Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

The 2020 Trade Period

Whispering_Jack

1 hour ago, Nascent said:

I wouldn't mind if we had a look at the following players.

Zac Fisher - only recently back into their team and has played just the 3 games this year. Has pace, unsure on his skill execution but seems decent based on the limited stuff I've seen of him.

Lochie O'brien - Hasn't played a game all year, don't believe he is injured but may be wrong about that. This one is more from memory of him being a reputed excellent kick on his preferred left and playing that outside role. Perhaps he has other limitations preventing him from cracking into their senior team? Former pick 10.

Paddy Dow - Former pick 3 with pace, has only played the one game this year and is not listed as injured or named in the team/emergencies. Not sure whats going on here? Perhaps returning from injury?

Darcy Tucker - Has spent most of this year injured I believe but is a Vic boy and might want to return home from freo. Excellent distributor of his left. Freo would ask for more than we could give most likely.

Xavier O'Halloran - fighting for a spot in a stacked GWS midfield. The limited stuff I've seen of him indicated that he is a good kick of the footy and seems composed. Don't know too much more about him.

Jye Caldwell - Seems highly rated in footy circles and has been speculated on here a few times as well. Again will face an uphill battle trying to permanently crack into their best 22, particularly with Green to be developed in the coming years as well.

Ian Hill - Small forward from GWS, compliment Kozzie in the other pocket??

Jeremy Sharp - Going by the "inside the draft" video we seemed to be hoping GC would take him to allow Rivers to be free for us, perhaps indicating that we don't rate him? Or perhaps we simply rated Rivers higher and would be keen on acquiring Sharp to join former teammates Jackson and Rivers. Predominant outside winger. In his first year so would more be one to be on the radar for the future.

Brayden Fiorini - Used to really rate him, seemed to be carrying GC midfield along with Swallow over the past few season. Now appears out of favour. Might want to return to Vic if he sees limited opportunities?

Mathew Ling - Spent most of his first two years at the Swans injured, debuted this year and played three consecutive games before being dropped. Lefty with pace. 

I don't watch a heap of games outside the dees so some input or feedback about some of the players from either their junior days or AFL exposure would be welcome. I've tried to target players that can play that outside/wing type role and looked at ones that, in theory, wouldn't cost greatly. I also am largely unaware of their contract status.

From the games I’ve seen of Dow he is a clanger king.  

39 minutes ago, Dr.D said:

i'm sorry but theres nothing used up about Higgins. Pickett has already been extremely fumbly and lacked composure, literally the exact opposite of Higgins 

You must have missed the North game against the dees where you ran around having absolutely zero influence at all. Maybe ask North supporters what they think of him? They want him retired to get games into kids.

Fancy that huh...

1 hour ago, daisycutter said:

nope, not for a fwd pocket averaging 1.5 goals and 13.8 possessions per game

for 2 x 1st rounders i'd want a bloody good key position fwd

Crikey, we gave up 2 picks better than 18 & 19 for Lever!

And pick 6 which we gave for May is worth nearly the points equivalent of 18 & 19.

There were other picks involved of course.

I take your point, but I think Papley has shown this year that he's a very, very handy small forward, despite the staging. Can win games off his own boot

IMO his going price will be about 1800-2000 points, which is about pick 5 or picks 18 & 19. But who the hell knows

It's all moot, we won't get him as we don't have those pick/s. Plus Kozzie will be a beauty, and Spargo is starting to prove many wrong

Williams as a FA is what I want to see us play hard for. Who is on your wish list, dc?

