need to reflect carefully, rotate a couple of our guys around based on form, and with an eye towards having a larger list of ‘match fit’ players for our period of multiple 4 day breaks.  Play Preuss if Max not fully fit, bring in Bennell.

This is absolutely relevant. A massive factor and is the key reason I expected us to win.

I applied this same proviso to our port game. So only fair to apply it in tgis game.

Like us v port you could see their fatigue from the get go. Mentally flat too.

The all team zones both (In fact most) teams employ simply don't work if every player down At do the massive running required or apply sufficient pressure on the ball carrier.

Ironically the port loss to cats was a carbon copy of ours to them. They simply did not spread or pressure close to the level required. Think of how many one out opportunities Hawkins had. Probably more than he has had all season combined. Port were as flat as pancakes after their win v the tigers

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Jock Strap said:

Yeah well they have 50k more members than us, a truckload more cash to spend on the football department and their fitness/recovery team and everything else.

So lets just call it even, even though it never will be.

Edited by Pickett2Jackson
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Demon17 said:

I think both Hannan and Fritsch are in danger of losing best 22 status. Fritsch causes problems in the air for opponent but gee his finishing is ordinary.

Spargo is in for the time being and maybe ongoing and adds a great decisin maker up forward. And he can kick

Fritsch reminds me of Geoff Tunbridge/Barrie Vagg, although a better mark/kick than both of those. When Fritsch first appeared he was a “dead eye [censored]” in front of goal but seems to have lost a lot of that accuracy, although at the same time l think his pressure has improved considerably. 

With all the spare time these guys have got in the hubs, you would think they would practise weaknesses like goal kicking accuracy til they got it right wouldn’t you? Still l think he is a key part of our forward setup as he can play tall and mid, and is very skilful in most areas.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, MF-C said:

I’d like to see Preuss stay for Tmac if Gawn is back. Tmac is totally shot and I’ve said it for weeks. 

Abs0=blud=E_lootlee~~!!!!!!!!

2 hours ago, Cards13 said:

I’m sure he’ll be on your team sheet lol.

He had a mixed game but honestly can't understand how he missed that pass to Weideman in the last quarter, it will be overlooked by many here because we won and  it still resulted in a Fritsch goal. There would not be an easier kick to hit and he missed by 5 meters. 

59 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

Apart from Gawn coming in for Preuss, which is sounding likely, I find it hard to make any changes to that side.

We don't play again until next Saturday so we have sufficient time to rest, so dropping guys like Pickett for a 'rest' doesn't really seem all that necessary.

Our back six is working right now so I don't see the need for changes there, and while some might want to drop a Sparrow, I still think he has been doing a solid job in the side and he has been getting some time in the middle as well which has been important.

So, unless a mystery injury bobs up, I'd be going with Gawn for Preuss IF Gawn is 100% and ready to go.

Why risk Gawn give him another week off, we have won the last two games without him both by 9+ goals. 

• Like 1

Just in response to Fritsch’s kicking issues atm, for my eye he is leaning too far back when he connects with the ball.
Simple thing to fix so hopefully they do.

always remember this photo as a kid and noticed that despite his leg being so far in the air, his torso is still pushing forward.

image.thumb.jpeg.aab83c1f1db7428ccea3cc31d23093f6.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, —coach— said:

Just in response to Fritsch’s kicking issues atm, for my eye he is leaning too far back when he connects with the ball.

always remember this photo as a kid and noticed that despite his leg being so far in the air, his torso is still pushing forward.

Lost his mojo when forced out to chf  with jackovitch at ff

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, old dee said:

Why risk Gawn give him another week off, we have won the last two games without him both by 9+ goals. 

I agree, OD.  If Gawn isn't 100% then I'd give him another week for sure.  Preuss more than held his own and will do so again against English you would think, although I fear that English might be a little too mobile for the big fella around the ground.

3 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

I agree, OD.  If Gawn isn't 100% then I'd give him another week for sure.  Preuss more than held his own and will do so again against English you would think, although I fear that English might be a little too mobile for the big fella around the ground.

You know my thoughts on ruckman in general wiseblood and of course I would like  big Max playing but we can win without him so he needs To be 100% . 

1 hour ago, Jock Strap said:

May I ask the source/author of that quote, please?

I don't put too much store in it as we played 4 games in 16 days.  Our defense held up fine.  The author doesn't give us enough credit for a 10 goal shellacking!

On the subject of changes:  Time to really settle the team so minimal changes, allowing for 'resting' to ensure team fitness for the next lot of condensed games post Alice.

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

English might be more agile but he is incredibly soft. I remember watching footy classified months ago and he was highlighted with some soft weak efforts.

Pruess would only need to put a knee into him or rough him up around stoppages and I think English will turn to water.

No changes for me. Give Maxy more time and as Dazzle said, English, the softest big man in the comp,  will go even whiter when he knows he will be up against Preuss.

As a poster said earlier, The Bont and Daniel need to be curbed. Kozi to Daniel as a pressure forward. Daniel is their playmaker and is often left unchecked to run down the ground.  Kozi to run with him and apply pressure wherever he goes. A hard, dry track will suit Kozi down to the ground.

Unsure if we need to tag the Bont. Gets a lot of the ball but not particularly damaging. Maybe if he starts to threaten, give Tomlinson the job. Or just get Vanders to have a chat with him...

Theres a few players I'd like to see back in the side

Gawn - Obvious reasons

Rivers - I am a big fan of Rivers' kicking and decision making, the kid reads the ball well and is not afraid to take the game on.   

Bennell - Has outside run and the foot skills we need. I'd love to see him on the other wing.

Hannan - Another with footy smarts but can go missing. He stands up in big moments and can handle the heat.

It's hard to pick who to take out for these players and that is a great problem to have, so who could be on the chopping block?

Tin man TMac - he can't put the defensive pressure on in the forward half, defenders run around him like its nothing and he has the turning circle of a boat. You can literally see his legs changing gears as he runs. 
He can take a great mark and when done so on the wing has helped us connect forward, also doesn't seem to mind the ruck which is handy.

Harmes - had 100% disposal efficiency up until halfway through the 4th (finished 4th best with 93.3%) and didnt give away a free kick this week (my two gripes with him gone)

Melksham - makes the most of his opportunities but should be getting more of it, he is supremely talented but I hardly ever see him.

Jones - Had the kind of game I've been wanting to see all year. His leadership history means alot to the club and I like when he plays forward as it can help the kids and our structure. It is all about winning a premiership, not him getting to 300 games but he needs finals to get to 300, so if he brings that intensity every week, hell drag the rest of the team with him. 

Tomlinson - Disposal is letting him down, can't quite find a position for him, yet that's kinda handy to have come off the bench and I prefer him to Omac. 

Conclusion:
If Gawn is fit he will come in for either Pruess or Tmac
Rivers for Tomlinson

1 hour ago, —coach— said:

The weird thing about that photo is he wasn't kicking. Just walking to full forward  right before the game started 

• Like 2
  • Haha 10