• Podcast: Trade Week   

• Podcast: Trade Week   

"Soft as butter": Bartlett's stinging attack on Melbourne Players

“I was pretty clear post-game that the performance was unacceptable and we need to be better as a footy club,” Simon Goodwin said.

“Our players, our coaches, everyone involved knows that, and our chairman backed that up with pretty strong comments - comments that were warranted. It wasn’t acceptable and we need to do better.

“When the chairman speaks, you’ve got to listen and it’s clear as a footy club that we want to do better.”

“I’ve spoken to Glen at length and he’s had nothing but support for myself,” Goodwin said.

“I was employed to lead this footy club with a clear strategy, and to lead us to our next premiership.

“I’m still very confident that we’re going to be able to do that. If that puts pressure on me, those comments, I’ve got to accept that.

“I take responsibility for that performance and I know where we’re where at".

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here are some of the choice words he used: "It was disgraceful.  When you pull on a Melbourne jumper, we don't give them out in Weeties packets" "You have to show respect for the jumper and

Here are a few more that I missed: "I have defended our footy department, our coaches and players my whole tenure but I can't defend that.  How can you defend that? "I said at the start of t

Scathing alright.  Never seen him react this way before. I am also glad that internally they're fuming big time.

Posted Images

21 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

goodwin-responds-to-chairman-s-claims

“I was pretty clear post-game that the performance was unacceptable and we need to be better as a footy club,” Simon Goodwin said.

“Our players, our coaches, everyone involved knows that, and our chairman backed that up with pretty strong comments - comments that were warranted. It wasn’t acceptable and we need to do better.

“When the chairman speaks, you’ve got to listen and it’s clear as a footy club that we want to do better.”

“I’ve spoken to Glen at length and he’s had nothing but support for myself,” Goodwin said.

“I was employed to lead this footy club with a clear strategy, and to lead us to our next premiership.

“I’m still very confident that we’re going to be able to do that. If that puts pressure on me, those comments, I’ve got to accept that.

It's a strange media strategy, but it has the impact of both putting the coaches and players on notice, and paradoxically seeming to me, like the club is all on the same page. The performance was unacceptable and we'll do better.

Let's see.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, A F said:

Personally, I think this is dreamland.

It is 100% dreamland. In keeping with most of what's posted on these forums.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
6 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Wilson had a real crack at Bartlett last night on Footy Classified. 
trying to find it online..

Anyone else see it?

Was watching but didn't have my full attention on it. She said something like he should have kept his comments in house and he should be prepared for criticism himself. He is sensitive to being criticized and should take any heat. I'm not sure why she mentioned this, perhaps she knows how he has reacted in the past and knows his character. It was a fairly cryptic comment I thought at the time. I didn't really understand what she meant.

Few interesting (and not) bits from the media around this:

- Tom Morris is a Dees fan (Gday Tom)

- MFC has the 4th best balanced finances in the AFL (WTF?! Nice!)

- Both Goodwin and Max responded exactly as you’d like (albeit not yet where it counts, on the field) and I did not get any sense of disunity.

- Comments of the ‘coach having lost the players’ make sense from the outside but nothing that comes from the inside reflects that, and Max seemed equally as baffled as us about why we were so soft and ****house. 

- My guess would be that Bartlett told Goody he was going with this, and it is a good strategy to let us, as members and fans, know that MFC is not accepting the standards we have all grown up with and been wallowing in over the last few days (years/decades)

Im gonna keep backing us. Go Dees.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, A F said:

We're in a time of great economic uncertainty. Goodwin has three kids (I think) and a house in Melbourne and Rye. He's also clearly an incredibly driven person. There's no way he offers his resignation. 

I agree.

I think @Bring-Back-Powell's idea that Goodwin might resign is wishful thinking in the extreme.

If the club isn't going to remove him, Goodwin will, completely fairly, back himself in to get the job done.

If we're bad enough that he has to go, the club will make the call.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Dame Gaga said:

Was watching but didn't have my full attention on it. She said something like he should have kept his comments in house and he should be prepared for criticism himself. He is sensitive to being criticized and should take any heat. I'm not sure why she mentioned this, perhaps she knows how he has reacted in the past and knows his character. It was a fairly cryptic comment I thought at the time. I didn't really understand what she meant.