gonna go thru the teams one by one to work out who i like the look of adding to our squad in 2021

adelaide crows

fire sale! i honestly don't really fancy any of their players, but chayce jones was pick 10 in a strong draft - he can't be THAT bad (i.e. as bad as he's looked), can he? other than that...could we get fat guts fogarty to pull his finger out? cows mate tell me he's got the talent but zero workrate. wouldn't want to give up much for either - anb could be involved, potentially? most importantly, could we offer a fresh start for an oft-injured talent like wayne milera? i fully expect that they'll be in the ear of any player from south oztraya on any other team's list in 2020, so they should enquire about sparrow and petty and be told to politely return to adelaide. if they lose both crouch bros. they may offer viney a nice paypacket which we'll have to match

preferences: milera, fogarty, jones

possible trade: anb and future third for milera

Edited by whatwhatsaywhat

brisbane bears

i find it interesting that there's talk about cedric cox but i have no idea why he hasn't kicked on since being drafted; just no spot for him up there? would love alex witherden but we definitely don't have the assets to trade for him given what i think he'd be valued at, but i have no idea whether brisbane have some intangible 'academy' that they can pick the eyes out of in this year's / next year's drafts. can't see us going anywhere near the likes of mathieson, but there has been some talk that tom joyce might be 'gettable' but given that he's from wa i'd expect him to go there rather than to melbourne. i rate noah answerth but that might be just cos he helped me win supercoach match-up one week a few years ago

preferences: witherden, answerth, cox

possible trade: hawthorn's 2nd in 2020, and our 2nd and 3rd in 2021 for witherden so they have more magical, mystical 'points'

carlton blues

i personally think the likes of dow and o'brien are out of favour for a reason; they're no good, and dow in particular is a horrible, horrible user of the ball. doubt they'd let zac fisher go, but he'd be worth thinking about - think the blues rate him so can't see them letting him go in a hurry or on the cheap. other than him there's no one 'realistically available' that i'd be keen on. would they ditch brackets mcgovern cos he's so lazy? get him on the cheap and rehabilitate him as a chb to play alongside may and lever, instead of tomlinson?

preferences: fisher, mcgovern, o'brien

possible trade: hawks' 2nd in 2020 (i expect it to feature a LOT in these hypotheticals as it's one thing we have with actual value) for fisher

the filth

definitely tom phillips; right where we want him in terms of age (25 in 2021), role (outside runner with decent footskills), and ability (he's played some ripper games, particularly on the g). still in contract so can't see them being keen on losing him, but they have a lot of talent - and a lot of father-son talent - coming through that needs games and can play similar roles. would the crocked tom langdon want to play with his brother? pies' backline has been their strength and while langdon is in his pre-agency year i'd be in his ear telling him about darren burgess and how he'll be playing with his brother. the situation with jaidyn stephenson is really interesting; keeping a keen eye on that one as he's clearly a talent. pies are one team who DO need points - they've got quite a few father-sons coming thru, with nick daicos already being talked up - so we could get some things out of them that would benefit our side and help them

preferences: stephenson, phillips, langdon

possible trade: hawks' 2nd in 2020 PLUS our 2nd in 2021 for langdon and phillips

the peptides

darcy 'ellen' parish is out of contract and i would add him to our collection of ex-peptide players we've traded for second round picks and give them a chance to regenerate their list, but i doubt they'd be keen to do this; also expecting cats to use one of their three of this year's firsts that they hold for him. they've never given irving mosquito a 'go' but he looked to be the sort of zippy forward we would be interested in and you can't imagine he'd cost much as, well, he has no exposed form. if anthony mcdonald-tipingwuti was available i'd probably be keen, but i refuse to believe he'll want to leave after hemming and hawing about doing so at the end of the last season. while saad is out of contract you've got to assume he's weighing up options

preferences: saad, parish, mosquito

possible trade: hawks' future 2nd for parish

fremantle dockers

adam cerra is an obvious one, and i think andrew brayshaw is clearly a serious talent but i can't see either of them leaving and we don't really have the assets to tempt freo to trade them to us unless we're sending jackson or rivers back the other way, and that's just not gonna happen. luke valente won't get a look in ahead of the likes of cerra, brayshaw or caleb serong in the midfield and you'd think he's the sort of player the crows would chase. sam sturt showed something on debut but as a mid-sized forward why would he come to us when we seem to have a plethora of that type (melksham, fritsch, hannan, avb, bennell). he's seriously talented tho. darcy tucker doesn't excite me much to be honest but you might be able to get him on the cheap.

