• Podcast: No Merger Podcast &      

Mickey

"Soft as butter": Bartlett's stinging attack on Melbourne Players

Great to hear the Pres have a crack. Completely justified.

If we showed any consistency and played at a level near our ability he would be quiet. A public baking is needed.

The playing group need to grow some balls and take responsibility for where this group is going. Or just be like every other decent demons squad of the past 50 years and be happy to just play finals every few years.

Demand more, expect more.

About bloody time

• Like 1

2 hours ago, demonmerv said:

Watched Fox Footy before the Adelaide /north game. Robinson stated that what Bartlett said suggested Goodwin would be sacked it things didnt improve. (I did not read that in the Bartlett statement) It would cost the club over a million bucks to sack Goodwin - it wont happen. Then Brereton said that melbourne is a nothing club, nobody even knows  where the premiership cups are. Hudson pipes up and says they are at the MCG. Robinson  agrees with Hudson. Kings says very little. Most Demon people know that the cups are at Aamie stadium.  The players walk down the corridor past the twelve cups every day when they arrive for work (in normal times). These so called experts should do some research and know what they are talking about before they open their mouths. For what it is worth I think everyone is over reacting. Thursday nights performance was unacceptable, however there was been some awful performances this round and I think with all  these hubs and short turnarounds we are going to see lots of strange happenings. lts hope we rebound next week against the Crows. Go Dees

The statement by Brereton as a nothing club angers me along with many supporters not against him but the fact our club over decades has created this perception & continues to do so.. for too long we have produced false dawns & we just can’t be trusted. unfortunately we are nothing club making up numbers. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Mickey said:

Bernie Vince thinks Bartlett went too far (again don't have access to the article)

https://t.co/NN91skg9DE?amp=1

Here is what Bernie said:

“I haven’t spoken to any of the players yet, but I am sure they would be filthy about that,” Vince said on Triple M on Saturday.

“I would be filthy as a player. That’s not his role. He shouldn’t be saying those sort of comments.

“It is up to the coaches and coaching staff to give you feedback about how you play.

“I have no doubt they would be very disappointed. That is not the chairman’s role.”

• Thanks 3

Just now, Wiseblood said:

“I haven’t spoken to any of the players yet, but I am sure they would be filthy about that,” Vince said on Triple M on Saturday.

“I would be filthy as a player. That’s not his role. He shouldn’t be saying those sort of comments.

“It is up to the coaches and coaching staff to give you feedback about how you play.

“I have no doubt they would be very disappointed. That is not the chairman’s role.”

Well if what Goodwin said a few weeks ago is true it won’t bother them because it’s all “noise”.

As I said earlier I think the comments were for the fans/members/football world more than the players. They would know how much they stank it up on Thursday, it’s up to them to turn it around. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Pates said:

Well if what Goodwin said a few weeks ago is true it won’t bother them because it’s all “noise”.

As I said earlier I think the comments were for the fans/members/football world more than the players. They would know how much they stank it up on Thursday, it’s up to them to turn it around. 

I think you're on the money there.

Bernie would talking about it from a players perspective, but the members are the ones who keep the club running.  Bartlett's 'serve' was more so we, as members, know that the club isn't happy with Thursday nights effort.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

I hope the players are more filthy on their performance, like the Members are

Edited by Sir Why You Little
  • Like 8

If the player's angrily react to honest feedback from the pres about their pathetic performance, instead of having the fortitude to go out and raise their performance, they would only be justifying GB's "soft" opinion.

• Like 6

Also feel "on field leadership" just goes missing at times. Needed someone to give Max a hand when he was being knocked or bumped when away from the play.  And to grab the game by the throat and force it our way.

Name a captain from Melbourne who our opposition thought could win the game off his own work. You might say Neita but I would disagree.  When Lyon was playing at Full forward, if the ball got there, he generally beat his opponent,   but he was not a  tuff  or aggressive leader,   maybe Carl Ditterich....

still disappointed abut Thursday result...we better beat Adelaide....

1 minute ago, 640MD said:

Also feel "on field leadership" just goes missing at times. Needed someone to give Max a hand when he was being knocked or bumped when away from the play.  And to grab the game by the throat and force it our way.

Name a captain from Melbourne who our opposition thought could win the game off his own work. You might say Neita but I would disagree.  When Lyon was playing at Full forward, if the ball got there, he generally beat his opponent,   but he was not a  tuff  or aggressive leader,   maybe Carl Ditterich....

Neita and Todd Viney are the ones that I would say could lift the players with efforts and plays.