Watched it as a woman found it ordinary - called him a glass jaw tried to say oh he should have run it past goody and the players first. Hutchy who I’m generally not a fan of said - Why? He’s the Boss and no one can argue about what he said or was that Lloyd? How ridiculous I generally like Caro but she did not any make sense and seems to have an axe to grind - she send something about her mates who have put money Into Club in the past have been excluded from having a say ? Go figure anyway she laid her cards on table not worth watching

• Thanks 1

At least 99% of Melbourne supporters aren't allowed out of their homes now, so nobody can pick on you for being a Melbourne supporter if we lose tomorrow. 

2 hours ago, Jack Russell said:

Watched it as a woman found it ordinary - called him a glass jaw tried to say oh he should have run it past goody and the players first. Hutchy who I’m generally not a fan of said - Why? He’s the Boss and no one can argue about what he said or was that Lloyd? How ridiculous I generally like Caro but she did not any make sense and seems to have an axe to grind - she send something about her mates who have put money Into Club in the past have been excluded from having a say ? Go figure anyway she laid her cards on table not worth watching

Yes, thanks for that. I really had no idea what she was referring to in her comments about people feeling excluded from the club. Like I said, it was all cryptic and a mystery to me. I would have to hear it again to comment properly about it. It was late at night and it went over my head. I was stressing about the stage 4 restrictions.😔

7 hours ago, A F said:

We're in a time of great economic uncertainty. Goodwin has three kids (I think) and a house in Melbourne and Rye. He's also clearly an incredibly driven person. There's no way he offers his resignation. 

What about his mental health?

What about the insane amount of pressure he’ll be under if we finish 16th-17th this year and the only reason the club couldn’t sack him was because they couldn’t afford to.

The blokes been under the most severe of pressure ever since the conclusion of the round 1 Port game of 2019. How much more could he and his family put up with?

Look I’m sure he won’t resign, but you couldn’t 100% rule it out if things go south for the rest of the year.

Edited by Bring-Back-Powell
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

What about the insane amount of pressure he’ll be under if we finish 16th-17th this year and the only reason the club couldn’t sack him was because they couldn’t afford to.

Look I’m sure he won’t resign, but you couldn’t 100% rule it out if things go south for the rest of the year.

I agree that his mental health would take a battering, but I reckon he'd just justify it by saying it's part of the job.

If things go south for the rest of the year, the club will make the decision for him, IMO.

Time for talk is over, today we need action. They need to set the standard today from the opening bounce and go all the way through to the final siren.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Easily fixed though

We keep hiring First Time Coaches

***Stop doing it***

We need the Best Coach in the land

( should have been Ratten a few years back, but Roos held the decision)

We really should have had Ratten

We had two opportunities and ignored him

Club management is still a bad joke

• Like 2
14 hours ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

I’ve spoken to Glen at length and he’s had nothing but support for myself,” Goodwin said.

Yep you have the full support of the board  They are the words nobody want to hear

Its the prelude to packing your desk on Monday

• Haha 1

No amount of media, supporter and internal berating will help this team. 

From everything we know the players have trained and have demonstrate the skills required on the training track. They simply are not able to transfer the basic's from the training track to an actual game.

The very basic skills, pick the ball up rather than fumble all the time, hand ball to player on the run or more than 3 meters away, shepherd the player that is over the ball, rather than try and grab it out of his hands and kick the ball to a leading player. These are the very basic skills that this team cannot do in a game. 

I watched the top sides and they are clean with the ball and most importantly they are coached to provide space by shepherding at center bounces and in all contests to provide time for the person playing the ball to execute a skill better or cleanly. 

The next disaster is that if a player is kicking long to a contest, we should players front center and around the contest. The number of times we see a kick to the contest; say from full back to Max. He is the only player at the contest and there is a minimum of three to four opposition players around him and not a Melbourne midfield player in site. These are the basics, just watch Richmond and the better teams do this verbatim. 

Finally when we have the ball our field kicking is atrocious; this is due to two factors. The first is that our small forwards think it is a plan to always stand behind the backs hoping for the easy ball over the top, rather than leading towards the ball carrier. Two, they have no faith in the person with ball in hand  to kick it to them on the lead.