preferences: sturt, valente, tucker

possible trade: future 4th for tucker

gc17

i'm presuming they need points, right? there's some darwin lad (who was meant to be boarding at melbourne grammar / scotch / haileybury this year) that they have first dibs on, right? i'd nevertheless be cautious about who you bring in. i don't rate peter wright particularly; not mobile enough or able to apply a scintilla of defensive pressure, but presuming he'd be 'cheap' as he's on a hefty contract and they're not playing him; they get him off their books for points i guess. i can't see what role he would play in our side, other than to take the spot of preuss' in-case-of-emergency-break-brayden role if he gets traded. fiorini looks seriously out of favour but we have a lot of players similar to him, so he'd be depth at best. wil brodie can't make their side at the moment, but i always thought he was pretty talented.

preferences: brodie, fiorini, wright

possible trade: brodie for 3rd round pick

gw$

oh, the seeming riches that they have of players that can't get games! makes ya worry about what they're capable of given how disappointing the giants have been this year. throw a blanket over the young talent time - jackson hately, jye caldwell, xavier o'halloran, ian hill - as to who you'd ideally like to poach for points. i'll take.....caldwell and hill. but the player we really want from this franchise at the end of this season is zac williams. he's more than just a half-back as seen by his stints in the middle last year. josh kelly is effectively a free agent at the end of next year; he has the option of signing a further extension, but that effectively means he's in his pre-agency period. no way we've got the assets to get him

preferences: williams, kelly, caldwell and hill

possible trade: who needs trade when you can just splash the cash? williams as a free agent thanks

• Like 1

hawthorn hawks

not such a happy team, really. what i'd actually like to get outta the hawks at the end of this season is not a player but their current coach as part of our football department - as heard on the "no merger" series he seems to have a genuine affection for the club so perhaps he could even do it on the cheap so he can help manage our soft cap spend on footy ops. hawthorn are such an old squad with minimal talent coming through; i think it's more likely that they come for players from us than we want players from them. perhaps they can have hunt and baker to complement their crazy running former demons with frost and frawley? you'd think they'd want to add midfield depth so they'd be keen on sparrow, bedford potentially to add some small forward with defensive pressure, and given their lack of competitive key forwards who can stay on the field, they might be a possible destination for tom mcdonald

preferences: clarko as head of footy

possible trade: hunt for a 3rd round pick

3 hours ago, whatwhatsaywhat said:

the peptides

darcy 'ellen' parish is out of contract and i would add him to our collection of ex-peptide players we've traded for second round picks and give them a chance to regenerate their list, but i doubt they'd be keen to do this; also expecting cats to use one of their three of this year's firsts that they hold for him. they've never given irving mosquito a 'go' but he looked to be the sort of zippy forward we would be interested in and you can't imagine he'd cost much as, well, he has no exposed form. if anthony mcdonald-tipingwuti was available i'd probably be keen, but i refuse to believe he'll want to leave after hemming and hawing about doing so at the end of the last season. while saad is out of contract you've got to assume he's weighing up options

preferences: saad, parish, mosquito

possible trade: hawks' future 2nd for parish

If Saad is out of contract, that’s gotta be cheaper than Williams as FA, or do I have something [censored] backwards?

13 hours ago, 58er said:

Bit harsh on the smalls Lockhart and Kossie  plus Spargo and Bedford are  work in progress but very promising and near enough to role playing and performing.

Also Jacko will fill in as ruck mid or forward And be of value. This time next year all should be in our best 30 if not now! 
Rivers is only half a season away from getting HB fir the next decade also and sadly Jets has no pace now.

Aldo Preuess  also showed his value last week and is AFL standard.

