• Podcast: Jason Taylor   

"Soft as butter": Bartlett's stinging attack on Melbourne Players

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here are some of the choice words he used: "It was disgraceful.  When you pull on a Melbourne jumper, we don't give them out in Weeties packets" "You have to show respect for the jumper and

Here are a few more that I missed: "I have defended our footy department, our coaches and players my whole tenure but I can't defend that.  How can you defend that? "I said at the start of t

Scathing alright.  Never seen him react this way before. I am also glad that internally they're fuming big time.

Posted Images

Straight out of the Peter Jackson playbook of early 2018 vs Hawthorn.:  "The players trashed our brand". 

We made the prelim that year.  Hmmm...can we do it again?

• Like 1

Here are some of the choice words he used:

"It was disgraceful.  When you pull on a Melbourne jumper, we don't give them out in Weeties packets"

"You have to show respect for the jumper and the fans, and apart from a few blokes last night, it was an insipid performance.  It wasn't Melbourne-like and it won't be tolerated going forward"

"We pride ourselves on a tough, competitive brand of footy and on providing entertainment in the way we play.  We were on the right track in the last three weeks but that was as soft as butter"

"Not everyone (was soft), but it's a numbers game and I was scratching my head as to what I was watching as I'm sure were so many Melbourne fans.  It was so un-Melbourne like and I never want to see that again"

He didn't pull any punches!

• Like 22
  • Thanks 5

Good!

We saw Port at 9 goals up with 5 minutes to go continuing to hunt us in packs and smashing us with their tackling. 

Players and coaches always say they don’t listen to outside ‘noise’, well hopefully this makes them feel like we feel all the bloody time.

• Like 13

Here are a few more that I missed:

"I have defended our footy department, our coaches and players my whole tenure but I can't defend that.  How can you defend that?

"I said at the start of the year we are absolutely going to be a club of no excuses.  I don't want any excuses.  I started to hear about a four day turnaround... Well we have been talking about how ready and fit we are.  Don't talk about that, even as supporters."

"The players understand what it means when you wear the Melbourne jumper and we have done a lot, even over the last few weeks on that.  They completely trashed it last night and they need to address it and they need to take ownership of if.  I can't play full forward.  Perty can't play at centre half back.  There is no excuse for anything but results."

Edited by Wiseblood
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 5
  • Love 4

So this is Bartlett the president?

When I saw the headline post I thought it was KB...

Good to hear him come out and give them a spray.

He's right, all we've had is excuses starting back from and including the 2018 prelim...

Edited by rjay
  • Like 7
1 minute ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Jesus he sure didn't hold back did he...

It's good to see to be honest.  Those quotes about probably encapsulate most of the things that have been posted on here in the last 36 hours.

One thing I got out of it was that he won't tolerate these sort of performances.  If they continue then I can see Bartlett swinging the axe and moving on as quickly as possible.  

However, you would like to think that in the coming weeks we'll make the right response and put Thursday night well and truly behind us.  I'm hopeful that it was the rocket we need to get ourselves into gear.

• Like 6

Hallelujah! Thank Fork for this! At last some fire and brimstone from the top. This is exactly what a good organisation needs: support your people as much as possible, but not at all costs. Have just listened to the fantastic Demonland podcast from last night - as Adrian said, the President, CEO and supporters are top of the tree, not the coach and players. The football club is so much greater than individual players or coaches and must come first. Well done Glenn.

• Like 5

It’s actually really refreshing to hear someone in the club come out and say what needed to be said. I’ve always had the view of I can accept a loss when the effort to win was there, the effort was not there and that is simply not acceptable.

• Like 12
10 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

It's good to see to be honest.  Those quotes about probably encapsulate most of the things that have been posted on here in the last 36 hours.

One thing I got out of it was that he won't tolerate these sort of performances.  If they continue then I can see Bartlett swinging the axe and moving on as quickly as possible.  

However, you would like to think that in the coming weeks we'll make the right response and put Thursday night well and truly behind us.  I'm hopeful that it was the rocket we need to get ourselves into gear.

You would hope so, but how often do we see these little upsurges in form after a belting in the press, only for the players to revert back to form as soon as the pressure is off? I love this from Bartlett - there’s not much that’s open to interpretation with what he says: shape up or ship out.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

I can't play full forward.  Perty can't play at centre half back.  There is no excuse for anything but results."

Thanks for this Wiseblood.

The above statement puts the entire FD on notice in my opinion. The Board have provided anything they need and stability in difficult times. As a former managing Partner at Clayton Utz, I suspect Bartlett will aggressively deal with those with shortcomings.

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

I think the point how to be made about capabilities.  The Demons efforts in contested possessions is our plan A.  I’m always thinking our effort is unquestionably strong.  Viney. Harmes. Trac. Oliver. Sparrow.  Etc. we go in hard.  But Port Power at least equaled or beat us for contested footy.  So you need skill to use the footy to prevent having to go to another contest.  

I think Bartlett should question our skills.  Getting the ball from A to B.  Footskills are the worst in the league.  Some 5 metre handballs missed their mark.  Some where there was no pressure. Goody needs to fix it now !! 

• Like 1

There is a time for this and now was the right time. The President is there on behalf of the brand and the members. He spoke beautifully on behalf of both. The response will be interesting as after watching Brisbane trounce Essendon last night I am still convinced our best can go with the best. We need to fix the structural issues of last week (2 tall forwards please and play a defensive wingman) and make 3-4 changes based on output. The rest is all application and focus. 

• Like 8

First honest response from this club in years. The next two week will show a lot. I am going to chip in some money based on that. It doesn’t score goals and points but he’ll it make you feel better

• Like 4
1 minute ago, big_red_fire_engine said:

We need to fix the structural issues of last week (2 tall forwards please and play a defensive wingman) and make 3-4 changes based on output. 

This will be interesting to see, as Goodwin mentioned in his press conference that while the three talls didn't work, he would like to see what happens when it does.  Hopefully he understands that seeing 'when it works' is for another time and not this week against the Crows.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

How many rockets do we need though? We've been saying this for years.

In regards to the article, it's extremely satisfying to read those quotes from the president. I don't think he's ever reacted like this so hopefully it has a big effect on the playing group.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Luther said:

How many rockets do we need though? We've been saying this for years.

In regards to the article, it's extremely satisfying to read those quotes from the president. I don't think he's ever reacted like this so hopefully it has a big effect on the playing group.

Very true, Luther.  I know I've said it a few times in passing over the years that 'this could be the rocket we need'.

But I guess even a broken clock is right twice a day, so maybe it will be true this time around!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

That was refreshing from Bartlett.  It was needed, the clubs brand is [censored] at the moment and Goodwin and his playing group either respect it or get out.  I watched Mahoney in the podcast, I am now of the view he is part of the problem.  Maybe the club should get Balme to head footy dept!!!

• Like 2

I'd like to see them employee an external "consultant" to impartially observe practices, communication, relationships etc within the FD and conduct interviews to find the real source of the issues.

Someone with experience within a football club who the players and line coaches would feel comfortable to speak openly to.

I like this rocket from Bartlett but in reality, yelling publicly about pride for the jumper with no clear developmental approach is counterproductive. You can guarantee that some players and officials will resent being made to feel like a butter softie when they personally they've tried everything within their power.

We've seen what's happened at Adelaide...

• Like 1