To be honest this team would win more games by just kicking it off the ground at the contest in the direction of the goal rather than waste time in trying to pick the ball up and then kick or hand ball to the opposition. At least by kicking it of the ground there is a 50/50 chance that it may end up in the hands of the team mate, whilst in later you can be sure it will only end up it the hands of the opposition.

These issues are not the Coaches problems, because no matter how hard you try and train the players to perform the skill, if the players do not have the brains to carry these skills out on the field of play then it will never change.

Richmond kept their coach but got rid of players that could not perform the basic skills required in a game no matter how talented they may have been on the training track.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pates said:

Time for talk is over, today we need action. 

At least this week it seems that we all seem to agree that the talk was spot on and just what we all wanted to hear.

When your Pres comes out to send a rocket up the entire coaching and playing group, you sit up and take notice.  Hopefully we see the right response to that tonight!

3 minutes ago, Balance Demon said:

No amount of media, supporter and internal berating will help this team. 

From everything we know the players have trained and have demonstrate the skills required on the training track. They simply are not able to transfer the basic's from the training track to an actual game.

The very basic skills, pick the ball up rather than fumble all the time, hand ball to player on the run or more than 3 meters away, shepherd the player that is over the ball, rather than try and grab it out of his hands and kick the ball to a leading player. These are the very basic skills that this team cannot do in a game. 

I watched the top sides and they are clean with the ball and most importantly they are coached to provide space by shepherding at center bounces and in all contests to provide time for the person playing the ball to execute a skill better or cleanly. 

The next disaster is that if a player is kicking long to a contest, we should players front center and around the contest. The number of times we see a kick to the contest; say from full back to Max. He is the only player at the contest and there is a minimum of three to four opposition players around him and not a Melbourne midfield player in site. These are the basics, just watch Richmond and the better teams do this verbatim. 

Finally when we have the ball our field kicking is atrocious; this is due to two factors. The first is that our small forwards think it is a plan to always stand behind the backs hoping for the easy ball over the top, rather than leading towards the ball carrier. Two, they have no faith in the person with ball in hand  to kick it to them on the lead.

To be honest this team would win more games by just kicking it off the ground at the contest in the direction of the goal rather than waste time in trying to pick the ball up and then kick or hand ball to the opposition. At least by kicking it of the ground there is a 50/50 chance that it may end up in the hands of the team mate, whilst in later you can be sure it will only end up it the hands of the opposition.

These issues are not the Coaches problems, because no matter how hard you try and train the players to perform the skill, if the players do not have the brains to carry these skills out on the field of play then it will never change.

Richmond kept their coach but got rid of players that could not perform the basic skills required in a game no matter how talented they may have been on the training track.

Interesting and well balanced view BD.  I agree with your comments particularly the positioning of small forwards

Surely our idiots are not trained to do it this way. Also Melbourne have never shepherded to protect the ball carrier for the last 20 years in my view 

Richmond Brisbane and Port all do it naturally is a part of their DNA

1 hour ago, Kent said:

Interesting and well balanced view BD.  I agree with your comments particularly the positioning of small forwards

Surely our idiots are not trained to do it this way. Also Melbourne have never shepherded to protect the ball carrier for the last 20 years in my view 

Richmond Brisbane and Port all do it naturally is a part of their DNA

There is far less shepherding these days by all clubs. Instead players are trying to move to a position to get involved in a handball chain and only rarely shepherding instead.  I'm not sure we are worse than others though it's only when watching MFC matches that I scream out "FCS shepherd".

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, sue said:

There is far less shepherding these days by all clubs. Instead players are trying to move to a position to get involved in a handball chain and only rarely shepherding instead.  I'm not sure we are worse than others though it's only when watching MFC matches that I scream out "FCS shepherd".

Especially when the player who should put on the shepherd is a worse ball user/slower (of disposal or mind) or flat footed compared to the guy with the ball in had. 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

The blokes been under the most severe of pressure ever since the conclusion of the round 1 Port game of 2019. How much more could he and his family put up with?

What about our mental health? I've had 50 years of this [censored]

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/16/2020 at 11:03 AM, one_demon said:

The kick in the butt the team needed.

Yeah it didn't last long though. Hardly a surprise.

Bartlett and Pert should remove Goodwin, Mahoney, Richo and all the assistans ASAP

Only two people Id keep would be Jason Taylor and Darren Burgess.

• Like 1