We  red another KPF Petty might be that or CHB/FB and a Dane Rampe/ Zac Williams type snd snorber outsider it Tom Papley.

Even so all teams have gaps and it's the team Play in the end that  will flourish and succeed under pressure.

Don't think it's harsh I just don't see them as finals standard AFL Players. Yet. I have full confidence Jacko, Rivers, Kozzie and Lockhart can become elite, potentially  Spargo and Bedford. But they all need 50 games under their belts. 

We do have some good depth, Petty, Sparrow, Jordan, Chandler. 

But when targeting in the trade period we should aim for spots we need now. Draft for the future.

4 hours ago, Grr-owl said:

If Saad is out of contract, that’s gotta be cheaper than Williams as FA, or do I have something [censored] backwards?

Yeah, you've got it backwards. We wouldn't have to compensate GWS for Williams, the AFL will just give them a draft pick, whole we'd have to trade for Saad, unless he went to the drafts, but he won't do that. Essendon are horrendous to deal with and will want Trac, Gawn and Oliver for Saad. 

north melbourne 

fire sale 2.0? the likes of ben brown, aaron hall, and jared polec would all seem to be on the chop, while who knows what the go is with the likes of senior players like higgins, goldstein, macmillan. again, it would seem more likely that they'd look to raid us rather than the other way around - they're not giving up the likes of tarryn thomas, luke mcdonald, ben, mckay, jye simpkin, or luke davies-uniacke on the cheap, while i don't rate the likes of paul ahern, mason wood, et al. if we were to target a player, for me it'd be polec, and given his (apparent) exorbitant wage you might be able to get him 'cheaper' than his actual worth; he'll be 28 at the start of next season so he's a 'finisher', as would be higgins. wouldn't want us to go near hall with a 10 ft barge pole, while brown is a great stay at home / lead from the square full forward in an era in which flexibility is paramount and given how he's looked like he's 48 not 28 this year it's hard to judge his worth.

preferences: polec, higgins, brown

possible trade: brayshaw for polec and future 2nd

• Haha 1
  • Shocked 2

2 minutes ago, whatwhatsaywhat said:

Given Polec comes with a large contract over his head and can’t get a game, I wouldn’t be giving north anything back unless they paid some of that, even if they did a late 2nd round is more than enough 

• Like 2

port adelaide

they're not going to be giving up the likes of zak butters or xavier duursma, who are the two i would be really keen on on their list. joe atley could easily be a delisted free agency pick-up but he seems to have completely fallen by the wayside in terms of where his football is at. if they're looking at trading anyone, wines would be the logical one, but i don't think he suits our midfield make-up. i have zero interest in bringing jack watts back to us, and i can't seem them letting the likes karl amon or dan houston go. sam powell-pepper is always discussed as a trade option for them every year, but usually heading home to wa. they do need 'points' with a strong couple of father-sons next season, so it's possible that - given their high position on the ladder - they might be amenable to trading out of this year's draft for next year's points

preferences: butters, duursma, amon

possible trade: our 2021 2nd and 3rd for their 2020 first and 2021 4th round pick (although i think the afl finally got around to banning picks for picks trades, so might have to have a player involved as well)

2 minutes ago, Garbo said:

Given Polec comes with a large contract over his head and can’t get a game, I wouldn’t be giving north anything back unless they paid some of that, even if they did a late 2nd round is more than enough 

they'll want more - polec is not a bad player but seems to have had a falling out with shaw

he's significantly better than a lot of other players on their list and it's interesting that he's not getting a game; i don't think north is trying too hard to win at present

richmond tigers

both jack higgins and daniel rioli have been in and out of their side, and other small forwards have gone rocketing past them but i would presume they're both in dimma's plans going forward. would happily take shai bolton off their hands - he's basically replaced shane edwards' role in their midfield - but there's no way they're letting him go you'd think. nathan broad is ooc and wants to get paid, while riley collier-dawkins is undoubtedly good enough to play afl but breaking into their midfield is a tough ask so he might be looking for further opportunities. sydney stack is another player whose position is uncertain, going in and out of the side a bit with no set role - is he better behind the ball rather than as a forward? crows are presumably all over jack graham while oleg markov is another sa lad they'll undoubtedly be targeting so i can't see them switching to another vic side necessarily

