Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

TEAMS: Rd 12 vs Collingwood

Demonland

3 hours ago, Whispering_Jack said:

Yes, they would be photos of the final scoreboard in each of the last 4 games that VDB has played in - all Melbourne wins - by an average of 42 points. 

What a poor analogy Jack.

3 of those games were against bottom 4 sides, in which Vanders was poor in all 3 games. Don't make out that Vanders was a big contributor in those games because he wasn't. 

Did you somehow miss the other 2 games against Geelong and Richmond where he also barely fired a shot?

Like Harmes the past two games he's been undisciplined and given away stupid free kicks.

He's another Goodwin pet alongside Melksham and Harmes.

Edited by dazzledavey36
  • Like 2

Not sure how accurate, but apparently Julian de Stoop tweeted Hannan is out with illness.

If true, why wouldn't MFC just say that? Seems similar to the confusion with Bennell missing earlier this year.

Edit - Also just noticed the AFL website has Hannan as out with illness.

Why the muck around?

Edited by Lord Nev

2 hours ago, dpositive said:

Have a great day DD.

Make em know your there on behalf of many dees supporters.

Yell GO DEES with passion. Target your cheering at our boys when they are near you and especially when the crowd is quiet. Let your voice ring out despite the score or the opposition supporters. Encourage cajol and inspire.

You are our representative. Don't hold back.

Thanks in anticipation

GO DEES

Will do and have 13 family members going with me all to yell for Dees. Cost me a fortune. Maybe kids will offer to pay but doubt it.

Can't believe Hannan is out when Harmes has been in shocking form recently. 

Rivers stiff but Lockhart is a better player currently imo.

Would be lovely to see Preussy polax Grundy in a tackle or two. 

Surely Harmes is on notice tho, another bad performance today and there are plenty others i would bring in. 

14 hours ago, PaulRB said:

As an unapologetic VDB fan I’m loving the Vanders critics rolling out their diminishing opinions on him. Feel no need to defend him as I trust Vanders will do it himself, on the field, this week or next... capable of far more the just “bash and crash”, but you can’t tell some people some things they’ll just have see it for themselves...

Go Demons. 

13 hours ago, nosoupforme said:

VDB is tough as they come and won't shirk an issue it is good to have him out there injury free for a change and he can only improve with more game time.

You need players who are hard at it  that can make a  team mate have confidence that he has your back.

There is something to be said for the toughness factor.  To a point anyway.  In tight physically tough games, especially against the bigger Vic / interstate clubs (Tigers/Pies/Hawks/Eagles).  They are often coming out expecting to bang in & tackle hard, even up the clearances and they'll be a shoe in with the rest of their game taking them to an easy win.

With players like Clarry, Viney, Hibb, May and big Maxy hitting the opp just as hard, the opp doesn't get it all their own way.  They know they are gonna get as good as they give.  When you add an extra in like AVB who effectively mostly bringing a physical side right at the moment (his form very ordinary with ball in hand and 50s against) this can add a layer to your team's confidence and rub off on others, helping them stand a little taller and play with a little more confidence imv.  More so the less experienced rookies anyway.

13 hours ago, titan_uranus said:

Yes, his toughness is a good thing.

But don't we get the same sort of attitude from Viney, Gawn, Oliver, May and Hibberd, for starters?

Like, vandenBerg isn't unique in our 22 for being tough.

No he isn't but unfortunately the MFC, in general, hasn't been renowned for being a tough team post about 65 other than through the Swooper years.  We've been rag dolled and man handled for seasons on end.

It's great to have a player in the team who does this to the opp instead.  Even if badly out of form.

Remember early in 2018 vs the Hawks.  Watch that match back in full and see who flew the flag for this club when the Hawks started to get in our face and bully.  In particular Stratton who came out after quarter time and bowled Fritta over (about half his size) when he was running into position at FB at the start of the quarter and no one up forward remonstrated back.  Hogan?  Nup.  Even he got shoved in the side in the same passage by Statton and did nothing and would have clearly seen Fritta go down.

The only player i recall flying the flag on the day, and he did so both on the scoreboard (3 goals in the first) and physically against the Hawks bullying, is no longer at the club.

I'm more than happy to see  the above pathetic scenario flip 180 and have a team brimming with talent but scattered with hard nuts,  maybe one of them well off his best, if it means the opp know they are gonna get as good as they give in the physical stakes win, lose or draw....and maybe a bit more.