I think Max was doing what he could as a player to lift the team on Thursday, in fact he was one of very few who actually kicking it to teammates. I wouldn’t be surprised to see May given an official leadership position next year, he is the first to fly the flag for a teammate. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

28 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

Kennett was very vocal at times & questioned coach & team .. players responded & got on with it .. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, 640MD said:

I only got the back end of Lyon's career but can remember in 98 when he moved in to the middle and laid a big tackle that lifted the team to a win over Carlton at Optus oval. 

• Like 1

Everyone is on notice. Not just Goodwin because the effort was not his fault as some may believe.
I have this sinking feeling we are going to get rolled by the crows.  Then there is no escaping the bloody aftermath. 

• Like 1

Frustrated & initially didn’t mind Bartlett ripping into the group but it’s a fine line as President needs to ensure he’s supporting them & hope this dosent divide them..  

5 hours ago, Swooper1987 said:

Agree.  Other than the period between the last 8 weeks of the 1987 season until the end of 1991( and even then there were some inexplicable fluctuations in performance from round to round) I'd say we have had a softness to us even when we've been playing reasonable footy.  The Northey coached teams were generally hard edged, gave a genuine effort mostly and their record, although they didn't get the ultimate success, was very good against the power teams of that era - Hawthorn, Carlton and Essendon.  That was the real measure of relative hardness and softness and we stood up more often than not against the very best. 5 consecutive years of making at least the second week of finals was an outstanding effort.  Before and since, we have been very flaky.  The Daniher teams were frequently up and down on an evens/odds pattern, Balme's sides were down more than up and thrashed frequently and everyone is aware of our record since 2007. Since Daniher left, Goodwin is now our longest serving coach.  It's an unusual record he is putting together. Since we dropped that prelim final we've won 8 games.  We've beaten Gold Coast twice, Carlton twice, Hawthorn twice and Fremantle and Sydney once each.  4 of those games have been won by less than a goal.  It's not a stellar record by any means. 

I think our attack on the ball is generally good (hard and all that) but mentally we just aren't there. And unfortunately we haven't been for more than 50 years.  How does that change ? 

Some of the players and coaching staff need a lobotomy. Maybe then they might acquire footy smarts. Petracca doesn't need surgery he has it already.

3 hours ago, Lord Nev said:

Greg Stafford coaches our rucks and goal kicking.

This year (anecdotally) we've been poor for ruck contests/clearances and goal kicking.

Well then we should consider not renewing Stafford's contract. Max is very predictable and the opposition continually shark the ball when he drops it to his feet. Y can't he bang it forward 20m into space sometimes mix it up. For that matter y does May always have to kick it to him after a point. Max always positions himself on the boundary and if he doesn't mark or knock the ball over the line it invariably will find its way back over May's head for a goal. 

As far as goal kicking - Stafford was a ruck and never finished high up in the goal kicking awards. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, In Harmes Way said:

This team has a history of coming out in key games and not performing.

2016 - Carlton with 2 rounds to go and with 2 wins a fair chance of finals. Absolutely flat.

2017 - last round vs Pies. A win and we’re playing finals. Didn’t turn up.

2018 - prelim.

2019 - 

2020 - a chance to atone. We’ve only really performed for 1 qtr vs Blues, played ok vs Suns and well against a rabble which is the Hawks. Goody pointing to us being just about there, or just off, vs Brisbane is a joke because we were deplorable for 2 qtrs of footy. And didn’t turn up at all on Thursday. We’re barely flat track bullies.

This is not a new problem. What has the club done in the last 4 yrs under Goody to embed a ruthless mindset? I can’t see it.

2019 - Round 1 vs Port

Edited by dice

4 hours ago, praha said:

Reads like a frustrated executive. The board has done everything right by the club and players and football department. Backed them in, thrown money at talent, brought in fitness gurus, and held off grim financial results to get us into a better position. Fans have donated hundreds of thousands of dollars. Bartlett and co. backed in the coach and team last year but we went in on Thursday night with a near full list to choose from.

And yet, we are still homeless...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hogan2014 said:

The statement by Brereton as a nothing club angers me along with many supporters not against him but the fact our club over decades has created this perception & continues to do so.. for too long we have produced false dawns & we just can’t be trusted. unfortunately we are nothing club making up numbers. 

Brereton is a tool.

• Like 1

Just wondering what Bernie's response was then when PJ said they 'trashed the brand'.

I can hear the keyboards clicking away as the players email the AFLPA as we speak... What a soft club.

• Like 1

I think the leadership void is as big an issue as any other. Max does not make those around him walk taller. He’s a great bloke and probably our best player, but doesn’t command respect from his teammates. Our blokes would not run through a brick wall for him.

The poor bloke is getting belted from pillar to post and no one really cares.

I have long admired the way the powerful Geelong and Hawthorn sides played for each other and were fiercely loyal. It was and will always be a distant dream for us Dees fans.

• Like 1