preferences: higgins, rioli, collier-dawkins

possible trade: rioli for hawks' 2nd round pick

st. kilda saints

luke dunstan is out of favour, it would seem, while jack lonie is another player who can't seem to cement a role, while jack sinclair (who i constantly get confused with jade gresham) is another small that doesn't seem to have a spot in their side anymore with their host of players coming in. they've been pretty adamant that they're in the market for a mid to contribute immediately to their best side, so you'd think they'd be keen to chat to the likes of brayshaw, viney from us - if the former, you'd want something good from them coming back the other way; is billings an option as a straight swap? wouldn't go near the likes of jake carlisle or shane savage for either cultural or role reasons.

preferences: lonie, sinclair, their first round pick

possible trade: billings for brayshaw

sydney swans

again, given where they're at, it's easier to imagine that they'd be the ones approaching us rather than vice-versa to help rebuild their midfield. if papley is on the move and adamant he's coming back to victoria in 2021 you'd be crazy not to be all over him; if only we'd rookied him when he was a casey player. ben ronke can't seem to get a game, which is a worry given how easily the swans seem to let the ball waltz outta their forward line - does he not apply enough defensive pressure? oliver florent is a jet; can't see them letting him go in a hurry. i can only presume that they need magical mystical 'points' to get access to their academy players who grew up in victoria then moved to sydney when they were 14 or something

preferences: papley, florent, ronke

possible trade: hunt for ronke 

meth coke

if gaff chooses not to execute his contract extension, i'd be all over him extolling the virtues of the wide open spaces of the mcg (if we return there in 2021 and beyond). jake waterman wants a hefty new contract from all reports but i would imagine that they'll find a way to give it to him. jarrod brander seems like a fringe player but they definitely see him as part of their future side. jack petruccelle is more than good enough to play afl and wouldn't cost an arm or a leg to bring back to victoria you'd think.

preferences: gaff, brander, petruccelle

possible trade: fourth round pick for petruccelle

footscray football club t/a 'western bulldogs'

if lachie hunter really is unhappy, go get him, driving charges notwithstanding. josh schache has completely disappeared from their plans - unsurprising given he's simply a 'lead, mark, kick' player in an era which doesn't favour that type of key forward, and bailey dale can't seem to cement a permanent spot with them anymore either. lin jong is always talked about as a trade option since he toured filth central mid-year one year, but his body seems to constantly let him down.

preferences: hunter, dale, schache

possible trade: future first round for hunter

1 hour ago, whatwhatsaywhat said:

north melbourne 

fire sale 2.0? the likes of ben brown, aaron hall, and jared polec would all seem to be on the chop, while who knows what the go is with the likes of senior players like higgins, goldstein, macmillan. again, it would seem more likely that they'd look to raid us rather than the other way around - they're not giving up the likes of tarryn thomas, luke mcdonald, ben, mckay, jye simpkin, or luke davies-uniacke on the cheap, while i don't rate the likes of paul ahern, mason wood, et al. if we were to target a player, for me it'd be polec, and given his (apparent) exorbitant wage you might be able to get him 'cheaper' than his actual worth; he'll be 28 at the start of next season so he's a 'finisher', as would be higgins. wouldn't want us to go near hall with a 10 ft barge pole, while brown is a great stay at home / lead from the square full forward in an era in which flexibility is paramount and given how he's looked like he's 48 not 28 this year it's hard to judge his worth.

preferences: polec, higgins, brown

Im not against going after Polec but your not trading Brayshaw for him. North will want him and his salary out the door. 3rd round and split his salary 50/50.

• Like 2