As a club the first line in the sand is to make sure you never ever get bullied off or away from the contest without giving it back two fold.  No guts, no spririt, no glory.  The rest of what is needed, skills, cohesion, discipline and winning... can be built around that basic foundation.

Does AVB need to lift his game with ball in hand?  No arguments there.  But, for now, i say he stays.  Loves a challenge and a big game.  I reckon he'll find something extra today and others around him will know he's about.  A nice asset to have when pushing into the eight, finals await.

Edited by Rusty Nails
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Lord Nev said:

Hannan out and vandenBerg still in.

Tell me the absolute lie that Goody doesn't play favourites despite form.

Hannan’s been solid. Not always impactful but has been winning the hard ball and providing much needed poise. A couple of clangers here and there, but whatever. 

VDB has been bloody average. 

So much for Goodwin’s policy of playing the best team at every opportunity. 

Edit: Hannan out with illness. My bad. 

Edited by Mel Bourne

50 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

For those surprised by Hannan's omission; he was ill apparently. 

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/gawn-ruled-out-of-magpies-clash-20200814-p55ls8.html

3 hours ago, Lord Nev said:

Not sure how accurate, but apparently Julian de Stoop tweeted Hannan is out with illness.

If true, why wouldn't MFC just say that? Seems similar to the confusion with Bennell missing earlier this year.

Edit - Also just noticed the AFL website has Hannan as out with illness.

Why the muck around?

Yep, just don't understand why they'd list him as omitted originally. Did a similar kinda thing with Bennell earlier in the year.

• Like 1

You're a disgrace, Tom McDonald and Nathan Jones lost in transition. Fritsch is worthless if he can't kick simple set shots.

That passage inside 50 before was utterly soft, lazy and pathetic from McDonald.

Edited by A F

One of the best scoring quarter with 7 goals.

10 4 to 5.2 

Spargo and a sprinkle around

Colingwood struggling to hold on Melbourne with a sniff hard to hold.

Hope it looks as good as Whitey is saying

Hasn’t A van den Berg made a fool tonight out of those who didn’t have him in this team.

I would have thought that any half smart, long suffering Dees supporter would want a ferocious, hard at it, NEVER take a back step player every day of the week and would defend him to the hilt. 

AVB is far from the most talented but he is the first bloke you want beside you.

Has Mihocek woken up yet?  

Edited by goodwindees
Typo

39 minutes ago, goodwindees said:

Hasn’t A van den Berg made a fool tonight out of those who didn’t have him in this team.

I would have thought that any half smart, long suffering Dees supporter would want a ferocious, hard at it, NEVER take a back step player every day of the week and would defend him to the hilt. 

AVB is far from the most talented but he is the first bloke you want beside you.

Has Mihocek woken up yet?  

What?

3 clangers, 7 turnovers, 0 tackles, 50% disposal efficiency, but because he accidentally knocked someone out he had a good game?

No one doubts he's ferocious, they just want him to contribute more and not turn it over so much.

Wouldn't have thought now was the time for this type of post mate.

1 hour ago, Lord Nev said:

What?

3 clangers, 7 turnovers, 0 tackles, 50% disposal efficiency, but because he accidentally knocked someone out he had a good game?

No one doubts he's ferocious, they just want him to contribute more and not turn it over so much.

Wouldn't have thought now was the time for this type of post mate.

I now have no doubt you have no understanding of the game and are purely driven by stats.  In the first half when the game was won, AVB was absolutely key.  Garry Lyon particularly mentioned him on 3 occasions in the first half as to his good he was.  Anyway, stick to your stats. 

1 minute ago, goodwindees said:

I now have no doubt you have no understanding of the game and are purely driven by stats.  In the first half when the game was won, AVB was absolutely key.  Garry Lyon particularly mentioned him on 3 occasions in the first half as to his good he was.  Anyway, stick to your stats. 

Sometimes stats are useful as they take emotion and mateship out of the equation.

On 8/14/2020 at 10:03 PM, PaulRB said:

As an unapologetic VDB fan I’m loving the Vanders critics rolling out their diminishing opinions on him. Feel no need to defend him as I trust Vanders will do it himself, on the field, this week or next... capable of far more the just “bash and crash”, but you can’t tell some people some things they’ll just have see it for themselves...

Go Demons. 

Reckon Vanders set the hard edged tone early and throughout...

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Docs Demons said:

Will do and have 13 family members going with me all to yell for Dees. Cost me a fortune. Maybe kids will offer to pay but doubt it.

Well done DD. Bet your happy to share the love and the cost today.